Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

It had been a month since the incident at Minas Tirith. Eowyn had returned to Edoras and had since been keeping herself busy by helping the refugees re-built their homes. Not physically but she helped by sending men to the villages to do it. Eomer had returned a few days after she had, he had not seemed pleased with her but it quickly dissolved and they were on good terms once more. Eowyn now ruled at her brothers' side, because of this her freedom had been even more so restricted then it had previously been. Although Eomer new it was impossible to keep her from doing something she set her mind to, he did lack for trying.

She had done a good job she thought explaining what she thought was best and to Eomer about her and Arwens' relationship, and leaving out a few personal details she felt he did not need to know, brother or not. Of course after her display at Minas Tirith most did not come as much of a surprise to the new king. He had accepted it surprisingly well, although he did suggest that it be kept quiet from the people oh Rohan; such things were not so easily accepted by the general population. So Eowyn kept to quiet, after all who could she tell? She had no friends minus her brother. Any of the friends she had made during the war had gone off to their homes and did not expect she would she them for many a year, if ever again.

Eowyn sighed into her hands as she sat dressed royally in the thrown next to Eomers. King Eomer stood infront of his discussing some matters of the state with a few men, dressed in armor. Eowyn stretched, rolling her head back trying to get the kink out of it. Her mind wondered from the conversation the men were having, a conversation she knew she be paying attention to. Boredom must be oozing off me by now she thought. She really did find these matters tiring.

"Well that is joyous news! Isn't it Eowyn?" Eomer addressed her. Eowyn snapped back in reality and turned her head to regard her brother, a stunned expression clearly written on her face. What were they talking about? She wondered to herself. Well Eomer seems happy about it...I should just smile and nod, pretend I know exactly what they're talking about...

"Yes wonderful news," she said putting on her best smile.

Eomer turned back to the men infront of him.

"Tell them they are most welcome, and we look forward to their arriving in a week."

Eowyn watched confused as the other men, whom she now realized wore Gondor armor bowed and walked off to the exit. …owyn's' mind spun and she tried to piece it together, Men with Gondor armor...joyous news...looking forward to their arriving in a week...oh no... Eowyn looked at her brother panicky, sighing he sat next to her and turned to meet her gaze.

"You didn't have the slightest idea what we were talking about did you?"

Eowyn felt he cheeks flush a little and she shook her head. Eomer frowned and looked away for a moment. "I suppose you've figured it out?" Silently Eowyn nodded...Arwen and Aragorn are coming to Edoras... Eomer stood and paced a few steps back and forth.

"I hope you can behave yourself Eowyn," he chanced a glance at her only to see her light eyes glaring intensely at him. "I'm serious," he said, "I don't want another incident like what happened in Minas Tirith... she made her choice" he lowered his voice at the end. "King Elassar is simply coming to discuss some matters of our two kingdoms. Arwen will be with him, as his wife should be. They shaln't be here more than a few days." Eowyn sat unsure of what to say for a few moments.

"As you wish Eomer," she said quietly and stood.

"Eowyn I mean it..." She turned to him and smiled.

"I promise, there will be no spectacle of my making."

Seeming to accept this Eomer nodded. As she turned to take her leave her smile faded and she walked off to her chambers.

The week passed so quickly Eowyn barely had time to blink. Before she knew it the grand doors opened and King Elassar walked in his arm locked with that of his queen, Arwen. Eowyn quickly took note of the Lady's appearance. She wore deep blue dress, the same colour as her eyes. Eowyn studied her as they approached; those said eyes that once shone with a life Eowyn could never explain seemed now dull and uncaring. Her hair was tied back in a tight plait and no jewellery decorated her body. Eowyn and Eomer stood side by side as the couple came to a halt infront of them. Silently the four bowed to eachother.

"Tis wonderful to see you both again," Eomer spoke. "Please take comfort in our home, we have a great meal planned for this evening."

Aragorn smiled and said his thanks to Eomer. Eowyn watched Arwen intently until her blue orbs raised to meet her own. They stared at one another for what seemed an eternity before Arwen broke their eye contact and turned to her husband.

"I am feeling weary from out journey my lord," she said and then turned to Eomer. "Is there somewhere I may retire until the evening meal?" she asked.

"Of course your chambers are to the left, down the hall and three rooms to the right... Eowyn could sho..."

"Thank you I think I can find it."

With that she turned and walked down to the left hall. Eowyn felt her heart jolt when Arwen denied her assistance. Had she so ruined their friendship as well? Her heart could not bare that thought.

"If you'd excuses me My Lords, I am in need of some air."

Not waiting for a response Eowyn took off to the entrance doors.

Eowyn breathed in as she felt the cool afternoon air on her skin. She could feel the tears wailing up in her mind and body; she refused to let them show though. This was old pain; she did not need to dwell on it. But she could help but remember the coldness of her voice and the dullness in her eyes.

