It Happens by Ezras Persian Kitty

Chapter notes: (A few days later, if that concerns you.)
The kitchens were nearly empty, but for a bubbling cauldron of stew watched over by a young Elf and his mother, who was restocking the assorted spices near the open doorway. Three counters down, Lindir stood surrounded by several bowls of dough, which he was shaping and kneading or letting rise beneath thin cloths. He had flour up to his elbows where the long sleeves of his white shirt had been rolled up, revealing wiry arms, now white with the powder. He continued the rocking motion of beating the dough and rolling it out and kneading it over and over.

"Have you never thought of traveling, Lindir? You could go to any Elvish land and be welcomed with open arms because your renown would be unmatched," Glorfindel told him, smiling.

"You flatter me," Lindir answered, unimpressed.

"Flatter? That was not my intent." Lindir ignored him as Glorfindel stared intently up at the bard from his padded stool. "I could talk myself hoarse praising you and not tell a lie. I could ask any Elf in Imladris and they would tell me none come close to your talent with harp or flute or drum. Or voice, especially voice. You ought to share your gifts with the world!"

Lindir smirked. "You sound like a mother hen shooing her chick out of the nest."

Glorfindel laughed. "Don't you want adventure?!"

"What need do I have for adventure?" Lindir argued with a smile. "Every race on Arda comes to this valley! I have met men and hobbits and dwarves and even the great eagles. I have heard tales of Mirkwood and Lorien, Lindon and Valinor. People come from the four corners of the earth to show their wares and talents. My pupils are as varied as the seasons and I would not leave the halls of my Lord for all the Silmarils in the world."

"So you let the world come to you. I see. You are a coward."

At this, Lindir finally turned to face him, a smirk still in place, those forest green eyes alight with the twinkle of the stars. His voice was low. "You call me coward?"

"Well, yes. Despite what you say, I think you fear the world. I have never even seen you leave the Valley. But you should!" Glorfindel stood from his stool, his hands waving wildly as his bright blue eyes sparkled happily. "There is a whole world out there! Sights you've only read and sung of! There are Kings in courts of silver and Queens in dresses entirely of pearls! There are dragons guarding hordes of gold and knights in shining armor who joust in the golden light of the sun to win the hand of their fair maiden! There are caves that descend for miles into the earth and mountains that disappear up into the clouds! There are forests older than this valley with trees that still speak our tongue and there are oceans whose blue waters have lapped at Arda's shores since its inception! Lindir, there might be a princess waiting for you in a high bower, waiting to be called down by the sweetness of your voice and the beauty of your music."

Lindir smiled and only said in a sly, quiet voice, "I would prefer a prince."




Elrond wearily rubbed at his brow, removing the mithril circlet to do so. "Ah, you would think this might get easier from year to year."

"Mmm."

"But all it gets is painful."

"Mmm."

Elrond set aside his carefully penned page, but didn't put down the quill for a moment as he pulled a fresh stack of lists toward him. "The guest rooms are really filling up this spring. Even some from Mirkwood have decided to come visit."

"Mmm."

"I don't doubt the twins will appear out of nowhere again. They don't really want the feast, but it is expected."

"Mmm."

He rubbed at his face again, unwittingly smearing black ink along his cheek. "Oh, I don't even want to think about it," he said, comparing two calendars. "If these are accurate and the weather forgiving, the dwarves will arrive on precisely the same day as Mirkwood's visitors." He dropped his head forward, releasing a little whine. "Oh Erestor, this is hell."

"Mmm."

Elrond sighed and finally set everything down to cradle his face in his hands a moment before looking up at the Elf sitting across from him, deeply engrossed with some sort of inventory. "Erestor, are you even listening to me?"

"Of course, my Lord. As per usual, you are overwhelmed by the spring rush, Elf/dwarf relations, the arrival of your sons, the condition of the larder, and my attention span." Erestor looked up then from his work. "I assure you, my Lord, all will be well."

Elrond smiled, lightening his beautiful features in an expression of relief. "Thank you, my friend. What would I do without you?"

Erestor again bowed his head to his work and, as always, gruffly answered, "You would manage, my Lord."




