Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

For the next couple days Eowyn spent the time talking with random people who came to visit her. Eomer came on the day after her conversation with Aragorn, they spent the day talking and reminiscing on past events, he wasn't thrilled with her fallowing them to battle once again, but he knew that he could do nothing once she had set her mind to something. Arwen had been gone that morning when Eowyn had woken which saddened her. The day after that Merry came by with Pippin, and Eowyn was about to greet them when two hobbits she had not met before came in behind them. Eowyn learned that these were the infamous Frodo and Sam she had heard so much about. These were the ones who had saved them all, she could tell immediately who Frodo was, well of course Merry had described them both vividly but the ex- ring-bearer had this look of weariness the other didn't, of course they both looked worn but she could tell that there was still a heavy weight on the poor hobbit even though the ring was gone. She spent that day chatting with the hobbits pleasantly, listening to their stories and tales. By the end of that second day she was longing to stretch her legs, a nurse came in to change her bandages ever so often but it didn't pain her as much and wound seemed to be healing. On the third day she got her chance, even though it was not how she would have liked it.

After waking early on the third day Eowyn was graced with a visit by Lord Faramir. He spoke of how he had been speaking with her brother and had learned that she had been stuck in this room for days.

"Would you care to accompany me on a walk in the gardens?" he asked. Eowyn smiled at him, she did need to stretch her legs that was sure enough.

"I am in need of a break from this dreary room."

She said glancing around at the empty room. Looking back up at him she smiled and said, "I'd love to, I'll just be a moment."

She could finally change into something other then the old gown she'd been wearing. Putting on an elegant forest green gown her brother had left for her Eowyn exited the room to greet Faramir.

"My Lady, you look stunning." He said in his calm voice.

Eowyn blushed at the compliment, she knew it was a lie, she looked horrid with sickness but as she was feeling better she wanted some air and this was her only chance to get passed the guards. He held out his arm to her but she politely refused, content to walk beside him.

After turning down a few corridors Eowyn did not recognize (but kept in note of the path) they emerged from a great oak door into the most beautiful garden Eowyn had ever seen. Lilies were spread along the stone pathways, and great bushes of different colored roses were spread throughout the garden. Beautiful drooping willow trees lined parts of the paths with their feathery branches. As they walked down one of the many paths Eowyn could hear that somewhere there was a stream trickling down some rocks. Eowyn was too stunned by the beauty of it all to say anything, and Faramir seemed content in the silence. A thought caused Eowyn to snap out of her reverie.

"Lord Faramir, "she said softly.

He turned towards her and they paused in their walking, "whose garden is this, that it stuns me with its beauty?" Faramir started walking again so Eowyn fallowed.

"At one time...it was my brothers and mine. Now..." he paused in his speech and Eowyn felt a sadness for him. "It is just mine now."

Eowyn turned away from him and she imagined what it must have been like to loose a brother. She felt her heart break at the thought of it, but she still had Eomer so she should not think of such sad things. They stopped at a bench and sat on smooth stone. Eowyn sighed and noted how sad Faramir now looked.

"I am sorry, you must have been very close to your brother." She said.

Faramir looked down at the ground before turning his gaze towards Eowyn, a sad smile playing on his lips.

"Close...yes Boromir and I were as close as we could be," Eowyn watched him for a moment; it was as if there was some hidden meaning in that statement. But whatever it was she could not figure out, sighing she gave him a smile of her own before turning away and falling into silence. The two stayed that way for many moments before Faramir finally broke the stillness.

"Will you and your brother be staying for a while after the wedding?" he asked, his tone now happier. Eowyn turned sharply towards him.

"Wedding?" she asked, her body now filling with panic.

He nodded, "Yes, Lord Aragorn and Lady Arwen are to be wed at Lord Aragorn's' coronation." He paused for a moment seeing the distress etched on her face, "Did you not know?"

Eowyn breathed in trying to keep calm, she knew this was coming... but a part of her had she just accept this? Move on? Forget what was...is in her heart?

"My Lady?" Faramirs voice cut through her thoughts, She turned to him and forgot for a moment what it was he wanted an answer to.

"No...no I did not," she said putting on her best fake smile. "That is wonderful news," she said, her fist clenched at her side.

Eowyn inhaled trying to calm herself but found herself standing the next moment with a confused Faramir looking up at her. Calming her voice she quickly blurted out a quick, "Excuses me Lord Faramir," she turned to leave but found Faramir standing a moment later beside her.

"Let me walk you..."

"No, Thank you Faramir, the garden is lovely and the fresh air has done me wonders."

She then walked as quickly as she could through the paths of the garden until she came to the great door once again. She breathed in trying to calm her nerves before re-entering the castle; reaching up brush away stray tears she was surprised to find there were none. Her eyes had dried up it seemed, but she would not give in yet. No she would not deny what her heart told her.

