Switch by Morgana

"You are not Erestor," said Lindir in a calm voice.

Glorfindel halted in his tracks, and then slowly turned his head, looking at Lindir from over his shoulder. "I beg your pardon?" He couldn't have been found out that quickly! That easily!

"You are not Erestor," repeated Lindir, who now came to a standstill beside the dark-haired Elf.

"That's nonsense," said Glorfindel with a chuckle, refusing to give in just yet. "Of course I am Erestor."

Lindir shook his head determinedly. "There are lots of things that gave you away, but the most important one was your handwriting." Lindir leaned in closer, and continued to whisper in a barely audible voice, "Your handwriting doesn't match Erestor's. I have been his personal assistant for decades and I know the way he dots his i's."

Glorfindel wondered what to do. He couldn't just admit the truth. Lórien had done this for a reason and the switch should remain a secret. "So I have changed my handwriting," he said, shrugging his shoulders.

Lindir grinned, predatorily. "Oh no, my Lord Glorfindel, I would recognize your handwriting anywhere."

Glorfindel's features contorted, annoyed. "Stop this nonsense. I am not Glorfindel!" Angrily, he marched on.

"But you are," stated Lindir, standing his ground. "You couldn't pass for Erestor no matter how hard you tried."

"What?" Gulping, Glorfindel froze and turned around.

"Erestor is in control of everything. He knows what Elrond wants him to do before our Lord says it. Erestor stands at Elrond's side and supports and councils him. I am surprised our Lord didn't reach the same conclusion as I did. It is rather obvious."

Glorfindel wasn't certain what to say. Should he confirm Lindir's suspicions or deny them? What would he gain? "Assuming I am Glorfindel, and that we are only speaking hypothetically, would you be inclined to keep quiet or go running to Elrond and tell him?"

"I would keep quiet – for now," said Lindir, considering his options. "My loyalty is to Erestor first."

Glorfindel studied Lindir extensively. Could he trust the white-haired Elf?

"I assume Erestor inhabits your body at the moment?" inquired Lindir, who read confirmation of his words in Glorfindel's silence.

"He might," said Glorfindel, still not certain how to act. "Lindir, would you return to Elrond's side and aid him in whatever way possible? I need to talk to Ere..."

"Erestor," finished Lindir for him. "I will help our Lord to the best of my abilities, but don't take too long. He needs Erestor's expertise. I suggest you ask Erestor how to make all necessary arrangements. Maybe he can write it down for you."

"I am perfectly capable of making these arrangements myself! I don't need Erestor's help!" Glorfindel marched away, indignant. Behind him, Lindir chuckled softly, causing Glorfindel to grow even more frustrated. When had things begun to go wrong?




Glorfindel heard the first encouraging, enthusiastic yells already from a distance. Instead of going to the gardens he had gone to the training grounds, where he would hopefully feel like himself again.

His men had formed a circle around the two combatants, who were circling each other. It had become somewhat of a tradition to end practice in this way – to utter a challenge and he wondered who had been challenged this time. He moved closer, and never noticed the curious, slightly stunned looks he was getting from the guards.

One of the combatants was Berior, his second-in-command; he could see that much. But who was the other?

"My Lord Councilor? Can I be of some assistance?" One of the guards had gathered his courage and now addressed the dark-haired advisor, whom he had never seen visit the training grounds before. "Are you maybe looking for Lord Glorfindel?"

"Yes, I am," answered Glorfindel, standing on his toes to see the face of the other competitor. The hair at the back of his neck grew rigid, finally recognizing the other combatant. Erestor, what did you get yourself into this time? His first thought was to dash in there and to break up the fight, but reason got the better of him. If he did, it would damage his reputation as their Captain, and he would utterly embarrass Erestor, who wasn't doing as badly as he had originally thought. Although Erestor was apparently a bit rusty in wielding the sword, the advisor wasn't doing so badly, keeping Berior at a distance and on his defensive. "It seems that I have found him."

"Yes, my Lord Councilor. Though it might be a while before he can speak with you. This fight has been going on for some minutes. They are rather evenly matched," supplied the guard.

Growing interested in the duel, Glorfindel pushed forward until he had a good view of the competitors. And only now did he register the wave of murmurs coming from the assembled guards. It was obvious that they wondered what he was doing here, but he decided to ignore them for now. Surprised, he realized he was rooting for Erestor, instead for his second-in-command. Duck... Step back... Attack! Yes, that's it! Before he knew it, he was cheering along with the rest of the guards, who were giving him even stranger looks at this point.