"That is all then. This meeting is adjourned."

Weary counselors, advisors, and secretaries quickly rose, gathering notes and books in bell-sleeve clad arms to sweep out of the meeting room with robes of all colors trailing behind them.

"My Lord?"

Elrond sat still in his place at the head of the table, regarding the intricately carved ceiling with a glazed expression.

"Lord Elrond? The meeting is over."

"Hm? Ah, thank you, Erestor. Yes."

"You have had a long day. Please, allow me to escort you to the kitchens for a snack, or to your rooms; I will bring you something to eat."

Elrond nodded absently and Erestor abandoned his many files to circle the table and pull out his Lord's carved chair as Elrond rose. Elrond was prepared to gather his own papers when Erestor gently grasped his arms to lead him away. "Leave your things, my Lord. All shall be cared for."

Elrond's eyelids drooped as he let his Chief Counselor lead him away.




Strolling in quiet conversation down the corridor, Glorfindel and Haldir were surprised to see the dark-haired pair moving toward them. They quietly approached the Lord and his guide. "Erestor?" Glorfindel quietly interrogated. "Is there a problem? Can I help?"

"Nothing but an overworked Peredhel. I would be most obliged if you could have some hot soup and cold water sent to the Lord's rooms."

"Certainly," Glorfindel agreed. "Haldir, do you—?"

"I shall accompany you," the Guardian assured his friend and they raced to the kitchens, ignored by Elrond, who leaned heavily on the only support available to him.

"This way," Erestor whispered, propelling the half-Elf forward again.

They moved slowly down the hall until they reached the Lord's quarters. Erestor propped him against the wall to remove a small silver key and fit it in the matching lock. He pushed tall white doors open and tenderly manhandled the taller Elf to a table beside a window overlooking a hibernating garden behind the House. As Erestor went back to shut the doors and then to the bedroom to turn down the bed, Elrond stared blankly out the window, overwhelmed by fatigue and hunger. After a moment, he fumbled half-heartedly with the opening to his deep blue robes. Seeing this, Erestor hurried over. "Allow me, my Lord." He swiftly undid the tiny mithril buttons and slid the heavy outer robe off wide shoulders to flop over the back of the chair. He carefully removed Elrond's arms from the bulky sleeves and set about removing his Lord's circlet and the chain of office about his neck, the rings on his fingers and the slippers from his feet.

"Erestor..."

"Do not speak, my Lord. You are tired. Let me care for you."

If Elrond heard these words he made no acknowledgement of them, but only remained silent.

Erestor left him to his trance-like state, moving to crouch at the hearth and bank up the embers, carefully building a fire.

Before long a quiet knock sounded and Erestor swiftly stalked over to let Glorfindel and Haldir in. Glorfindel set down a tray with two bowls of soup and a plate of fruit as Haldir placed a pitcher of water and two glasses before the Lord. Seeing that Erestor had all things in order, they turned to leave.

Erestor muttered a thank you to the retreating Elves, but spared them neither a glance nor a nod, instead sitting beside his Lord, placing before him the soup and in his hand a spoon. He waited patiently as Elrond mechanically ate whatever was set before him and drained his water glass three times.

Erestor jumped as Elrond set down the glass harder than he intended with a hollow thunk. "I think it is time to sleep, Lord."

"Work, Erestor... I have work to do..."

"I think not," Erestor argued, and Elrond did not fight as Erestor helped lift him from his seat and maneuver him to the bedroom.

Stumbling as he went, Elrond was asleep on his feet and Erestor did not hesitate to scoop the tall Lord up in two strong arms and carry him through the door to the bed and lay him with tender care upon the turned down sheets. He gently removed trousers and tunic to pull the sheets up over the sleeping half-Elf.

Erestor sat on the side of the bed, undoing the braids and loops and combing his fingers through the dark silk hair. He sadly regarded the frown on his Lord's features and quietly began to sing. It was an old song, a children's lullaby full of nonsense words. He rubbed at Elrond's temples and sang the slow old song until all signs of weariness vanished from the sleeping features.




When Erestor finally emerged from the Lord's chambers, closing the door and locking it silently behind him, he was surprised to find two gold-haired Elves waiting for him. "Lord Glorfindel. What can I do for you?"

