What Dreams May Come by Summer
Summary: Unhappy with the conclusion, Someone To Watch Over Me, I came up with this as a true ending to my story.
Categories: FPS, FPS > Aragorn/Frodo, FPS > Frodo/Aragorn, FPS > Frodo/Sam, FPS > Sam/Frodo Characters: Aragorn, Frodo, Sam
Type: None
Warning: AU, Character Death, MPreg
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 8988 Read: 10141 Published: July 12, 2011 Updated: July 12, 2011
Story Notes:
A more in depth storyline as Frodo enters the Halls of Mandos, hoping to be reunited with those he loved from the story, "Someone to Watch Over Me". Tolkien did not write much about the Halls of Mandos that I know of but, being a Mythology expert, I would think it was a bit like the Greek Mythology, the Halls of Mandos being somewhat like the Underworld, and Hades as Mandos.

Beta read by: Achila

Sequel to Someone To Watch Over Me

1. Chapter 1 by Summer

2. Chapter 2 by Summer

3. Chapter 3 by Summer

4. Chapter 4 by Summer

Chapter 1 by Summer
It was dark, and he was cold. That can't be right. He was dead. He could understand the darkness, but not the cold.

Though he was sure his eyes were open, all he could see around him was darkness. So this was how it was, this was to be his reward for claiming the One Ring. It is what he deserved, but Frodo had hoped the time he had spent in Valinor with Sam would lesson the ordeal.

Frodo called out into the darkness, hoping that somewhere beyond the layers of the night, a familiar voice would call out to him. A voice that would be his light in this eternal darkness. But all he heard was silence.

He fell to his knees then, and curling himself up into the smallest ball he could, he wept softly. He wished for at least a small candle to hold back the weight of this hellish nightmare he was going to have to endure for all eternity.

So lost in his own fear and grief, Frodo was not aware of the coming of footsteps at first until he heard a voice shout at him.

"Stand up there! What are you doing just lagging about? Don't you know we must get to the ferry?! Justice has been cast and you cannot hide here!"

A large hand roughly pulled him to his feet, and Frodo looked up to see a dark mysterious man staring down at him. Glancing past the man, Frodo could see nearly a half dozen people standing behind him. Two were Orcs and at least four were Human and they all looked unsavory and dangerous.

Shivering in fright, Frodo looked back up at the man, trying to form words, only to get a rough slap across his face.

"Stop that! Your tears won't help you now! Come! Fall back in line. Now, or I shall give you a taste of my whip!"

Seeing the fearsome weapon and hearing the sadistic chuckle come from the others, Frodo did as he was ordered.

And so they marched. Frodo took up the rear, following with his head down and his tears falling bitterly.

How could this be? How could he weep and be so cold and scared when he was dead? Where was Sam? Where was he being taken? Of what justice did the mysterious man speak? What were they going to do to him?

Shaking uncontrollably, Frodo continued to follow the men and the Orcs as they soon entered a dark tunnel guarded by two stone statues that appeared to be dragons.

A greenish light seemed to emanate from all around the walls and led them in a downwards path. The sound of water was heard and when Frodo rounded the corner of the cave, he stopped in his tracks to see that a small river was before them. Its waters were black as the tunnels themselves and appeared to be devoid of life. At the river bank was a small ferry and there, waiting, was a bent old man with a staff and lantern. At first, Frodo thought it might be Gandalf, but seeing no beard and that he was bald, Frodo felt his hopes crumble.

Weeping even harder now, Frodo tried to see where he was going as the mysterious guide led them towards the ferry, only to stumble several times on the small, sharp rocks on the ground. Frodo half listened as the ferryman ordered his passengers to pay him for their passage on his boat. Each man handed the old man a gold coin and the Orcs handed over a silver one. Frodo stepped forward and then stopped, unable to take another step.

"Well, come on! I must be paid for my hard work to-" The old man paused and made a somewhat disgruntled huff as he peered down at the small form. "What is this? What is this you bring here to me, Grim?"

"Oh, Patter, this must have been a stray from Solen's group. I picked him up at the Four Corners."

"No, you dolt! You imbecile, what have you done!"

As the man brought the lantern closer, Frodo fearfully wiped at his eyes and continued to tremble, wondering what fate was in store for him now.

A hand reached out and gently tipped the Hobbit's head up and Frodo was forced to allow the old man to have a good look at him.

"This is not a murderous, treacherous Human. Nor a filthy Orc. This is a halfling, a Hobbit, I should gather, unless my eyes are deceiving me."

"What difference does it make? He has been judged and must be brought to his proper place."

The old man stared up at the mysterious man called Grim and nearly growled in annoyance.

"You Fool! He hasn't even been judged yet -- look he has not been marked!"

The old man pointed at Frodo's forehead; it was then that Frodo glanced at the others on the boat and saw that each of them wore a red mark shaped like a letter J on their forehead.

"Who are you, little one? Come on now, speak."

Frodo looked up at his annoyed face, and more tears fell from his eyes.

Frowning, Grim reached over to force the creature to talk, but Patter pushed him away from the Hobbit and gasped as he spotted something.

He reached down and pulled the hobbit's hands up to the light and shook his head when he saw that one hand had only four fingers.

"Oh dear, this is not going to look good on your record, Grim."

"What are you talking about?"

Pulling Grim aside the old man whispered into his ear and after a few seconds, Grim's expression changed to alarm. "Oh no. But its not my fault. He was in the four corners."

"It does not matter. You should have checked for the mark!"

"Well, what do we do now?"

Hearing this, Frodo finally snapped and falling to the ground, began to weep.

