Reunion by GW Katrina

[Reviews - 1]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: Beta: Danica Greenleaf

Er, haven't done this in a while. Forgive me if I've forgotten anything. Dedicated to Danica, for making me think I'm a halfway decent writer. Part of a series that is growing in my head, so any unexplained stuff will be explained in further stories.
He hurt. Everything, his entire body, was sore.

Working past the uncomfortable stiffness, he realized he was in a bed. A nice, soft bed. Heavy blankets covered him, and something warm was wrapped around him.

Opening his eyes, wincing slightly at the bright light shining on his face, he turned his head slightly to see the body next to his. The light danced over soft curls and pale skin.

"Merry?"

His voice caught in his throat and the name came out a squeak, but large, brown eyes opened. Merry, still looking weak from his sickness, blinked sleepily. "Pip?" Suddenly, Merry seemed to realize that his lover was awake. "You're awake!" he said with a surprised smile, giving Pippin a hug.

With a nod that made his head hurt, Pippin returned the hug. "Wha' happened?" he asked, jaw popping. Why was he so sore?

"You, Peregrin Took, got yourself landed on by a troll." Merry frowned at his cousin. "Scared me half to death when they came back with you on a litter. Gimli told me you were almost buried under that filthy monster."

A troll? Why on earth was he . . . Ah, yes. "I'll have you know, Meriadoc Brandybuck," using Merry's full name. "That I killed that 'filthy monster' all by myself."

That comment earned him a soft cuff on his head. "Which was a damn fool thing to do." Merry cuddled Pippin closer. "You almost got yourself killed." Pippin could almost hear Merry say "Just like Boromir."

He blinked. "Now wait just one minute," he growled, understanding Merry's fear, but having his own bone to pick. "You can go after a Ringwraith, but I can't go after a troll?"

Looking slightly sheepish, Merry did the only thing he could to stop the diatribe before it started.

He kissed Pippin.

Now, Pippin wasn't stupid. He knew very well what Merry was trying to do, but he didn't care. He always loved to kiss his lover, always had, ever since Merry had turned thirty and they had kissed, really kissed, for the first time.

Merry's lips had been sweet then, and they were just as sweet now. Sweeter, even,because they had almost lost each other several times.


Sadly, neither of them had the energy to go much further than that, even though both wanted to. Merry was still suffering from the wound he had received form the Witch King, and Pippin was just too sore to move much at all. Happy just to be together, they both slept once more.




Less than a week later, both hobbits were almost back to normal. Still confined to the House of Healing, they watched the activity from their windows.

"It's almost like an ant nest," Pippin said, watching as humans hurried back and forth, scurrying from one thing to the next. "All activity and no relaxing. They all seem so tense."

Leaning into the circle of Pippin's arms, Merry nodded. "You must remember, Pip, it wasn't too long ago that these people were facing off with the enemy every day."

"Wasn't that long for us, either, if I must remind you." Pippin wrinkled his nose. "I hope I never see another orc as long as I live."

The cousins fell silent. "I miss him." A simple statement, but Merry's voice carried as much sorrow as Pippin's heart did. "It's not fair that we should find him and then lose him so quickly." Memories crept through their minds, of their human lover being hit by the thick orc arrows as he fought to protect them.

"I miss him, too," sighed Pippin, eyes filling with tears. "I miss them all." After the fall of Sauron and the scattering of his army, Aragorn had sent out scouts to search for Frodo and Sam. Gandalf had gone with the eagles for the same reason, but none had seen any sign of the Ringbearer or his companion except for a thin chain at the foot of Mt. Doom.

Merry took Pippin's hand in his own. "Did they also die on this awful adventure, or did they survive? If they survived, where are they? Why didn't they come here?"

"So many questions, but we haven't any answers, cousin-mine," Pippin said softly.

Before either could say more, there was a soft knock on the door. A page stepped in and bowed to them when Pippin called for the visitor to enter. "Sir Took, Master Brandybuck, his Majesty requests that you don your colors and join him on the outer wall, above the main gate."

"All right, Jossin," Pippin told him, rising to his feet and pulling Merry up as well. "Tell his Majesty that we will be there in a few minutes." Jossin bowed and vanished, pulling the door shut behind him.

Stifling the laugh that wanted to burst out at the expression on Pippin's face, Merry leaned over and kissed his lover. "It's still difficult to believe, isn't it? Both of us, two little hobbits from the Shire, knights of two rather significant kingdoms." He leered at Pippin. "Remind me sometime to tell you about my dream that involved you, your armor, and my stripping you of it."

