A Heavy Burden by Jean Akins

[Reviews - 1]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: Spoilers: Sequel to The Fellowship and the Fountain of Youth.

Setting: Takes place a week later after their adventure of the Fountain of Youth, and before Boromir is killed.
Frodo had become snappish lately to everyone in the Fellowship. They figured it was due to the heavy stress that weighed upon his mind. He was emotionally fragile and would crack without warning, they thought.

Legolas was doing all he could to cut some slack for Frodo, but lately the Ring-Bearer was getting on his nerves.

I must be more understanding, thought Legolas, for the little one bears an enormous responsibility, one so great that should never have been placed upon one so small and innocent.

It was Legolas's turn to relieve Frodo from the nightwatch. He got up and walked quietly over to where Frodo sat. Frodo did not hear the Elf Prince approaching, for why should he? Legolas was light enough to walk upon snow.

He tapped Frodo on the shoulder. Frodo literally jumped and squealed.

"It is only I," said Legolas softly.

Frodo glared at Legolas. "What are you trying to do?! Give me a heart attack?!"

Legolas paused before speaking. "I did not mean to startle you so. Why are you cross with me?"

Frodo ignored the question and kept glaring at him. Then he got up and started to walk toward his bed, but Legolas stopped him by grabbing his arm.

"Frodo, do you always walk away when asked a question?"

"Let go of me. I'm tired."

"Very well. But if I have done anything that has hurt you so much that you feel you must treat me this way, I wish you would tell me." Legolas let go of Frodo's arm and they both stood there.

Frodo looked at the trees, then at some rocks, then at the ground. But he would not look directly at Legolas.

Legolas wanted an honest answer from Frodo. "Frodo?" He gently cupped Frodo's face in his hands and tilted his head upward so they could see each other. Legolas was surprised to see a tear rolling down Frodo's face.

"You weep. Why?"

Frodo sobbed, then broke away and ran toward his bed. Legolas stood there and watched the little Hobbit flee.

The next day Frodo avoided Legolas as best as he could. Legolas did not fail to notice the Hobbit's behavior.

That night while Aragorn kept watch, Legolas quietly moved over near Frodo as he slept. He sat with his back against a tree and looked at Frodo.

The little Hobbit stirred in his sleep. He moaned and kicked at his blanket. Then he started mumbling in Elvish.

"So pretty. So cute. So soft," mumbled Frodo. Legolas with his sharp hearing, could understand what Frodo was mumbling. The Prince of Mirkwood was puzzled by what he heard next. "No, don't go! Don't leave me!" Then he heard a sob from the small shaking figure.

Frodo thrashed about and kicked off his blanket. Legolas expected to see Sam come running over, but the other Hobbit was sound asleep.

Legolas moved closer to Frodo. He picked up the blanket that was kicked aside and gently placed it back over Frodo up to his chin. He looked at Frodo for a moment. Then he quietly got under the blanket with Frodo. Legolas turned to one side so he faced Frodo and wrapped one arm around his waist to help keep him warm. Frodo stopped mumbling. He breathed quietly and contentedly after that. A few minutes later Legolas fell asleep.

The next morning Legolas awoke to see Frodo lying beside him and staring at him. The Hobbit had an expressionless look on his face. No smile, no frown. He just stared at Legolas. Finally Frodo spoke.

"How did you end up here in my bed?"

"You seemed troubled in your sleep, so I thought you needed comforting. Does that disturb you?"

Frodo stared at Legolas and did not say anything for a minute. Then he grinned. "I wasn't really asleep."

Legolas frowned. "Explain."

"I was awake the whole time."

This time it was Legolas's turn to stare at Frodo and not say anything.

Finally Legolas grinned and spoke.

"Neither was I back at the Fountain of Youth."

Frodo froze and his eyes opened very wide.

"What?! What do you mean?"

"When Benjamin fed that herbal mixture to Aragorn and me to cure us, remember? It was the very first time the Caretaker used that cure, and Benjamin believed it would make us fall asleep for an hour until the transformation was complete. Well, as far as I know, it did make Aragorn fall asleep as he is human, but I know I did not fall asleep. I believe it might have something to do with my being an Elf. I remember you holding me ever so carefully and looking at me with adoration. I felt you gently stroking my hair and then you kissed my forehead."

Frodo stared open-mouthed at Legolas and did not know what to say. He started to get out of the bed, but Legolas put his arm around him to stop the Hobbit from moving.

"To repeat what you said last night, 'No, don't go! Don't leave me!'" said Legolas.

Frodo's heart was racing. He stared at Legolas. Part of him wanted to flee. The other part of him wanted to stay right where he was.

"I believe you also said, 'So pretty. So cute. So soft,'" said Legolas. He gazed into Frodo's eyes and used one hand to gently trace the little Hobbit's face. Then he gently kissed Frodo on the lips.

Frodo closed his eyes and kissed Legolas. Those soft perfect lips, that magnificent face, that beautiful golden blond long hair, that tall slender body! It was too much for Frodo to deny his feelings any longer. He had grown to love and worship the Prince of Mirkwood ever since that moment he held toddler Legolas in his arms. He had tried to deny his feelings for a week, but seeing Legolas every day made it so much harder to do so.

The Elf Prince and the Hobbit were wrapped in each other's arms and locked in a very passionate kiss when a loud cough sounded closeby.

"A-hem!"

They broke apart from their strong embrace and looked up to see Aragorn standing there.

"Good morning, you two. Sleep well?

"Uh, yes. And yourself?" asked Frodo.

"I had the nightwatch, so I'm going to get a couple hours of rest right now." Aragorn nodded and walked toward his bed. If he had any comments on what he had just seen, he was not going to say it.

Frodo looked at Legolas and felt a little embarrassed. Legolas looked completely at ease as he smiled at Frodo. He sat up and pulled Frodo over and held him close.

"Is this why you were so cross with me the other night? You didn't know how to admit your true feelings about me?" asked Legolas softly.

Frodo slowly nodded. He had been in emotional turmoil, thinking he didn't deserve to have someone as beautiful and perfect and lovely as Legolas. And what if during this quest, something terrible should happen to Legolas? Frodo didn't think he could stand it if he lost Legolas during this dangerous journey to Mt. Doom.

"Do not ever be afraid to show me your true feelings, Frodo," said Legolas. He hugged Frodo, kissed him on the cheek and ruffled his hair. "Let us have breakfast now."

Frodo and Legolas got up and headed for the clearing where the others had gathered to eat. Sam, Pippin, Merry, Gimli and Boromir were sneaking looks at Legolas and Frodo, but looked away so as not to meet their gazes. Aragorn was still sleeping after having completed his recent nightwatch.

Frodo didn't know what lay ahead of the Fellowship during the remainder of their quest, but at least he felt a heavy burden had just been lifted from his heart. He no longer had to hide his feelings from Legolas anymore. He was happy again.