Therein Your Heart Lies by Erviniae
Summary: Friends meet once again in Valinor. Not all is as it seems.
Categories: FPS Characters: Erestor, Galadriel, Glorfindel
Type: None
Warning: AU
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2396 Read: 1412 Published: November 02, 2009 Updated: November 02, 2009
Story Notes:
This is a story that I had written a few years back, but never had an ending to.

I dedicate this now finished story to Aglarien and her Mr. C. A love story.

Beta: All mistakes are mine.

1. Chapter 1 by Erviniae

Chapter 1 by Erviniae
Anticipation welled within him. Two years had passed since they had seen each other. Could have been two hundred for how it felt to him. For near two thousand years before, they had resided together in the Last Homely House. Working side-by-side, sharing meals, sharing their lives. There was a hole deep within him that could only be filled by the former Captain of Imladris.

Upon reaching the shores of Aman, they had parted ways. Glorfindel, finally reunited with his family after millennia, eagerly joined them as his services to the House of Elrond were finally fulfilled.

Erestor stayed on with Elrond's household, often visiting his mother and grandparents who resided close to the Peredhil abode. Erestor's father had been a mortal, who died in the Battle of the Last Alliance, and his mother sailed to Valinor to spare herself from fading, but not before Erestor promised to be counted among the Eldar when time came for his choice.

This night Elrond was throwing a large celebration in honor of last month's arrival of his twin sons. Galadriel along with Celebrian and the ever-crucial eye of Erestor, equipped the gardens with tables dressed with gauzy white linens, and delicate pink roses in individual mithril vases adorned each one, lending an air of sweet fragrance to the display.

The guests began to arrive greeted by the Lord and Lady at the entrance to the gardens, while Erestor stood upon an overlooking balcony, his hands gripping the balustrade so tight that his knuckles turned white from the pressure. And then he saw it-golden hair flowing in the breeze and his heart threatened to leap from his very chest it was beating so hard. Shivers ran throughout his spine and then his smile failed, a feeling of dread reached the pit of his empty stomach, threatening to spill forth, for on Glorfindel's arm was a pretty little ellith whom was being introduced proudly to Elrond at this very moment. "It is a pleasure to meet you," came the confident reply in a lovely voice to Erestor's ears, as the ellith greeted Elrond.

The ellith was indeed lovely, golden hair braided behind delicately pointed ears, a slender arm linked through the muscular strength that was Glorfindel's own. 'This is ridiculous,' Erestor chastised himself for his feelings of jealousy, 'he is my friend, I should rejoice in his happiness.'

Looking around, Glorfindel smiled wide, "Where is he?"

Laughing, Elrond replied with amusement, "he is no doubt seeing to some slight imperfection to the celebrations." Glorfindel threw his head back and laughed heartily. They all knew him so well. Erestor smiled despite his own dismay; Glorfindel's very presence was infecting. His light so strong that it made one want to bask in its glow.

"Glorfindel!" shrieked the twin sons of Elrond as they ran to their friend and once tutor and hugged him tightly. Glorfindel embraced them fiercely back. "It is so good to have you home with us." Erestor could see tears glistening in his long time friend's eyes, not only for the twin's return but also because of the unspoken sadness of the absence of their sister.

Erestor decided to wait no further and made his way to the gardens below. Espying the dark silken hair, Glorfindel smiled brightly, excusing himself from Lothiel, walking to meet the counselor halfway.

Unable not to smile, Erestor found that he was shaking with anticipation. Standing now before his friend, Glorfindel bowed his head and gave Erestor the warrior greeting, a high sign of respect between comrades. Erestor mimicked the action until he found himself in the embrace of his dearest friend. His arms instinctively went around the warrior as they held onto each other for the briefest of moments. Inhaling deeply, Erestor choked out, "I have missed you my friend."

"Aye," came a similar reply.

"You look well," smiled Glorfindel.

"As do you." Erestor laughed at their sudden awkwardness.

"Tis odd not seeing you every day," Erestor said as he immediately wished he could take back the desperate sounding words.

"Come, I want you to meet someone." Glorfindel placed a hand on the small of Erestor's back, guiding him to the ellith who stood with the Peredhil family looking upon them with amusement in her eyes.

