Under the Moonlight by Rockette
Summary: Sam follows Frodo after he drinks too much ale. Can he save him from self inflicted danger?
Categories: FPS > Sam/Frodo, FPS, FPS > Frodo/Sam Characters: Frodo, Sam
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2696 Read: 1101 Published: July 25, 2011 Updated: July 25, 2011
Story Notes:
Much love goes to Walter, by far the best editor I know; and Ashley, Thanks for the title!

1. Chapter 1 by Rockette

Chapter 1 by Rockette
Frodo sighed, looking into his half-pint of ale; the noises of the joyful bar didn't register in his depressed and occupied mind. Merry and Pippin were happily singing and dancing on tables, but this was quite common among the more obnoxious hobbits. The smell of strong alcohol and pipe smoke hung briskly in the air. Sam sat across from Frodo, his eyes fixed on a familiar lass who was dancing as she passed out drinks. Frodo glanced up and, noticing Sam's preoccupied eyes, sighed again before signaling for another drink. Staring at Sam, Frodo recalled every single crease that crawled upon his face when he scarcely revealed that heartbreaking smile.

"Is something bothering you, Mr. Frodo? ‘Tis the fourth drink you've had this evening. Come on, spill to yer old buddy Sam." Frodo was drawn from his haze to find himself staring into Sam's worried eyes. Rosie frisked over to Sam, and playfully massaged his shoulders.

"Why, hello, Rosie!" Frodo exclaimed with false enthusiasm as he sipped on the freshly poured ale, his eyes locking with hers. "I didn't recognize for a second. Maybe I've had one to many drinks, eh?"

Frodo stood, or tried to, and nearly fell to the floor. Sam jumped to Frodo's side, trying to persuade him to sit down.

"Mr. Frodo, sir, you might wanna wait a bit before venturing home. You don't look good enough to walk, you might pass out or somethin'."

"Here, Sam," Frodo said, slightly slurred from all the alcohol. He handed Sam a small pouch with some money inside. "Pay for our drinks. You can buy more if you'd like." His eyes ruefully drifted to Rosie, and he tried to be polite. "And buy something for the lass; I'm going to take a walk, I need a touch of fresh air. You just have a good time, and don't worry about me." He then stumbled away and out of the door before Sam could get in another word.

Sam looked to Rosie for a second before his gaze slouched to the floor.

"I think I'd better follow him!" He nearly yelled to Rosie, without realizing it. "Don't want him passing out near the woods and getting eaten by some wild Ogres or somethin'." Rosie nodded in understanding as Sam gave her the money for the drinks and a large tip, which came from his own money. After smiling and gazing into Rosie's eyes for a few last seconds, Sam bustled through the door in a stealthy pursuit of the drunken hobbit. Merry watched as Sam followed Frodo out of the door before return to the song he and Pippin were singing.

Frodo trampled along the road, not sure exactly where he was going. His legs wobbled slightly and his eyes strained to see in the darkness; the half moon provided only enough light to see a few centimeters in front of you. Frodo finally made his way into a clearing, but only after stumbling over numerous rocks and roots.

A large lake swelled before him, bright blue with the dim moonlight glimmering off of its surface. The path by which he came seemed to disappear behind him, and the forest and the lake instantly surrounded him. To his left was a large area of cleared ground, where a few large rocks were scattered across the land. There he strolled over to look into the shallow end of the lake.

Sam saw him stop in the clearing and, against his better instincts he decided to stay in the shadows. Being as careful as he could, he crept closer, until he was standing behind the trees closest to Frodo.

Frodo stared at his wobbly reflection in the water, and suddenly got very dizzy. Half sitting, half falling, he was finally settled firmly upon the ground.

Sam gasped when he saw Frodo fall, and almost rushed from his hiding spot to see if he was hurt. Knowing he shouldn't, though, he wearily snuck back to his snuggly spot behind the large Oak tree. "Knowing Mr. Frodo, he'd get all nasty if he found out I was following him all quiet-like."

Frodo stared more into the water, oblivious to the silent watcher who crept nearby. His thoughts wandered as his reflection blurred; the wind skipping softly across the lake's surface, blowing leaves and creating a tranquility that was easily hypnotizing.

His thoughts wandered first to Sam, and his beautiful eyes belonging only to Rosie. Frodo's head lowered in despair. He'd remember all of those times when Sam would work in his garden, sweat dripping down his forehead and trickling down his neck. He remembered the way Sam's work shirt would stick to his back, revealing the firm lines of strong muscles under a comfy layer of fat. His strong calloused hands would work away, gently tucking the flowers and plants into the soil. Those same hands were wrapped nervously around Rosie as they danced at Bilbo's party.

No matter where his thoughts ran, they always strayed back to Sam; wherever Sam was, Rosie wasn't too far away.

