Waking Dreams by Jade
Summary: Elrond muses on the night and memories of Gil-galad.
Categories: FPS > Gil-galad/Elrond, FPS, FPS > Elrond/Gil-galad Characters: Elrond, Gil-galad
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 752 Read: 1014 Published: July 01, 2011 Updated: July 01, 2011
Story Notes:
The song lyrics quoted in this fic are from Sarah McLachlan's 'Possession.'

1. Chapter 1 by Jade

Chapter 1 by Jade
Listen as the wind blows from across the great divide,
Voices trapped in yearning, memories trapped in time,
The night is my companion and solitude my guide,
Would I spend forever here and not be satisfied?


It is dark here on the balcony and a cool wind ruffles my hair, but I cannot return to my chambers yet. It is only here, with the stars shining above me, that I can still hear your voice. It is only here that my memories of you are crystal clear, and I am unwilling to give them up even for a moment. For three thousand years the night has been my only true companion, but it is a small comfort compared to the hours I once spent in your arms. I would spend forever in these memories of you if I could, and still I do not think I could ever be satisfied.

Through this world I've stumbled, so many times betrayed,
Trying to find an honest word, to find the truth enslaved,
Oh, you speak to me in riddles and you speak to me in rhymes,
My body aches to breathe your breath, your words keep me alive.


When one lives as long as I have, betrayal is inevitable I suppose. I do not think I have ever before or after been betrayed as I was with Isildur. Though I feel that I must take some of the blame for his fall. Had I not been stricken with grief I might have been better able to persuade him to give up the ring. But instead of focusing on Isildur as I should have, my mind was only seeing you as you took your last breath. That is one memory that I often wish could be forgotten so that I would no longer have to remember the pain that was in your eyes, pain at having failed Elendil and pain at having to leave me.

But it is also that same memory that allows me to continue here. Your final words bind me to life as nothing else ever could. As you lay dying you did not speak of the battle, the ring, or the Dark Lord. Your last breath was spent begging me to care for our people and to live for you since you could not. I made a vow that dark day, and nothing shall make me break it.

Into this night I wander, it's morning that I dread,
Another day of knowing of the path I fear to tread,
Into the sea of waking dreams I follow without pride,
Nothing stands between us here and I won't be denied.


I find myself leaving the balcony and walking through the gardens, paying little attention to exactly where I am wandering. The further into the maze I go, the more I feel you near me and the more I find myself fearing the dawn. The rising of the sun will push the dreams of you away, leaving me to walk the path alone that I shared with you for so long.

I can hear water flowing beneath the bridge under my feet and I cannot help but smile sadly. I feel no longing for the sea. All of my desire has been bent on you and it leaves no room for anything more. As I glance up at the stars I find myself softly humming. Your star did not fall into darkness. It may have faded from the sky, but its light still shines, if nowhere other than in my heart.

And I would be the one to hold you down, kiss you so hard,
I'll take your breath away and after I'd wipe away the tears,
Just close your eyes, dear...


It is only here at night that I can feel the echoes of your kisses, lips feathering across my own. In the breeze I can feel your fingers sliding through my hair and tracing lightly up my ears. In the stars I can see your eyes, light that had never grown dim in three thousand years. In the whispers of the trees I can hear your voice, pledging me love and life as long as it was yours to give. And as I close my eyes I can feel you kiss away the single tear that makes its way down my cheek.

I love you, Gil-galad. My king, my brother, my lover. And until the day when I may perchance see you again, I shall walk alone through my waking dreams.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=2129