The Ties That Bind Us by Wilde Phyre
Summary: Aragorn is dying after the terrible battle at Helm's Deep. What price must Legolas pay in order to save him... and will Aragorn be grateful for his sacrifice?
Categories: FPS > Legolas/Aragorn, FPS, FPS > Aragorn/Legolas Characters: Aragorn, Legolas
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 6570 Read: 12604 Published: August 05, 2012 Updated: August 05, 2012
Story Notes:
Warning: This is going to contain quite a fair bit of Arwen bashing.

1. Chapter 1 by Wilde Phyre

2. Chapter 2 by Wilde Phyre

3. Chapter 3. (Bittersweet) by Wilde Phyre

4. Chapter 4 by Wilde Phyre

5. Chapter 5 by Wilde Phyre

6. Chapter 6 by Wilde Phyre

Chapter 1 by Wilde Phyre
Legolas wearily surveyed the carnage before him. The battle of Helm's Deep had finally ended, but at what cost? His gaze scanned the plains, passing over the dead and dying, many of them his kinsmen, immortals who were not suppose to die. Then, like a pendulum, his glance swung backwards over the path it had travelled, backwards over the blood and gore, backwards to the inert figure of Aragorn.

Aragorn lay unmoving, his armour shining crimson with fresh blood. Legolas ran to him, to his Estel. Multiple wounds covered Aragorn's unmoving body, his breathing shallow, and his pulse erratic. "Estel" Legolas whispered softly, cradling the ranger's head in his arms.

Slowly, Aragorn opened his eyes, his once sparkling brown eyes now glazed over at the approaching of death. "Is it over?" he hoarsely asked, his pain evident in his voice.

"The day is won" Legolas replied, "but you my friend, do not look too well" he said, trying to keep the desperation out of his of voice. Legolas' hands moved quickly, tearing strips of fabric from his already tattered tunic in an attempt to bind his friend's ragged wounds. Aragorn weakly clasped his wrist, stopping him. "It's too late my friend," he whispered. "Please Legolas, return this to fair Lady Arwen with all my love, and tell her that I'm sorry". Aragorn painfully took the evenstar from around his neck and placed in Legolas' blood stained hands.

Muttering a curse, Legolas gave the elven jewellery back to his friend. "Tell her yourself Estel, for I promise you will live to see your fair lady again". So saying, the elf gently picked up the dying man and hurriedly made his way back towards the fortress, shutting out the groans and pleas for help from the dying, mindful only of the laboured breathing coming from the precious bundle he held in his arms.

You must not die Estel Legolas thought desperately, if not for me, then for Arwen, for your people. I promised that you would live to return to her. I do not care anymore if you never find out how much you mean to me. I'll let you return to her side, I won't complicate things by telling you, I'll won't be selfish anymore, I'll let the two of you live in peace, I'll do anything Aragorn, anything you want me to, as long as you don't die. Please Aragorn, please don't take my Estel away

Legolas rushed up the flights of stairs leading towards the great hall, carrying the unconscious ranger in his arms, his own weariness and pain forgotten. Upon reaching the now heavily guarded door of the great hall, Legolas kicked it open with a flourish and called for help.

Gimili's smiling face fell as he caught sight of the bleeding ranger. "Call for Gandalf and fetch all the supplies you can get your hands on Gimili", he tossed the words over his shoulder at the bewildered dwarf as he made his way towards the King's chamber.

Legolas laid Aragorn upon the bed and as gently as possible, began to strip the armour and bloodied tunic from him, exposing the horrendous wounds. Legolas gasped as he finally realised the full extent of the ma's wounds. Three deep gashes ran along Aragorn's chest, and a fourth across his belly. Dark blood was still oozing from these cuts and Legolas suspected that the blades had been edged with poison. He took the man's hand, which had become alarmingly cold and clasped it tightly, willing Aragorn to live.

Gandalf burst into the chamber, followed by Gimili and …owyn, carrying great jugs of hot water and bundles of healing herbs and strips of bandages. Gandalf knelt softly beside the elf. "How is he?" he asked, taking in the sight of the prone figure on the bed. "His wounds are yet to be cleaned and bandaged. His body is icy to the touch and I suspect some foul poison is now coursing through his veins, but he is breathing" Legolas answered wearily.