Trying to take his mind off of the dreadfully depressing thoughts, his mind switched to Gandalf who had left just after Bilbo's disappearance. He'd left abruptly after explaining that Frodo inherited Bag End and all that it contained. Sighing, he wondered where his mentor had gone.

Sam watched Frodo carefully; he was concerned that he would pass out and drown in the water. Though he could not see his face clearly, Sam could tell he was depressed, because his head was bowed low as he didn't look into the water any longer.

Frodo's thoughts wavered on to Bilbo, whom he truly missed with all his being. He remembered all the times Bilbo read his poetry about his adventures with the Dwarves, and how he would tell Bilbo of his secret desires to embark on his own adventure. He also remembered Bilbo telling him stories about his now-dead parents.

Frodo looked out onto the moonlit surface of the lake, his eyes clouded slightly with tears. He was but a tween when Bilbo adopted him; his parents had drowned in a boating accident.

Sam watched quietly, his eyes studied the details of Frodo's pose. Frodo sat up against a large stone, his head lolling down, perhaps staring at something on the ground. His legs were stretched out before him in a lazy sit. Sam sighed contently, his eyes gracing Frodo's slim figure resting before the lake.

After the thought of his parents, Frodo jumped to his feet He swayed back and forth, and steadied himself the best that he could. Staring into the water he wondered if his mother and father felt any pain when they died. "Did it hurt when you drowned?" he whispered, loud enough for his unseen follower to hear. "Did it, Mum? Da?" Frodo looked eagerly out to the lake, as if waiting for a reply; Sam could tell that the alcohol was really taking its toll.

Hearing what the older hobbit said, Sam saddened a bit, because he could tell from the strong emotion in Frodo's voice that his ramblings weren't all from the alcohol. He wanted so much to just run over to Frodo and hug him forever; yet, at the same time, he feared the anger Frodo's eyes would reflect on him if he revealed himself. Staying as quiet as possible, Sam's ears strained to understand the slurred speech drifting from Frodo's lips.

Soft, calming whispers from the water reached Frodo's ear. Slowly, as if in a trance, he stepped forward, the toes of his left foot entering the chilling water. "I love him so much!" his words trailed after the slurred speech. Sam's ears perked up quickly, his heart racing.

"Yet, his eyes are for another!" Ripples glided across the water's surface as Frodo's hairy right foot slowly moved forward.

"I just can't live with that!" The water now rose halfway to his knees as he waded in a bit more. Sam slowly crept out of his hiding place, fearing the worse. Frodo heard the soothing sounds beckoning from the lake again; oblivious to his surroundings his feet moved forward, one by one, into the water.

Sam walked quickly to the spot where Frodo first began to swim, watching the slim hobbit as he walked towards the center of the lake, where the gleam of moon fell the brightest on the water's surface. Any sounds he made were either unheard or ignored, for Frodo kept his eyes fixed upon the center of the lake. The water was up to Frodo's hips, yet the hobbit was not even half way to the center of the lake; he absentmindedly laughed at his shortness. Staring at Frodo's dark curls, Sam stepped toward the lake, but recoiled when the cool water came in contact with his large, hairy foot. Slightly panicking, Sam looked for a way to go after Frodo.

"Sam!" Sam looked up, startled, thinking he had been spotted. Frodo's dark curls were still facing him, so Sam wondered how he was seen.

Looking up, tears pouring from his eyes, Frodo uttered, "Sam, I'm sorry. Please forgive me." His eyes returned to the center of the lake. "I hope you and Rosie grow old and happy together." The tears continued to stream down his face, hidden from his stalker. With one last sigh, he closed his eyes and jumped.

Horror was written across Sam's face. Any thoughts of fear were quickly forgotten as Sam ran into the water. The older hobbit's body could be seen suspended in the darker abyss.

Frodo opened his eyes and the deep darkness below beckoned to him. He was holding his breath, yet, one by one, small bubbles that contained what little oxygen he had slowly squirmed their way out of his tight lips. He realized he would have to let go sooner or later. "G'bye cruel world," Frodo exclaimed with his last air reserves.

Frodo felt a strong pull on the back of his shirt. Sam was pulling him frantically to shore, hoping that Frodo was still there.

Sam placed Frodo on his side when he finally reached the shore. He pushed Frodo over onto his back, and slapped him hard to try and get some of the water out of his lungs. Seeing that this wasn't working, Sam turned Frodo back over. He placed his hands on Frodo's belly, and then firmly pushed three times. Tears started to form in the corners of his eyes as he listened to check for breathing.

"No, Mr. Frodo, not now. If you leave me now, I'd never forgive you. You hear that, Mr. Frodo? I'd never forgive you!" Sam stared at his lips; they were slightly parted, and he moved closer preparing to breathe for him. Suddenly the body turned to the side; Frodo coughed violently, forcing the water from his lungs. Sam froze, startled.