Erestor, fully concentrated on holding his ground and if possible defeating Berior, heard the added voice, but didn't identify it right away, never expecting Glorfindel to show up. It had been ages since he had fought last, and back then he had been fighting Orcs. Now he was fighting Glorfindel's second-in-command and he just couldn't make a mistake that would cause an injury. He had to be extremely careful. Maybe that one particular maneuver, which Ereinion had taught him so long ago, would come in handy and award him victory.

Glorfindel held his breath – along with the rest of the guards – when Erestor seemed to lose his footing and next his balance. A worried 'ah' went through the crowd and Glorfindel just knew Berior would take advantage of Erestor's misstep. Be careful, Erestor! He had wanted to shout the warning, but held back at the last moment. Suddenly, Erestor spun around, raised his sword and approached Berior from an odd angle, causing all spectators – including Glorfindel – to draw in their breath in shock.

Berior – wide open for Erestor's attack – realized the ploy too late and the blunt side of his Captain's sword touched his side, sliding up his chest to come to rest against his throat. Had this been a real fight, instead of play, he would have paid for his nonchalance with his death. "You win," he gasped, panting hard for breath. He lowered his sword and waited for his Captain to acknowledge victory.

"You fought well," said Erestor, lowering his sword in turn. After sheathing it again, he extended his hand. "I would trust you to watch my back in battle."

Honored, Berior shook his Captain's hand. "Thank you for your kind words. I will work even harder on perfecting my sword fighting skills."

"Lord Glorfindel?" The guard who had first addressed Glorfindel now approached his Captain.

Erestor, not realizing it was he who was being addressed, remained oblivious.

"Captain!"

That got Erestor's attention. "Yes?" He turned around to answer the guard and caught sight of Glorfindel standing there in those horrid green robes and braided hair. The warrior didn't look amused – he looked utterly frustrated.

"Lord Erestor is here to see you." Now that he had delivered his message, the guard stepped aside.

Erestor couldn't help himself; a smirk formed on his face. "Lord Erestor?"

"Walk with me," said Glorfindel, rather briskly. Marching away from the guards, he waited for Erestor to fall into step beside him.

Erestor's good mood vanished instantly. "What's amiss?"

Glorfindel glared at the ground. "I don't know how to balance books, check our stock, and negotiate with the traders. How do I decide who is to sit next to someone at the welcoming banquet? Why is that so hard?"

Erestor's grin softened. "Ask Lindir. He will help you."

"Lindir knows!" spat Glorfindel. "He recognized my handwriting!"

Erestor froze. "What? He knows?" What if Lindir told Elrond?

"Don't worry. He promised to remain quiet for now." Glorfindel, growing frustrated with being angry, sat down on a rock and gathered his robes around him. "I don't know how you stand it, being cooped up in Elrond's study all day long."

"It is heaven to me," said Erestor in a gentle voice, recalling working with Elrond for hours and hours, listening to the half-Elf rave, compliment him, even tease him. Those hours, tucked away in his Lord's study, were pure bliss to him.

"Why?" Glorfindel observed Erestor closely, and immediately noticed the distant look in the blue eyes.

"Because I like working there," said Erestor, evasively. He had already given away too much!

Glorfindel leaned in closer. "Or is it because Elrond is there?" It was time to test his theory.

"El... El--rond?" Erestor cursed himself for stuttering the name. "Why would you think that?"

But Glorfindel's eyes had narrowed. "It is because of Elrond. Tell me, Erestor, is Elrond your secret love?"

Erestor shook his head frantically. "Of course not! Don't be foolish! His heart belongs to our Lady Celebrían for all eternity."

But Glorfindel didn't believe him. That expression in Erestor's azure eyes told him everything he needed to know, but he would play along for now. "Elrond probably expects me back any moment now." He rose from the rock and stood in front of Erestor. "I never saw him that grumpy before. Apparently I upset his time table."

Erestor smiled most fondly. "Yes, he can get like that."

It is Elrond, no matter what you say! Glorfindel remained quiet however, no longer intent on giving anything away. He would act in silence and without Erestor's knowledge. Maybe Lindir can confirm my suspicions. He seems to know a lot about Erestor, but then again, he also said he was loyal to Erestor...

