What Dreams May Come by Summer

Frodo awoke to find himself lying on the ferry boat and he could feel the movement of the river once more, now flowing upstream. A slight breeze was blowing and there seemed to be a bright light above him. Daring to look up, Frodo could see Patter standing behind him with his head bowed at the light above the boat and he appeared to be filled with sorrow.

It took a moment before Frodo realized that Patter was speaking to the light as well.

"I deeply regret what happened. I know, I know I should not have taken him that way, but I feared to leave him behind on the embankment. I am sorry! Please forgive me, it was a terrible mistake."

Frodo could hear no voices but the light above him seemed most comforting. Sitting up, Frodo stared at the light, wondering what it was. It seemed to be pulling the boat even faster away from the darkness and as they went further upstream, the tunnels changed, becoming less intimidating and frightening. It reminded Frodo of Bilbo's stories of Thorin's Lonely Mountain.

Wiping a stray tear from his eye, Frodo turned back to Patter in confusion.

"What's happening? Where am I being taken?"

"To the Halls of Mandos , which is where you were supposed to be taken in the first place. My humblest apologies, dear little one. I thought you were of importance but did not suspect how important. Fear not, she will lead you now to the Halls."

Still confused, Frodo turned back to the light to see a familiar and beautiful Elf woman standing before him. It was Arwen, or at least it appeared to be an image of her. She smiled down at him and offered Frodo her hand.

Feeling less frightened by this figure, Frodo gave her his hand. "Arwen? How did you come to be here?"

"It has been many years since I passed out of my body, Frodo. Here I dwell as a guide to those who come from the mortal life of Middle-Earth. It is work that I have grown quite fond of. I was supposed to meet you at the crossroads but somehow, you wound up in the Four Corners and there you have witnessed something you should never have seen. Patter is very sorry for frightening you."

"The last thing I remember was being with Sam in Valinor. He was tired and sad after learning that our children had died. Elessar, Little Merry and little Pippin and Florin. We heard about you and Aragorn dying and of the others, my cousins...."

"Fear not, Frodo. Only mortal death did they experience. They live still in spirit and are waiting for you."

Frodo smiled and allowed Arwen to pull him into her arms and he sighed blissfully.

"You will be with your Sam very soon. I promise."

Relieved beyond words, Frodo could only hold on tighter to Arwen's hand. "Thank you."

The boat finally came to a halt, nudging against the embankment. Frodo peeked out and saw what looked to him like Moria, only brighter and more majestic. There were great halls and doorways and the ground was soft; the soil reminded Frodo of the sand of the sea.

Arwen led him off the boat and Frodo glanced back at Patter. Seeing his pained face, he smiled gently at him and waved goodbye. Patter too finally smiled and then with a nod, turned away and with his oar, headed down stream.

"My Lady, what exactly is the Halls of Mandos?"

"It is a place where all must go when they leave their mortal life on Middle-Earth. It is a place where all are judged by what they have done or have failed to do in their life. Mandos knows all and sees everything. He is very fair and wise. He reminds me of my Ada."

Frodo grinned and nodded. "Elrond was reunited with Celebrian in Valinor and you have two new sisters. They look alot like you. But he misses you deeply."

Arwen smiled and nodded. "Excellent, for when I am graced with another renewal of life, I will be most ready to be with Ada again."

Frodo knitted his brows, befuddled. Seeing his confusion, she smiled. "Once, I lived before, many days long past as the Lady of Luthien. I passed into death, for I gave up my immortality and dared to love a mortal. I was graced then with another chance for life, but once again, I relinquished my immortality to love a mortal...and love him I did, as you know. But now, I am ready. Ready to live that which was intended. Soon, I shall be born again as Ada's third daughter in Valinor, where I will remain."

Frodo, understanding at last, grinned. "You will be with your father once again."

For a moment Frodo wondered what happened to Aragorn. Even after so many years, Frodo still felt a deep love for the human Ranger he met in Bree, during the time of the War of the Rings.

Arwen continued to lead Frodo down many halls and through several large doors.

Frodo stopped in his tracks when he saw that the doors were all a bit different. One had Dwarf markings. On another door were Elf markings.

"What is this?"

"These are the doorways to worlds and plains of Light. Each race that comes to the Halls of Mandos must be sorted into their proper place after judgment. Here is a place where heroic Dwarves come. And here-" Arwen pointed to the elvish door, "is a place where Elves of great honor in battle come."

She paused and moved to the Dwarf door and tapped lightly upon it. A few seconds later, several heavy footsteps were heard and a loud voice called out, demanding to know who it was.

"It is I, Lady Arwen. Open."

At once the door opened and an older Dwarf with gray and silver hair braids appeared, wearing armor made of pure gold.

