Friends are Forever by Carhuine Malthenel

I felt as if I was falling, tumbling but to where I do not know. As I fell I heard words dancing around me. "Hold on Legolas."

I landed completely shrouded in darkness. I was alone or so I thought. I saw her coming towards me and she was beautiful. I knew it was Elbereth and I was in awe. She came closer to me and I saw that she looked like Arwen. She looked at me and spoke, not with her mouth but I could hear the words just the same.

Welcome Legolas youngest Prince of Mirkwood

"Where am I?"

You are between here and there.

"Here and there?" I wondered aloud.

Life and death. Middle Earth and Mandos's Halls

"Are you Elbereth?"

Yes.

"Why do you look like Arwen daughter of Lord Elrond?" the words left my mouth before I could stop them.

I assume the guise of a friend, or a loved one. Many find it comforting. I was inexplicably humbled by those words. "Will I die?"

Perhaps, perhaps not. You must make a choice Legolas.

"What choice?"

The Lady pointed behind me and I turned to see why. I saw the darkness ripple and distort. Suddenly there was a mirror standing there. It was like Galadriel's mirror in every way.

Come look in the mirror.

I walked over and stood next to her as I gazed into the mirror. I saw myself and Aragorn fighting the orcs. I saw myself get hit again and again by arrows. I heard Aragorn's tortured cry, I saw him fight to get to me. The image changed I saw Lord Elrond bandaging me, praying for me. I saw Aragorn standing outside crying, he was no doubt tormenting himself. He probably thought he let me down. As the final image came into view I gasped. What I saw shook me to the very core. I was transfixed by the images and they gave me hope. Suddenly the mirror was empty, devoid of images. The Lady turned to me.

You must choose. You can go back and take a chance. If you go back there is no guarantee you will live. You may still die. Or you can stay here and I will take you to Mandos's Halls.

"If I go back and die will Mandos's Halls be denied me?" I shook at the very thought.

The Lady smiled and said No. Mandos will always be open to you. You have done more good then you know. Should you die I will be here to lead you to Mandos.

I smiled my path was clear " I wish to go back. I care not if I die. I want a fighting chance to live, to love." I finished softly.

The Lady smiled brighter So be it Legolas Greenleaf. pointing to the mirror.

I looked and saw one final image as I watched it I smiled. I saw myself kissing Aragorn, holding him. Tears sprang to my eyes he looked peaceful I had never seen him so happy. Tears ran down my face as The Lady touched my head. I felt like I was falling and flying at the same time. As I fell I heard her voice one last time.

I am with you always Legolas of Mirkwood.

The darkness grew lighter and lighter until it was a bright light. I moaned as I opened my eyes. My head hurt so much I wanted to slip back into the dark. But I could not, I must not. I looked around as I realized I was in Rivendell. I tried to sit up but pain raced through my body causing me to cry out. I heard footsteps racing toward my chamber. The door opened as Elladan ran through, fear evident in his eyes. He smiled when he saw I was awake. He walked over to me and helped me into a half sitting position.

"Are you thirsty?" He asked gently.

I nodded, my throat hurt and I was unsure if I could even talk. Elladan poured a cup of water from a pitcher that sat on a table near my bed. He slipped his hand behind my head to help me drink. I was grateful I was so weak i was afraid I would spill it. When I had drank my fill he sat the cup on the table. I licked my lips and managed to speak.

"Aragorn.......Is he.........Ok?" I asked afraid of the answer.

Elladan smiled "He is fine a few deep cuts but nothing serious. Speaking of Aragorn I should tell him and father you are awake."

I nodded smiling knowing that if he did not tell them they would be angry at him later. Elladan smiled as he walked to the door. "It is good to see you awake Legolas. We feared the worst." he said as he left. I lay there looking at the door contemplating The Lady's words. Remembering the image that had burned in my mind. I was shaken out of my thoughts as I heard loud fast footsteps running toward my room. I smiled as I recognized Aragorn's footsteps. The door opened and Aragorn entered the room looking shaken. His eyes widen as he gazes upon me in disbelief.

"Aragorn." was all I could get out. I held my hand out to him.

He walked to me and knelt next to my bed. He took my hand as he laid his head down and cried. Using my other hand I stroked his hair soothingly. My heart bursting with love for him. I knew he had blamed himself, hated himself for letting me down. Truth was it was not his fault. He had not let me down. I had failed him.

"It was not your fault Aragorn." I said firmly. Or as firmly as I could given my weaked condition. it was my fault. My stupidity. I thought.

Aragorn looked up in disbelief and shook his head. "I should not have said what I did." Hurt welled up inside me at his words. I blinked back tears as I said. "So you regret what you said?"

Aragorn looked at me surprised and a little offended. "No! That is not what I meant." he kissed my hand softly before continuing. "I should have waited until we reached Rivendell."

He leaned over me and kissed my on the lips softly. Aragorn moaned as I deepened the kiss. I glanced up as I heard footsteps stop outside my door. Aragorn chuckled lightly.

"That will be Lord Elrond. He promised me 10 minutes alone with you." he said as he stood. The door opened and Lord Elrond stepped in looking exactly the same as he did 20 years ago. of course he looks the same he is immortal! I chided myself.

"Welcome to Rivendell Prince Legolas of Mirkwood." Elrond said smiling.

I smiled back but I was caught off guard by something else. A feeling that was growing inside me. But that was absurd! I loved Aragorn! How could I desire Lord Elrond if I loved Aragorn? I looked at Aragorn realising I desired him as well. How could this be?

What sort of madness was this?