On First Sight by Undomiel

Early morning light filtered through the window, dancing in the long blonde hair of the peacefully sleeping form on the bed. Feeling a light tickling sensation on the tip of his nose, Rúmil of Lórien turned around to escape the annoying sensation created by the questing sunrays. But the morning was not to be denied, and after enduring some more tickling on his back, the elf finally gave in.

Turning on his back with a heavy sigh escaping his lips, Rúmil then attempted to scowl at the, in his opinion, much too cheerful sun shining into his room. He felt exhausted after a restless night full of tossing and turning. His mind unable to find the rest his body craved so desperately. Only when the darkness had started to fade away had his thoughts finally settled down, allowing him a few hours of much needed sleep.

But even in sleep he could not escape the memory of gentle brown eyes and shining, red-brown hair surrounding a beautiful face...

Rúmil sat up suddenly and shook his head, trying to make the offending thoughts disappear. What had happened yesterday? What was it about this young man he had never met before, whose name he did not know, and who evoked feelings inside him he had never experienced until now?

Whenever he thought about the encounter the day before, he had a strange feeling in his stomach. As if dozens of small winged creatures were playing hide and seek in there. A sudden thought struck Rúmil. Maybe it was not the man who was the cause of these feelings. Maybe he was ill. Perhaps he was suffering from a strange illness unknown to his people.

But even as he started to seriously consider this idea, he knew deep in his heart that it was untrue. No illness occurred only when one thought about someone or something. A frustrated sigh escaped Rúmil's lips, and he fell beck on the bed, passing a hand over his face.

After a few minutes he finally sat up again and pulled on some fresh clothes, trying not to think about the new sensations inside him. They frightened him, and he had never been good at dealing with matters that scared him. As he set out to find something that could serve him as breakfast, he decided to ignore the feeling in his stomach for the time being.




At the same time, in the gardens of the houses of healing, Faramir wandered around aimlessly and deep in thought. He had left his bed early this morning after getting only little sleep. During the night the scene in the gardens had replayed itself in this mind again and again. Like it did now.

He remembered the way the last rays of the sun had touched the long silvery hair of the elf, creating shimmering golden highlights. And how the soft evening breeze had gently played with the silken strands. Like the hands of a lover gently threading his fingers through it. He recalled the slender, yet muscular body, enclosed in well fitting clothing. The elegant, long fingered hands softly caressing the rose. How would they feel on his skin? The full lips, how would they feel on his? The strong body pressed against him, writhing in ecstasy. The long, elegant neck arched back, long hair surrounding both of them. Beautiful blue eyes glazed with passion...

Abruptly Faramir jerked out of his musings, panting heavily. Although it was still slightly cool outside, he felt hot, as if he was burning from within. Burning from a warmth that spread out from his heart, filling his entire body with a pleasant tingling sensation. And finally settling low in his belly.

Be blushed as he became aware of the nature of the feeling, and realized what exactly he had imagined. To this day he had met several people he considered attractive. But he had never acted on such feelings. And never before had these emotions been as incredibly intense as they were now. And he certainly had never pictured the things he did now. He was actually a little frightened by his own reaction. He felt out of control and slightly helpless.

Shaking his head, he took a deep breath. He had only met this elf once, and only for a few minutes. They had not even spoken to one another. He knew nothing about him. No, that was not entirely true. A smile formed on his lips as he recalled this morning's conversation with a young healer.

He had desperately wanted to know more about the divine creature he had encountered the day before. Fortunately, on his way outside, he had met a young healer. He remembered her talking to another healer about the two elves that had arrived to meet the one who was with Lady …owyn. Recognizing his chance, he had stopped her.

She had willingly told him what she knew. That the two other elves were obviously the brothers of the Lady's companion, Haldir. The older of the two, Orophin was his name, spent most of his time with his brother and …owyn. So she had assumed that the one wandering the gardens last evening had to be the youngest of the three, Rúmil.

"Rúmil," Faramir closed his eyes as he softly whispered the name. It sounded like heaven to him. Like happiness. "Rúmil," he whispered again, and a sweet ache started in his chest, and spread out throughout his body. Smiling dreamily, he opened his eyes again - and froze.

He had unseeingly walked back to exactly the same place where he had been yesterday evening, where he had first laid eyes on Rúmil. And now, right beside the rosebush, he stood again. Faramir briefly closed his eyes, shaking his head. Maybe this was an illusion, made up by his yearning mind.

But as he opened them again, the elf was still there, and to Faramir he seemed even more beautiful than before. He stood absolutely still, not moving one muscle, and looking at Faramir with a very intense expression on his face. His eyes, however, showed something different. They looked as if a storm was gathering in them, full of emotion and confusion and fear.

For a moment they just looked at each other, both unable to react in any way. Then Rúmil suddenly broke the stare, and turned around as if to escape again, like he did the day before. Faramir, being gripped by a sense of deja vu, was abruptly jolted out of his motionlessness. Just as the elf was starting to walk away, he ran forward, calling out to him.

"Rúmil, please wait."