Stealing a kiss from Merry, Pippin pulled back. "If we start that now, we'll never get there, and I'm sure Aragorn will track us down and drag us up there himself if we don't?"

Both hobbits laughed and moved for the stands holding their colors.




Soon, Merry and Pippin had joined Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli on the wall surrounding Gondor.

Glancing at the two hobbits as they joined Gimli on the ledge that was for archers to kneel on, Aragorn smiled. "No armor today, little ones?" he asked, seeing the pair in the dress colors they had been given by him and Eomer.

Running his hand down the silk and fine linen, Merry grinned at the former Ranger. "Jossin only said colors. We assumed that if you had meant armor, you would have said armor."

"Besides," Pippin said with a smile. "We deserve something nice once in a while."

No one could disagree with him there. It had been far too long since any of them had worn anything that was of fine material. Mostly it had been rough cloth, or armor and padding. Not the most comfortable things in the world.

"That you do," laughed Aragorn. "I think all of us could use a little more comfort in our lives."

Merry and Pippin nodded vigorously. "Most assuredly," Merry agreed.

Legolas, who had smiled at the laughter but kept his eyes on the horizon, now let loose his own laugh. "They come."

"Who?" asked Merry, Pippin, and Gimli at the same time. Seemed like no one except Aragorn and Legolas knew what was going on. All three of the shorter people leaned forward. While their eyes weren't as sharp as those who had elven blood in their veins, the hobbits still had very good eyesight. Thus, they saw the glimmering of silver long before Gimli.

"Horses and riders," said Pippin, eyes narrowed.

"Those first ones look like . . . They're from Rivendell," Merry added with surprise.

Indeed, when they drew close enough, even Gimli could see that the first group of riders was from the elven city where the Fellowship had been formed. In front rode the twin sons of Elrond, Elrohir and Elladan, bearing a silver banner and being followed by all from Rivendell. Beside them rode Glorfindel, who Merry and Pippin remembered fondly.

"Behind them are Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn." The leaders of Lothlorien rode on horses of a blinding white, followed by many of their people, who were clothed in grey and white. Those elves shone so bright that those with good vision soon had to look away or be blinded. Instead, they focused on the next group of riders.

These were elves that were unfamiliar to Merry, Pippin, and Gimli. "More elves," growled the dwarf, who ducked the swipe aimed at his head by Legolas.

Merry looked at Aragorn. "Who are they, Aragorn? I do not recognize any of them."

It was Legolas who answered the question. "That is my father, King Thranduil, and members of our household." As they drew closer, the hobbits and dwarf could pick out various details of the new elf. He rode with the same arrogance as all the elves, only one could feel it much more clearly off of him.

This was one elf who knew he was better than any other, and was not going to be dissuaded from it.

He and his party rode on grey steeds, clothed in cloaks of various greens. His own was the shade of emeralds, and around his neck were the gems themselves, the most colorful and brilliant stones that could be mined by the dwarves.

Leaning close to the others, Legolas warned them about his father. "He has a sharp temper when he wants, and he still has very little love of other races. Hobbits, however," he winked at Pippin and Merry. "May be among his more favored. Still, step lightly."

The last of the riders drew within range, and everyone was pleased to see Elrond, Master of Rivendell, and his daughter, Arwen Evenstar. With them rode a third, cloaked in white with the hood pulled up.

It was this grand procession that rode through the main gates of Minas Tirith, who Aragorn, followed by the others of the Fellowship, went down to meet.

First to come to greet the new king were Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn. "We, the elves of Lothlorien, are pleased to greet the new King of Gondor." Celeborn tilted his head, showing his equal standing with Aragorn.

Lady Galadriel did the same. Her strange eyes looked at the Fellowship with just a touch of humor. "Gandalf rose from the shadows, yet you seem to have lost him once more, King Elessar."

"He has gone to seek the Ringbearer and his companion again, Lady Galadriel. He shall return before nightfall unless he finds something some trace of their fate?" Aragorn's face showed some of his pain.

Gently touching the new king's shoulder, Galadriel smiled. "Now is not the time for pain. Now is a time of celebration. The darkness has been faced and defeated. Take joy in the life that surrounds you."

"Agreed. I will take your advice, Lady."

Galadriel only smiled again and stepped away. In her place moved Thranduil.

This elf looked down his nose at Aragorn. Merry and Pippin decided they didn't like him. They looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Hidden behind the others, they were safe from detection. "Think Legolas takes after his mother?" Pippin mouthed at Merry.