Gandalf picked out the necessary herbs from Gimilis' bundle and began to crush them, making a fine paste before smearing it onto Aragorn's bleeding body. Turning to …owyn, he said, "See to it that the Master Elf's wound is also dressed". Only then did Legolas notice the dull throbbing at his side where the path of an arrow had ploughed a deep groove into his flesh. Whilst …owyn was busily cleaning Legolas' wound, Gimili cleared his throat and asked the question which had been plaguing all their minds. "But what of Aragorn? Will he recover from these grievous wounds?"

With a sigh, Gandalf slowly shook his head. "I do not know what poison has taken hold of him, but it is evident that it's claws have dug deep. The paste containing Athelas does not seem to have any affect at all. His condition seems to be deteriorating before our very eyes. Only Lord Elrond has the power to heal him, but even if Aragorn is able to ride, we will not make it to Rivendell in time. Sending for Lord Elrond will only take more time, time we do not seem to have. Aragorn may not make it through the night."

"But surely Lord Aragorn cannot........." …owyn interjected, tears starting to stream down her face.

"There must be something we can do for him!!!" Gimili bellowed at Gandalf.

"There is nothing to be done" Gandalf replied gravely, speaking directly at Legolas, who was pale and withdrawn from the shock and anguish he was experiencing. "The best that we can hope is for Aragorn to slip peacefully away whilst he sleeps" Gandalf continued.

"He can be saved" Legolas said with conviction in his voice.

"Now, Master Elf" Gimili spoke up, terrified by the wildness he saw in the eyes of the normally placid elf, "You heard what Gandalf has just said, you must let him go". Ignoring the dwarf's words, Legolas looked directly into the old wizards' tired face. "There is a way" he spoke again.

Understanding slowly dawned in Gandalf's eyes. "I cannot allow it, Legolas. The thing you speak of is dangerous under normal circumstances. An immortals' soul cannot be bound to that of a mortal. Even if it can be done, Legolas, you will die when he leaves you to marry Lady Arwen"

"I do not care!!" Legolas exploded. "By binding my soul to his, Aragorn can use my healing powers to sustain himself until we reach Rivendell. I promised him that he would see his lady again, and if it involves my death, then so be it. It has been done before, it will be done again" Legolas said with an air of finality.
Chapter 2 by Wilde Phyre
"What are you talking about Legolas?" Gimili demanded, staring at the elf. "It is a way to save Aragorn, and keep him alive, at least until we reach Rivendell, where Lord Elrond can fully heal him" Legolas said, not looking at the dwarf. "So why do we not use this method?" Gimili asked, turning towards Gandalf. "This 'method' you speak of involves binding Legolas' soul to Aragorn. Legolas will share the poison currently coursing through Aragorn's veins. If Legolas' healing powers are not strong enough, then they will succumb to the poison and both will die. Even if Aragorn and Legolas can make it safely to Rivendell and Lord Elrond is able to rid them of the poison, Legolas will never be able to separate himself from Aragorn. Legolas cannot live without his soul. When Aragorn leaves him to marry Lady Arwen, Legolas will die. This so called 'solution' will not have a happy ending" Gandalf replied.

"I will do this with or without your help Gandalf" Legolas said evenly. "Aragorn must not die."

"You must calm down Master Elf!" Gimili interrupted. "We must think this through carefully, we need to discuss - " "We do not have time!" Legolas snapped, his eyes blazing. Turning back towards Gandalf, he once again said "with or without your help"

Gandalf stared back at the elf, holding his glaze in silence, then, after what seemed to be an eternity, he said, "Very well Master Elf, as you wish" with a defeated sigh. "But surely Gandalf, you cannot allow Legolas to attempt such a dangerous thing! It is suicide!!" Gimili roared.

" 'With or without your help' he said. As you can see Master Dwarf, his mind is made up. I would rather lend him all my knowledge and help him through the ritual than to leave him to his own devices" Gandalf replied.

Cursing the stubbornness of elves, Gimili nonetheless saw the glint of determination in Legolas' eyes. With a final curse, he said wearily "You speak the truth Gandalf. Very well then, what may I do to assist?" "Go with …owyn and fetch my bag along with three white candles, a large jar of sea salt and a small silver dish. Bring back some reliable soldiers to guard the entrance to the chamber. It is important that we must not be disturbed during the casting" said Gandalf.