"Oh now, now. We must not have that!" The older man stepped back and quickly putting down the lantern, pulled the Hobbit into his arms and held him in a comforting embrace.

"Shh! Hush now, it is going to be all right. We shall set things right. Come on. Let me get rid of these wretches and then I will take you upstream."

Without further ado, Grim and Patter got onto the boat and setting Frodo near him, the ferryman picked up his oar and began to row down stream.

As the boat carried its passengers downstream, Patter started to speak and it soon became evident that he was speaking mostly for Frodo's benefit.

"I suppose you are wondering where you are and what this is all about. Well, I shall tell you. This is The Judgment Zone, the place for those who have been judged by Mandos in the Great Halls of the Dead. Those like these creatures here, who led their lives in darkness, doing great evil, are then placed in one of five different plains of hell: the fiery abyss, the watery torment, isolation and agony, darkness, and the purification ritual."

"Pur-ific-ation ritual?" asked Frodo, shocked to find he could speak at last.

"That is a plain that after a period of time adjudged by Mandos, will purify the dark spirit and allow it to be rejudged and re-sentenced...a second chance, if you will. A great many go there. Mostly Humans and Dwarves, even a few Elves. But not many Orcs or goblins."

The Orcs who were standing nearby turned and hissed at Frodo, but Grim quickly took control of them by taking out his whip and cracking it at them. Bowing, they scuttled away fearfully.

Frodo was just as frightened at seeing the whip (though it was not directed at him) and the angry face of Grim, and took cover behind the ferryman.

Patter smiled gently and softly patted the hobbit's back.

"There, there now little Hobbit. Nothing to fear. Grim does not hurt the innocent. He can be a bit of a fool and rash at times, even stupid, but not cruel."

Grim only huffed and put the whip away.

Frodo swallowed and shook his head, and stared up at Patter.

"There are also other plains upstream. Very different from the places we are about to enter. I must beg your pardon for what you are about to see. It was not supposed to be what you were to experience. All I can do is reassure you that no harm shall come to thee."

Frodo felt the boat lurch, and as it turned down another tunnel, Frodo heard the distinct sound of screaming coming towards them.

An arm gently pulled the Hobbit close, as images of fire and shadowy forms appeared on the glassy black walls. A hand quickly covered Frodo's eyes.

Frodo whimpered and shook as the sounds increased and then he realized that some of the screams were coming from the boat. Shaking, Frodo felt arms pull him closer as Grim's angry cries ordered the Humans and Orcs off the boat. When it seemed they did not move fast enough, the whip was once more slashed in the air.

Crying loudly, Frodo clung to Patter. "Gandalf! Gandalf! Sam!" he wailed loudly.

"Hush now, it's all right."

But Patter's soft words did not soothe the frightened Hobbit and Frodo wept and screamed all the louder for Gandalf. Where was he?! Why wasn't he here?!

"Gandalf, Gandalf, save me!"

Then everything went dark once more.
Chapter 2 by Summer
Frodo awoke to find himself lying on the ferry boat and he could feel the movement of the river once more, now flowing upstream. A slight breeze was blowing and there seemed to be a bright light above him. Daring to look up, Frodo could see Patter standing behind him with his head bowed at the light above the boat and he appeared to be filled with sorrow.

It took a moment before Frodo realized that Patter was speaking to the light as well.

"I deeply regret what happened. I know, I know I should not have taken him that way, but I feared to leave him behind on the embankment. I am sorry! Please forgive me, it was a terrible mistake."

Frodo could hear no voices but the light above him seemed most comforting. Sitting up, Frodo stared at the light, wondering what it was. It seemed to be pulling the boat even faster away from the darkness and as they went further upstream, the tunnels changed, becoming less intimidating and frightening. It reminded Frodo of Bilbo's stories of Thorin's Lonely Mountain.

Wiping a stray tear from his eye, Frodo turned back to Patter in confusion.

"What's happening? Where am I being taken?"

"To the Halls of Mandos , which is where you were supposed to be taken in the first place. My humblest apologies, dear little one. I thought you were of importance but did not suspect how important. Fear not, she will lead you now to the Halls."

Still confused, Frodo turned back to the light to see a familiar and beautiful Elf woman standing before him. It was Arwen, or at least it appeared to be an image of her. She smiled down at him and offered Frodo her hand.

Feeling less frightened by this figure, Frodo gave her his hand. "Arwen? How did you come to be here?"

"It has been many years since I passed out of my body, Frodo. Here I dwell as a guide to those who come from the mortal life of Middle-Earth. It is work that I have grown quite fond of. I was supposed to meet you at the crossroads but somehow, you wound up in the Four Corners and there you have witnessed something you should never have seen. Patter is very sorry for frightening you."

"The last thing I remember was being with Sam in Valinor. He was tired and sad after learning that our children had died. Elessar, Little Merry and little Pippin and Florin. We heard about you and Aragorn dying and of the others, my cousins...."

"Fear not, Frodo. Only mortal death did they experience. They live still in spirit and are waiting for you."

Frodo smiled and allowed Arwen to pull him into her arms and he sighed blissfully.

"You will be with your Sam very soon. I promise."

Relieved beyond words, Frodo could only hold on tighter to Arwen's hand. "Thank you."

The boat finally came to a halt, nudging against the embankment. Frodo peeked out and saw what looked to him like Moria, only brighter and more majestic. There were great halls and doorways and the ground was soft; the soil reminded Frodo of the sand of the sea.

Arwen led him off the boat and Frodo glanced back at Patter. Seeing his pained face, he smiled gently at him and waved goodbye. Patter too finally smiled and then with a nod, turned away and with his oar, headed down stream.

