Friends are Forever by Carhuine Malthenel

From Aragorns POV.

I watched my father change Legolas' bandages, and clean his wounds. Something was not right with my father. His hands kept shaking, and he did not look me in the eye. I knew that his healing required concentration, but he seemed to be purposely avoiding looking at me or Legolas. I did not understand why he was being like this. He said he had met Legolas before. How well did he know him? I wondered. I suddenly realized that Elrond had been speaking to me and I had not heard one word. I looked up and saw that he had turned to the door and was walking out. I was truly confused at my father's actions and behavior that I simply watched him walk out the door. I turned my eyes back to Legolas and saw that he was sleeping. Sighing I decided to talk with Elrond to see if I could find out what was bothering him. I got up and exited the room. After I closed the door I saw Elladan and Elrohir coming toward Legolas' room. I could see confusion in their eyes as well. As they approached they smiled.

"How fares Legolas?" Elrohir wanted to know

"Fine. Ada just changed his bandages and cleaned his wounds. He is sleeping now." I replied.

The twins exchanged a glance at the mention of our father.

"Did Ada pass this way? I need to speak with him." I pressed them.

"Yes he was going to his chambers, he looked quite weary. I am glad Legolas is doing well. If you want we will sit with him while you speak with Ada." Elladan offered.

I nodded gratefully and continued toward Elrond's chambers. On the way I passed Glorfindel and Erestor they were coming from Elrond's chambers. They noticed when I was heading and they cut me off.

"Your father does not want to see anyone right now, Estel." Glorfindel said sighing. "He is very weary."

I became suspicious because Glorfindel never spoke to me in such a manner. Not even when I was younger and got into trouble. I felt tears welling up in my eyes. What was going on? I attempted to brush past them, but Glorfindel grabbed my arm. I looked up in surprise.

"It would be best if you went and rested, young one." Glorfindel's voice was like ice.

I wanted to see my father, I needed to see him. I wanted him to hold me. Like he used to when I was younger. I jerked my arm away as tears fell down my face. I fell to my knees crying, all the days of worrying had caught up with me.

"I just want to see Ada....." I whispered brokenly as I rocked back and forth.

Glorfindel looked at Erestor startled by my reaction. Erestor moved to Elrond's door and entered. Glorfindel knelt in front of me he wrapped his arms around me and he let me cry. I was young compared to them but I felt as if I had aged years in days. I wanted to see my father, I wanted to talk to him. I needed the truth about him and Legolas. Dimly I heard two elves approach I wondered who was coming.

"Estel."

It was Ada, he was behind me. Glorfindel pulled me up before he and Erestor left. I turned and looked at Elrond. I saw sadness and loneliness in his ageless eyes. He pulled me into his arms. I felt safe and loved, like everything would be ok. I felt him stroke my hair in a soothing manner. I cried until I had no tears left. When I had finished crying he led me back to my room. He swiftly removed my cloak and boots. He led me to the bed and told me to lay down. I watched him build up the fire and boil some type of tea. I was so tired that I did as he asked me, he walked over and handed me the tea.

"I know you are confused by my actions. I cannot explain to you my feelings yet." he whispered as he rubbed my back.

"Ok." Was all I said.

I felt so tired and relaxed that I started to fall asleep, I felt Elrond lay next to me and pull me into his arms.

"Sleep Estel." he whispered.

And I did.