Night Watch by Nezad JK
Summary: A relationship's beginning seen through another's eyes.
Categories: FPS > Legolas/Gimli, FPS, FPS > Gimli/Legolas Characters: Gimli, Legolas
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 369 Read: 1676 Published: August 22, 2011 Updated: August 22, 2011
Story Notes:
Short, pre-slash

Dedicated to Little My and Theresa Green -- love your work!

1. Chapter 1 by Nezad JK

Chapter 1 by Nezad JK
Boromir had drawn the lot for first watch this night but he was not the only one who was awake. Around the fading fire, various forms showed the members of the Company as they rested. But the fire was also reflecting the bright eyes of Legolas as he spoke in soft tones to Gimli, who had scarcely left his side since Lothlórien.

The months of travel had left Boromir with little comprehension of the Elf, though he respected him for his skills as a warrior. If anything, Boromir had felt more attuned to the gruffness of the Dwarf, whose directness of speech was something he could appreciate. But Legolas, whose attitude fluctuated dizzyingly from an off-putting coolness to sudden blitheness, he found more difficult to understand.

Yet now as he kept watch, Boromir found his gaze repeatedly returnung to the two. Gimli had given Legolas his axe and the Elf was running an agile finger over the keen edge. The Dwarf's deep voice rumbled as he pointed at a detail of his we apon, and the blonde head bent to study it.

They disappeared behind the brush as Boromir began circling the camp. When he spotted them again, Legolas had gotten the bow given him by the Lady, and laying it across their laps, he pulled an arrow from the quiver that lay at his feet. Gimli took it in his strong hand, lightly tapping the sharp tip. The Elf raised the bow and helped him align the arrow.

They glanced up at him briefly as he passed by. The quiet voice of the Elf: "... very young when my father had me begin training." A fond chuckle. "I remember the brightness of the day and how the shade of the trees was..." The words faded as Boromir moved away. When he'd reached the far side, he gave the dark sky another searching look and turned toward the two companions again.

He could not see Legolas clearly from this angle, but Gimli's dark eager eyes, alternating between the bow and Legolas' face, revealed much. Once again, the Dwarf spoke bluntly, though wordlessly, and Boromir idly wondered if Legolas' far-seeing eyes could see what was so clear before him.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=2564