Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

Springing from the soft sheets Eowyn looked around the room for the clothing she had lost earlier. Curses! She took them! The only garment within her reach was a simple black gown. Well no dress was going to keep her from riding off to battle after her love. Pulling the gown on Eowyn walked to the corner where she had seen her sword earlier but the blade was no longer there. She would just have to find the armory then, she could find some sort of armor to put over the dress as well.

Just as her luck would have it, on her way to the armory she turned a wrong corner and ran smack into someone.

"Ooof...why don't you watch where you're...Faramir..."

The Stuart Faramir stood infront of a very disheveled looking Eowyn.

"I'm sorry my lady, next time you come dashing around a corner I'll be sure to move aside."

Was it only around her or was he always so jesting with everyone? Whichever it was Eowyn was getting sick of it, and she had no time to deal with him at the moment.

"I'm sorry Lord Faramir, I am in a hurry and..."

Faramir smiled at her, "Yes I can see that, and I don't pretend to not know why. But if it's the armory you are looking for it is in the other direction. Come I'll show you."

Eowyn sighed at her mistake. But instead of arguing with him she decided to just fallow him. They rounded a few more corners and went down a small stairway they came to a large wooden door.

"Here we are," Faramir announced and lead her into the small room.

Eowyn looked around at the display of swords and shields to her left. To her right were a few pieces of armor and chain mail that were left over. Eowyn walked over to the chain mail and picked one up that looked about her size. Quickly she slipped it over her dress, being careful of her arm. Then she suddenly realized that he arm felt a lot better. She could move it with little pain. Good she thought.

"That dress might trip you up a bit," Faramir pointed out.

Eowyn looked down at the length of the dress, he was right, but she couldn't find something else now. Grabbing a near by sword Eowyn held the bottom of the dress with her now not pained hand and sliced it along the hem. Dropping the sword Eowyn pulled the rest of the material of so it was short enough that she wouldn't trip over it. The dress now flowed to just below her calf, it would have to do. The sleeves she could manage, they weren't too long. Eowyn looked up at the gondorian armor, sure it was grand enough, but she missed her Rohirrim garb. Sighing she grabbed the smallest one she could find and placed it over the chain mail. Her head snapped up when she heard a chuckle come from Faramir. How can he be laughing? Eowyn glared at him.

"I am sorry my lady, but you do look ridiculous in that." …owyn's' glare only intensified. Any words he was going to say next were cut short by a blade resting against his throat. Eowyn stood with a sword in her outstretched hand, pointed at the Gondorian Stuart. Swiftly Faramirs' grin vanished. He swallowed and slowly raised his hands in defeat.

"Forgive me" he spoke honestly. "Eowyn, Shieldmaiden of Rohan."

Eowyn lowered her sword and sheathed it in the belt now attached around her waist. Hurriedly she grabbed a helmet from the few along the floor and placed it over her golden locks. Eowyn looked up to see Faramir staring at her. What was it now?

"What?" she asked with a sharp tone.

Faramir seemed to snap out of whatever his thoughts had been,"It just struck me how brave you must be to do this."

…owyn's' gaze softened.

"Tis not bravery that makes me do what I do," Faramir looked at her curiously.

"Then what does my lady?" he asked.

…owyn's' arm reached up to touch the jewel hidden beneath her armor.

"Love" Faramir said nothing but had a sad look in his eyes. Eowyn sighed and walked past him to the stables. After preparing a horse she rode out of the castle and turned towards Mordor.

The smoke rose thick long before Eowyn even reached the battle. The black clouds hung high in the air, leading her to their smoky depths. As Eowyn rode up the last hill before the gates of Mordor she gasped. Pulling her horse into a halt, she looked upon an unbelievable site. The handful of Rohan and Gondor soldiers stood fighting to their doom, huddled together and surrounded by thousands of orcs from every angle. Eowyn removed her helmet and let it drop to the ground. Terror began to fill her as she watched the battle unfold, unable to make out the people she so needed to find. Pulling her sword from its' sheath Eowyn gave a great cry and pulled on the reins causing her horse to rear. With a swift kick with her feet the horse bolted them down the hill and towards the battle.