After the door had been barred against all possible intruders, Gandalf set to work, by first carefully instructing each of the others the role they were expected to play during the casting of the spell, and then, using the jar of salt, he cast a magickal circle of protection around the gigantic bed.

While …owyn and Gimili helped Legolas and the unconscious ranger prepare for the ritual, Gandalf anointed the three candles with the oil of mandrake he had in his bag. Mandrake being the most powerful herb of all, Gandalf hoped it would lend it's power to the long forgotten spell. Legolas seated himself cross-legged beside the prone figure of Aragorn, and placed a bejeweled blade in front of him. This was to act as his athalme. The small silver dish was also placed in front of him. The ancient ritual was ready to begin.

Gandalf, …owyn and Gimili each took one of the anointed candles and moved to position themselves around the outside of the circle so that the three of them formed a triangle, then, one by one, they lit up their candles. The smell of mandrake permeated the room as the candles burned.

Legolas picked up the blade and used it to cut a lock of hair from both himself and Aragorn, then, using his nimble elvish fingers, he tied the two locks together so that they formed a figure of eight knot, symbolising an indissoluble union. This was placed into the silver dish. Picking the blade again, Legolas first made a cut along Aragorns' arm, he then carved the rune 'Gyfu' into his right palm. Clasping Aragorn's arm with his injured hand, Legolas allowed their blood to mingle, then drip slowly into dish, covering the their fine locks. Gyfu, in the shape of an 'X', was the rune of generosity, of gifts and love, of sacrifice.

The three standing around the outside of the circle slowly moved in and using their candles, set fire to the talisman, before moving back to their original places. Legolas began to chant the lines of the spell.

"Oh Elbereth! I invoke thee!
With my hair representing my soul,
My blood, my heart;
Bind me to him!
Entwine our souls, unite our hearts,
Bind me to him!
By the power of three;
Bind me to him!"

As Legolas finished, a bright light suddenly shot forth from within his body, and his face contorted in pain. "What is wrong?" Gimili asked in alarm, moving to help the elf, but Gandalf stopped him. "Do not move from where you stand!" he said sharply, "The spell is binding him to Aragorn, ripping his soul away from him"

"It's killing him!!" …owyn exclaimed as Legolas suddenly arched his back and let out an agonised scream, before slumping over. The candles extinguished themselves. Gimili, Gandalf and …owyn rushed into the circle to examine the prone figures lying on the bed.

Aragorn, it seemed, was already starting to get warmth back into his body. Legolas opened his eyes. A blinding pain was jabbing insistently in his head, and for the first time in almost three thousand years, felt a chill creeping through his body, marking the path of the poison. "How is he?" Legolas croaked, turning towards the ranger, noticing that the bleeding had stopped and that colour was slowly returning.

Satisfied that his Estel was well, Legolas closed his eyes, allowing …owyn to bandage his palm. The darkness was returning, but Legolas refused to give in. From a great distance, he heard …owyn say almost apologetically to him

"I'm afraid it's going to scar".

"It will stay there as a constant reminder of his sacrifice, to both himself and Aragorn." replied Gandalf. Legolas forced his parched lips to move and form words. He heard himself whisper "Please, I beg of you, do not tell Estel. He mustn't know". Exhausted, the elf slid silently into the darkness.
Chapter 3. (Bittersweet) by Wilde Phyre
Legolas sat in front of the dressing table, looking into the mirror, seeing his dishevelled appearance. His fine golden locks were a tangled mess and sleep was caked around his eyes. He frowned at his reflection in disgust. Picking up the moist washer beside him, Legolas cleaned his face with great deliberation, rubbing at his the imagined grime until his skin was raw.

Tears welled up in his eyes and he swiped at them viciously, angry at himself, at his weakness. He tore at the braids in his hair, struggling to undo them so he could brush out the annoying knots. A gentle knock at the door startled him. Before he had the chance to question the intruders' identity, the door opened with a soft creak and a dark figure, wrapped in a travelling cloak stepped into the room.

"Aragorn?" Legolas asked incredulously as he whirled around.

