What Dreams May Come by Summer

The blinding light faded to reveal a large golden hall. It was huge and Frodo was surprised as he looked up at the ceiling to see a thousand shining stars twinkling down at him. It was breathtaking. Looking back at the hall, Frodo saw that on the far side of the room, coming up from the ground and leading to the stars, was a bright column of yellowish light. It seemed to be flowing continuously.

Turning away from it, Frodo spotted a large silver throne on the far right side of the room and seated upon it was an Elf-like being dressed in golden robes. He appeared to be rather old, with long flowing hair and a long beard. Spotting a figure at the Elf's side, Frodo gave out a joyful cry at the familiar sight. Running to the now laughing form, Frodo dived into the arms of Gandalf.

"Gandalf! Gandalf, you're here!"

Now weeping bitterly, Frodo buried his hands in the wizard's robes, trying his best to get closer in an attempt to feel safe. Of course he was safe. Gandalf was here.

Gandalf's laughter stopped and with a heavy sigh, he held Frodo tightly in his arms. "Oh Frodo! My dearest Hobbit, I am so sorry for the fright you received in coming here. I knew I should have been there at your passing so I could be your guide into the dark. But alas, I had been away on other matters for Manwe. My poor Hobbit."

Frodo only wept all the more and dug deeper into Gandalf's embrace. "Don't let me go! It was so awful! I was so afraid and alone and I-I couldn't find Sam. They took me downstream...Oh, Gandalf!"

Sighing angrily, Gandalf pulled Frodo's head up to meet his eyes and shook his head. "I will have some words with Grim and Patter for this."

Hearing this Frodo shrugged and wiped at the tears still falling from his face.

"Please, Gandalf, it wasn't really Patter's fault. He didn't want to leave me on the embankment alone and he was kind to me, really. He didn't mean to scare me. In fact, he was very nice. I just-I just didn't like that dark place. It reminded me of...." Frodo closed his eyes and remembered the dark place, the place filled with Orcs and screams and whips.

"Hush now, you are safe."

Frodo smiled and nodded. "I am glad you are here, but Gandalf, I am so confused. I was cold and I-I have tears? I thought when you die, that doesn't happen anymore. And how did you get to be here? And where is Sam, have you seen Sam?"

Gandalf's sadness vanished at the rush of questions and he laughed heartily.

"Ah, Hobbits never change. Always filled with one question after another. First off, you were cold because you still have the after effects of life. As for tears...whether you are living or have passed from life to another existence, you will always have your emotions, for that is a part of your spirit and a very beautiful one at that. As for why I am here? Because I wanted to be, and Manwe asked Eru to grant my wish and he graciously did so, knowing full well how attached I have become to certain...races. Yes, Frodo, no matter where you go, I shall come and visit you. When I have the time, of course."

Frodo blushed and then waited expectantly for another one of his questions to be answered.

"As for Sam, you just missed him. He was here for judgment. He wanted to wait for you but Mandos had other judgments to make. Fear not -- you will see him shortly. Now, put aside your questions for here is someone who has been waiting eagerly and rather impatiently for you. Mandos, may I introduce to you, Frodo Baggins of the Shire."

Placed back on the floor again, Frodo was turned to the man sitting on the throne, who seemed even more gigantic than Gandalf. He looked taller then any Elf Frodo had ever seen. Swallowing, Frodo walked slowly towards him and then bowed before him.

A smile creased the old man's face, and Frodo was lost in his bright eyes that seemed to shine like the stars above.

"At last we meet, Frodo Baggins. I have longed to meet you. Frodo, of the nine fingers, who bore the Ring of Doom."

Frodo swallowed again and nervously, his hands went to his vest. Surprised, he realized that he was still dressed in the clothes he had died in beside Sam, in his smial in Valinor.

Looking back at the Great Lord Mandos, Frodo felt quite small and very insignificant. He had never in his wildest dreams thought he would ever come so far. He had dreamed a thousand times as a child, wishing with all his heart to see the world. And not just Middle-Earth, but everything and beyond it. Sometimes late at night, when there were no clouds in the sky, Frodo would make his way to his hidden spot and sit under the waterfall, staring at the stars. And he wondered, wondered what lay beyond those sparkling lights in the sky.

