What Dreams May Come by Summer

A thought suddenly struck Frodo as he prepared to enter the gates. Pausing, Frodo turned to Gandalf questioningly.

"How are Gimli and Legolas? How is Alasse dealing with our deaths?"

Frodo felt sad that of all his children, she was the last left living in Valinor, and it grieved him to think that she was all alone. He also thought of the remaining living fellowship members. When Gimli and Legolas finally arrived in Valinor, it seemed the inseparable pair would never put Frodo or Sam down on the ground again. For many months afterwards, Legolas and Gimli practically lived in Frodo and Sam's smial and entertained Alasse with stories of Middle-Earth and her heroic fathers. Now, Frodo wondered how they all were.

Gandalf smiled sadly and shook his head. "They took it hard, of course, I tried to reassure them as best I could but alas, they are quite grief stricken. As are Elrond and Celebrian and Galadriel." He paused and sighed, not wishing to hold anything back.

"They are currently making a glass casket for your physical remains and when it is completed, both you and Sam will be placed near the Eastern shore...a great many mourn your passing."

"I am sorry," Frodo replied, looking down sadly and then finally, he looked back up, meeting Gandalf's eyes solemnly. "But Sam was tired...and I didn't wish to stay in Valinor without him."

"I understand. Fear not, Alasse has been taken under Galadriel's wing and will reside in her home for the last of her days. Soon, I promise, you will be reunited."

"Gimli and Legolas?"

"They still have time to spend in Valinor, adventures to retell and a few new adventures to experience. But Gimli's time is coming. He is no longer as young as he once was, and when he passes, he will take his place in the Great Halls of his forefathers."

"But not Legolas...he will live forever won't he? Poor Legolas, he will be so very lonely -- he and Gimli ahm...well you do know that they are a pair, right?"

Gandalf chuckled and then nodded sadly. "Yes I am quite aware, as strange as it is to see such an unlikely pair, or perhaps not so unlikely. I am afraid that my sight has shown me that Legolas will give sway to despair and like others of his race, he will fade. For Elves cannot only die in battle but from a broken heart."

"They will let him come here, won't they?"

"Naturally, he has proven himself virtuous and brave beyond measure. You should not be surprised when someday, a tall, blond Elf suddenly towers over you once more and offers you his bow in fealty and love."

Sad that it would only be death that could bring all of them together again, Frodo also felt happy that someday soon they would all be reunited. Relieved with this bit of news, he started to open the gate when he saw that Gandalf had turned and was walking away.

"Gandalf?"

He paused in step and glanced back at the Hobbit, smiling brightly. "I must depart for now. Do you think that all my time is reserved only for one Hobbit? Besides, before I return to Galadriel with news of you, I wish to visit old friends as well. I have missed Thorin deeply and wish to speak again of old tales and stories. Fear not, Frodo, all that you seek is beyond these gates, and I shall see you again soon."

With that, he turned away and disappeared down the long corridor. Alone, Frodo sighed and holding his breath, he swung open the gate and entered the lush lands.




Frodo hadn't taken more then two steps when he heard his name being called. Turning towards a large stone wall, Frodo laughed when he spotted two familiar Hobbits sitting on the ledge, smoking pipeweed.

"Well, you have come at last."

"Hello, Frodo," called Merry. "You certainly took your time getting here."

Laughing, Merry leaned back and that was when Frodo spotted a tall Human wearing royal clothes sitting near them. "This is King Theoden, he met us when we first arrived."

Theoden smiled at Frodo. "I meet you at last, Ringbearer. Welcome!"

Frodo smiled and watched as Pippin leaped off the wall and like a speeding arrow from Legolas's bow, dived into his arms. "Oh Frodo, I yearned to see you, dearest cousin!"

Holding him close, Frodo once again felt the tears come to his eyes and didn't dare try to hold them back. "Pippin, oh Pippin! I missed you too!"

"There are others here that missed you as well...come on, they're waiting just around the corner."

Happily, Frodo allowed himself to be lead, with Merry and Theoden waving him goodbye before returning to their pipes and story telling.

Reaching the end of the wall, Frodo turned the corner only to find himself surrounded and at the same time hugged by a gathering of Hobbits. In complete shock and joy, Frodo recognized each youthful face as his offspring.

"Florin! Little Merry and Pippin, Bo! (Frodo's son named after Bilbo), Hammy! I can't believe it! Prim, Bella, Bungo! Oh, your all here and you look so happy and young, just as I last saw you!" Frodo wept and hugged each and every one of them, followed by cries of "Father, Papa, Ada!"

Then as Frodo released Bungo, a tall form reached in and grasped Frodo into a bear hug. Gasping for breath, Frodo cried out in pleasure to see who had him in his arms. "Elessar! Oh, Elessar, it is you! My baby!"