"You should be in bed and resting!" The Ranger walked up behind him and placed a gentle, reassuring hand onto the elf's shoulder. "Do not worry for me Legolas, I am well" he said to the image of the elf in the mirror.

Silently, he traced a finger down the side of Legolas' cheek.

"Let me help you with your hair" he said, taking the wooden brush out of the surprised elf's hand.

"A-Aragorn?" Legolas asked uncertainly, but the Ranger said nothing, only pressed his index finer against his lips, telling the elf to be silent. As Aragorn started brushing, Legolas shivered with pleasure at the contact. "Are you cold?" Aragorn asked, his concern evident.

"No, I just......Why are you doing this?" Legolas asked as Aragorn took off his cloak and wrapped it around him, totally confused by the messages that the man was sending out.

"Are you playing with me?"

Aragorn looked deep into the eyes of the elf's reflection and said, "After all that you have done for me Legolas, this is the least that I can do".

"You know?!" Legolas asked in alarm, turning his head to look up at Aragorn, unable to read his expression. Aragorn nodded. "Gimili told me what had transpired last night. Thank you Legolas".

"You are not repulsed by me?" Legolas asked, his eyes filled with uncertainty. "You are not repulsed by the fact ........the fact that I'm so 'attached' to you?......that I am a male?"

"How can I be Legolas?" Aragorn asked incredulously, "You saved my life. I can never repay you for your kindness"

Legolas turned back towards the mirror, unable to hide his pain. "Kindness?!" he spat, "You are doing this to repay me for my kindness?" he asked, his voice cracking.

"Of course not Legolas!.........it's because I love you" Aragorn whispered.

At these words, Legolas' head snapped back and he stared dumbly into the man's eyes. "I love you Legolas. I always have, and I promise that I always will" Aragorn repeated himself.

"Estel" Legolas whispered, tears shimmering in his eyes.

Aragorn wrapped his arms tightly around Legolas, and hugged him tight against his chest. The elf closed his eyes as tears of happiness spilled from his eyes.

But just as Aragorn started to lean forward to give him their first kiss, Legolas' world suddenly tilted crazily and everything began to shake. An earthquake?! he thought in disbelief. A heavy tremor suddenly knocked his out of Aragorn's embrace and onto the floor.

Legolas' eyes snapped open, and he blinked several times, trying to shake away his confusion. His eyes focused onto a figure leaning over him, gently shaking him, trying to awaken him. "Aragorn?" he asked uncertainly, but ever hopeful.

"Aragorn's wounds are stilled being looked at Gandalf" Gimili replied gruffly. "We must make haste to Rivendell"

Legolas closed his eyes against the crippling wave of disappointment. Just a dream he thought. Nothing but a cruel, bittersweet dream

"Are you alright Master Elf?" Gimili asked, concerned for his friend. "Is your wound paining you?"

"I am fine" Legolas replied, he eyes suspiciously red. He let out a forced laugh. "I had a silly dream, that is all. Please leave me so I may make myself presentable for breakfast downstairs. We can leave for Rivendell before lunch if Aragorn is able to travel. You.........did not tell him what happened?"

"No. Gandalf thought that it was best if you told him. Aragorn is healing Legolas, it is you that I am worried about" Gimili said, staring hard at the Elf. "I am fine" Legolas repeated, offering the dwarf a reassuring smile that did not reach his eyes. Gimili noted the sadness and grief, but correctly guessing the reason for it, he left without a word.

Legolas locked the door behind him wearily made his way to the dresser. It seemed so real he thought, sitting himself down in front of the mirror. Legolas stared intently at his image. His golden tresses were matted with dirt and grime left over from the battle and dark smudges ringed the bottom of his eyes, giving him a gaunt expression.

The more he stared at himself, the more Legolas realised that something was not quite right about him, about his eyes. Then, the answer hit him like a sledgehammer. They were empty. Soulless. The sparkle that had once made his brilliant sapphire blue eyes glow with life was gone.

How can I ever compare to Lady Arwen, the Evenstar he thought in despair. Estel will never love. He will never be mine. Why do I torment myself so? Silently, Legolas began to undo the knotted braids, teasing out the silken strands. Very slowly, he picked up the hairbrush and began the tedious task of untangling his hair.

