It Happens by Ezras Persian Kitty

"I've done it!" Glorfindel crowed after knocking and entering Haldir's rooms.

The Guardian's room had been cleaned and his few effects cleared away. The bed was made and the closet emptied of the smattering of clothes.

Glorfindel turned wide blue eyes to his friend. "What is this?"

Haldir looked up from his saddlebags. "I must return. I've outstayed my welcome in Imladris. They will have need of me in the Golden Wood, just as they will have need of you here."

"You are not known for speaking in riddles, Haldir."

Haldir turned back to stowing things away in the leather satchels. "Elrond has been contacted by my Lady. The time soon comes, but for what I do not know. She had a message for me, though."

"Oh?"

"Aye. I must make a decision."

"In regards to what?"

"I know not; I know only that one way lies duty."

"Well, we all know which you will choose," Glorfindel said with a fond smile, fists on his hips.

Haldir turned to him, hazel eyes clear and open. "Yes. But with duty comes death."

"What?" Glorfindel strode forward, grabbing his friend's shoulders and turning him so that they faced one another. "Then Haldir, you cannot do this, whatever it is!"

"I must."

Glorfindel bowed his head, resting his forehead on Haldir's grey-clad breast, over his heart.

Haldir stared into the distance over Glorfindel's shoulder. They stood in resounding silence until Haldir brought a hesitant hand up to his comrade's bicep. "I have already made my choice. It was made long ago, when I pledged myself to my Lord and Lady, to you before them, to Ecthelion before you, and to our people above all."

Glorfindel looked up, astonished to find those familiar eyes no longer their greenish brown, but a pale, pale grey. Even as tears adorned his face, Glorfindel placed his lips against Haldir's. "I wish it were not so."

"But it is," Haldir told him. "It is done."




Erestor knocked and when Elrond muttered admittance, he slunk into the cluttered office. He looked around the place, shaking his dark head. "I shall have to organize your things again, my Lord. You are far too disordered."

When Elrond's usual reply of 'I'm not messy, I'm creative' was not forthcoming, Erestor looked up to see his Lord staring at him with panicked grey eyes.

"Lord Elrond, are you quite well?"

"Oh. Yes. Quite." He blinked. "What?"

Erestor lifted a fine eyebrow and placed a small pile of books he had brought from the library. "These are all you asked for. I do not see why you insist on keeping your office here, when you could be that much closer to the library in the north wing."

"I like the sun," Elrond replied thoughtlessly with a glance to the southern wall, which was a series of arched windows.

Erestor sat down in the seat Glorfindel had vacated an hour earlier. He meticulously restacked all the books within reach and ordered the various papers and pens littering his half of the desk.

This was at least a monthly occurrence and Erestor slowed his hands until he stopped his movements altogether, looking up at Elrond from beneath dark eyebrows, a near empty inkwell in long fingers hovering in the air. The half-Elven Lord was watching him with rapt attention. "Elrond? Sire? Have you eaten anything today?"

"Of course."

"Mm," Erestor responded, disbelieving. He placed the inkwell in line with several others and began to stand. "Maybe I'll just run to the kitchens and see what I can find for you."

"No!"

"My Lord?"

Elrond was still regarding him with curiously wide eyes. "No. Why don't we have dinner together later?"

"All right," Erestor responded, settling back into the chair he had half-risen from.

"In my rooms," Elrond clarified. His voice shook. "Privately."

Erestor looked at him.




Haldir met Calanna in the courtyard he had arrived in, wearing his black and grey uniform. She led his stallion to him and they said respectful farewells before she returned to her duties and Haldir carefully inspected the mount, whispering to him quietly.

He waited only moments before the doors opened and Glorfindel and Lindir rushed out to meet him. Lindir embraced him and smiled and stepped back in a quick farewell.

Glorfindel approached more slowly, concealing something behind his back. "I have something for you, my friend," he greeted Haldir soberly.

Haldir sighed. "And what are you burdening me with now? I do have some ride ahead of me yet." He smiled dismally.

"Just this," and Glorfindel withdrew his fabulous red cloak, carefully sewn with delicate gold stitching. He let it unfold to sway in the gentle breeze, "a brilliant standard for a brilliant Guardian."

Haldir stood in shock as Glorfindel wrapped the thing around him, deftly pinning it in place at his right shoulder. "There," said the old Lord. "A garment fit for a Captain."

"Captain?" Haldir marveled, gingerly taking the hem of the crimson cloak in his fingers.

"Aye," Glorfindel attested. "A Captain you shall be, I know it."

They regarded each other a moment in silence. Glorfindel then grabbed him up in a hug, whispering into a pointed ear words only Haldir could hear. "Thank you, my friend," he said. "Thank you, my brother." He pulled back to look into Haldir's cool grey eyes. "Farewell."

Haldir nodded and stepped back, pulling out of Glorfindel's hold. He jumped upon the horse's back and pulled the stallion about, the great cape flaring out majestically behind him. "Farewell, Lindir. Glorfindel."

He wheeled the giant horse toward the gate and galloped away into the greening forest without a backward glance.




Erestor found himself speechless, staring at his Lord. The emotions whirled through him like some sort of ever tumbling avalanche, and he realized too late that every single one of them was probably quite evident in his wide, dark gaze.

When the Chief Counselor attempted speech, the sounds came tripping out unintelligibly. He cleared his throat weakly and tried again. "I would like that. Very much."

"Good," Elrond answered, launching himself across the desk, oblivious of flying books and overturned ink pots to grasp Erestor and pull him into a deep profession of love that resembled something like a kiss. He pulled back to stare deeply into chocolate brown eyes. "Good."