This is what Erestor came to dread. Why did he not write to Glorfindel of his feelings, why had he had never ridden to his family's home to see if Glorfindel could ever feel the same for him. He knew it was rare, a pairing between males among the firstborn, but it was not forbidden. And now all was lost. He suddenly felt dizzy, his vision blurring. Onward he let himself be guided until he was standing before an amused ellith. Erestor could not deny her beauty. And her eyes, they were so blue; one could lose themselves in their depths. Yes, Glorfindel chose well, indeed.

"My dear, this is Counselor Erestor of whom I have spoken about," Glorfindel began their introductions, sealing this reality into place.

"It is a pleasure counselor, for I have heard much about you and many a tale."

Erestor bowed gracefully, straightening to take her hand to his lips, "I fear what you may have been regaled with, my lady." He was as gracious as ever to the one who was now first in his friend's heart.

"Erestor, this is Lothiel, my sister." Glorfindel looked at her with such pride in his eyes.

"The honor is all mine, my lady," Erestor put all his diplomatic charm into play for inside he felt like screaming. The way that Glorfindel had looked upon her…. he shivered at the thought.

"Nay my lord, I assure you that my brother spoke only with fondness in any tale he told me." Her familiar blue eyes sparkled in her mirth.

Familiar blue eyes, yes, they were, wherever did he see the likes, and then it all hit him at once and he swayed just a bit, "brother?"

"Aye, brother." Lothiel smiled at the odd look upon the counselor's face.

"Oh, you thought?"

"You do not have a sister, Glorfindel." Erestor turned to his long time friend in disbelief.

"I do, I mean, I did not," stammered Glorfindel.

"What my brother is so eloquently trying to say is that he did not know he had a sister for I was born after our parents were settled upon the shores of Aman."

"Oh how delightfully splendid." Erestor said with much happiness. Not only for his friend but because this ellith was not a love interest.

"It is, I am so lucky to have a sister, and she is a delight my friend. I would love for her to get to know you as I have." Glorfindel smiled that beautifully wide smile of his.

"I wish for nothing more." Erestor answered truthfully.

Glorfindel had hoped that Lothiel and Erestor would make a match, for he knew his friend was often lonely. Though words of such were never spoken betwixt the two, Glorfindel often saw as much in those dark eyes. In all their long years of friendship, he had only once seen the counselor take an interest in a romantic liaison. It was fiery little ellith with hair to match her spirit: she a junior counselor for Lothlorien. It had taken much courage for Erestor to ask for permission to court her to see if they would be well suited. She had politely declined. It seems she was being courted by a certain marchwarden and was about to accept his proposal for betrothal. Erestor's pride had been stung, the damage done, and never again did Glorfindel notice his friend seek interest in any other.

The evening grew late after much merriment. Erestor had danced with Lothiel as had Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel.

Galadriel sat next to Erestor while Glorfindel danced with Lothiel. "My lady," Erestor smiled as he inclined his head.

"Erestor your feelings for him are strong. Will you tell him or forever deny yourself?" She whispered for his hearing only.

Startled by her words, he looked about nervously. "I cannot lose our friendship, tis all I have."

"You have much to gain if he is agreeable."

"And much to lose if he is not," Erestor was quick to reply.

Glorfindel had looked over at him at that moment and smiled. Erestor's heart raced, he ached inside with longing.

"I do not think that he would reject your friendship if you declared more to him." She smiled and touched his hand gently in support.

Erestor sucked in a breath, "Have you foreseen this, my lady?"

"Nay counselor, I have not, it is just from the experiences of a very old Elf," and with that she left the table.

Sighing heavily Erestor did what he always did when worried; he walked. The night air was slightly cool against his face as he walked the vast gardens. Fragrances of varied flowers assaulted his senses soothingly. Coming to the end of the garden, he leaned against the stone fence, which over looked the beach and the vast ocean beyond. It was a most tranquil sight to behold. The moon shone bright and glistened upon the water like fireflies twinkling into darkness. He stayed that way for quite some time, contemplating Galadriel's words carefully.

"What has you so deep in thought on such a beauteous night?"