Just like the dream he thought sadly, unconsciously going through the motions, not feeling the pain as bunches of hair was pulled out each time he tugged too hard. Unlike the dream though, Aragorn did not come uninvited to help him. The door remained closed, and Legolas remained alone. A chill suddenly swept through his body, reminding him of the poison that was coursing through his veins. He doesn't know Legolas thought desperately. I am dying for him, and he doesn't even know.

His image in the mirror seemed to mock him, and in a rage, Legolas threw the brush at his reflection, which shattered into a thousand pieces. Legolas sprawled onto the dresser, not caring that slivers of the broken glass was cutting into his arms. He buried his face into the crook of his elbow and wept like the hurt and bewildered child that he was.
Chapter 4 by Wilde Phyre
Legolas slowly made his way down to breakfast, having bathed and changed into a long sleeve shirt to both hide the minute cuts covering his arms and to ward off the chills that were now frequently invading his elven body.

He was worried about the dull pain which he felt in his heart, and feared that the poison was slowly consuming the very organ that was pumping the venom around his body, but he did not show it. His face was a blank, expressionless mask as he slipped into the large dining room.

Aragorn stood up painfully to greet his friend. He had heard from Gandalf that Legolas had been poisoned by an orc arrow last night whilst trying to carry him to safety. Although Gandalf told him that the venom Legolas had been poisoned with was not life threatening as yet, Aragorn was anxious to personally make sure that his friend was alright. "Are you well Legolas?" he asked as the elf approached him. Legolas plastered a smile onto his face and said "I am fine my friend, 'tis you that we were worried about. Are you able to start our journey towards Rivendell today?"

Aragorn nodded. " Thank you Legolas. Thank you for carrying me back to the fortress. It is because of you that I am able to return to Rivendell, return to my lady's side." Hearing these words, Legolas felt a sudden, sharp jabbing pain in his heart and he gasped, hands clutching at his chest. Aragorn was immediately alarmed. "Legolas!" he exclaimed, reaching to support him.

The man's touch seemed to soothe the pain. Legolas stood there, breathing heavily as the pain gradually subsided, until it finally disappeared. Breaking off the contact, Legolas gazed into the ranger's concerned eyes. He noticed that the dull ache had returned as soon as his contact with the human had been broken. "I must speak to Gandalf" Legolas said, before running out of the room, leaving a bewildered Aragorn to stare after him.

His injury is more serious than Gandalf had let on thought the ranger. His skin was cold to the touch and he was shivering. The venom must be potent "Oh Elbereth!" he prayed, closing his eyes as guilt washed over him. "Please do not allow Legolas to die!! I know how much he feels for me, but I cannot help him. Arwen has pledged her immortality to me and I cannot give her up. I refuse to give her up. Please guide him Elbereth, and bring him someone who is more suited for him. Show him someone who can truly love him, and not just as his friend. Legolas deserved so much more than what I can give him."




"Gandalf" Legolas said uncertainly when he found the white wizard in the stables, getting the horses ready for the long journey ahead. "Is something the matter Master Elf?" Gandalf asked, glancing at the pale, withdrawn figure standing in front of him. "I......I don't think that my healing ability is able to sustain the both of us. The poison is attacking my heart. I feel a dull ache in my chest as we speak, and just then, as I was talking to Aragorn, I felt it suddenly seize up, as if and iron hand had clasped and squeezed it as hard as it could."

Gandalf frowned slightly at this, then asked" Did Lady Arwen come up in the conversation before the pain?" Legolas nodded.

"Aragorn was thanking me for returning him to his lady. When the pain started, he held unto my arm to support me."

"Did the pain stop after he held onto your arm?" asked Gandalf. Legolas remained silent for a while, and then quietly said "Yes. Even the dull ache I mentioned to you before faded whilst he was touching me, but it returned as he broke contact." Gandalf nodded gravely.