Merry nodded. "Must have," he mouthed back.

Both their attentions were caught when Thranduil all but stalked away, standing apart from the other elves.

Now Lord Elrond and Arwen stood in front of Aragorn. The stranger who had rode with them was gone. "Greetings, King Elessar," Elrond said, giving Aragorn the same treatment as Celeborn had. It still seemed odd to the hobbits that Aragorn had to change his name to be king.

There was a little small talk before the leaders of the various elf kingdoms stepped forward once more, each standing next to Aragorn and Legolas. Merry and Pippin caught the pleased and happy look that Aragorn, Legolas, and Arwen shared as the others moved forward. Looking at the people who surrounded them, Elrond was the first to speak.

"We come today to announce a new beginning between the races of elves and men. Today, three elven kingdoms and a human kingdom will be united under treaty."

Galadriel moved forward and took up the announcement, her voice ringing across the courtyard. "We come to announce the betrothal of Arwen of Rivendell, Elessar of Gondor, and Legolas of Mirkwood. They shall be wed together and bring peace throughout the lands."

"By the sharing of blood we shall grow together, and with new allies we shall grow stronger," continued Thranduil. "All conditions have been met, and our people shall become one once again."

"People of Gondor, people of Rivendell, people of Mirkwood, rejoice. Your leaders have found love and will not lose it. Rejoice, your leaders will be wed, and the bloodlines of all three will grow stronger!"

When Aragorn stopped speaking, the people in the courtyard, elves and humans both, began to cheer. Even Thranduil smiled slightly.

The leaders of the elven communities stepped up first to offer their congratulations. "My dearest granddaughter, I hope you will find greater happiness than what you know even here," Galadriel said, hugging Arwen to her.

Celeborn kissed her hand and glared at Legolas and Aragorn. He moved over to them. Merry and Pippin were close enough that they could hear what he said. "You hurt her, and I will personally return it upon you a hundredfold.

Smiling the entire time he said this, the ancient elf left both males squirming slightly.

Next came Elrond, who hugged his daughter, and, amazingly, gave almost the exact same threat to Legolas and Aragorn. The hobbits had to hold in their giggles. Both of the males had a stunned look. Arwen covered her smile with her hand

Tharnduil came up next. He bowed politely to Arwen, and nodded at Aragorn. It surprised the others when he pulled Legolas into a hug. "I don't hold much with humans, but if he makes you happy, I am pleased," he told his son. Then he turned to Aragorn. "Hurt him and die." He strolled off.

With a comical look on his face, Aragorn looked at Pippin, Merry, and Gimli. "Did any of you understand that?" Knowing enough to know they didn't want to answer that truthfully, all three shook their heads no.

"Master Pippin, Master Merry, a moment of your time?"

Surprised to be called aside by Arwen, both hobbits moved over to her. Aragorn nor Legolas noticed them leaving. Both were dealing with well-wishers. "Yes, Lady?" asked Pippin.

Smiling at them both, Arwen crouched until she was at their eye level.

"Father and I brought a guest with us that would like to see both of you." Seeing their exchanged looks, she smiled mysteriously. "Please, I ask you to meet with him. He is staying at the House of Healing." Her large blue eyes bore down upon them until both agreed. "Good. You should not be needed for a while, and I know that my new mates said both of you have been injured. Go, meet my guest and rest."

Merry and Pippin moved away quickly. They made their way to the House of Healing, grumbling about pushy elves. Only a few buildings away, Merry paused. "Whom do you think it is, Pip?"

Pippin shrugged. "Don't know. Don't know why Lady Arwen was so determined to have us meet him. It was like seeing Diamond and Gothro going after the same girl. Too determined to back down."

Nodding in agreement, Merry sighed. "I guess there's no choice but to meet this stranger." He yawned. "Then take a nap."

Still worried about his cousin's health, Pippin started forward. "Let's go. The sooner we meet this stranger, the sooner we can rest." Both started back to the House.

It was eeriely quietin the House. There were no others in this wing besides the hobbits. All others had since moved to their normal dwellings, the main building, or quarters provided for them. Merry and Pippin were just as comfortable in the House, more so since so much was designed for people who could not walk, thus everything was low to the ground. Almost hobbit-sized.

After asking a healer, they headed for the stranger's room. Moving silently, as only hobbits could, they were soon at the door. Cautiously, they peered in.

On the bed laid a man. He lay on his side, away from the door, dressed in white cloth that elves favored for healing. It was the same clothing that Frodo had worn while he healed from the Morgul blade. There was something familiar about the man. Merry was the first to figure it out.