"Glorfindel? I need to return to the training grounds. They are probably wondering why we wandered of."

"You like being outside, sparring with them, don't you?" That surprised Glorfindel, who gestured for Erestor to accompany him back to the training grounds.

"I used to be a warrior a long time ago," mused Erestor, "I did fight alongside Elrond and Ereinion during the Battle of the Last Alliance."

"I am impressed," muttered Glorfindel – he really was. "What made you become an advisor then?"

Elrond did. That way I could spend more time with him. But he wasn't telling Glorfindel that. Instead he said, "The time for fighting had come to an end and I had seen enough death. I wanted to help build something and Imladris was the perfect challenge."

Glorfindel nodded once. They were about to come into sight of the guards. "I should be going. Elrond was already concerned when I left."

"Concerned? Why?" Acting instinctively, Erestor rested a hand on Glorfindel's arm. "What did you do?"

"He summed up what I was supposed to do and I asked him if it had to be done today. He gave me the funniest look. Then he sat me down and fed me tea."

"Don't upset him any further," said Erestor, worried now that Elrond was worried.

"I will try." Glorfindel couldn't help making his next remark. "You should take a bath, Captain, you smell." The growl that Erestor released made Glorfindel look up in surprise. "Growling now?"

"You are bringing out the worst in me!" Erestor felt like pulling out his hair. Glorfindel was a true nuisance!

Glorfindel leaned in closer and whispered, so his men couldn't hear, "I am doing this to make you happy, my friend. Don't forget that in the midst of our banter."

Erestor looked at Glorfindel guiltily. "I don't, it is just... I enjoyed myself today. I didn't expect for that to happen. It has been so long since I sparred, and was outside, tracking, riding a horse."

"I understand," whispered Glorfindel, reassuringly, "And maybe you should make some changes when you are in possession of your body again."

"Maybe I should," agreed Erestor. Even though he missed Elrond terribly he felt so alive! "I will take that bathe before joining you and Elrond for dinner. Do you think you can keep up appearances and not upset Elrond further?"

"I will do my best." Glorfindel had noticed the tender tone that slipped into Erestor's voice each time he said Elrond's name. It has to be Elrond!

"Captain? We are ready to leave for tonight's patrol!" Berior appeared to their right, bowing slightly, first to Glorfindel and then to Erestor, whom he thought was his commanding officer.

"I—" Glorfindel caught himself just in time. He had wanted to say that he would join them at once. But that was Erestor's line now.

"I will be there," replied Erestor, tucking a warrior braid into place. He waited for Berior to leave and then turned to Glorfindel. A soft expression appeared in the blue eyes, looking at the dark-haired Elf next to him. "Maybe green suits you better than I thought, my Lord Councilor."

An eyebrow crept higher at hearing the unexpected compliment. Are you trying to play nice? Erestor began to walk away from him, and Glorfindel saw the other Elf's essence for the first time since they had known each other. Erestor was a warm and loving soul, who had locked himself away with paperwork, forgetting he'd lead a different life once. "Captain?"

Surprised to hear Glorfindel address him in that manner, Erestor stopped and looked at the warrior from over his shoulder. "Yes, Lord Councilor?"

"You won that duel fair and square, Captain. You fought extremely well. You should consider teaching Berior that surprise tactic. It might save his life one day." Sapphire eyes sparkled, pleased, and Glorfindel inclined his head in respect. Maybe he should change some things as well after their bodies had been restored to them. Maybe he could spar with Erestor regularly and get to know a side of the advisor he had never really known existed before.




Elrond kept a close eye on his Chief Advisor. Erestor's out-of-character behavior worried him and he wondered what had brought it about. Throughout the last few centuries he had seen Erestor become more silent, more withdrawn, and more than once had he been afraid that his good friend was fading. But the Elven Sickness never took hold of Erestor and Elrond couldn't help but ask himself who it was Erestor yearned for. It had been easy to identify what ailed his long-time friend. The signs of heartbreak were there for everyone to see; his friend suffered from a broken heart. But who had broken it? Which Elf was so... stupid!... to deny the raven-haired advisor? Elrond could merely shake his head at such folly. A very stupid Elf indeed!