Crying like his father, Elessar, who looked more like his Human father, only shorter and with slightly darker and curlier hair, grinned. "Yes, Papa, it is me. I have so longed to be with you! I am so glad you finally came!"

Frodo nodded, unable to help himself. "So am I! Oh, my baby, my Elessar!"

Touching Elessar and all his children over and over again to reassure himself that they were really there, Frodo did not see another arrival slowly making his way towards them, walking with a cane that was largely unnecessary.

"What's this, my nephew waylaid by a bunch of ruffians? Off with you now, and allow an old relative some room."

Turning around, Frodo gasped, unable to speak at first at the youthful sight of Bilbo Baggins standing in front of him.

"Well, don't I get a hug too?" gestured Bilbo, holding out his arms to his favorite lad. Frodo didn't need any other encouragement and flew into his uncle's embrace.

"BILBO!'

Tears streaming down both their faces, they embraced each other over and over again and for a long time afterward, just stared deeply into each other's eyes.

"Oh, Bilbo, when you left Valinor, it hurt even more than when you left the Shire. I grieved for you for so long and thought I would never see you again!"

"I know, my lad, but I was tired of my old body and I so desired to see other things. And I have, especially old friends. In fact, I am on my way there right now. Gandalf should be waiting there too." He winked at Frodo and smiled widely. "The finest ale comes from Thorin's personal brew and I mean to get my fill. Now, you relax and enjoy yourself and I will be back in a bit. Next time, I will expect you to come with me! But right now, there are many more just waiting to see you, so I shall take my leave."

Unable to wipe the smile off his face, Frodo just watched his uncle pass the gates where a certain Dwarf appeared to be waiting for him.

"Hullo Balin, come to meet me, have you?"

"Thorin ordered me to, he said if you didn't have a sound and sure guide, you would get lost."

"Lost indeed! That silly Dwarf still thinks he is the King Under the Mountain. If it weren't for me and my maps, he still would be looking for the secret keyhole! Come on! Stop gaping at me, lead on!"

Frodo chuckled, watching them disappear but before he could turn back to his children, he found himself once again swept up into strong arms and suspended between not one but two large Humans.

"What do we have here? An Orc spy, brother?"

"Nay, my brother, just another short Human, me thinks."

"Human! Human, how dare you!" Frodo sputtered, then stopped when the two men laughed and hugged him tightly. Catching his breath, Frodo recognized these ruffians and giggled. "Boromir, Faramir! You're here too?"

"Where else would we be? Only for a brief visit, though. Boromir was missing your cousins and so I came to keep him in line. You know how much work that is."

Grimacing, but with a sparkle in his eye, Boromir shook his shoulders. "I can still whip you, little brother. We'll see who keeps who in line."

Then, becoming serious, Boromir faced Frodo solemnly. Setting the Hobbit down, he bowed before Frodo and kept his head lowered.

"Frodo, I wish to take this opportunity to beg your forgiveness...in the woods of Amon Hen...what I did was beyond forgiveness, but I seek it from you nonetheless."

Frodo didn't allow him to go on. Reaching down, Frodo pulled Boromir's face back up to his and placed a gentle kiss on his brow. "I forgave you long ago, Boromir. All is forgiven and forgotten. I am so happy to see that you and Faramir are together again. He was so heart broken when he learned of your death."

Rising to his feet, Boromir placed his arm protectively on his brother's shoulder.

"I am glad Mandos allowed you both to be together again. Is-is your father here? I mean, in the Halls of Light?"

Boromir frowned while Faramir sadly looked away. "No, not yet. Perhaps someday. He is still being purified and must stand final judgment with Mandos when it is completed."

Frodo sadly touched Faramir's hand, seeing the Prince shaking slightly.

"In a few days time, I will return to the Halls of Mandos and will speak to him personally on both your behalfs. Although I never met him, I know deep in my heart that he once was a true nobleman and loved his sons...both of them, dearly. It was Sauron's evil that caused his downfall and madness. Do not give up hope. I will beseech Gandalf to help as well."

Faramir finally faced Frodo tearfully but filled with hope. "Thank you, Frodo. As always, you have shown your quality... the very highest."

Frodo smiled and then shrugged. "Now I must go, I will see you both later, for now I am on a great quest. I am still searching for Sam...." Moving away from them and from his children, Frodo looked all around, wondering where his Sam could be.

Two figures in the distance appeared in a large field and for a moment Frodo thought his eyes were deceiving him. But they were not. A moment later, Frodo started to run.

"Sam! Sam! Aragorn!" Frodo couldn't believe his eyes -- a young Samwise Gamgee, dressed in his Shire gardening clothes, stood waving at him and by his side, dressed in kingly finery, was Aragorn as he had last seen him in Minas Tirith.

"Frodo!" What seemed like forever and a day later, Frodo finally reached the two he loved most in all the world and was swept up into their loving embrace.