"It is not the poison that is causing the pain Legolas, it is the binding. The dull ache is caused by your body, longing to be reunited with your soul. It can be eased only by having direct contact with Aragorn. This is what I had meant when I said last night that you would never be able to separate yourself from Aragorn. The pain will build up in intensity until it becomes agony. His touch is the only thing that will make it stop. The sudden, jabbing pain that you had felt was your body rebelling. This will happen when Aragorn thinks or has contact with another in front of you, it is your body getting jealous if you like. It is similar to elven grief in that when Aragorn marries Arwen, the bond that is between your body and soul will be severed and you will die. The only way to free yourself from this binding is if Aragorn willingly returns your love. Before then Legolas, without your soul, you will die if you leave Aragorn's side for too long."

Legolas nodded with a sigh "I understand Gandalf. Thank you for being truthful with" he said, turning away.

"When are you going to tell him?" the wizard asked. Legolas shook his head "He will not know" he said.

"You will die Legolas!!" Gandalf exclaimed "Do you not understand that?......have I not made my self clear?......Aragorn will marry Arwen......and you will die!!!"

"I understand Gandalf, and I know you are worried about me, but I cannot allow Aragorn to feel that he is indebted to me. Binding my soul to him in order to save him was my decision. I wish for him to be free to choose the one he truly loves......without having to feel a sense of duty to me. I don't want my decisions to affect his life." the elf replied.

"Do you not think that Aragorn has the right to know? Does he not deserve to be given the chance to make the right decision?" Gandalf asked. "The right decision is for Aragorn to remain with the one he loves, the fair Evenstar. The right decision is for him to marry Arwen, to have heirs for the throne of Gondor. That is the right decision Gandalf, you know that as well as I do" Legolas replied bitterly.

"What about Gimili? I am sure that the Master Dwarf will not willingly watch you die Legolas. He has a mind of his own. He may not agree with your foolish decision" said Gandalf.

"Foolish or not, the decision is still mine to make. I am sure that you can help that stubborn dwarf to see reason Gandalf. You seem to be the only one in the Fellowship whose advice he'll take."

"I could tell Aragorn myself Legolas, with or without your permission you know." Gandalf said wearily, looking into the blue elven eyes.

"But you won't" Legolas smiled sadly, walking away.
Chapter 5 by Wilde Phyre
The company of four had been travelling for nearly eighteen days, and all were weary. The air temperature had dropped dramatically as the Misty Mountains loomed ahead. Legolas sat atop of Arod, with Gimili behind him, swathed in a thick fur cloak made of warg skins, a gift from King Théoden himself.

His wound was not healing properly and the chill was ever present, but despite all this, Legolas was happier than he'd ever been in a very long time. Aragorn was there beside him, noticing his every move, aware of his existence. Although this wasn't quite what Legolas had hoped for, he was content just to be able to see Aragorn's face first thing every morning, and last thing before closing his eyes each night.

Legolas had made peace with a lot of things during the last eighteen days, and he accepted the fate that was about to befall him. Gimili had been furious when he had found out about the stubborn elf's decision, but he knew, just as he had known when the issue of the binding had first came up, that Legolas' mind was set, and nothing could dissuade him.

The sun had sunken low in the sky when they reached the base of the mountains. "We rest here tonight" Gandalf said, dismounting from his horse. The others quickly followed suite and began unloading their supplies, settling in for night. Legolas and Gimili went off together through the trees, in search of game, leaving Gandalf and Aragorn to gather kindling for the fire.

"What is wrong with Legolas, Gandalf?" the ranger asked, looking at the wizard, demanding a truthful answer. "It's been twenty days since he has been injured, and yet his wounds have not healed. The poison should not have affected his healing abilities this much. Even my own wounds have almost healed, although I suffer from the same venom. Tell me the truth Gandalf, what is ailing Legolas?"

The wizard held the man's gaze for a long while, trying to the best way to tell Aragorn, without giving away any of the Elf's secret. "If I told you that Legolas was dying, but that there is a way to save him, what would you do?"

"I would ask you for the cure, and then go to the ends of the earth to obtain it, if it is necessary." Aragorn replied immediately.

"And what if I told you that to obtain the cure, you must leave Lady Arwen, never to marry her, would you still be as eager?"

Gandalf asked intently. Aragorn stayed silent, unsure of how to answer, his heart telling him 'yes', whilst his conscious said 'no'. Gandalf took his hesitation to mean no and angrily said

"Then there is nothing more to discuss".