His thoughts drifted back to that day when Erestor had asked him for a private conversation, telling him that someone was in love with him. Elrond had frowned; that hadn't been what he had expected to hear. He had thought that Erestor would finally tell him the identity of the Elf who had captured his heart. Instead, the Lord of Imladris had found himself the center of attention, finding he had a secret admirer. He had then confided in Erestor that he would never love again. His wife had his eternal love. Erestor had then assured him that he would tell Elrond's secret admirer and let him down gently.

But much had changed since he had uttered those words. Back then, he had been convinced his heart would remain unresponsive for the rest of his immortal life. But lately, he had caught himself looking at Erestor with more than just friendly interest. He had begun to notice his friend's ethereal beauty, Erestor's devotion to him, and his loyalty. And more than once did he wonder if he shouldn't confide in Erestor and tell his advisor about his blooming feelings for him. But then again, Erestor was already in love – unrequited love – but still... He didn't think the advisor would be pleased to hear that the Lord of Imladris was falling in love with him. The last thing Elrond wanted was to confuse Erestor further, or aggravate his friend's condition. So he remained quiet and tried to support Erestor in whatever way possible. But his heart slowly broke apart, seeing his friend wither away due to his heartbreak.

Elrond looked up from the letter he was writing when Erestor entered the study once more. The dark-haired Elf had a distant expression in his eyes and a deep frown had settled on Erestor's brow. Worried, Elrond wished he could do something to help his friend. "Erestor?" The walk in the gardens hadn't done Erestor any good, by the looks of it. "How do you fare, my friend?" Elrond rose from behind his desk and advanced on the advisor, who now looked at him with surprise in his eyes. "Why won't you let me help?" he asked in a warm voice.

"It is complicated," said Glorfindel, coming to a standstill in front of Elrond. He desperately needed confirmation of his suspicions. If Erestor was in love with Elrond, he was fairly confident that he could get them together, but he had to know for sure first. What if he had drawn the wrong conclusion and was about to hook up the wrong Elf? His gaze shifted away from Elrond to Lindir, who sat cross-legged on the floor, trying to work out the seating arrangements for the welcoming dinner. Oh, damn, Legolas! He had to warn Erestor that Legolas was about to arrive. And as Legolas was his lover, the Woodland Elf would most certainly insist on renewing their love affair.

"Erestor!" Seriously worried for his friend's sanity, Elrond waved his hand in front of the advisor's face. "Do you even hear or see me?"

"Hm, what?" Glorfindel, who had been studying Lindir, now had to focus on Elrond again.

"I worry about you, Erestor." Elrond wrung his hands behind his back. "Why don't you return to your rooms and rest until dinner?" He frowned, thoughtfully. "Maybe a private dinner would be best. The peace and quiet might soothe your nerves."

Glorfindel knew he couldn't pass up this chance. "I would like that very much."

"I will come to your chambers then and I will have dinner delivered there. Lindir, will you walk Erestor back?" Elrond's fingers itched to touch Erestor and to soothe his worries away, but his friend had always kept him at a distance.

"But you said you were buried in work!" Glorfindel felt frustrated, being unable to carry out Erestor's duties and thus help Elrond cope with the work load. He had really thought Erestor's work was easy!

"I will ask Arwen and the twins to help with the preparations for Legolas' welcome." In the end, Elrond lost his inner struggle and rested a hand on his friend's shoulder, squeezing gently. "Your health is more important to me. Rest."

Glorfindel nodded, grateful for Elrond's understanding. "I will be back to my charming self in the morning." At least, he would try harder tomorrow and hopefully Lindir and Erestor could teach him how to carry out his duties tonight.

Elrond's eyebrow inched impossibly high. His charming self? Had Erestor finally lost his sanity? Oh, he didn't hope so!

Lindir rose from the floor and gave Glorfindel a look filled with understanding before addressing Elrond. "Rest assured, my Lord. I will look after him."

"Uh, but you will hurry back?" Panic showed on Elrond's face briefly, realizing how far behind on schedule he already was.

"I will, my Lord," assured Lindir. "Lord Erestor, let me walk you to your rooms." Lindir gestured Glorfindel to follow him, which the warrior promptly did.

Elrond watched them leave with a heavily burdened heart. How he wished Erestor would confide in him! I wish I could comfort him just a little. It is such a shame he loves someone else, for by Elbereth, I think I love him. Sighing deeply, he returned to his desk to finish his letter.