Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

The morning air blew strongly as The Riders of Rohan reached Pelennor Fields. Eowyn breathed deeply as she pulled her horse into a halt, taking in the view infront of her. Thousands of orcs were spread across the fields. Smoke rose from the city and the cries could be heard from within. Silently Eowyn wrapped an arm around the one infront of her, she leaned down and whispered in his ear,

"Courage Merry, courage for our friends."

She could feel the morning sun glowing on her back, heating her armour. She breathed in...where had her courage gone? She had to be strong! This was it! This was what she'd been longing for all this time. But she couldn't help feeling a stab of fear looking out onto fields...even with Rohans' help the numbers seemed impossible to defeat.

Theoden turned and rode back along the front line.

"Arise! Arise riders of Theoden!" he said passing Eowyn, quickly she turned her face from his possible view. Though she knew he would not see her. He turned and rode in the opposite direction.

"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered, a sore day, a red day, and the sun rises!" The riders out front lowered their spears. Eowyn held Merry closer.

"Whatever happens, stay with me, I'll look after you."

Theoden rode across the front line hitting their spears with his sword.

"Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride for ruin. And the worlds ending!" he yelled as he rode along the front. Reaching the end of the line he turned facing their foes.

"Yah!!" he yelled, causing most of the company to do the same. Eowyn sucked in a breath and closed her eyes...this was it...

"Yah!!!" Another yell from the masses ...she was going to die...Summoning up her courage Eowyn gave a single thought to Arwen, and felt the jewel against her neck heat.

"Yah!" she heard the hobbit infront of her yell, raising her sword Eowyn fallowed and let out a forceful yell. The horns were blowing, and Eowyn kicked her horse into movement. They started in a trot but soon were in a full out gallop. Arrows started firing from the masses of orcs. Keeping low Eowyn yelling again and kept charging on. If this was her end, she would make such an end! Horses and men were falling around them as they rode on.

Finally after what seemed like an eternity they broke the lines. Slashing with her sword Eowyn brought down some orcs while still galloping through them, looking about she could see everyone doing the same. At this rate they might actually be able to win this. Yelling Eowyn slashed an orc to her right feeling Merry to the same to her left. She looked up for a moment hearing Eomer yell out, "Drive them to the river!"

Eowyn turned her horse and brought down another orc.

"Make safe the city!" Yelled Theoden.

Eowyn turned her horse to ride with them only to find most had stopped. Sucking in a deep breath Eowyn stared wide-eyed at the sight in front of her. The orcs fled to safety behind massive beasts, hundreds of Easterlings rode the beasts as well as fallowed on foot. The riders were nervous, their horses making sudden jolts in different directions.

"Valor," Merry said commenting on the sight. Theoden seemed to compose himself and yelled out to reform the line. Pulling into formation Eowyn prepared herself.

"Sound the charge! Take them head on!" Theoden ordered. The charge was sounded, "Charge!" he roared and Eowyn kicked her horse into speed.

Eowyn turned to the right narrowly avoiding one of the beasts' large feet. She weaved in and out of the massive creatures barely having time to stroke down any orcs before having to turn once more. To her left she saw one of the animals crash into another, both fell to the ground in a loud thump. Turning to the right of one large foot Eowyn quickly shoved the rein into Merrys' hands.

"Take the reins" she said quickly slashing an orc to her left.

"Pull them left!" she yelled to him as they approached another of the great beasts. "Left!" she yelled again when h hesitated.

She ducked as they passed underneath one of the Mumakil, and wove between its legs. Silently Eowyn pulled out Merrys' sword from its sheath and pulled her own out with her other arm. Passing through underneath one creature, Eowyn gave a great yell and sliced both it's front legs and then as they passed the back ones both of those as well. The Mumakil gave a great yell and fell to its knees.

"Aim for the head!" Eomer yelled from somewhere in the masses. At once archers began shooting at the beast.

"Bring it down, bring it down!" yelled Theoden.

The Mumakil reared onto its back legs shaking off its occupants. Eowyn grabbed a spear from an orc and threw it at the Mumakils' back leg. The beast gave a roar as the spear went right through it's leg, the beast backed up a few steps before falling. Eowyn horse reared and knocked both herself and Merry from it. Eowyn looked up in time to see the Mumakils' head falling straight towards her. Quickly she rolled out of the way and the beasts' head hit the ground hard. Eowyn stood and looked around panic suddenly gripping her once again.

"Merry!" she called out, looking around where she fell.