As Eowyn neared the battle a great shadow cast itself over her and a horrifying screech could be heard from above. Nazgul! Eowyn thought, a moment before she felt something large bash into her, Eowyn flew away from her horse and landed hard on her injured arm right at the edge of battle.

Turning quickly Eowyn spring to her feet, sword still in hand and faced the large beast infront of her; these she knew how to deal with. But as she stood facing the beast another screech was heard from above, and the Nazgul took one more look at her before flying back into the air. Eowyn looked around to see all the Nazgul flying back towards Mordor...what was happening?

Holding her sword tightly Eowyn ran swiftly into the outer layer of orcs...she had to reach the center. Eowyn spun and cut down an orc to her left and then quickly ducking a blow pierced the gut of another. After fighting her way through Eowyn realized she had reached her companions. Smiling at her success she slashed her sword upwards bringing another foul beast down. Eowyn continued to fight her way through the orcs that came at her, to either side she could see most of her friends, and was glad to know that they were alive. Eowyn turned; her hair flying and tripped an orc before bringing her sword down into the things gut. Eowyn backed up and felt herself come into contact with something; spinning quickly with her sword swinging Eowyn was startled to have her hit blocked by the sword of another. And standing before her eyes wide was none-other than Arwen herself.

"Eowyn..." Arwen breathed out, then her eyes widened more, "Duck!" she yelled, before Eowyn could think of it she was on the ground and felt Arwens' blade swing above her and come into contact with the head of an orc. Looking behind her Eowyn watched as the head of the orc fell to the ground quickly fallowed by its body. Arwen held out her hand to Eowyn who graciously accepted it. Before she had time to say another word though she had to turn and block an orc coming her way. Slashing upwards she brought it down and then moved on to another and another. Chancing a glace behind her she saw Arwen doing the same. This was hopeless, there are too many of them!

"Aragorn!"

Eowyn whirled around hearing Arwen yell out his name. Turning to where she was making her way to Eowyn could see Aragorn was in trouble, a large Troll had him pinned on the ground. Eowyn ducked and gutted an orc in her way and made her way towards Arwen. Behind Arwen an orc approached its' blade held ready to strike. Eowyn felt a momentary panic and pushed and slashed her way through the beasts around her.

"Arwen! Look out!"

Arwen spun around too late. Eowyn pulled her blade from the foul creatures belly, standing between Arwen and her would be destructor. Breathing in a sharp breath Eowyn felt the warm trickle of blood flow from a wound in her stomach. Eowyn somehow managed to turn so she was facing Arwen, her sword clattered to the ground. Arwens' wide eyes were full of tears and her face was a mask of terror. All of the sudden a profound bang was heard and the surrounding orcs began to scatter. Both Eowyn and Arwen turned towards Mordor. The Great Eye of Sauron was falling! They had done it! Frodo had done it!

Eowyn felt a wave of dizziness hit her.

"Arwen..." she choked out before falling; Arwen caught her and lowered her safely to the ground. Eowyn whimpered as they hit the ground and held onto Arwens arm hat was wrapped around her.

"Shh, it'll be alright. It's over..." she heard Arwen whisper into her ear.

Holding onto the warmth around her, Eowyn felt herself slipping into darkness. Forcing her eyes open she heard Arwen yelling for the others.

"Arwen..." She had to make sure she knew. Arwen looked down and met …owyn's' eyes.

"Yes, I'm here, I won't leave you," Eowyn forced a smile through her pain.

"Arwen..." she said again, she could the footfalls of the others approaching."

"Eowyn!"

Eomer is coming. Eowyn reached up with her hand and let it brush a tear away from Arwens' cheek.

"Arwen...I..." But what she wanted to say was lost as she felt herself pass into darkness.

"Eowyn!"

Her name was cried out by that heavenly voice as the world faded from her site.

Pain...that was her first conscious thought. She was injured...how had she gotten hurt? Arwen...…owyn's' eyes snapped open and she bolted upwards.