"My Lady, what exactly is the Halls of Mandos?"

"It is a place where all must go when they leave their mortal life on Middle-Earth. It is a place where all are judged by what they have done or have failed to do in their life. Mandos knows all and sees everything. He is very fair and wise. He reminds me of my Ada."

Frodo grinned and nodded. "Elrond was reunited with Celebrian in Valinor and you have two new sisters. They look alot like you. But he misses you deeply."

Arwen smiled and nodded. "Excellent, for when I am graced with another renewal of life, I will be most ready to be with Ada again."

Frodo knitted his brows, befuddled. Seeing his confusion, she smiled. "Once, I lived before, many days long past as the Lady of Luthien. I passed into death, for I gave up my immortality and dared to love a mortal. I was graced then with another chance for life, but once again, I relinquished my immortality to love a mortal...and love him I did, as you know. But now, I am ready. Ready to live that which was intended. Soon, I shall be born again as Ada's third daughter in Valinor, where I will remain."

Frodo, understanding at last, grinned. "You will be with your father once again."

For a moment Frodo wondered what happened to Aragorn. Even after so many years, Frodo still felt a deep love for the human Ranger he met in Bree, during the time of the War of the Rings.

Arwen continued to lead Frodo down many halls and through several large doors.

Frodo stopped in his tracks when he saw that the doors were all a bit different. One had Dwarf markings. On another door were Elf markings.

"What is this?"

"These are the doorways to worlds and plains of Light. Each race that comes to the Halls of Mandos must be sorted into their proper place after judgment. Here is a place where heroic Dwarves come. And here-" Arwen pointed to the elvish door, "is a place where Elves of great honor in battle come."

She paused and moved to the Dwarf door and tapped lightly upon it. A few seconds later, several heavy footsteps were heard and a loud voice called out, demanding to know who it was.

"It is I, Lady Arwen. Open."

At once the door opened and an older Dwarf with gray and silver hair braids appeared, wearing armor made of pure gold.

"What is it? Another arrival so soon? Eh, what is this? This is no Dwarf. Is this some sort of joke being played, can't you see I am in the middle of spinning my legendary tale to my fellow Dwarves, I have no time to speak to...." He paused and then glancing at Frodo's four-fingered hand, he gasped in surprise, as Arwen smiled. "Well I'll be, it can't be...surely not? Frodo Baggins, is it?!"

At once Frodo was drawn up in a tight embrace and spun in circles. Laughing and not exactly sure why, Frodo stared at the strange Dwarf in happy confusion.

"Yes I am. I just arrived."

"Well, well, come on in. I am Thorin, King Under the Mountain, and I so enjoy the company of a Baggins! Of which I haven't been graced in some time since Bilbo went off to the Plains of Paradise...I must send him a message to please visit."

Pausing, the gruff Dwarf saw that Arwen had stopped Frodo from entering and was shaking her head at the Dwarf. "Dearest King Under the Mountain, Frodo has not yet met Mandos. Therefore, he cannot enter the rooms. Once he has been judged, I will see about a visit and I will convey your message to Bilbo as soon as possible."

Frodo stared in shock and amazement. He couldn't believe he was actually staring at Thorin, the legend himself.

"All right then. But have our burglar bring this one along with him, eh?! I would so enjoy some new stories around the fire!"

Glancing in, Frodo could see many Dwarves were gathering in what appeared to be a large dining room with an abundance of food on many tables. A fire was roaring in the center and next to it, at a set of smaller tables, Dwarves were playing various games. Laughter and story telling could be heard in the crowded room and all seemed to be having a wonderful time. For a moment, Frodo wanted to enter this friendly environment and have a chance to finally meet Thorin, the Dwarf who helped his Uncle fight a dragon. But his thoughts turned to Sam and Bilbo, and Frodo longed to see them and be reassured that the end of everything was not necessarily the end.

"I will! Thank you, oh, Great King Under the Mountain." Frodo bowed before him and the Dwarf laughed.

"Just like Bilbo! Ha! Another Burglar!"

Arwen closed the door and smiled down at Frodo to see his questioning eyes. "Once you are graced by Mandos' judgement, it is permitted to visit the other plains to see old acquaintances and friendships of one's past."

"Bilbo IS here?"

"Of course, Frodo. All you have loved and cared for are here."

"Truly?" Frodo asked, his eyes already filling with tears.

"Truly." Arwen replied and took Frodo into her arms. "Now come."

As they turned to head down the halls, a tall figure came walking by, heading for what appeared to be the Elven door. So caught up in his own thoughts, he failed to look down and therefore, collided with Frodo. Arwen laughed as the Elf Lord became entangled with the small Hobbit.

Surprised and a little bit caught off guard, the Elf Lord narrowed his eyes at the Hobbit and shook his head, speaking to Arwen in rapid Quenya; unbeknownst to the Elf, Frodo understood, having dwelt in Valinor for so many years.

"Another Halfling? They seem to be quite abundant these days in the Halls of Mandos."

"They have earned a place of honor as all the others."

The Elf Lord shrugged and getting to his feet, helped Frodo onto his as well. Noticing the four fingers on the small left hand, he too gasped in surprise, much like the Dwarf, and turned to Arwen. "It is not him?"

Arwen nodded.

"It is the one? He has come at last? Oh!"

Now speaking in the common tongue, the Elf Lord bowed before the hobbit, which made Frodo feel quite nervous. He never, even after so many years, got use to being the center of attention.

"The Ringbearer! I am indeed honored to meet you at last. Welcome to the Halls of Mandos!"

Frodo watched as he bowed and uncertain of proper etiquette, returned the Elf's gesture. "The honor is mine...ahm?"