Something was wrong and Eowyn knew she had to figure out what it was. She turned and faced the doors causing her hair to blow around her face. She opened the doors and entered. Aragorn and Eomer had disappeared from the throne area. Probably off tending to some sort of affairs she cared not about. Turning down the left hall Eowyn made her way to where Arwen and Aragorn's' chambers were. She stopped infront of the door and took a deep breath. Gathering up her courage she raised her hand and knocked. The banging sound echoed down the hall and Eowyn took a brief look around. A few moments later after to response she knocked again, and once again she waited to no avail. Sighing Eowyn turned from the door and continued down the hall. Upon reaching her chambers let her disappointment sink in.

She opened the door and entered the dark chamber...except the chamber wasn't dark. A fire was lit in the hearth and the flames caused a soft glow to light the room. But the one thing that most caught her attention was the figure sitting in one of the chairs by the fire. Eowyn shut the door and walked to the centre of the room. The woman sat in the chair her hair loose, her hands clasped in her lap and her eyes staring off into the flames. Eowyn kneeled infront her chair, hesitantly she reached out and placed her hand on top of Arwens pale ones.

"Arwen?" she questioned trying to look into the other woman's eyes.

Arwen's eyes seemed to focus and she looked into …owyn's pale ones. In a sudden movement Arwen moved forward and wrapped her arms around …owyn's' neck. Eowyn gasped but soon tightened her own arms holding the lady closer. A sob escaped Arwens' lips causing Eowyn close her eyes in defeat. Moving her hands up, Eowyn let her fingers entwine themselves in Arwens long locks. This whole ordeal was so heartbreaking. She let herself breath in the lady's scent, one of her hand moved up and down soothingly across Arwens' back. Arwen shifted moving backwards slowly, her lips grazing across …owyn's' ear and down her cheek. She paused when they were a mere inch apart.

They studied eachother silently, Arwen raised a hand and let it lightly brush against …owyn's' cheek. Swallowing Eowyn lifted her hand and let it do the same. A haze seemed to grow in …owyn's' mind, and she stopped caring about rules and promises, none of it mattered. In an instant Eowyn saw those crystal blue eyes close and felt the velvety touch of lips against her own. …owyn's' mind was enveloped in the soft sensation the rippled throughout her body. Arwens' hands wrapped themselves around …owyn's' neck and she leaned forward into the kiss. The force of her leaning caused them both to tumble backwards onto the ground. Eowyn gasped into the kiss as she felt Arwens' body meld to her own. The was too much...she'd worked so hard the last month to...to...Eowyn struggled against everything she wanted and pushed Arwen off of her. Why was she doing this? She'd made her choice...hadn't she?

"Why are you doing this to me?" she half-sobbed, jumping to her feet. She looked down at Arwen sprawled out on the floor. Her deep blue eyes sparkling with unleashed tears. "Why must you torture me so?"

Eowyn watched as Arwen opened and closed her mouth, as if to say something, but each time coming short of the words. Eowyn looked away and braced herself against the mantle piece. Her mind was whirling at what was happening, it was too much. She heard Arwen stand, but her feet remained where they were for a few moments. Arwen turned to leave but stopped when Eowyn reached out her hand and grasped Arwens' wrist. Her back still to her Eowyn hesitantly gazed over her shoulder, Arwens' eyes were fixed on the spot where Eowyn grasped. Eowyn wasn't sure what she was doing, but when Arwens' gaze met hers she had to fight back tears. Slowly Eowyn let her hand slide down Arwens' wrist and across her hand, until finally she let it drop, hanging loosely at her side. There was a pause where neither moved, but then Arwen turned away and left the room.

Eowyn gripped the mantle piece with all her might fighting back tears. Her knuckles were turning white from the pressure, but she didn't care. The soft light from the fireplace still glowed intensely as Eowyn felt all her self-control break. Falling to her knees Eowyn let out a heart-wrenching cry and fell into shaking sobs.

It was some minutes later when Eowyn was finally able to pull herself together. Pushing herself to her feet Eowyn walked over to her vanity. A mirror sat on top of it, but the surface was scattered with different papers. A bottle of ink lay with a feather pen to her right. Sitting in the chair Eowyn reached for the open letter that lay on top of the pile. It was from Merry. The young hobbit had wrote her almost right after he returned home. Eowyn sighed as she read over the words for the tenth time.

Dear Lady Eowyn,

I hope you are well. I was saddened that I did not get to say goodbye to you before you left. Frodo, Sam, Pippin and I have returned to the Shire. It's as lovely as I remembered, but it still feels strange to be home. You'll never guess what Sam went and did! He asked that Rosie to marry him! They married just last week! Pippin caught the bouquet! So of course he's been flirting with every female with two legs...and some with only one.

I hope that you can come and visit us one day? Or perhaps we can come and see you. I am Master of Buckland now so I can come and visit you and not have to worry about displeasing anyone. They should be worried about displeasing me, hehehe.

About the Lady Arwen and You, I know it's not place to speak of things I know little about but as your friend I feel I have a duty to speak my mind. I do not know exactly what happened between the two of you, but I picked up some of it at the Coronation and the rest I can guess. You were lovers were you not? Forgive me if I'm being presumptuous. I could tell it was more then a one-sided love, she does love you. I know not the reasons she chooses to be with Aragorn. They have a history yes, she must have loved him once but I could she the love shining in her eyes for you. She was very melancholy after you left, though she tried to hide it well. I believe Aragorn thinks it was a one-sided love; at least he seemed keen to forget about it quickly.