"What is it? Another arrival so soon? Eh, what is this? This is no Dwarf. Is this some sort of joke being played, can't you see I am in the middle of spinning my legendary tale to my fellow Dwarves, I have no time to speak to...." He paused and then glancing at Frodo's four-fingered hand, he gasped in surprise, as Arwen smiled. "Well I'll be, it can't be...surely not? Frodo Baggins, is it?!"

At once Frodo was drawn up in a tight embrace and spun in circles. Laughing and not exactly sure why, Frodo stared at the strange Dwarf in happy confusion.

"Yes I am. I just arrived."

"Well, well, come on in. I am Thorin, King Under the Mountain, and I so enjoy the company of a Baggins! Of which I haven't been graced in some time since Bilbo went off to the Plains of Paradise...I must send him a message to please visit."

Pausing, the gruff Dwarf saw that Arwen had stopped Frodo from entering and was shaking her head at the Dwarf. "Dearest King Under the Mountain, Frodo has not yet met Mandos. Therefore, he cannot enter the rooms. Once he has been judged, I will see about a visit and I will convey your message to Bilbo as soon as possible."

Frodo stared in shock and amazement. He couldn't believe he was actually staring at Thorin, the legend himself.

"All right then. But have our burglar bring this one along with him, eh?! I would so enjoy some new stories around the fire!"

Glancing in, Frodo could see many Dwarves were gathering in what appeared to be a large dining room with an abundance of food on many tables. A fire was roaring in the center and next to it, at a set of smaller tables, Dwarves were playing various games. Laughter and story telling could be heard in the crowded room and all seemed to be having a wonderful time. For a moment, Frodo wanted to enter this friendly environment and have a chance to finally meet Thorin, the Dwarf who helped his Uncle fight a dragon. But his thoughts turned to Sam and Bilbo, and Frodo longed to see them and be reassured that the end of everything was not necessarily the end.

"I will! Thank you, oh, Great King Under the Mountain." Frodo bowed before him and the Dwarf laughed.

"Just like Bilbo! Ha! Another Burglar!"

Arwen closed the door and smiled down at Frodo to see his questioning eyes. "Once you are graced by Mandos' judgement, it is permitted to visit the other plains to see old acquaintances and friendships of one's past."

"Bilbo IS here?"

"Of course, Frodo. All you have loved and cared for are here."

"Truly?" Frodo asked, his eyes already filling with tears.

"Truly." Arwen replied and took Frodo into her arms. "Now come."

As they turned to head down the halls, a tall figure came walking by, heading for what appeared to be the Elven door. So caught up in his own thoughts, he failed to look down and therefore, collided with Frodo. Arwen laughed as the Elf Lord became entangled with the small Hobbit.

Surprised and a little bit caught off guard, the Elf Lord narrowed his eyes at the Hobbit and shook his head, speaking to Arwen in rapid Quenya; unbeknownst to the Elf, Frodo understood, having dwelt in Valinor for so many years.

"Another Halfling? They seem to be quite abundant these days in the Halls of Mandos."

"They have earned a place of honor as all the others."

The Elf Lord shrugged and getting to his feet, helped Frodo onto his as well. Noticing the four fingers on the small left hand, he too gasped in surprise, much like the Dwarf, and turned to Arwen. "It is not him?"

Arwen nodded.

"It is the one? He has come at last? Oh!"

Now speaking in the common tongue, the Elf Lord bowed before the hobbit, which made Frodo feel quite nervous. He never, even after so many years, got use to being the center of attention.

"The Ringbearer! I am indeed honored to meet you at last. Welcome to the Halls of Mandos!"

Frodo watched as he bowed and uncertain of proper etiquette, returned the Elf's gesture. "The honor is mine...ahm?"

"You may call me Gil-Galad."

Frodo's mouth dropped in shock. Bowing once more, Gil-Galad bowed lightly to the Lady and then entered the elven door, closing it softly behind him.

Frodo finally turned to Arwen just in time for her to reach down with her hand and close Frodo's mouth for him. "We can not linger any longer. Come, it is time to meet Mandos."

Frodo hesitated and then taking Arwen's hand, he allowed himself to be led towards the end of the corridor where a large silver door awaited them. Swallowing, Frodo tried to ignore the sight of the two, large guards standing at either side of the door with crossed swords to bar the entrance. They looked to be elven, covered in shining, ancient armor and quite intimidating.

Oh, how Frodo wished Gandalf or Lady Galadriel were here with him!

Arwen nodded to each of them and at once, they pulled aside their long swords and opened the door.

A bright white light appeared from within, and Frodo hesitated once again. Then, with an encouraging look from Arwen, he walked into the light.