Running throughout the corridors Eowyn found the armory once again, grabbing a sword she ran from the white city, stopping at the forest line near the city she collapsed on the ground the sword digging into the dirt. With a sudden great cry Eowyn stood and swung the sword into the nearest tree. Pulling away she slashed at it again and again, she hacked at the thing until her arms were tried and she could feel the weight of everything pushing her down. Falling to her knees she let out a sob she did not know she still had in her. Still no tears came though, looking back at the unsuspecting tree she saw that she had barely left a dent in the strong bark. She felt useless again, if she could not even make a mark in a simple tree how could ever hope to convince Arwen to not go through with this marriage? She sighed and rested her forehead against the hilt of the blade dug into the ground. It was all so hopeless...No! I will not give in! Her mind screamed at her.

"Whatever the tree has done to deserve such punishment must have been dreadful."

…owyn's' head snapped up and she looked around for the source of the voice. She'd know that soft female voice anywhere, but where was she? Standing from her kneeing position Eowyn whirled around looking wildly everywhere, maybe she had imagined the voice. Just then she heard a distinct snap from above her. Looking up Eowyn saw Arwen sitting on a high tree branch of the tree she'd been hacking at. She was smiled down at her but another distinct snap and the wobbling of the branch caused her smile to fade quickly.

"Oh my..." Arwen whispered.

The next moment the branch along with Arwen had fallen from the tree, the branch landed with a thud a few feet away. While Arwen landed conveniently right on top of Eowyn causing them both to tumble to the ground.

Hitting the ground hard Eowyn found her air constricted by the soft yet firm body of Arwen. Arwen shifted holding herself up with her hands, Eowyn looked up at the woman above her.

"Arwen, are you all right?" she asked. Arwen seemed unable to speak.

"I'm sorry," she said softly.

Eowyn was finding it hard to breathe, although now it was because she could feel Arwens body pressed firmly against her own. Arwen looked into …owyn's eyes and spoke softly.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

Eowyn could say nothing but nodded. Eowyn couldn't stand it, this was too close and too much, leaning in she genteelly captured Arwens lips with her own. For a moment it seemed that Arwen may pull away but she relaxed into the kiss. …owyn's arms wrapped around Arwens body and her hands traveled up the lady's back. Abruptly Arwen pulled away and practically jumped to her feet.

"Stop this!" Arwen exclaimed. "I am to be married to Aragorn..." Eowyn lay there dazed for a moment before soaring to her feet, anger flaring in her veins.

"Stop this!?" Eowyn repeated back.

"STOP THIS!?" she yelled.

Eowyn marched towards her and forcefully grabbed her shoulders and shook her.

"What do you want me to stop?" she questioned loudly.

"Stop loving you? Because I'm sorry but that's something I just cannot do," Arwens' eyes had tears in them but she said nothing.

"I will not watch you throw your life away! I cannot!" Eowyn was wild with rage and sorrow. This was all so wrong.

"Arwen!" she said, desperately shaking her once more.

"I love him," she said, her eyes closed.

Eowyn let go of her arms, "You do not! You may love a memory of him but not the man he is now."

Eowyn spoke, lowering her tone as she finished. Arwens eyes opened and she looked Eowyn in the eyes.

"You presume to know my heart but you do not! Just because you have some feelings does not mean they are returned!"

Eowyn couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"They are!" she said.

"You've said so yourself..." Arwen backed away little by little.

"Think!" she snapped, "Have I ever said those words? Do you recall me saying them?"

Eowyn stood in disbelief. It didn't matter, Arwen loved her, she knew it! She could feel it in ever fiber of her bones! But now that she thought back, she realized those words were never given to her. Could it be true? Then what was all of this? She felt as though her very soul was being crushed with those words.

"You...I..." but Eowyn knew not what to say.

Arwen face softened and looked almost regretful. Stepping forward Arwen placed a hand on …owyn's cheek, "I'm Sorry Eowyn but I cannot give you what you seek."

Eowyn closed her eyes and focused on the feeling of Arwens hand on her cheek. …owyn's' eyes snapped open and she pushed Arwens hand away and backed up a few paces.

"So what was all of this?" she snapped.

"What was I?" she asked stepping forward again. "Just some bed warmer to use and discard till you found your old one appealing again?"

Eowyn was yelling now and did not care if anyone heard her.

"Did you ever have feelings for me at all?" she shrieked.

Arwen raised her hand and brought it down hard onto …owyn's' cheek. The profound smack echoed into the trees and caused a few birds to take off into flight. Eowyn slowly raised a hand to her cheek, and stared in disbelief at the woman infront of her. Arwen was almost shaking with anger and eyes fiery and wild.

"Don't you dare be-little my feelings!" …owyn's' mind was spinning, how could she keep changing her mind every few minutes? She couldn't keep up this spiral of emotions. Arwens' gaze remained the same but something flickered in them indicating that she'd realized her mistake. But her face remained stern and she looked away from Eowyn.