Rolling onto his back, Frodo opened his eyes and was startled to see Sam's face two inches away. "Sam?" Sam could still smell the ale that was now mixed with the mildew smell of the lake water. "Am I in heaven?" Laughing as more tears poured down his face, Sam scooped Frodo into his arms and hugged him tightly.

"Oh Mr. Frodo! You're okay! Thank Elbereth! I thought I'd lost you!" Pulling the hobbit away to study him for any injuries, Sam's eyes traced Frodo from head to foot.

The dark curls of Frodo's hair clung to his head as rivulets of water dripped from the curls down onto his face. Much of the water traveled slowly down across his cheeks while some gathered into large drops on his eyelashes.

Blue eyes stared back at Sam and his eyes held their gaze. Happiness, guilt, and fear were staring at Sam though Frodo's eyes. He thought he saw tears trickle from the corner of Frodo's eyes, but any tears quickly blended in which the dripping lake water.

Frodo opened his mouth, ready to speak, yet the words that described his thoughts held to his tongue. After a moment, Frodo closed his mouth, before shivering at the realization that he was cold.

Waiting, as Frodo seemed to have something to say, Sam was reminded of the hobbits drunkenness as the smell of ale drifted to his nose. Frodo's sudden shiver reminded him of the wet clothes that clung to both their bodies.

"Lets get you back home, Mr. Frodo. Wouldn't want you to catch cold now," said Sam as he moved to pick the slimmer hobbit up.

"No!"

Sam, startled by the response, froze.

"Let's stay for a moment." Sam look down to Frodo to find his eyes closed. Not wishing for Frodo to catch a cold, Sam pulled him into his lap.

Frodo was surprised as he felt himself being pulled into Sam's lap. After opening his eyes for a second, he decided he might as well enjoy what he thought would be his last time with Sam.

Sam glanced lovingly at Frodo before his mind punished him for ever thinking of the hobbit as he was. Having a chance to think of what Frodo attempted just seconds before, tears came to Sam's eyes. The hobbits' eyes connected, and Sam could see the lowness and sadness that was buried deep inside Frodo. "Why?" asked Sam, thoughts of the words previously spoken were now forgotten. Frodo's eyes looked back in understanding before they were quickly dragged away. He swallowed a lump in his throat before answering.

"Because I love you," replied a choked voice. "I love you and I knew you loved another." Tears slid from Frodo's now closed eyes.

Sam stared at his eyelids for a moment, until finally finding his voice.

"Mr. Frodo, I've always had feelings for you, deep inside, and!" Frodo waited for the terrible news that he knew was coming soon. "I always thought that something was wrong with me!you know!feeling that way about a guy." Frodo opened his eyes slowly, unveiling doubt.

"Are you saying what I thought you just said, Sam?" Hope slowly crept into his eyes. Sam nodded slowly, his lower lip trembling with his nervousness. Frodo's eyes filled with joy as without thought, he quickly wrapped his arms around Sam, startling Sam before he finally hugged him back.

Once they released the hug, Frodo clutched his belly as a feeling of nausea overcame him. Sam looked on nervously. "What's wrong, Mr. Frodo?" Frodo, instead of answering the question, crawled from Sam's lap to a clump of bushes where he, as gracefully as possible, dumped the contents of his stomach onto the dirt.

Sam crawled over to Frodo and soothingly rubbed his back. After the ordeal, Sam helped Frodo to the lake to wash his face before helping him to his feet and returning to the Green Dragon.

A few steps from the entrance to the bar, Sam looked over to the slimmer hobbit, which he held up with an arm around his waist. Frodo's arm was wrapped loosely around Sam's neck. Once they'd stopped, Frodo looked up to Sam to see what caused the halt. He found the concerned hobbit staring back at him.

"What's the matter, Sam?" said Frodo, forcing himself not to think of the worst. After a brief pause, Sam cleared his throat.

"You ready, Mr. Frodo?" The question came out with so much emotion; Frodo couldn't possibly miss the underlying question. Reassuringly, Frodo replied, "Now that I'm with you, I can meet any of life's challenges." Those words brought a smile to Sam's face.

The hobbits stared at each other for a few more moments, slowly moving closer together. Once their faces were only an inch apart, an unnoticed watcher cleared their throat. Sam and Frodo flinched away from each other.

"What happened to you two? You're both wet!" questioned Merry, purposely ignoring the position in which he found them.

"I'll tell you later," whispered Frodo, after receiving a concerned look from Sam. As they walked into the Green Dragon, and every moment thereafter, those words replayed themselves in Sam's head. '!with you, I can meet any of life's challenges.'

Yet Frodo didn't know how hard those challenges would be!
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=2319