"Bor . . . Boromir?" The hope was clear in his voice. Pippin's eyes widened, and he prayed that Merry was right.

The man turned painfully, and the two hobbits looked into the face of the man they thought lost forever. "Merry, Pippin, I am sorry." The look of pain in his eyes broke through their frozen shock, and the pair ran to the bed and threw themselves at him.

"We thought you were dead!" wailed Pippin, tears running down his face as he hugged Boromir with all his strength. On the other side was Merry, who reached trembling fingers to gently touch the man's face.

"You were hurt so badly. We thought you dead already. Then the orcs took us, and when the others found us, they told us they told us they had sent your body over the falls?" Merry sobbed, fingers tracing the lines of Boromir's face. "There was no chance of you coming back. We mourned you afterwards, but. . . "

"We gave up all hope," whispered Pippin, burrowing his face into Boromir's neck.

"Oh, my sweet little ones. I do not know what happened after you were taken. I spoke to Aragorn, then all went dark. I did not awaken until much later. I was healed by a woman named Este.

She kept me at her place of healing until I was strong enough, then took me to Rivendell." He paused to hug his lovers, both of who were still sobbing. Tears of his own ran down the strong face.

"I am so sorry to have put you through this, all of it. I was still very weak when Elrond took me into his care. Else I would have searched for you. Only the fact that Este told me you were still alive and safe kept me from doing so anyway. " Boromir stopped and coughed, a deep, racking sound.

Instantly he had two concerned nursemaids. "What's wrong?" cried Pippin.

Merry asked, "Can we get you anything?"

"Water," gasped Boromir, and soon had a glass of cool water at his lips. Merry was very careful to not tip the glass too fast. Once he had drained the glass, Boromir laid back, face pale. "Do not worry, Merry, Pippin. It is only that I am still not fully healed. The arrows did damage to my bones as well as my flesh."

Merry frowned. "And you were riding a horse," he accused. "Even I know that riding a horse is hard on injured ribs, and I know for a fact you are acting like your ribs hurt."

"How could you do such a foolish thing?" Pippin said, narrowed-eyed, sitting cross-armed next to Boromir. "You could have done worse damage that what's happen already."

Boromir chuckled. "Neither of you can lecture me," he said. "For I have already heard of your stories. A troll and a Ringwraith. Both of you were injured, and, from what I understand, neither of you is fully healed."

Trading glances, both hobbits focused their frowns on Boromir once again. "That's different," they said at the same time.

Boromir laughed once more, pulling Pippin and Merry into his arms. "I do not wish to argue, for I am still very tired." At the word "tired" Merry yawned. "As are you, I am sure. Will you sleep with me for a little while? We all could use the rest."

Pippin snorted. "As if you could drive us away," he said, diving under the covers. Merry followed, and soon, all three were asleep, piled together once more, content to feel their lovers' heartbeats and warmth.

Once again, the world was bright for the lovers.




"So Boromir is alive."

Elrond nodded, his eyes on Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf, who had only just returned. Aragorn had accepted with relief and wonder the news of Boromir's return to life.

"Alive and recovering. It would have been a far different story if the Lady Este had not taken such an interest. Though why a Valar would care about a mortal's life is far past my understanding."

"The way's of the Valar are best left alone, my old friend," Gandalf said. "Though this news of Boromir is joyful indeed. It makes me wonder about Sam and Frodo, though. Twice now, it has seemed as if one of the Fellowship has fallen, yet twice they've reappeared, alive and whole. I hope that this holds true with our missing companions as well."

The others nodded, and the group broke apart, each going their separate way. Gandalf, Galadriel, and Elrond moved out to a nearby balcony.

"It is good to see you, Gandalf," said Galadriel. "We were greatly saddened by false news of your death while the company was in Lothlorien. But for now, I have something of greater importance to speak of."

Elrond and Galdalf nodded. "You wish to speak of the Rings of Power, do you not?" Elrond asked. "For I know I do. The One Ring is destroyed, yet my ring holds all of its power."

"As does mine, and I am certain Galadriel's does as well," Gandalf replied. The pale-haired elf nodded, her eyes wary. "There is a simple reason for that," Gandalf continued, his blue eyes staring in the direction of Mt. Doom.

"The One Ring has been destroyed, but its power is still tied to this plane of existence. Its power and the power of Sauron."

"Then it is not over," said Elrond, his eyes following Gandalf's.

"It has only begun," finished Galadriel.

The bearers of the three Elven Rings watched as smoke drifted from the direction of Mr. Doom.