Sunlight by June Sparrow
Summary: [One-shot] Pippin is glad the rainy season is finally over, but doesn't quite agree with Merry's idea of what to do now the sun is back. [Mild M/P slash, fluff alert]
Categories: FPS > Pippin/Merry, FPS, FPS > Merry/Pippin Characters: Merry, Pippin
Type: None
Warning: Sap/Fluff
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1051 Read: 601 Published: August 24, 2012 Updated: August 24, 2012
Story Notes:
This is my very first Lord of the Rings fanfic (as well as my shortest fic yet), and as much as I love them, I'm not very used to the characters yet. So if anything seems OOC, please, let me know! That aside, I hope you'll like it and give me useful reviews! *w*

1. Chapter 1 by June Sparrow

Chapter 1 by June Sparrow
Broad rays of sunlight fell down from the sky. The small puddles left behind by the rain glittered brightly with their reflection, the grass looked a fresher green than ever and the flowers in the fields and trees had never looked quite as colourful before. It was hard to imagine how disconsolate everything had looked only a couple of days ago, when the rain had been pouring down out of a miserable, clouded sky and everything had just looked a different shade of boring grey. But the rainy season had passed, and it had left the Shire looking almost magical as it was lit by the sun. All hobbits were in high spirits now they could finally get out of their holes again and tend their gardens, mown their lawns or check upon their crops. Many, however, spent their time simply hanging about and enjoying the beautiful day. And a beautiful day it was indeed, Pippin thought as he lay comfortably in the grass under a tree. He had grown very tired of the rain and was glad to finally be able to go outside again. The days of doing nothing had left him full of unused energy for new adventures and trouble (and that was what the adventures usually turned out to be).

Merry, however, seemed to think quite different of all this. He sat huddled against the tree, nose buried in a book as he nibbled contentedly on the end of his pipe, happy to stay where he was and clearly not looking for anything else to do.

Pippin looked at him in dismal. It was not that he didn't like reading himself – as a matter of fact, he enjoyed it quite a lot. But in his opinion, books were for cold or stormy days, or rainy days like the ones that had just passed. On warm and dry days like these, there were much better things to do; especially when you were to spend them with your dearest friend and cousin. A few years ago, Merry had always felt that way too, but times had changed and Merry had changed with them. This didn't make Pippin happy at all, for he felt that he hadn't changed a bit and wished his friend hadn't, either. He drew a deep breath and then sighed heavily, blowing out thick wisps of smoke.

A slightly annoyed sigh told him he had Merry's attention. "What's wrong, Pip?" Merry asked without looking up from his book.

"Nothing," answered Pippin innocently as he folded his arms behind his head. "Just a little bored, that's all."

Merry cocked an eyebrow, but still didn't look up. "Bored?" he said. "How can you be bored on a day like this?"

"By spending a day like this like this!" Pippin said. He sat up erectly. "We've just spent weeks doing nothing but reading and doing... nothing, and now the weather's just beautiful and we're still doing the exact same thing. Don't you think that's a little boring?"

"Unbelievable!" cried Merry. He turned over the page. "I never thought I'd ever hear Peregrin Took complaining about living a lazy man's life. You shall never cease to amaze me, Pip. But I'll have to say no to your question. I am feeling very comfortable doing just that at the moment. We'll raid a garden some other time." Pippin looked at him unhappily and he sighed.

"It'll be a while before the fruits and vegetables are ripe anyway, Pip," he said, playing with his pipe between his fingers.

"It's not like we can't do other things as well," said Pippin irritably. "Besides raiding gardens and crops, I mean. We can go on walks, or picnics, or visit Frodo in Bag End, things like that." He stuffed some pipe-weed into his pipe. "You've become boring, Merry," he added daringly, glancing at him from the corner of his eye.

Merry scowled and finally put down his book. "What are you calling me, Took?" he asked dangerously, though his blue eyes were laughing.

"Dear Merry," laughed Pippin. "I have never met any hobbit who managed to cause me even half as much trouble as you did, and certainly my reputation would not have been half as bad if it weren't for all the 'adventures' you dragged me into." He lit his pipe.

"That was because you were my tag-along baby cousin who followed me everywhere I ever went," said Merry, poking his finger against the tip of Pippin's nose. "There simply was no getting rid of you! But anyway, a hobbit ought to grow up some time."

Pippin pushed Merry's hand away from his face. "If growing up makes you boring, I think I'll stop about now," he said, chewing on the end of his pipe with a fake thoughtful expression.

"Ow!"

Merry had tugged hard on his cousin's cinnamon curls, forcing his head down into the grass.

"A bit of respect for the elderly," he said laughing. "Although it might be a wise thing to do; it would spare you your Coming of Age party." He winced at the mere memory and let go of Pippin's hair.

Pippin sat up again and crawled a little backwards, so he sat right next to his cousin. "The party seems the only good thing about it," he said. "Though it won't be as fun when you're not running around, hiding from your aunts and their strange, giggling daughters."

Merry hit him hard with his book. "I'll have the pleasure watching you doing the exact same thing in a few years," he said. "We'll see how you like it then. And now be a good lad and shut your mouth; I still have plenty of youthful spirits left to stand you on your head or kick your backside."

"You're cruel, Merry," said Pippin pouting, rubbing his hand over the spot Merry's book had hit him.

Merry grinned. "Am I now?"

"You certainly are!" laughed Pippin. "Yet I suppose it's better than having you reading and ignoring me completely."

"Hmmm," said Merry. "Well, that's good." He leaned forward and kissed Pippin soundly on the lips. "Or is that too boring for you as well?" he asked innocently as he pulled away.

"No indeed!" Pippin said, his green eyes gleaming briskly. Laughing, he leaned in again. "Not boring at all."
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=3445