A Rope to Hang Himself by Kathryn Ramage

Sam spent three days visiting towns and villages on the southwestern borders of the Shire, asking after Malbo Glossum. He stopped for one pleasant afternoon at Greenholm to visit his Aunt Lula, who had returned to her home after Marigold's wedding last summer, and brought her the family news. When he returned to Gamwich, he was greeted warmly by Mr. Bloomer. "I'm glad you're back, Mr. Gamgee. Mr. Baggins has been in a most peculiar state since you left."

"Has he?" asked Sam with a pang of alarm. "He's not ill, is he?"

"Not 'ill,' as to say. Odd. The last time he was out, the day you went off, he came back all mussed up with a lump on his head. Since then, he's spent most of the day a-sitting in his room, smoking his pipe, and don't even come out for meals. Maisie's been bringing his breakfasts and dinners to him on trays, but he hardly eats a bite."

"Oh." Sam didn't like the sound of Frodo having been in a fight, but he knew what Frodo's smoking and sitting alone meant. "He's just thinking. He an't like other hobbits, Mr. Bloomer. He's that clever."

"Is that it?" The innkeeper was doubtful that anyone could spend so much time and effort on thought. "Well, if you say so, Mr. Gamgee. You know him best. I must say, it's been a worry to me, though it's just as well he doesn't come out to the taproom of an evening. Since he went over to the Applegroves to speak to Miss Petula and upset them all something terrible--and he's upset my Maisie too--well... it'd only raise a worse ruckus if he was to come out and start asking folk more questions again! I know as he's this famous detective and he's been brought here special to find out who hung that Malbo, but it hasn't been easy on any one of us to have him about. Oh, and your brother was here last night, asking if you was back yet and he went to have a word with Mr. Baggins, though I can't say as he came out looking happy about it."

Sam thanked the innkeeper and went to the door of the room he and Frodo shared. Even before he was close enough to tap on it, he could smell the strong scent of pipeweed wafting around the edges. "Frodo, are you in there?"

The door opened, and Frodo came out and beamed at him cheerfully. "Sam! How wonderful to see you!" He gave Sam a hug but, since Mr. Bloomer was still in sight at the end of the hallway, no kiss. "I missed you. Come in and tell me about your travels."

Sam stepped into the room, eyes stinging at the thick cloud of smoke. The first thing he did once he set down his bag was open the window as wide as it would go. "Never mind me--" he said between coughs. "What've you been up to? How'd you get that bump, and what's this about you upsetting the Applegroves? Was it one o' them hit you?"

"No, Sam. It doesn't matter. I'll tell you all about it, later."

"Who was it then?" Sam persisted. "Are you in danger, Frodo? I shouldn't've gone off and left you alone! There's a murderer running about-"

"It wasn't any murderer, Sam. They aren't the sort to go about hitting people over the head. If you must know, it was only that angry and foolish brother of Miss Flock's. But to be safe, I've shut myself up in this room for most of the time since you went away. Besides, I wanted to be by myself to think everything over." Frodo sat down in the chair near the fire, where his smoldering pipe sat propped on the wooden arm. "I've only received one visitor--your brother."

"Mr. Bloomer told me he was here yesterday," said Sam.

"Ham seems to think I should've found the murderer by now and wants to know how much longer it will be. He doesn't understand that there are..." Frodo's effervescent mood evaporated and he grew momentarily somber, "difficulties. He and your Uncle Andy have been very kind about leaving that rope up all this time, and I've assured him they won't have to bear the sight of it much longer. I've tried to play matchmaker with Ham and Miss Maisie. I told your brother that Maisie is fond of him. She was the one who told me about Petula Applegrove, you see, to try and protect him. I've given her some advice on the matter too, but she's afraid I'm laying some sort of trap for her if she admits she cares for him. Well, I've done what I can--perhaps they'll work it out between themselves after we've finished our work here and gone home."

"Are we close to finishing?" Sam asked; Frodo's behavior suggested that this was so. "Do you know who did it?"

"Yes, I think so," Frodo said promptly. "But you haven't told me what you've found, Sam."

"Not a thing! They never heard of Malbo at those Chalky places I went to--End nor Top! Nor Whitcliff either. As far as I could tell, he's never been there." Sam could see that Frodo wasn't surprised to hear this. "Did you know I wouldn't find nothing?"

"I expected you wouldn't," Frodo answered, "but I had to be sure. Now we have only to wait and see what Merry and Pippin find."