Before Aragorn could reply to this, Gimili returned nosily, proudly showing off the two jackrabbits, which he had caught. Legolas followed close behind, holding four wild apples, which he had gathered for dessert. Gandalf turned away without a word and set to work, helping the dwarf to skin the rabbits.

Throughout dinner, Aragorn kept a watchful eye on Legolas, looking for signs, indications to confirm Gandalf's words, but he found none. This gave Aragorn very little comfort, and he found himself wondering what his choice would be, if forced to choose between his beloved and his brother. In honest truth, the ranger knew that he no longer regarded Legolas as a simple friend, but he refused to think about what the alternative might be. Arwen was giving up her immortality to be with him, and Aragorn felt that he owed it to her to at least remain faithful. Making up is mind, Aragorn crawled beneath his thick blankets and fell into an uneasy sleep, filled with dreams of the dying elf.




Aragorn woke up in the middle of the night, shivering with cold. The fire had been reduced to glowing embers, giving off very little heat. Adding the last of the dry kindling to the fire, Aragorn was startled to realise that Legolas' bed was empty, and the elf was gone. Knowing that he could not have travelled far in his weakened condition, Aragorn quietly began to search the surrounding woods, trying to his friend. He heard faint coughing coming from his left, so he followed the sound, careful not to make a noise.

Coming to a clearing, Aragorn felt his breathe catch in his throat as he saw the lone figure sitting on a large rock, a serene glow emanating from him. Aragorn stayed in the shadows, curious to see what Legolas was doing up so late. He was surprised when the elf began to sing, the hauntingly beautiful voice ringing clearing through the moonless night.


"Look deep into my eyes,
and tell me what you see.
Can you see the love,
I hold for you inside of me?
I sit here alone,
on this dark, moonless night,
watching you sleep,
dreaming of your fair lady,
and I find myself thinking,
will there ever be room in your heart for me?
The stars twinkling in the heavens mock
At my foolishness, but I do not care.
You are here with me
and I am content.
You are my hope, and in your hands
You hold my immortality.
Are you willing to return it to me?
Or will I die, fading away softly,
Just as stars do at the approach
of dawn."


Tremors suddenly shook the elf's slight frame, and Aragorn was shocked to realise that Legolas was crying. Stepping out of his hiding place, Aragorn slowly walked up him, and wrapped his arms around the trembling elf, letting Legolas sob onto his shoulder, whispering meaningless words of comfort.




After what seemed to be an eternity, Legolas finally let go of the man, and the two of them silently made their way back to camp, not a single word passing between them. Legolas settled himself under his blankets still trembling, but this time with cold. Just as he were about to fall asleep, he heard Aragorn's voice whisper to him softly, "Come and share my blankets Legolas, you will be warmer." Shocked, the elf sat up and stared at the ranger, unsure of what to make of it.

Sighing, Aragorn picked up his pillow and blankets, moving them next to the startled Legolas. Lying down, Aragorn crawled in under Legolas' blankets and placed his own on top of the both of them. "It'll be a lot warmer now for the both us." he said, closing his eyes. Legolas lay down next to him, savouring the warmth radiating from the body beside him. He snuggled up closer to his friend, thanking Elbereth for granting his wish. Legolas knew that come tomorrow, things would return to normal, and that Aragorn would once again be eager to return to his Lady, but for now, Aragorn was his.
Chapter 6 by Wilde Phyre
The beautiful, pristine paradise they called Rivendell lay just ahead of the quartet, within view. Whilst the sight cheered everyone around him, Legolas' heart was filled sorrow, knowing that he had finally come to the end of his journey, knowing that when Aragorn and the others set off again, he would not be with them.

Thus preoccupied with his thoughts, Legolas did not notice the presence of the hidden orcs until it was almost too late. The orcs had concealed themselves well amongst the trees, silently waiting to ambush the unsuspecting travelers. Legolas heard the distinct sound of the drawing of a bow before he saw it. The orc had aimed it at Aragorn, the foul arrow poised, ready to rip into his flesh. Without pausing to think, Legolas launched himself at Aragorn, knocking the confused man down unto the ground. Aragorn heard the sharp "twang" of the release milliseconds before he felt himself flying through the air with Legolas on top of him. He felt a jerk through the elf's fragile body as the arrow found its mark. The cruel tip imbedded itself in Legolas' chest, piercing his lung. Fresh blood bubbled forth from the new wound, staining his green tunic a rusty red.