"You may call me Gil-Galad."

Frodo's mouth dropped in shock. Bowing once more, Gil-Galad bowed lightly to the Lady and then entered the elven door, closing it softly behind him.

Frodo finally turned to Arwen just in time for her to reach down with her hand and close Frodo's mouth for him. "We can not linger any longer. Come, it is time to meet Mandos."

Frodo hesitated and then taking Arwen's hand, he allowed himself to be led towards the end of the corridor where a large silver door awaited them. Swallowing, Frodo tried to ignore the sight of the two, large guards standing at either side of the door with crossed swords to bar the entrance. They looked to be elven, covered in shining, ancient armor and quite intimidating.

Oh, how Frodo wished Gandalf or Lady Galadriel were here with him!

Arwen nodded to each of them and at once, they pulled aside their long swords and opened the door.

A bright white light appeared from within, and Frodo hesitated once again. Then, with an encouraging look from Arwen, he walked into the light.
Chapter 3 by Summer
The blinding light faded to reveal a large golden hall. It was huge and Frodo was surprised as he looked up at the ceiling to see a thousand shining stars twinkling down at him. It was breathtaking. Looking back at the hall, Frodo saw that on the far side of the room, coming up from the ground and leading to the stars, was a bright column of yellowish light. It seemed to be flowing continuously.

Turning away from it, Frodo spotted a large silver throne on the far right side of the room and seated upon it was an Elf-like being dressed in golden robes. He appeared to be rather old, with long flowing hair and a long beard. Spotting a figure at the Elf's side, Frodo gave out a joyful cry at the familiar sight. Running to the now laughing form, Frodo dived into the arms of Gandalf.

"Gandalf! Gandalf, you're here!"

Now weeping bitterly, Frodo buried his hands in the wizard's robes, trying his best to get closer in an attempt to feel safe. Of course he was safe. Gandalf was here.

Gandalf's laughter stopped and with a heavy sigh, he held Frodo tightly in his arms. "Oh Frodo! My dearest Hobbit, I am so sorry for the fright you received in coming here. I knew I should have been there at your passing so I could be your guide into the dark. But alas, I had been away on other matters for Manwe. My poor Hobbit."

Frodo only wept all the more and dug deeper into Gandalf's embrace. "Don't let me go! It was so awful! I was so afraid and alone and I-I couldn't find Sam. They took me downstream...Oh, Gandalf!"

Sighing angrily, Gandalf pulled Frodo's head up to meet his eyes and shook his head. "I will have some words with Grim and Patter for this."

Hearing this Frodo shrugged and wiped at the tears still falling from his face.

"Please, Gandalf, it wasn't really Patter's fault. He didn't want to leave me on the embankment alone and he was kind to me, really. He didn't mean to scare me. In fact, he was very nice. I just-I just didn't like that dark place. It reminded me of...." Frodo closed his eyes and remembered the dark place, the place filled with Orcs and screams and whips.

"Hush now, you are safe."

Frodo smiled and nodded. "I am glad you are here, but Gandalf, I am so confused. I was cold and I-I have tears? I thought when you die, that doesn't happen anymore. And how did you get to be here? And where is Sam, have you seen Sam?"

Gandalf's sadness vanished at the rush of questions and he laughed heartily.

"Ah, Hobbits never change. Always filled with one question after another. First off, you were cold because you still have the after effects of life. As for tears...whether you are living or have passed from life to another existence, you will always have your emotions, for that is a part of your spirit and a very beautiful one at that. As for why I am here? Because I wanted to be, and Manwe asked Eru to grant my wish and he graciously did so, knowing full well how attached I have become to certain...races. Yes, Frodo, no matter where you go, I shall come and visit you. When I have the time, of course."

Frodo blushed and then waited expectantly for another one of his questions to be answered.

"As for Sam, you just missed him. He was here for judgment. He wanted to wait for you but Mandos had other judgments to make. Fear not -- you will see him shortly. Now, put aside your questions for here is someone who has been waiting eagerly and rather impatiently for you. Mandos, may I introduce to you, Frodo Baggins of the Shire."

Placed back on the floor again, Frodo was turned to the man sitting on the throne, who seemed even more gigantic than Gandalf. He looked taller then any Elf Frodo had ever seen. Swallowing, Frodo walked slowly towards him and then bowed before him.

A smile creased the old man's face, and Frodo was lost in his bright eyes that seemed to shine like the stars above.

"At last we meet, Frodo Baggins. I have longed to meet you. Frodo, of the nine fingers, who bore the Ring of Doom."

Frodo swallowed again and nervously, his hands went to his vest. Surprised, he realized that he was still dressed in the clothes he had died in beside Sam, in his smial in Valinor.

Looking back at the Great Lord Mandos, Frodo felt quite small and very insignificant. He had never in his wildest dreams thought he would ever come so far. He had dreamed a thousand times as a child, wishing with all his heart to see the world. And not just Middle-Earth, but everything and beyond it. Sometimes late at night, when there were no clouds in the sky, Frodo would make his way to his hidden spot and sit under the waterfall, staring at the stars. And he wondered, wondered what lay beyond those sparkling lights in the sky.

Snapped back to reality, Frodo saw that Mandos was smiling again at the Hobbit and speaking more to Gandalf then to him.

"Hobbits. They are exceptional. Every time I meet one, I am amazed at their beauty and innocence. I have desired for a long time to bring this one here and to bestow upon him judgment, but Eru commanded me to give him a long life of peace in Valinor with the Elves. Why is this?"

