Metamorphosis by Aglarien
Summary: Estel seeks out Erestor when he learns who he is.
Categories: FPS Characters: Aragorn, Erestor
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: Metamorphosis
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 586 Read: 1815 Published: November 06, 2008 Updated: November 06, 2008
Story Notes:
Beta: Inwë Sáralondë. All remaining mistakes are mine.

1. Chapter 1 by Aglarien

Chapter 1 by Aglarien
“Master Erestor?”

Erestor looked up from his writing, smiled, and laid his quill down. He had been expecting this visitor. “Estel,” the counselor said softly. “Come and sit with me at the window and we will talk.” Rising, he led the young man to the window seat where they could look out over the valley, and sat beside him. For all the courage and bravery the rest of the world would see, Erestor knew that Estel would seek him out for comfort and reassurance.

“Master Elrond, he……my name is Aragorn.”

Erestor nodded. “Yes.”

Where was the infant he had held in his arms and rocked to sleep when no one else could calm him?

“The Dúnedain Rangers….he said I am their chieftain.”

“Yes,” Erestor said. “You are their chieftain.”

Where was the toddler he had carried on his shoulders as they ran laughing through the trees on a summer’s morn?

“Will they accept me? I am still so young, and they do not know me.”

“They will accept you, Estel. You are the son of Arathorn, and their kin,” Erestor answered. “Elladan and Elrohir will guide you, and you will go with them when they ride with the Dúnedain.”

Where was the little boy who had run to him to proudly show off his first clumsily drawn picture? The portrait of Estel’s rather lumpish looking foster brothers had hung on the wall beside Erestor’s desk for many months.

The young man sat and looked out of the window, seemingly watching the birds flittering in the trees. “He said he was my kin too – that his brother was my ancestor,” he finally whispered.

“Yes,” Erestor said softly. “You are kin to Man and Elf, and he loves you as a son.”

Where was the boy he had painstakingly trained in language and arts, who had proudly shown off his first unpracticed written page? That too had hung on the wall by Erestor’s desk for many months.

“And I love him as a father,” the young man said, “just as I love you.”

“Estel,” Erestor whispered, drawing the young man into an embrace. “You are the child of my heart, and I love you as my own. You have grown so strong. I am so proud of you, and I am proud of the goodness and justice within you.”

Where was the adolescent he had painstakingly trained in the art of diplomacy and negotiation?

“Why did Elrond name me Estel? He said it was to protect me from those who would do me harm, and that I understand, but why Estel?”

“Because you are our hope, Estel,” Erestor answered. “In you, one day, will rest the fate of Middle-earth, and you will not fail.”

“How will I know what to do, Erestor?”

“You will know because of what you have learned here and what you will learn with the Dúnedain. You will know because Elrond and I and the rest of your family will still be here to advise you. And you will know because of who and what you are.” Erestor sat up and held the young man at arm’s length, his hands on Estel’s shoulders. Looking into Estel’s sparkling grey eyes, he smiled.

The infant, the toddler, the boy, the adolescent had all vanished. In their place was a man: tall and strong, proud and wise. Yes, he was their hope, and he would not fail.

“Aragorn,” Erestor said proudly. “Your name is Aragorn.”
End Notes:
Estel: Hope (Sindarin)
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=429