Aragorn roared in anger as the orcs descended upon them. While Gimili deflected the attacks, Aragorn gently manoeuvred the injured elf off him, and then, picking up his sword; Aragorn stood guard over him, furiously slashing away at anything that dared to go near them. Gimili swung his axe right and left, cutting down orcs with each powerful blow. Though the small company was outnumbered, the orcs were no match against Aragorns' blind fury, nor Gandalfs' determination and Gimilis' powerful axe. Very soon, the last of the cursed beings was violently slayed.

Aragorn quickly dropped onto one knee, bending over to assess the rapidly deteriorating condition of his friend. Legolas' breathing was laboured, and blood was slowly trickling down the corner of his pale lips. "How bad is it?" Gimili asked anxiously, peering down upon the prone figure before him. "The arrow has pieced his lung. His blood is slowly filling the organ, collapsing it. We must get him to Rivendell before he drowns in his own blood." Aragorn replied grimly, breaking off the shaft of the arrow and using a piece of rag, torn from his tunic as a makeshift bandage, to steam the quick flow of blood. He is dying he thought numbly.




"How could you have been so ill-advised as to help him do such a dangerous thing?" Elrond asked quietly, a worried frown upon his face as he gently tightened the thick, white bandage covering Legolas' chest. "The foolish prince gave me no choice" Gandalf replied with a weary sigh, "I could not allow him to attempt the ritual by himself."

The small company had arrived at Rivendell two days before, with Legolas on the verge of death. Lord Elrond had done everything within his ability to save the elf, but Legolas had yet to awaken. Elrond had been furious with Gandalf when he had discovered that it was he who had helped Legolas with the binding, but over the course of the past two days, Elrond had come upon a quiet acceptance of the situation.

"Estel needs to be told, Gandalf. He needs to be given the chance to decide to do what is right."

"What is right? Your daughter Arwen has first claim of Aragorn. She too has willingly sacrificed herself for him. Do you not care that she may be hurt by Aragorns' decision?" Gandalf asked gently.

"Arwen is my flesh and blood, the pain that she feels is my own. Naturally, I wish for her to be happy, but it is not what she or I want that is important. Arwen has already lost her immortality because of Estel. One day, she will die. Legolas however, can be saved. There is no need for both of them to pass over into the halls of Mandos." Elrond replied, sighing heavily. "I agree with you Lord Elrond, but the decision to inform Aragorn of the binding remains with Legolas Greenleaf alone. It is not a decision for you or I to make. Lady Arwen, however, may informed as the result would undoubtedly affect her severely."

"I will tell her myself" Elrond said, nodding in agreement.




"He is like a brother to me, Arwen" Aragorn whispered softly as he lay in the female elf's' gentle embrace. "After all that we have been through together, I cannot believe that I am losing him now. I have never thought about being separated from him because I had always assumed that I would the first to go. I assumed that I would be the one who would leave, not the one left behind. I - "

"Shhhhh............" Arwen whispered, placing her finger gently on his lips to silence him. "Legolas is strong, and he has a lot to live for. An arrow and some simple poison is not enough to kill our Mirkwood prince. My father will do everything within his power to save him."

"But why will he not allow me see him?" Aragorn asked, "I need to be there with him."

"There is nothing more that you can do for him Aragorn. You need to place your trust in my father. He will not allow Legolas to die." Arwen said, stroking Aragorn's hair. Exhausted by the turmoil of the past few days, Aragorn slowly closed his eyes, comforted by Arwen's words and he sank into a dreamless sleep.

For Arwen, however, sleep did not come so easily. She had felt a subtle, shifting change occurring within Aragorn ever since he had come back unexpectedly to Rivendell, and this made her very uneasy. It annoyed her that Aragorn could not stop thinking about the wretched prince, even as he lay within her arms. I know you want him Legolas, but he is mine. I have given him my immortality, and for that, Aragorn will be forever bound to me. I am willing to do whatever it takes to make sure it stays that way. I will not relinquish my hold upon him. You cannot win Legolas.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=3071