Gandalf didn't hesitate. "Does it surprise you that of all the Hobbits and creatures of Middle-Earth, this one was held in special honor and love by the Elves? They and the Valar did not wish to see him depart from their worlds. From his birth, he has carried within him a light that has never been seen before and will never be seen again."

"Yes, I can see that. But he still suffered great sadness, even in Valinor. This one has always felt different and isolated. I wished him to come here so he may have true peace. Eru's will I obeyed but now that I have this one, I shall never let him go."

Shaking a little in confusion, Frodo looked to Gandalf for help, but Gandalf only winked at Frodo and that alone reassured him that all was well.

"Come here, child of light."

Frodo hesitated and then drew closer. Bending forward, Mandos gently raised his own hand and placed it on Frodo's head.

The Hobbit suddenly felt exceedingly warm and a brightness seemed to flash deep inside. A dark memory was plucked out and vanished from his mind. Entranced, Frodo allowed the memory to be taken from him.

"You are removing the memory he had of first coming here?" asked Gandalf, realizing what Mandos was doing.

"He was never supposed to see such darkness or evil. It will do him no harm to remove this one memory."

"Why not remove the other dark memories?" asked Gandalf, wishing in his heart that the memory of the Ring and Sauron's tainted evil could be whisked away from Frodo's mind as well.

"Because each memory has made Frodo what he is. To remove all those memories you suggest would cause him great fear and confusion. No, those memories will remain. In time, they will fade. Ah!" Mandos paused as he ended the spell, seeing more of Frodo's mind . "What a sweet Hobbit, much like that gardener, so timid and shy. But this one has such an intriguing mind, always wanting to know and experience everything and always thinking...my goodness. What amusing creatures these are. They never cease to amaze me."

"Nor me," replied Gandalf.

Removing his hand from Frodo's forehead, he watched as the Hobbit opened his eyes as if returning from a deep, peaceful sleep. Staring up at Mandos, Frodo felt rather foolish for daydreaming and took a few uncertain steps back.

"Fear not, little star, for it is time for judgment to be placed. Go to the wall of light and enter it."

Frodo paused and turned to the flowing light he had seen when he first came in. His eyes widening in fright, Frodo turned to Gandalf for assistance.

"That is the Light of Justice. It was created by Eru himself and given to Mandos as a gift to help him decide where to place all souls that enter his kingdom. The Light reflects one's spirit and depending on the color it emits, it decides one's fate."

Frodo continued to stare at Gandalf in fear and then back at the light in deep trepidation. Going to Gandalf, Frodo opened his hands and the wizard sadly shook his head.

"I am afraid I cannot lead you this time, Frodo. You must go on this journey alone."

The tears once again welled up in Frodo's eyes and he swallowed and turned back to the light, then glancing at Mandos. This time, all expression was wiped from his face, but when Mandos spoke, it was soft and low.

"The Light has many colors, Eru cast them within to decide one's fate. Black for evil and souls unredeemable. Orange for those who have led an evil life at the start but in the end, changed for the better and therefore, are graced with purification and someday granted a second chance. Blue, which is often bestowed upon heroic Elves, Dwarves and Humans. Yes, each color reflects one's soul. I have seen many colors and I look forward to seeing what color comes from you, Frodo Baggins. Enter the light and face thy judgment."

Frodo sighed and slowly made his way towards it, but as he walked each step, dark memories assaulted him. Frodo reflected on all the bad things he had done in his life. The stolen apples from Mrs. Dumbledee's orchard. The mushrooms pilfered from Farmer Maggot. Of course, years later, he paid them back thricefold for the little misdemeanors he had committed upon them. But surely that did not matter. He stole from others and that would not bode well in judgment.

Frodo remembered how he had allowed his cousins and Sam to journey with him to Mordor. Would that count as a strike against him, for allowing innocent creatures to accompany him on such a dangerous and evil quest?

What about his hateful words to Sam while he carried Sauron's Ring? What about when he claimed the Ring at the end, and failed to do that which he had been bid, to cast the Ring of power back into the fires from whence it came?

What about Gollum? Frodo had promised to save the pitiful creature, but he fell into the fires of Mount Doom with his precious.

Last, but not least, did Eru condone or condemn those who loved their own gender? Would Eru be disgusted at the knowledge that Frodo had chosen to love his gardener and lived out his life with Samwise Gamgee? What of Frodo's secret love for Aragorn? Bad enough to choose to love another male, but what of a Human male on top of that?

As Frodo finally reached the light, he felt the tears burn down his cheeks and feeling hope fade from within, he swallowed one last time and entered the beam.

With his eyes closed, Frodo waited for the end of all things.

Memories surfaced in Frodo's mind and he watched as his life was played out before him. Gandalf's fireworks, the books Bilbo had given him, his parents, Sam, The Shire, Bag End, Elves...

Mandos rose from his throne, his eyes widened in absolute shock and delight. The light flashed around Frodo and then the entire room was engulfed with the colors of the rainbow, each color vibrant and growing brighter with each passing moment. Pink, yellow, blue, green, white, purple and colors that had yet to be seen by others. Then, diamonds, like grains of sand, sparkled all above Frodo and around him and through him. When Frodo finally took a step out of the light, his appearance had changed.

Frodo now was dressed in clothing similar to his usual, but instead of brown and reds, they were silver and white. A long cloak of shimmering bright colors folded around him. His face appeared youthful, as he had appeared before the One Ring had come to him. His four-fingered hand was now restored and whole. His skin glowed with an aura of light and above his head was a crown of diamonds, glittering and twinkling in bright flowing energy.

Frodo the Ringbearer he was no more. Before them stood Frodo, as he was always meant to be.