"Frodo, Frodo you have come at last!"

Frodo kissed Sam and Aragorn repeatedly, as they each tried to kiss him equally in return. Pressed against them, Frodo refused to remove his tight grip on them and laughed and wept in overwhelming bliss.

"Yes, I will never leave you both again, never ever!"




Aragorn led Frodo into a large cottage by the river and while Sam allowed Aragorn to show Frodo their new home, he made his pardon at the doorway.

"Sam, where are you going!" Frodo tried to grab Sam's arm, only for the gardener to wiggle free.

"Now, now, Mr. Frodo, I'm not going far. Its that I just got here and I want to spend a little time with my Gaffer and of course, my ma. I'll be back later tonight and we'll talk some more. Besides, I want you to have some time alone with Aragorn. Its been almost two hundred years since you last saw each other. Besides there are the children I wish to see too."

Seeing Frodo's still sad face, he grinned and kissed him softly on the lips. "Stop fretting so, you still think too much. We have forever now. All the time in the world to be together. Now Aragorn, you know I don't have to say it, right?" Sam shot Aragorn a hard look.

Aragorn crossed his hand over his heart and bowed. "By my life or death, I will look after our treasure while you are away."

Laughing again, Sam kissed Frodo once more and made his way towards the door. Glancing out, he nodded. "Yes, this will do nicely, Aragorn. A garden in the front will make it look perfect...I'll get started on that first thing tomorrow." With a final wave, Sam headed out on his own quest to be reunited with his family.

Alone, Frodo turned to see that Aragorn had vanished.

"Aragorn? Aragorn!"

"Up here, little love."

Hearing his voice, Frodo hurried towards the stairs and climbing up them, he glanced down a long hallway, puzzled.

"Aragorn?"

"Here, Frodo."

Reaching the first door, Frodo opened it and found quite a lovely package awaiting him. Inside was a huge bed covered in quilts and blankets and big, fluffy, feather pillows. And upon the bed, lying resplendently naked, was Aragorn.

Frodo raised an eyebrow.

"Well, are you just going to stand there all day...or shall I have to drag you in?"

Smiling with a bit of a mischievous grin on his face, Frodo stepped in and closed the door behind himself.




(A long time later)

Frodo rolled back against the pillows, taking several long deep breaths before speaking. "Oh! I forgot how wonderful making love to you was. In fact, I think this was the best by far...I actually saw fireworks."

"Really?"

"I never had several, ahm, climaxes in a row before...oh...."

"Thank you. I do aim to please."

Frodo smiled back at the Ranger made King and reached out his hand to him. Aragorn took his hand and brought it to his lips and kissed it softly. Then releasing it, Aragorn pulled Frodo into his embrace, allowing the Hobbit to be above him. Frodo looked down and thought for sure his heart was going to burst from all this happiness. Then his eyes narrowed and for a moment Frodo allowed a dark thought to stray in his mind.

How long would it last?

Aragorn touched one of Frodo's curls and pushed it back gently. "Forever Frodo. This is to last forever. For you, for all of us. Think of it as a reward, think of it as a gift...think of it as you will, but know that it is for real. Never again will you be parted from those you love, forever will you be embraced."

Frodo closed his eyes and when they reopened, fresh tears ran silently down his face.

"Oh Frodo...Be at peace, dear heart." Kissing and stroking Frodo in his arms, Aragorn curled Frodo's head under his chin and hugged him even closer to his body. "I promise you, from this day forward, you will know only joy and laughter."

Frodo smiled and nodding, he surrendered to the embrace.




A short time later, as Frodo nuzzled against Aragorn's collar bone, a door opening from downstairs caught their attention.

"Mr. Frodo, hey, Mr. Frodo, I have a surprise for you...actually two...I found them visiting my old Gaffer....Come on down!"

Unsure what Sam was talking about, Frodo got to his feet and putting on a nearby robe that was probably Aragorn's, Frodo hurried out the door and back to the staircase.

"Sam, who is it?"

Reaching the first step, Frodo's eyes widened once more at the three forms below, two he had not seen since he was twelve years old.

Surely if his heart still beat it would have stopped at that very moment, and giving out a loud, joyful shriek, Frodo flew down the stairs and into their arms.

"Mama! Papa!"

Epilogue

Valinor

Near the eastern shore line

The two small forms were laid together in a loving embrace, above the ground and under a shady willow tree, in a casket of glass and gold. To no one's surprise, the tiny bodies never deteriorated or decomposed and always did they look beautiful in death as they had in life. Some would remark that they seemed to be asleep and would someday awaken from a much needed rest. In the years and centuries to come, many made the pilgrimage to bestow flowers and gifts to honor the Hobbits. Upon the stone, in Elvish, were words that many an Elfling child would ponder.

It read simply: "Frodo Lives. Sam, and all those who Frodo loved, are with him."