"Valor!" she cried out as a jolt of pain went through her, wincing she lowered herself back down so she was lying on the soft sheets. Suddenly feeling very cold she pulled the sheets tightly around herself. Something cold and wet being placed on her forehead caused her to jump and look to her right.

Faramir stood next to her. A basin of water stood on the table next to her bed, he had placed a cold cloth on her head...why?

"Welcome back," he said.

She opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off before she could utter one word.

"Shh you have a fever."

Eowyn sighed and closed her eyes.

"You really did a number on yourself this time." Why was he watching over her? Shouldn't there be a nurse or...or...

"Arwen!"

…owyn's' eyes opened and she tried to sit up again but found herself restricted by Faramirs' hand.

"Shh lay down," he said as he pushed her back down.

"Where is Arwen? Is she okay?" Faramir smiled as he placed the cold cloth back onto her forehead.

"Arwen, has been ordered by her King to get some sleep. And it was only after I agreed to watch you for a few hours that she reluctantly agreed." …owyn's' face relaxed, she was okay.

"As you are awake, I should probably go and wake her." He stood from his crouching position.

"No!" Eowyn heard herself exclaim, lowering her voice she spoke again.

"No, let her sleep," Faramir watched her for a moment and then nodded.

"As you wish, now get some sleep." Eowyn smiled lightly and closed her eyes.

When next she opened her eyes darkness filled the room. Moonlight cast its shadow across the room bathing her in its silver glow. Eowyn sat up without ease, wincing as she did. She had been very foolish, but at least Arwen was unharmed. Glancing around the silver glowing room Eowyn noticed a chair was set up in the far shadowy corner of the room. And if her eyes were not mistaken there was a figure sleeping upon it. Eowyn sucked in a breath; it was Arwen. She could just make out her otherworldly figure through the darkness.

Is she asleep? Eowyn wondered.

Suddenly a gust of wind caused the curtains to flow out from their resting spots, and the glowing moon cast it's light of the darkened corner. Eowyn suppressed a gasp; she was infact asleep, and so very beautiful.

Eowyn pulled back her covers and placed her feet upon the cool floor. Looking down at herself she was glad to see that this time they had at least dressed her in a under-dress and not some oversized tunic. Though she could make out the bulge in the garment where the bandages were wrapped across her stomach. Holding a hand over her stomach Eowyn pushed herself into a standing position.

Looking to the corner she felt her feet begin to move towards the sleeping beauty. She stopped just infront of her, breathless Eowyn reached out with her hand to brush away some hair that had fallen into the she-elfs' face. As her fingers brushed the silken-soft skin Eowyn felt something wet on her fingers, pulling them away she looked down at them. She's been crying...

"She blames herself for what happened to you."

Eowyn almost jumped out of her skin and turned quickly towards the door. Aragorn stood just beside the bed, a hand resting on the post.

"She hasn't slept right in days," he said moving closer. Eowyn walked towards him but suddenly felt a wave of dizziness pass through her, as she began to fall Aragorn reached out and caught her.

"Easy," he said holding her up. "Come on back to bed," he said helping her walk back to the soft mattress. Sitting down on the bed Eowyn suddenly felt very tired again. Aragorn sat down beside her, and all was silent for a few moments before Eowyn broke it.

"It was my fault this happened. I don't want her blaming herself. I should have listened." Aragorn looked at her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"No, if you had not come Arwen could be dead now. I...I want to thank you for what you did for her. You're really the only true friend she has." Eowyn looked down at her hands. She felt so guilty, what was she going to do? Aragorn smiled and stood.

"Well I should be heading off to bed. Goodnight Eowyn," Eowyn glanced up at him and nodded.

"Goodnight Lord Aragorn," Eowyn whispered back.

Eowyn watched as Aragorn walked over to where Arwen slept, bending down he placed a soft kiss upon her head. He stood there for a moment before turning and walking to the door. Glancing back he nodded again to Eowyn. She forced a smile as she watched him leave. Lying back down she could feel sleep approaching once again. Keeping her eyes locked on Arwen as long as possible sleep slowly took her.