Glorfindel amiably flung an arm about Erestor's shoulders. Being nearly a head taller than the Counselor, it was quite comfortable, though he had learned long ago not to mention the grumpy Elf's height. "You can tell me, Counselor Erestor, just what you are doing."

"Doing?" he echoed, confused for a moment as Glorfindel began steering him down the hallway, trailed by an interested Haldir. "I must collect the notes from the meeting chamber," he begged, pointing in the opposite direction and trying to wiggle out from Glorfindel's grasp. "I know I must check on the kitchens because there's been some concern about the sowing of the wheat this spring, and then there are several duty rosters I have to post in the stables – there's a changeover coming up you know – and I must consult with Lindir about the upcoming festival, especially with a host from Mirkwood arriving – they must not be neglected – not to mention the anniversary of Elrond's unofficial crowning; he hates it but it is expected, and—"

"And you imagine to do all this tonight?" Glorfindel happily interrupted. "When you yourself haven't slept in the Valar-know-how-long? You look after our Lord, I know, but who looks after you? Even you, Erestor, cannot go without food and sleep. Don't give me that look, and don't even try to tell me you've eaten anything today; I've been watching you, you know. So, we're going to make sure you eat and sleep. We'll lock you in your rooms and barricade the door if we have to; isn't that right, Haldir?"

"Quite so."

"Yes. So, you see, my friend, you really don't have a choice."

"Glorfindel, let me go."

"No!" Glorfindel laughingly denied.

Erestor let out a long-suffering sigh before deftly turning out and under from Glorfindel's arm. "I will not let you disrupt my duties or the workings of this realm, Lord. Your concern is... touching, but unneeded. Good night." He turned and walked away.

Haldir and Glorfindel sadly watched the Elf, slumped over with weariness and loneliness, stride down the darkening hall.

"Some intervention," Haldir murmured.

"Mm," Glorfindel agreed distractedly. "I expected nothing less. Erestor will never put himself before anything or anyone else, especially his realm. Especially his Lord." Glorfindel shook his head and he, too, walked away.

Haldir watched all this with concerned interest. And followed after his friend.




They sat together in the kitchens. It was late, and the yellow candlelight wavered in a happy dance in the friendly atmosphere of smooth-sanded low wooden beams of yellowish hue with creamy ceiling between them painted with gold, green, and brown vines and leaves.

Haldir had finished his bit of bread and honey, and watched with growing concern as Glorfindel picked irritably at his food, barely eating. "You are troubled."

"That's an understatement."

Haldir sighed. "There is little you can do to help him if he refuses to be helped."

"I know you are right, but his solitude worries me."

"Solitude?" Haldir questioned. "He is ever at Elrond's side, in the thick of things with meetings and consultations and all manner of duties."

"And where is he now?" Glorfindel asked. "Hidden away in his rooms with nothing but an ill-tempered old cat for company or in the dusty libraries with no company at all."

"Actually," Haldir corrected, "he's standing right behind you."

Glorfindel turned to glare up at the dark-haired Elf. "Would you stop that?! You ought to make noise when you walk!"

Erestor lifted an eyebrow. "And stomp about the place with no regard whatever for those about me, as you do? Or perhaps I ought to wear a little bell to announce my comings and goings."

"That would be an improvement," Glorfindel agreed, gesturing to the empty seat between Haldir and himself.

Regarding the seat with some trepidation, Erestor eventually pulled out the chair to sit down primly at the sturdy old table, scarred by age. Haldir pushed the plate of bread toward him as Glorfindel poured him a glass of wine.

Erestor dined silently, ignoring that fact that the other two were watching him like hawks. When he'd consumed a large amount of food in surprisingly short time, he turned to Glorfindel. "I do not hide in my rooms. I work there so that I am not constantly interrupted by the likes of you, Lord Glorfindel. And the libraries are more conducive to study at night, when they are not filled with curious visitors and young students who do not want to be there."

"Excuses..." Glorfindel uttered in a singsong voice. "So you spend your days working and your nights working and when, precisely, do you sleep?"

"When I can."

"Mmm."