A Night of Remembrance by Lady Mirfain
Summary: Erestor celebrates the night of Samhain
Categories: FPS > Glorfindel/Erestor, FPS, FPS > Erestor/Glorfindel Characters: Erestor, Glorfindel
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1713 Read: 3019 Published: October 30, 2008 Updated: October 30, 2008
Story Notes:
Beta: chaotic_binky

1. Chapter 1 by Lady Mirfain

Chapter 1 by Lady Mirfain
Erestor shivered with excitement as he prepared for the night’s Samhain ritual. This was the one day each year in all his Millennia that he looked forward to. Tonight, he would be with his husband again, in spirit at least, since the loss of his beautiful mate. Pulling his black robes closer around his willowy form, he checked his reflection in the mirror then grabbed his black cloak, putting it on and drawing up the hood. He had finished his cleansing early to give himself more time to get ready. This year, his excitement had risen to a higher level than ever before for some reason. With one last look in the mirror, the hooded elf blew out the candles, then left the room silently, heading towards the huge bonfire in the clearing.

The ritual fire was burning brightly, making the shadows of the elves, who gathered outside the ring of stones, to move in a ghostly dance; a dance befitting this night to honor their brethren and loved ones who had crossed to Mandos’ halls before them. Not speaking, merely nodding to the elves milling silently, Erestor moved to Elrond’s side to await the call to worship.

Celebrían stood at the entrance to the circle, calling to Illúvatar as the ritual began. The sound of chanting filled the night air as the elves of Imladris moved into the stone circle. Suddenly, silence reigned, until Celebrían’s voice filled the night air with the ancient words of worship and Erestor began to tremble with anticipation.

When the call to Mandos to allow the spirits of the dead to come and join them came, Erestor held his breath. Each year since the Fall of Gondolin, he had felt the arms of his husband wrap around him and hold him, consoling him and giving him peace. But this night was different. The ritual continued on as it did each year previously, but to Erestor’s dismay no arms held him. He felt hot tears sliding down his face. Had Glorfindel forsaken him? Had his time in Mandos’ halls erased the memory of their love and bonding from his spirit? Swaying slightly, Erestor numbly made it through the rest of the evening before excusing himself and escaping to his rooms.

“Glorfindel!” Erestor cried into the darkness of his rooms. “Why have you forsaken me? Have you forgotten our love? Why this night of all nights have you abstained from visiting me?” the dark elf cried into the chill night air as he knelt before his open balcony doors. Sobbing the dark elf collapsed into a heap on the floor, finally succumbing to a fitful sleep filled with disturbing images and dreams.

The next morning, Erestor groaned as he awoke to a horrible pounding on his door. “Lord Erestor! Lord Elrond is demanding your attendance immediately!” a voice called through the closed door. Stiffly, the dark councilor rose from the floor to grumble loudly to the elf on the other side that he would come shortly. Quickly, Erestor completed his ablutions before dressing in a plain black robe of mourning, for his heart was as cold as the chill morning air.

Without knocking, the chief advisor entered Elrond’s study to stand before his lord. “What is it? This is a day of holiday,” he demanded of his friend.

“We have company coming,” Elrond explained, raising an eyebrow at the pale face of his trusted companion. “I just received word that a small entourage just entered our borders and includes Círdan along with a dozen other elves. I need you to make ready for our guests and arrange rooms for them. I know not why they come nor do I know how long they will remain as winter is fast approaching.”

Scowling, Erestor shook his head. “Why could they not at least send a missive that they intended to visit? Most likely we will be stuck feeding and housing the group for the winter, and we know how Círdan likes his mead. Last time we were stuck with him, he almost depleted our stores long before Yule.” Without giving Elrond time to respond, the tall elf stalked from the room, barking orders to the surprised staff who had never seen the elf in such a foul mood.

Elrond sat contemplating the mien of his friend, wondering where the normally placid elf had disappeared to. Normally, after Samhain, Erestor was jovial and outgoing, causing all who were around him to smile and laugh. This year, however, that elf was missing and it worried Elrond. He had long feared for his friend, wondering how Erestor had survived the loss of his soulmate, and with the recent change he feared that the elf would fade. His skin had taken on a translucence overnight and it scared the Lord.

