I Believe by Erica
Summary: An alternate ending for "Thank You For Loving Me"
Categories: FPS, FPS > Aragorn/Legolas, FPS > Legolas/Aragorn Characters: Aragorn, Legolas
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 560 Read: 941 Published: July 04, 2012 Updated: July 04, 2012
Story Notes:
I really wasn't happy with how the ending for Thank You For Loving Me turned out, so I decided to come back and write an alternate ending; one that's a lot closer to how it was originally going to turn out before my muse took the reigns and ran.

1. Chapter 1 by Erica

Chapter 1 by Erica
Every now and then
Soft as breath upon my skin
I feel you come back again
And it's like you haven't been
Gone a moment from my side
Like the tears were never cried
Like the hands of time are holding you and me...


Aragorn sighed a reflective sigh. He always became distant at this time of year. Especially on this date, for today was the third anniversary of the night his beloved Legolas had taken his own life.

As Aragorn thought back on the past three years, he wondered how he had ever made it this far without Legolas by his side. He reasoned with himself that it was because he could still feel his lover's presence everywhere he went. It was as if Legolas was watching over him, keeping him safe. He knew it sounded crazy, and perhaps that is why he had never told anyone about it, but he felt Legolas with him, every minute of every day.

...And with all my heart I'm sure
We're closer than we ever were
I don't have to hear or see
I've got all the proof I need
There are more than angels watching over me
And I believe...


That ever-warming presence had gotten him through some very rough times. Times when he thought he could no longer live on without Legolas. But then it felt as though Legolas was there, just when Aragorn needed him the most. Even death could not change the Elf's character, how in life, he was always right there when you needed him. Perhaps that was something Aragorn had taken for granted. Now, when he needed someone to hold, someone to comfort him after a bad day, there was no one, at least not physically.

He did, in a way, feel closer to Legolas. After his death Aragorn had never taken another lover. He didn't feel that it was fair to the other individual. His heart had belonged to only Legolas, and although Legolas was no longer with him physically there with him, his heart had not changed. He still loved Legolas, now more than ever. They say that 'absence makes the heart grow fonder,' and those were words that the Man would never dream of refuting.

... Forever you're a part of me
Forever in the heart of me
I will hold you even longer if I can
Oh, the people who don't see the most
See that I believe in ghosts
And if that makes me crazy then I am
'Cause I believe...


'You will always be with me, melethron,' Aragorn whispered into the night as silent tears slid down his cheeks. 'I will always love you... Stay with me Legolas. Continue watching over me. One day we will be together again.'

A soft breeze blew through the garden then. Aragorn closed his eyes and raised his face to the gentle wind and let it gently caress his tears away. He knew that it was Legolas. He knew because he believed...

Aragorn rose from where he was kneeling in front of the memorial that he alone had constructed to Legolas in these gardens, the very gardens where Legolas had taken his life. He bowed his head in reverence to his lost love and tucked a three year old piece of parchment back into his pocket, then turned and walked back into the palace...
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=2829