"You should leave..." she said, her eyes downcast.

Eowyn waited for the lady's eyes to rise again feeling the sting on her cheek and in her heart She met her gaze and Eowyn took a step backwards and gave a small bow.

"As you wish" she turned and picked up her sword.

"My Queen," she added.

Casually Eowyn walked back to the city, her gaze fixed on nothing yet everything at the same time. Lost in her own thoughts of what to do she concluded one thing, She would leave before the wedding, she'd made her decision.

Storming into the great hall, Eowyn scanned the crowds for her brother. Catching sight of him talking with Aragorn on the far corner she made her way through the bodies of people.

"Ah Eowyn!" her brother exclaimed as she approached.

"There you are. Lord Aragorn and I were beginning to think you might have stolen his queen away."

Eowyn's eyes widened. "Beg your pardon?" she asked, hiding her momentary panic from her voice.

"Arwen it seems has done a little disappearing act herself. I have not seen her since early this morning," Aragorn said with slight concern tracing his voice.

"I was hoping that the two of you had just gone off somewhere, but as you are here alone I am beginning to fret." He said getting a little fidgety and looking around the room.

Eowyn breathed in and put on her best fake smile. "Then you need not worry My Lord," she said calmly. "I have indeed seen Lady Arwen this afternoon."

Aragorn smiled at this news, relief relaxing him.

"Pray tell then, where has she been hiding?" he asked.

"The last I saw her she was at the forest edge just outside the city. I am sure she will return soon my lord." She reassured him.

As if on cue Arwen entered the hall, her hair now up in a few delicate braids. Her now earth green dress flowed as she made her way to wards the group. The lady smiled lovingly as she met her Kings' stare. Eowyn turned her head to hide her frown.

"Ah my love there you are!" Aragorn said taking her into his arms and kissing her lightly. Eowyn looked up was met with her brothers' gaze. Immediately she tried to cover her frown with a light smile but she knew he'd already noticed it. Looking down she felt his comforting grip on her shoulder before he linked their arms in a quick movement.

"If you'd excuses us My Lord, My Lady," he said towards the couple before them.

…owyn's' head snapped up and she smiled inwardly at her brothers' way of always getting her out of awkward situations. As they began to turn away Eowyn chanced a glace back at the two, Aragorn was looking the opposite way his arm still linked with Arwens whose sad blue eyes were facing away from him and to the marble floor. Eowyn felt a tug on her arm and turned back into pace with her brother. Arwens eyes lifted towards …owyn's' retreating form...

"Isn't that right my love?" Aragorn's' voice broke her silent torment. Blinking away tears she turned back to him and put on a smile.

"What was that my lord?"

Cool air blew …owyn's' hair around her as she and Eomer stood on the balcony of the great hall.

"So Eowyn," he said pausing as he leaned his arms onto the edge.

"Are you going to tell me what that was all about?" he asked turning to face her.

Eowyn sighed, could she really explain the real reason? He was her brother. No even he would not understand, no one would.

"I...I plan to leave tomorrow morning, I will return to Edoras and await your arrival." Still not looking at him she added, "Our people have much to re-build and we have been away too long as it is."


Now it was Eomers' time to frown.

"Leave? But Eowyn tomorrow is Lord Aragorn's' Coronation ceremony, not to mention his and Lady Arwens' Mar-" his words faded from his mouth as something clicked in his head.

"I see." He said quietly. "You leave Because of the wedding do you not?"

Eowyn looked up at him briefly, damn him for always reading her so well! Not saying anything she nodded and looked away once more. Looking over the darkening land of Gondor she sighed. This place was not meant for her, and neither was neither was she that would rule over it. She felt so foolish; no matter how she looked at it she could not find a way for it to work. As much as she loved Arwen she could not stay here. Arwen was right; she should leave.

"Eowyn as much as you may love him you cannot-"

"Tis not Lord Aragorn that I love Eomer," she said without thinking. Looking up at her brother she noticed he seemed taken aback, he obviously had thought he'd figured it all out. He sighed and placed two fingers on the bridge of his nose.

"I do not understand Eowyn, you say you leave because of the wedding yet you say it is not because of the Lord, what in middle earth could be your reasoning then?" his voice unintentionally rising a little.

"Just leave it Eomer, Tis not important."

He huffed at this. "Well obviously it is! You should see yourself Eowyn!" his voice turning into a yell.

"I said leave it Eomer!" she shrieked back.

"We have never had secrets! Now for all the good of Middle earth tell me wh-"

"BECAUSE TIS THE LADY I LOVE!"

…owyn's' blood pumped loudly in her ears and it was then she realized why the sound was so loud. The great hall had grown silent and standing in the doorway to the balcony was the Lord and Lady: Aragorn and Arwen. Eowyn stood transfixed with fear, looking at nothing else but Arwen she felt the silence beginning to consume her.