When the horns sounded, announcing the arrival of Círdan’s party, Erestor reluctantly headed for the front of the house, knowing he was expected to stand with Elrond and Celebrían as they greeted their guests. This time, however, his heart was not in it and instead of smiling in welcome he wore a frown of displeasure.

After dismounting, Círdan mounted the steps to stand before Elrond, talking silently to the elf lord, gesturing occasionally to the hooded figure whose feet had just touched the ground. Elrond’s mouth gaped open momentarily before he regained his composure and raised his hands, causing a hush to fall over the courtyard.

“Citizens of Imladris! Today we have been granted a tremendous honor. The Valar have returned one who was lost to us. He has been sent back to guard my house, the house of his lord, who he sacrificed his life for. Please welcome…..”

A shriek and a thud accompanied the lowering of the hood that had covered the golden hair of the newcomer and all attention turned to the crumpled form of the chief advisor as he lay unconscious on the stone of the courtyard. Elrond hurried to his friend’s side, kneeling and checking the elf for signs of life.

“Erestor!” was the cry that boomed out across the courtyard, startling the elves as the newcomer rushed to the Erestor’s still form. Dropping to his knees, the golden elf tenderly pulled Erestor into his arms, placing a soft kiss on his lips.

Erestor’s eyes fluttered open. His body stiffened as a long forgotten scent assailed his nostrils. “Glorfindel, my love, you need a bath. You stink,” he said, before he raised a shaking hand to caress the long missed features dancing before his tear filled eyes. Then he pulled the golden lord down to seal their mouths together in a restoring kiss.

Elrond cleared his throat, causing the pair to part, and then finished his introduction. “May I present Lord Glorfindel, formerly of Gondolin and now of Imladris, who has come to guard the House of Elrond and rejoin his bonded mate, Erestor.”

The cheers that greeted this announcement filled the air, startling the birds and animals in the area. The trees waved and swayed in the breezeless air as they silently rejoiced at the love they felt emanating from the couple still embracing.

Finally, Erestor and Glorfindel parted and rose to their feet, turning to stand hand in hand next to the two elven rulers. Glorfindel made a short speech, thanking all for their welcome before giving their excuses and dragging Erestor into the house. Faltering once inside, he looked at his beloved. “Where are your rooms?” he asked softly, his eyes caressing the face of one he had longed for so very long.

Without a word, Erestor took Glorfindel’s hand and dragged him to the chambers that they would share. Once inside, he turned on Glorfindel, his hands twining in the silken tresses he had almost forgotten the texture of, and pulled ruby lips down to meet with his own. For long minutes there was no sound except for the slight rustling of fabric as buttons and clasps were undone and clothes discarded, until finally Erestor sucked in his breath as his beloved stood bare before him. “You are even more perfect than I remember,” he whispered before dragging his mate towards the bedroom. “I need to have you buried inside me,” he whispered as they stopped before the huge bed. “I have missed you so.”

Glorfindel smiled and lifted his lover into his arms, lowering Erestor onto the bed and following him down. The silence of the room was only broken by moans and gasps as mouths and hands explored each other, until Glorfindel grasped the bottle of oil he knew would stand on the bedside. “I see you haven’t changed that habit,” he whispered huskily, a lusty grin on his face as he popped the cork. Soon, he was stretching and preparing his beloved to reaffirm their love.

By the time Glorfindel entered Erestor, the councilor was mindless with need, his hands clutching at Glorfindel’s back and his nails digging into the golden flesh. He moaned as he was breeched and then signed happily. “I… I thought you had forsaken me,” he whispered softly, as the first thrust came. “I thought when you did not come to me last night, that Mandos’ Halls had finally erased my memory from you. I thought I would be alone forever.”

Glorfindel stopped all movement, his eyes boring into Erestor’s. “I could never forget you. I begged and pleaded to Mandos for this boon. Elbereth and Vaire intervened, saying that your service had been ever faithful, and that since Elrond was lord of the valley and I had taken oath to protect the House of Turgon, then why not reward you and allow me to fulfill my sworn duty. Tomorrow, we will have our own private celebration to thank the Valar, my love.” Seeing the tears in Erestor’s eyes, he dipped his head, kissing them away, before slowly starting to love his mate once more.

If any elf had cared to stop outside the door of their chamber, they would have heard naught but signs and breathy moans as the two loved each other long into the night before falling asleep in each others arms.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=411