Companionship by Clearwater Kiss
Summary: Eowyn is lovelorn and in despair, and is comforted by a very special elf.
Categories: FPS, Femslash > Arwen/Éowyn, Femslash > Éowyn/Arwen Characters: Arwen, Éowyn
Type: Femslash
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1267 Read: 2292 Published: February 01, 2009 Updated: February 01, 2009
Story Notes:
This is my first time writing a fanfic, slash or otherwise, so bear with me.

1. Chapter 1 by Clearwater Kiss

Chapter 1 by Clearwater Kiss
It had started out as a prayer, a small cry of a lonely girl into the cold night sky. And then it had grown into lament of despair into the black void. Her pain was so great, and yet she tried as best she could to hide it from her people; her friends; her family. Each day it cut a little deeper into her soul like a cold steel blade, robbing her of the warmth and light that had been given to human women. And it was horribly unrelenting.

"Why must I suffer so great?," Eowyn whispered into the darkness. She received no reply, and laced up her boots in the obscurity of her room. "Must my pain be forever unheard? Shall I always ache with this blackness enshrouding my heart?" Still no reply, and she packed a very light sack.

Eowyn was very alone these dismal days and had no one to whisper her name sweetly; no one to voice 'I love you'; no one to turn to when she was assaulted by Wormtongue's prying eyes. Even refining her skills with a sword couldn't fill the growing void within her, and it felt just as sharp and icy as the tip of her blade.

"Please...," Eowyn whispered to the stars; the moon; to anything that was listening to her plea, "I don't want to live like this anymore...I don't want to be...alone...". She continued to dress in the void.

It had been this way for a very long time. Eowyn had been craving love for what seemed like an eternity, and she never received what she needed so desperately. It wasn't as if she wasn't loved. Her uncle loved her. So did her cousin. As did Eomer. But it wasn't the kind of love her soul needed, and it had seemed to diminish since times of late.

She was desperate for companionship, and try as she might, she could hide it no longer. She practically leaked despair. She was so lonely that you could easily sense it, and it could practically be smelt on her, like the acrid scent of mold on bread.

Eowyn had tried to resist the pain and torment that was being forced upon her, but she was only so strong, and could take only so much. That was why she was leaving. She had to try to outrun the pain and sorrow that had driven the warmth and light from her heart. She would try to find love at some other place. Gondor, perhaps, or some other city of men, as far away from her misery as she could humanly get. Either way, she would be getting away from all that brought her sorrow and find herself love.

"Please...let the light bring with it a new start," Eowyn pleaded with the night sky. She exhaustedly braided her long, golden hair after having changed completely into men's riding clothes. She was preparing for her journey that she would be taking in but a few hours, and she wouldn't allow the risk of being attacked by rogues just because she was a woman.

Eowyn stifled a sob and lay down on her bed. She closed her eyes for a few hours sleep, letting the darkness overtake and consume her until she fell into a listless sleep.




Over plains and forests and streams and valleys she traveled. Days passed like seconds as time imposed itself on her, then stopped. She was left at a place such as she had never seen before.

It was a city surrounded by ancient green trees and cool, sparkling rivers. It was unlike anything she'd ever encountered. The air was warm and held many sweet scents in its gentle breeze. The golden glow of the gentle sun off the structures enchanted her, and her heart experienced a brief moment of levity.

Eowyn believed herself dead. Nowhere in Middle Earth could a place like this exist so full of beauty and still be as pure as virgin snow.

I must have passed into another plane while I slept she thought. A warm breeze swept across her arm and she noticed she was clad in velvet robes unlike any she had ever seen in any city of men. I know my death has come to pass. Once more a gentle breeze caressed her robes and she heard a sweet voice call to her by name...Eowyn....

She turned her body in the direction of the breeze and found she was face to face with a maiden fair more than any she could have even dreamed. Her skin was flawless and her chocolate colored hair matched her shining eyes. She was more radiant than any creature Eowyn has seen, and she could sense a light in her soul that Eowyn had lost. She had a glow about her unnatural to any person Eowyn had encountered, and she was aware that this person was not human. She took her for an angelic being I know I am dead.

"You are not dead," the maiden said, "but dreaming."

Eowyn was taken completely aback, especially by how maternal the voice of this young figure sounded. She was awestruck by everything here, and overcome by a feeling of well-being. So overwhelmed was she that she began to weep. The maiden extended her arms and drew Eowyn into a most comforting embrace, and Eowyn melted into it.

"I'm Arwen," the maid soothingly told Eowyn, "and you are not dead, but in Imladris, with the elves. I heard your cry, and I've come to heal your pain and stop your torment."

Eowyn searched her mind. Yes, elves, I know of them...very beautiful...creatures of myth to my people.

"I assure you I am very real," Arwen said as she stroked Eowyn's back, "and so is your pain, Eowyn...."

Her reassurance and the love with which she said it made Eowyn look her straight in the face. This was what Eowyn had been craving all those lonely days. This was what she had needed from someone all along. She felt at ease with Arwen, more so than anyone else. She clung to Arwen for dear life as she felt herself sinking back into that despair which had tormented her for so long as she realized that she was dreaming, and that dreams must always end.

"This dream does not have to end, Eowyn," Arwen said with that honey-like quality to her voice. Eowyn looked at her with desperate curiosity. "I am not a dream you can easily dismiss. The light inside you is dying, and I will not allow it to flicker out. You have been shown the way here, to Imladris, to me."

Eowyn considered all the forests and plains she had seen, and realized she knew them. She had seen a light, and realized it had been Arwen's light all along. Arwen had shown her the way. And she was not going to give up now.

Arwen planted a gentle kiss on Eowyn's forehead, and released her from her embrace. "Return to me once more. It is time to wake."




Eowyn's eyes popped open and she realized just how real her encounter with Arwen had been. She looked to her window and saw that first light had just broken the darkness of the sky. She smiled, the first time in a long while, and gathered her bag. She knew her healing would start that day, and that it was the beginning to the end of her pain. And as she stole quietly out to the stables and mounted her horse, she knew that she would see Arwen again very soon.
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=753