Gandalf sighed in pleasure, while Mandos shook his head in pure amazement. With his eyes still closed, Frodo wept softly, still waiting for the dark judgment and knowing there was no place he could hide. Not even Gandalf could save him now.

"Frodo, open your eyes."

Frodo did as he was ordered and stared sadly up at Mandos and Gandalf, expecting the worst.

"Look, Frodo, look at thy judgment, look!" Mandos stepped forward and turning Frodo to the light once more, Frodo saw that it had changed into a glass-like mirror. What Frodo saw reflected back caused him to stare in utter astonishment.

Was that a crown upon his forehead? Did he look younger? Did he really have all his fingers, onetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnine...yes ten! Ten wonderful little fingers. Frodo swung around and cried out in happiness and flew to Gandalf, who was already laughing in his own joy. Frodo joined him and exalted as Gandalf tossed Frodo into the air and caught him easily before setting the Hobbit back down.

Frodo then turned to confront Mandos.

He stared down at Frodo in quiet contemplation and getting down onto his knees (still being quite tall), he bestowed a kiss upon Frodo's forehead.

"I am so very honored to meet you, Frodo Baggins. Truly you are a light that will never be seen again in Middle-Earth. But joy shall come to all here who will pay witness to your beauty and purity. I could in my power bestow upon you several choices. I could grant you another life...a return to Middle-Earth...perhaps as a grandchild from Samwise the Brave's line? Or perhaps I could grant you a place in the Halls of the Elves...with whom you have so happily dwelt for so long? No, instead I will grant you a place, a special place where you will reside for all eternity. Surrounded by all those who have loved you and who you have loved. Yes, for true happiness can only be found with the presence of loved ones...and love you shall have for the rest of your days...and beyond."

Getting to his feet and moving back, he bowed to Frodo and returned to his throne. Gandalf then came forward and took Frodo's hand into his own.

"Come Frodo, it is time to go to the Halls of Paradise."

Frodo smiled and gratefully, he followed Gandalf out of the Halls of Mandos and back down the great halls of Light. Without faltering in step, Frodo passed each door with a feeling of great happiness and excitement as this new adventure was about to take him, he hoped, to his loved ones. To Bilbo. . .And would Sam be there too? Hastening his pace, Frodo was equal to Gandalf's footsteps and found himself suddenly in front of a large golden gate. What lay beyond was a green valley of unsurpassed beauty. It was then that Frodo realized he had truly come home... at last.
Chapter 4 by Summer
A thought suddenly struck Frodo as he prepared to enter the gates. Pausing, Frodo turned to Gandalf questioningly.

"How are Gimli and Legolas? How is Alasse dealing with our deaths?"

Frodo felt sad that of all his children, she was the last left living in Valinor, and it grieved him to think that she was all alone. He also thought of the remaining living fellowship members. When Gimli and Legolas finally arrived in Valinor, it seemed the inseparable pair would never put Frodo or Sam down on the ground again. For many months afterwards, Legolas and Gimli practically lived in Frodo and Sam's smial and entertained Alasse with stories of Middle-Earth and her heroic fathers. Now, Frodo wondered how they all were.

Gandalf smiled sadly and shook his head. "They took it hard, of course, I tried to reassure them as best I could but alas, they are quite grief stricken. As are Elrond and Celebrian and Galadriel." He paused and sighed, not wishing to hold anything back.

"They are currently making a glass casket for your physical remains and when it is completed, both you and Sam will be placed near the Eastern shore...a great many mourn your passing."

"I am sorry," Frodo replied, looking down sadly and then finally, he looked back up, meeting Gandalf's eyes solemnly. "But Sam was tired...and I didn't wish to stay in Valinor without him."

"I understand. Fear not, Alasse has been taken under Galadriel's wing and will reside in her home for the last of her days. Soon, I promise, you will be reunited."

"Gimli and Legolas?"

"They still have time to spend in Valinor, adventures to retell and a few new adventures to experience. But Gimli's time is coming. He is no longer as young as he once was, and when he passes, he will take his place in the Great Halls of his forefathers."

"But not Legolas...he will live forever won't he? Poor Legolas, he will be so very lonely -- he and Gimli ahm...well you do know that they are a pair, right?"

Gandalf chuckled and then nodded sadly. "Yes I am quite aware, as strange as it is to see such an unlikely pair, or perhaps not so unlikely. I am afraid that my sight has shown me that Legolas will give sway to despair and like others of his race, he will fade. For Elves cannot only die in battle but from a broken heart."

"They will let him come here, won't they?"

"Naturally, he has proven himself virtuous and brave beyond measure. You should not be surprised when someday, a tall, blond Elf suddenly towers over you once more and offers you his bow in fealty and love."

Sad that it would only be death that could bring all of them together again, Frodo also felt happy that someday soon they would all be reunited. Relieved with this bit of news, he started to open the gate when he saw that Gandalf had turned and was walking away.

"Gandalf?"

He paused in step and glanced back at the Hobbit, smiling brightly. "I must depart for now. Do you think that all my time is reserved only for one Hobbit? Besides, before I return to Galadriel with news of you, I wish to visit old friends as well. I have missed Thorin deeply and wish to speak again of old tales and stories. Fear not, Frodo, all that you seek is beyond these gates, and I shall see you again soon."

With that, he turned away and disappeared down the long corridor. Alone, Frodo sighed and holding his breath, he swung open the gate and entered the lush lands.




Frodo hadn't taken more then two steps when he heard his name being called. Turning towards a large stone wall, Frodo laughed when he spotted two familiar Hobbits sitting on the ledge, smoking pipeweed.

"Well, you have come at last."

