Taking Flight by Aglarien
Summary: Aragorn goes into the wild.
Categories: FPS Characters: Aragorn, Elrond, Erestor
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: Metamorphosis
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 352 Read: 1722 Published: November 06, 2008 Updated: November 06, 2008

1. Chapter 1 by Aglarien

Chapter 1 by Aglarien
Aragorn slowly entered the room where his foster-fathers sat working. “I have come to take my leave of you,” he said quietly.

Elrond and Erestor rose and the young man moved and stood before them.

“My son, you must not use your real name,” Elrond said firmly. “It is not yet time for you to reveal yourself to the enemy.”

“When will that time be, Master Elrond?” Aragorn asked.

“Not for many long years,” Elrond replied, “and many years of trial lay before you. You are not yet ready to face the enemy.”

“What name shall you choose, Estel?” Erestor asked softly. “Choose it now so when we hear of your great deeds we will know it is you.”

“The name Estel I reserve for you…for my family,” Aragorn said thoughtfully. “Will you choose a name for me…Ada Erestor?” He smiled at the elf he knew and loved as one of his fathers.

Erestor nodded once, and placing his hands on the young man’s shoulders, searched his eyes. Grey eyes twinkled down at him, and in their depths Erestor saw a kindling of the light of the Eldar that still lived on in the Man: Aragorn, Lord of the Dúnedain. “Thorongil,” he said firmly. “I name you Thorongil.”

“Star Eagle?” Aragorn asked.

Erestor shook his head. “Say instead, Bright Eagle, for a spark of the Eldar lives on in you, and you will do mighty deeds.”




And Aragorn took leave lovingly of Elrond…….and said farewell…… to the house of Elrond…...and he went into the wild. For nearly thirty years he laboured in the cause against Sauron; and he became a friend of Gandalf the Wise, from whom he gained much wisdom…... For he went in many guises and won renown under many names......

Thus he became at last the most hardy of living Men, skilled in their crafts and lore, and was yet more than they; for he was elven-wise, and there was a light in his eyes that when they were kindled few could endure.

J.R.R. Tolkien. The Return of the King, appendix A
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=432