Erestor started, "Glorfindel, you cad, you nearly made my heart leap from my chest!"

Laughing low, the warrior shook his head in mirth. "That is what all the ladies tell me."

Erestor crooked an eyebrow, "Are you implying that I act as an ellith, captain?"

"No, no," he kept laughing… that beautiful deep laugh.

"I will be sad to see you leave." Erestor spoke truthfully into those blue eyes he so loved. Glorfindel nodded only in agreement. Erestor panicked. Did Glorfindel lose that closeness they had once shared? Was he now replaced with something or someone else?

"Lothiel is a lovely ellith, that must have come as such a surprise to you."

"Aye, that it was and that she is." Glorfindel stated. "We have become close, I enjoy her company."

"As you should." Silence reigned for what felt like hours. "I am happy for you my friend."

"Thank you."

They both faced the ocean, leaning upon the balustrade, hands almost touching.

"Erestor, I…"

"Glorfindel, I…" Both spoke at the same time.

Facing each other, Erestor bit his bottom lip in thought, and then finally he began to speak. "Glorfindel, I have something to say, but I need your friendship, if what I say offends you in any way, please promise me that you will still be my friend. For I value our friendship above all things."

Glorfindel listened intently. "I promise. Nothing you can say would break our friendship."

"I love you." Erestor said into those eyes he wanted to become lost in.

"And I love you." Glorfindel replied the same.

"No, I mean, I am in love with you, I can't sleep, I can't breath for thinking of you. These past two years have been torture for me."

Glorfindel just stared after his friend of millennia. Growing nervous, Erestor felt tears begin to well in his eyes but he held them back from sheer will alone. Turning his head quizzically to the side, Glorfindel looked at Erestor with utter confusion.

"Glorfindel?" Erestor barely whispered his name.

Glorfindel shook his head and began to walk back to the house. Erestor watched in disbelief at the retreating form of his one true love, his friend, and he did what he had felt like doing all night, he turned and with his head facing the sand, lost what little content had been in his stomach.

Glorfindel strode back to the party in stunned silence. He had not expected that declaration. Seeing his distress, Lothiel came to his side. "Is all well, brother?"

"I am quite tired and need to lie down."

"Shall I accompany you?"

"Nay, you keep enjoying yourself." He told her while kissing her forehead before heading to the rooms set up for him that night.

After composing himself as best as he could, Erestor stealthily took the back entrance to the house. Walking past the guest rooms he paused before Glorfindel's door. Reaching up to knock, he suddenly pulled his hand back and continued down the corridor.

Glorfindel was sitting upon the bed as he sensed a presence beyond the door. Seeing a shadow move under the door-he knew it was Erestor, and then the shadow was gone.


A fitful night's sleep found Glorfindel awake early. After freshening up and dressing, he made his way to break his fast with the household. Entering the dining hall slowly, he found he was not the only one early to dine. In the corner of the room, in the last seat, at the last table, sat a weary looking Erestor nursing a cup of now cold tea, his eyes turned toward the open window. The scent of the crisp morning sea-air blew gently throughout the room. Wisps of ebony hair twirled within the breeze's grasp. Glorfindel's heart threatened to burst from his breast.

"Go to him, brother, for therein your heart lies." Lothiel had arrived unnoticed, behind her brother but a few minutes. "Two years now you have regaled me with tales of your friend, Erestor. Two years your soul has cried out for its partner…go to him." She nudged her brother's arm gently. He turned to face his newfound sister, a look of wonder on his handsome face. Lothiel just nodded. Leaning forward he placed a gentle kiss upon his sister's cheek. He went to him.

Erestor found himself looking into the eyes of the bluest sea, Glorfindel's. Crouched before him, strong hands removed the cup of tea and held his tight. This time Erestor cocked his head to the side in a gesture of confusion.

"Forgive an old fool his reaction last night. I was caught off guard by your declaration and wish your forgiveness for my lack of action or reflection." Erestor's eyes beheld confusion and ...hope?

"I love you," Glorfindel declared with such passion that Erestor had no doubts of his meaning.

"Just as I foresaw," smiled the Lady Galadriel, with a twinkle in her eye, as she and Lothiel watched the two before them share their first kiss of professed love.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=1976