Snapped back to reality, Frodo saw that Mandos was smiling again at the Hobbit and speaking more to Gandalf then to him.

"Hobbits. They are exceptional. Every time I meet one, I am amazed at their beauty and innocence. I have desired for a long time to bring this one here and to bestow upon him judgment, but Eru commanded me to give him a long life of peace in Valinor with the Elves. Why is this?"

Gandalf didn't hesitate. "Does it surprise you that of all the Hobbits and creatures of Middle-Earth, this one was held in special honor and love by the Elves? They and the Valar did not wish to see him depart from their worlds. From his birth, he has carried within him a light that has never been seen before and will never be seen again."

"Yes, I can see that. But he still suffered great sadness, even in Valinor. This one has always felt different and isolated. I wished him to come here so he may have true peace. Eru's will I obeyed but now that I have this one, I shall never let him go."

Shaking a little in confusion, Frodo looked to Gandalf for help, but Gandalf only winked at Frodo and that alone reassured him that all was well.

"Come here, child of light."

Frodo hesitated and then drew closer. Bending forward, Mandos gently raised his own hand and placed it on Frodo's head.

The Hobbit suddenly felt exceedingly warm and a brightness seemed to flash deep inside. A dark memory was plucked out and vanished from his mind. Entranced, Frodo allowed the memory to be taken from him.

"You are removing the memory he had of first coming here?" asked Gandalf, realizing what Mandos was doing.

"He was never supposed to see such darkness or evil. It will do him no harm to remove this one memory."

"Why not remove the other dark memories?" asked Gandalf, wishing in his heart that the memory of the Ring and Sauron's tainted evil could be whisked away from Frodo's mind as well.

"Because each memory has made Frodo what he is. To remove all those memories you suggest would cause him great fear and confusion. No, those memories will remain. In time, they will fade. Ah!" Mandos paused as he ended the spell, seeing more of Frodo's mind . "What a sweet Hobbit, much like that gardener, so timid and shy. But this one has such an intriguing mind, always wanting to know and experience everything and always thinking...my goodness. What amusing creatures these are. They never cease to amaze me."

"Nor me," replied Gandalf.

Removing his hand from Frodo's forehead, he watched as the Hobbit opened his eyes as if returning from a deep, peaceful sleep. Staring up at Mandos, Frodo felt rather foolish for daydreaming and took a few uncertain steps back.

"Fear not, little star, for it is time for judgment to be placed. Go to the wall of light and enter it."

Frodo paused and turned to the flowing light he had seen when he first came in. His eyes widening in fright, Frodo turned to Gandalf for assistance.

"That is the Light of Justice. It was created by Eru himself and given to Mandos as a gift to help him decide where to place all souls that enter his kingdom. The Light reflects one's spirit and depending on the color it emits, it decides one's fate."

Frodo continued to stare at Gandalf in fear and then back at the light in deep trepidation. Going to Gandalf, Frodo opened his hands and the wizard sadly shook his head.

"I am afraid I cannot lead you this time, Frodo. You must go on this journey alone."

The tears once again welled up in Frodo's eyes and he swallowed and turned back to the light, then glancing at Mandos. This time, all expression was wiped from his face, but when Mandos spoke, it was soft and low.

"The Light has many colors, Eru cast them within to decide one's fate. Black for evil and souls unredeemable. Orange for those who have led an evil life at the start but in the end, changed for the better and therefore, are graced with purification and someday granted a second chance. Blue, which is often bestowed upon heroic Elves, Dwarves and Humans. Yes, each color reflects one's soul. I have seen many colors and I look forward to seeing what color comes from you, Frodo Baggins. Enter the light and face thy judgment."

Frodo sighed and slowly made his way towards it, but as he walked each step, dark memories assaulted him. Frodo reflected on all the bad things he had done in his life. The stolen apples from Mrs. Dumbledee's orchard. The mushrooms pilfered from Farmer Maggot. Of course, years later, he paid them back thricefold for the little misdemeanors he had committed upon them. But surely that did not matter. He stole from others and that would not bode well in judgment.

Frodo remembered how he had allowed his cousins and Sam to journey with him to Mordor. Would that count as a strike against him, for allowing innocent creatures to accompany him on such a dangerous and evil quest?