She didn't have much time to look before a couple of orcs approached; she spun swiftly and gutted the first, and then slashed the second first across the belly and then quickly she brought her blade across the foul creatures neck decapitating it.

"Rally to me, to me!" she heard Theoden call out. Looking to where she heard his voice she was horrified to see him fly through the air and land hard on the ground his slain gorse on top of him. NO! …owyn's ' mind screamed.

As quick as she could she ran and stood between the Nazgul and her fallen king.

"I will kill you if you touch him!" she yelled at the black rider.

He sneered at her, "Do not come between the Nazgul and his pray!" he screeched at her. Eowyn stood her ground, and the beast he rode lunged at her. Jumping to her left she turned and brought her sword down on the beasts' long neck, yelling out she brought it down again severing its head from its body. The hideous thing withered about uselessly for a few moments before falling to the ground dead.

Eowyn scrambled and grabbed a round wooden shield that lay near her feet. The Nazgul stood at his full height, far taller than her, a sword in one hand and a large spiked mace hung at his side. Eowyn swallowed hard looking at the things weapon before returning her gaze to the creatures' faceless head. She would not let this thing hurt her uncle again! With a deafening screech it lunched forward with its mace, swinging it down towards her. Eowyn leaped to her left avoiding the blow. The Nazgul spun the weapon around which Eowyn ducked. He tried bringing it down on her again but once again she moved to her left avoiding it. She ducked again twice the heavy mace narrowly missing her head; she stood again in a defensive position. The Nazgul brought the thing down upon her chest, which caused her to stumble back a little. He spun the mace once again; Eowyn quickly ducked the oncoming weapon. She stood only to have the weapon brought down heavily against her shield.

The shield shattered and Eowyn cried out in pain as she felt the bones in her arm do the same. With a cry Eowyn fell to the ground against the fallen horse behind her.

…owyn's' mind was screaming, this could not be the end! She would not let this thing hurt anyone else! But as she tried to move her fingers she gave another cry.

The Nazgul reached down triumphantly and grasped her around the neck. Eowyn struggled to breath as she felt the things hand close tighter around her throat.

"You fool," it snarled at her. "No man can kill me!" No man Eowyn struggled to breathe, I'm going to die she thought, and there was no way out of this that she could see.

"Die now," the Nazgul said.

Eowyn felt the jewel around her neck warm, and she silently wished with all her heart that she could see her love once more.

Then suddenly the Nazgul gave a yell and fell to its knees, the grip around her neck released. Eowyn fell to the ground and saw that Merry had snuck up behind the Raith and stabbed him in the leg. Eowyn looked up at the creature before her and pushed herself to her feet.

Using her right hand she pulled her helmet free from her head, rejoicing for a moment at the feel of the air against her head.

She then stood infront of the Raith and spoke proudly, "I am no man!" and with a great yell she drive her sword into the void of the Nazguls face. The creature gave a startled screech and the sword was thrown from its face.

Eowyn gave a cry at the surge that went through her and fell to her knees. The Nazgul before her screeched and seemed to fold into itself until it lay still on the field.

Eowyn crawled over to where Theoden had falling. Please don't let him be dead! She thought as she reached his fallen form. His eyes were closed but as she leaned over him they opened and locked with her own. Theoden blinked as though he thought he might be seeing things, slowly his hand rose and brushed her face.

"I know your face," he said quietly, Eowyn smiled at him.

"Eowyn," he smile broadened, he was not lost. "My eyes darken," she said watching her. No! she would not let him die, she couldn't.

"No, I'm going to save you," she said.

He smiled up at her, "You already did," No... "Eowyn, my body's broken," he paused, "You have to let me go," Eowyn felt tears begin to wail up in her eyes; she couldn't save him...he was going to die. "I go to my fathers, in whose mighty company I shall not now feel ashamed."

He looked off towards the heavens, before turning his gaze back to Eowyn.

"Eowyn..." he choked out before going still.

Eowyn sat there in a shock for a few moments watching his still form. Tears began to fall from her eyes and Eowyn sobbed onto his chest.

Something cold passed through Eowyn causing her head to shoot up.

Watching through blurry eyes she saw many green warriors glide across the field killing all enemies in their path. As they passed and moved into the city Eowyn sat, her mind whirling trying to make sense of what she had just seen. She felt herself getting dizzy, though the pain from her arm was long numbed. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, her right hand rising to the jewel around her neck. Slowly her eyes opened a sliver, and through the clearing smoke Eowyn could see a figure standing amongst the ended battle; hair blowing in the wind. Eowyn felt her heart warm for an instant before falling into darkness, softness surrounding her.