"Hello, Frodo," called Merry. "You certainly took your time getting here."

Laughing, Merry leaned back and that was when Frodo spotted a tall Human wearing royal clothes sitting near them. "This is King Theoden, he met us when we first arrived."

Theoden smiled at Frodo. "I meet you at last, Ringbearer. Welcome!"

Frodo smiled and watched as Pippin leaped off the wall and like a speeding arrow from Legolas's bow, dived into his arms. "Oh Frodo, I yearned to see you, dearest cousin!"

Holding him close, Frodo once again felt the tears come to his eyes and didn't dare try to hold them back. "Pippin, oh Pippin! I missed you too!"

"There are others here that missed you as well...come on, they're waiting just around the corner."

Happily, Frodo allowed himself to be lead, with Merry and Theoden waving him goodbye before returning to their pipes and story telling.

Reaching the end of the wall, Frodo turned the corner only to find himself surrounded and at the same time hugged by a gathering of Hobbits. In complete shock and joy, Frodo recognized each youthful face as his offspring.

"Florin! Little Merry and Pippin, Bo! (Frodo's son named after Bilbo), Hammy! I can't believe it! Prim, Bella, Bungo! Oh, your all here and you look so happy and young, just as I last saw you!" Frodo wept and hugged each and every one of them, followed by cries of "Father, Papa, Ada!"

Then as Frodo released Bungo, a tall form reached in and grasped Frodo into a bear hug. Gasping for breath, Frodo cried out in pleasure to see who had him in his arms. "Elessar! Oh, Elessar, it is you! My baby!"

Crying like his father, Elessar, who looked more like his Human father, only shorter and with slightly darker and curlier hair, grinned. "Yes, Papa, it is me. I have so longed to be with you! I am so glad you finally came!"

Frodo nodded, unable to help himself. "So am I! Oh, my baby, my Elessar!"

Touching Elessar and all his children over and over again to reassure himself that they were really there, Frodo did not see another arrival slowly making his way towards them, walking with a cane that was largely unnecessary.

"What's this, my nephew waylaid by a bunch of ruffians? Off with you now, and allow an old relative some room."

Turning around, Frodo gasped, unable to speak at first at the youthful sight of Bilbo Baggins standing in front of him.

"Well, don't I get a hug too?" gestured Bilbo, holding out his arms to his favorite lad. Frodo didn't need any other encouragement and flew into his uncle's embrace.

"BILBO!'

Tears streaming down both their faces, they embraced each other over and over again and for a long time afterward, just stared deeply into each other's eyes.

"Oh, Bilbo, when you left Valinor, it hurt even more than when you left the Shire. I grieved for you for so long and thought I would never see you again!"

"I know, my lad, but I was tired of my old body and I so desired to see other things. And I have, especially old friends. In fact, I am on my way there right now. Gandalf should be waiting there too." He winked at Frodo and smiled widely. "The finest ale comes from Thorin's personal brew and I mean to get my fill. Now, you relax and enjoy yourself and I will be back in a bit. Next time, I will expect you to come with me! But right now, there are many more just waiting to see you, so I shall take my leave."

Unable to wipe the smile off his face, Frodo just watched his uncle pass the gates where a certain Dwarf appeared to be waiting for him.

"Hullo Balin, come to meet me, have you?"

"Thorin ordered me to, he said if you didn't have a sound and sure guide, you would get lost."

"Lost indeed! That silly Dwarf still thinks he is the King Under the Mountain. If it weren't for me and my maps, he still would be looking for the secret keyhole! Come on! Stop gaping at me, lead on!"

Frodo chuckled, watching them disappear but before he could turn back to his children, he found himself once again swept up into strong arms and suspended between not one but two large Humans.

"What do we have here? An Orc spy, brother?"

"Nay, my brother, just another short Human, me thinks."

"Human! Human, how dare you!" Frodo sputtered, then stopped when the two men laughed and hugged him tightly. Catching his breath, Frodo recognized these ruffians and giggled. "Boromir, Faramir! You're here too?"

"Where else would we be? Only for a brief visit, though. Boromir was missing your cousins and so I came to keep him in line. You know how much work that is."

Grimacing, but with a sparkle in his eye, Boromir shook his shoulders. "I can still whip you, little brother. We'll see who keeps who in line."

Then, becoming serious, Boromir faced Frodo solemnly. Setting the Hobbit down, he bowed before Frodo and kept his head lowered.

"Frodo, I wish to take this opportunity to beg your forgiveness...in the woods of Amon Hen...what I did was beyond forgiveness, but I seek it from you nonetheless."

Frodo didn't allow him to go on. Reaching down, Frodo pulled Boromir's face back up to his and placed a gentle kiss on his brow. "I forgave you long ago, Boromir. All is forgiven and forgotten. I am so happy to see that you and Faramir are together again. He was so heart broken when he learned of your death."

Rising to his feet, Boromir placed his arm protectively on his brother's shoulder.

"I am glad Mandos allowed you both to be together again. Is-is your father here? I mean, in the Halls of Light?"

Boromir frowned while Faramir sadly looked away. "No, not yet. Perhaps someday. He is still being purified and must stand final judgment with Mandos when it is completed."

Frodo sadly touched Faramir's hand, seeing the Prince shaking slightly.

"In a few days time, I will return to the Halls of Mandos and will speak to him personally on both your behalfs. Although I never met him, I know deep in my heart that he once was a true nobleman and loved his sons...both of them, dearly. It was Sauron's evil that caused his downfall and madness. Do not give up hope. I will beseech Gandalf to help as well."

Faramir finally faced Frodo tearfully but filled with hope. "Thank you, Frodo. As always, you have shown your quality... the very highest."