What about his hateful words to Sam while he carried Sauron's Ring? What about when he claimed the Ring at the end, and failed to do that which he had been bid, to cast the Ring of power back into the fires from whence it came?

What about Gollum? Frodo had promised to save the pitiful creature, but he fell into the fires of Mount Doom with his precious.

Last, but not least, did Eru condone or condemn those who loved their own gender? Would Eru be disgusted at the knowledge that Frodo had chosen to love his gardener and lived out his life with Samwise Gamgee? What of Frodo's secret love for Aragorn? Bad enough to choose to love another male, but what of a Human male on top of that?

As Frodo finally reached the light, he felt the tears burn down his cheeks and feeling hope fade from within, he swallowed one last time and entered the beam.

With his eyes closed, Frodo waited for the end of all things.

Memories surfaced in Frodo's mind and he watched as his life was played out before him. Gandalf's fireworks, the books Bilbo had given him, his parents, Sam, The Shire, Bag End, Elves...

Mandos rose from his throne, his eyes widened in absolute shock and delight. The light flashed around Frodo and then the entire room was engulfed with the colors of the rainbow, each color vibrant and growing brighter with each passing moment. Pink, yellow, blue, green, white, purple and colors that had yet to be seen by others. Then, diamonds, like grains of sand, sparkled all above Frodo and around him and through him. When Frodo finally took a step out of the light, his appearance had changed.

Frodo now was dressed in clothing similar to his usual, but instead of brown and reds, they were silver and white. A long cloak of shimmering bright colors folded around him. His face appeared youthful, as he had appeared before the One Ring had come to him. His four-fingered hand was now restored and whole. His skin glowed with an aura of light and above his head was a crown of diamonds, glittering and twinkling in bright flowing energy.

Frodo the Ringbearer he was no more. Before them stood Frodo, as he was always meant to be.

Gandalf sighed in pleasure, while Mandos shook his head in pure amazement. With his eyes still closed, Frodo wept softly, still waiting for the dark judgment and knowing there was no place he could hide. Not even Gandalf could save him now.

"Frodo, open your eyes."

Frodo did as he was ordered and stared sadly up at Mandos and Gandalf, expecting the worst.

"Look, Frodo, look at thy judgment, look!" Mandos stepped forward and turning Frodo to the light once more, Frodo saw that it had changed into a glass-like mirror. What Frodo saw reflected back caused him to stare in utter astonishment.

Was that a crown upon his forehead? Did he look younger? Did he really have all his fingers, onetwothreefourfivesixseveneightnine...yes ten! Ten wonderful little fingers. Frodo swung around and cried out in happiness and flew to Gandalf, who was already laughing in his own joy. Frodo joined him and exalted as Gandalf tossed Frodo into the air and caught him easily before setting the Hobbit back down.

Frodo then turned to confront Mandos.

He stared down at Frodo in quiet contemplation and getting down onto his knees (still being quite tall), he bestowed a kiss upon Frodo's forehead.

"I am so very honored to meet you, Frodo Baggins. Truly you are a light that will never be seen again in Middle-Earth. But joy shall come to all here who will pay witness to your beauty and purity. I could in my power bestow upon you several choices. I could grant you another life...a return to Middle-Earth...perhaps as a grandchild from Samwise the Brave's line? Or perhaps I could grant you a place in the Halls of the Elves...with whom you have so happily dwelt for so long? No, instead I will grant you a place, a special place where you will reside for all eternity. Surrounded by all those who have loved you and who you have loved. Yes, for true happiness can only be found with the presence of loved ones...and love you shall have for the rest of your days...and beyond."

Getting to his feet and moving back, he bowed to Frodo and returned to his throne. Gandalf then came forward and took Frodo's hand into his own.

"Come Frodo, it is time to go to the Halls of Paradise."

Frodo smiled and gratefully, he followed Gandalf out of the Halls of Mandos and back down the great halls of Light. Without faltering in step, Frodo passed each door with a feeling of great happiness and excitement as this new adventure was about to take him, he hoped, to his loved ones. To Bilbo. . .And would Sam be there too? Hastening his pace, Frodo was equal to Gandalf's footsteps and found himself suddenly in front of a large golden gate. What lay beyond was a green valley of unsurpassed beauty. It was then that Frodo realized he had truly come home... at last.