I think you should speak with Arwen, I hear it is not a good thing for an elf to be sad for long periods of time. I hope it works out between you two, if nothing else you should make your friendship last if you can. Perhaps one day she will realize how she feels for you and you could ran away together! You could come here! I'm sorry if I'm babbling I just want everything to work out,

I want you to be happy.

Do write back soon. I'd love to hear from you.

Love

Meriadoc Brandybuck

Eowyn sighed as she finished the letter once more, she still did notknow what to write back to the hobbit. He was right about a lot of things, and she knew it. Grabbing a blank piece of parchment she smoothed it out over the vanity surface. Still no words would come. She would have to think of something later that night perhaps.

Deciding to deal with the letter later Eowyn stood and went to change her clothing for dinner. Putting one a deep maroon gown she exited her chambers into the cool hallway. Eowyn walked down the halls of Edoras her mind going over things. A door opened infront of her and before Eowyn could react Arwen stepped out of her room, now dressed in a beautiful deep red dress. Eowyn halted mid-step and stared at the beauty infront of her.

"Arwen," she breathed out before she even realized it.

Arwen backed up a little and gave a courteous bow.

"Lady Eowyn," she said and then turned to walk away.

"Wait!" Eowyn yelped.

Arwen paused and looked back at Eowyn.

"Yes?" she asked.

Eowyn took a step forward and sucked in a breath.

"We should not avoid eachother. We are both adults there is no reason we cannot still be friends?" he last comment ended up more of a question then a statement. Arwen regarded her for a moment before replying.

"You're right. We can still be friends..." she smiled, and Eowyn saw that it was a genuine smile, "I'd like that."

Eowyn smiled back. Silently Eowyn nodded.

"Okay," she said, a feeling of relief spreading over her.

There was a moment of awkward silence before Eowyn broke it, "You are heading to the dining hall?" she asked.

Arwen nodded, "Yes," she spoke.

"May I accompany you?" she asked. They were after all going to the same place.

Arwen smiled again, "You may."

Eowyn smiled back and the two walked in silence side-by-side down the halls. The two women entered the dining hall; Eowyn was surprised to see only Aragorn and Eomer seated at the table. It seemed her brother had decided on a private dinner this night. The two sat talking on one side of the grand table but stopped immediately when they entered the hall. Two sets of eyes were fixed on herself and Arwen, and Eowyn felt there was quite a bit of hatred or jealously being directed at her from Aragorn. She hadn't thought how it might look them entering the hall together. Arwen smiled a little at her before walking around the table towards her husband. Eowyn turned to her right and took her seat beside her brother.

"Eowyn," he breathed out as she sat.

"Eomer," she said back.

Dinner went by fast. They spoke of small affairs, they spoke of restoring their kingdoms to there once glory. They spoke of the quest and things that had happened. Eowyn mostly listened adding a few comments in here and now. As the evening grew began to grow late Eowyn excused herself and left the great hall. Returning to her chambers Eowyn changed into her blue short sleeved dress, with the brown covering. She remembered she wore it when at Helms Deep. Opening her trunk she pulled out her sheathed sword. Wrapping the belt around her waist she attached the sword it. Quickly she pulled her hair half-up so it was out of her face and hurried out of the room. Once she was outside Eowyn came to a halt and breathed in the cool night air. She turned her head towards the mountains where a small wooded area decorated the landscape. There had been rumours of a band of thieves hiding out there. Since the men were too busy sleeping off their drunkenness she figured she might as well just deal with it herself. It was nothing she couldn't handle after all. She took a step down when the sound of the door behind her opening caused her to spin around. Arwen stood behind, a cloak wrapped around her shoulders.

"Where may I ask are you going Lady?" she inquired Eowyn.

"There is a party of thieve hiding out in the forest just yonder, Since the soldiers have failed to do anything about it yet I am heading there to deal with it," Arwen watched her curiously. "By yourself?" she asked.

Eowyn nodded, "it's nothing I can't handle, and it may turn out to be nothing but a rumour." Arwen remained still.

"Do not worry yourself Arwen, I can take care of myself." Arwen smiled back at her.

"This I know." She said.

Eowyn gave her one last look before heading down the stairs and to the stables to get her horse.

The moon shone brightly as Eowyn walked in the wooded area. She had tied her horse just outside the forest thinking it would be easier on foot. The light from the moon came and went as the branches waved in the wind. Looking around carefully Eowyn paused as she reached a small clearing, she had the distinct feeling she was being watched. Scanning the forested area around her Eowyn slowly drew her sword. She was being watched.

"I know I am not alone! Show yourselves!" she demanded.

There was a pause before Eowyn heard a reply.

"Oh but you are alone."

Eowyn felt all the blood in her veins freeze. She knew that horrid voice. One name repeated itself in her mind. Grima Wormtongue