Frodo smiled and then shrugged. "Now I must go, I will see you both later, for now I am on a great quest. I am still searching for Sam...." Moving away from them and from his children, Frodo looked all around, wondering where his Sam could be.

Two figures in the distance appeared in a large field and for a moment Frodo thought his eyes were deceiving him. But they were not. A moment later, Frodo started to run.

"Sam! Sam! Aragorn!" Frodo couldn't believe his eyes -- a young Samwise Gamgee, dressed in his Shire gardening clothes, stood waving at him and by his side, dressed in kingly finery, was Aragorn as he had last seen him in Minas Tirith.

"Frodo!" What seemed like forever and a day later, Frodo finally reached the two he loved most in all the world and was swept up into their loving embrace.

"Frodo, Frodo you have come at last!"

Frodo kissed Sam and Aragorn repeatedly, as they each tried to kiss him equally in return. Pressed against them, Frodo refused to remove his tight grip on them and laughed and wept in overwhelming bliss.

"Yes, I will never leave you both again, never ever!"




Aragorn led Frodo into a large cottage by the river and while Sam allowed Aragorn to show Frodo their new home, he made his pardon at the doorway.

"Sam, where are you going!" Frodo tried to grab Sam's arm, only for the gardener to wiggle free.

"Now, now, Mr. Frodo, I'm not going far. Its that I just got here and I want to spend a little time with my Gaffer and of course, my ma. I'll be back later tonight and we'll talk some more. Besides, I want you to have some time alone with Aragorn. Its been almost two hundred years since you last saw each other. Besides there are the children I wish to see too."

Seeing Frodo's still sad face, he grinned and kissed him softly on the lips. "Stop fretting so, you still think too much. We have forever now. All the time in the world to be together. Now Aragorn, you know I don't have to say it, right?" Sam shot Aragorn a hard look.

Aragorn crossed his hand over his heart and bowed. "By my life or death, I will look after our treasure while you are away."

Laughing again, Sam kissed Frodo once more and made his way towards the door. Glancing out, he nodded. "Yes, this will do nicely, Aragorn. A garden in the front will make it look perfect...I'll get started on that first thing tomorrow." With a final wave, Sam headed out on his own quest to be reunited with his family.

Alone, Frodo turned to see that Aragorn had vanished.

"Aragorn? Aragorn!"

"Up here, little love."

Hearing his voice, Frodo hurried towards the stairs and climbing up them, he glanced down a long hallway, puzzled.

"Aragorn?"

"Here, Frodo."

Reaching the first door, Frodo opened it and found quite a lovely package awaiting him. Inside was a huge bed covered in quilts and blankets and big, fluffy, feather pillows. And upon the bed, lying resplendently naked, was Aragorn.

Frodo raised an eyebrow.

"Well, are you just going to stand there all day...or shall I have to drag you in?"

Smiling with a bit of a mischievous grin on his face, Frodo stepped in and closed the door behind himself.




(A long time later)

Frodo rolled back against the pillows, taking several long deep breaths before speaking. "Oh! I forgot how wonderful making love to you was. In fact, I think this was the best by far...I actually saw fireworks."

"Really?"

"I never had several, ahm, climaxes in a row before...oh...."

"Thank you. I do aim to please."

Frodo smiled back at the Ranger made King and reached out his hand to him. Aragorn took his hand and brought it to his lips and kissed it softly. Then releasing it, Aragorn pulled Frodo into his embrace, allowing the Hobbit to be above him. Frodo looked down and thought for sure his heart was going to burst from all this happiness. Then his eyes narrowed and for a moment Frodo allowed a dark thought to stray in his mind.

How long would it last?

Aragorn touched one of Frodo's curls and pushed it back gently. "Forever Frodo. This is to last forever. For you, for all of us. Think of it as a reward, think of it as a gift...think of it as you will, but know that it is for real. Never again will you be parted from those you love, forever will you be embraced."

Frodo closed his eyes and when they reopened, fresh tears ran silently down his face.

"Oh Frodo...Be at peace, dear heart." Kissing and stroking Frodo in his arms, Aragorn curled Frodo's head under his chin and hugged him even closer to his body. "I promise you, from this day forward, you will know only joy and laughter."

Frodo smiled and nodding, he surrendered to the embrace.




A short time later, as Frodo nuzzled against Aragorn's collar bone, a door opening from downstairs caught their attention.

"Mr. Frodo, hey, Mr. Frodo, I have a surprise for you...actually two...I found them visiting my old Gaffer....Come on down!"

Unsure what Sam was talking about, Frodo got to his feet and putting on a nearby robe that was probably Aragorn's, Frodo hurried out the door and back to the staircase.

"Sam, who is it?"

Reaching the first step, Frodo's eyes widened once more at the three forms below, two he had not seen since he was twelve years old.

Surely if his heart still beat it would have stopped at that very moment, and giving out a loud, joyful shriek, Frodo flew down the stairs and into their arms.

"Mama! Papa!"

Epilogue

Valinor

Near the eastern shore line

The two small forms were laid together in a loving embrace, above the ground and under a shady willow tree, in a casket of glass and gold. To no one's surprise, the tiny bodies never deteriorated or decomposed and always did they look beautiful in death as they had in life. Some would remark that they seemed to be asleep and would someday awaken from a much needed rest. In the years and centuries to come, many made the pilgrimage to bestow flowers and gifts to honor the Hobbits. Upon the stone, in Elvish, were words that many an Elfling child would ponder.

It read simply: "Frodo Lives. Sam, and all those who Frodo loved, are with him."
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=2143