Green and Silver Leaves by Chaotic Binky

 

 

 

Haldir followed, wondering what had just happened. Had Legolas made a pass at him, if so he could kick himself for not responding properly. He thought back to his friends, they liked to poke gentle fun at his seriousness and his constancy in always doing what he considered the right thing, and he had once overheard them saying that if another elf flirted with him he was too uptight to know, even if they grabbed hold of his crotch, kissed him hard and declared undying love. Why had the thought come to him at that time, he wondered.

 

It was now or never, before he could be overheard by the elves walking below. "Did you just make a pass at me?"

 

Legolas hesitated. "No."

 

"Yes you did. You were going to kiss me and I drew back."

 

"Well if you know, why did you ask?" Legolas left the landing and made his descent down the steps ringing the mallorn.

 

"I didn't want to get it wrong. After all, we did not start on the right footing and I did not want to be seen taking advantage of you. What I mean is..." Haldir sighed. "I am not very good at this sort of thing."

 

"I can tell." Legolas shrugged and took Haldir's arm. "What is at this tavern of yours?"

 

"Just drinking mainly. I meet my friends there when I am not working, but I don't think any of them will be there during the day."

 

"Well, why don't you show me around? Take me to your favourite places, instead of us getting drunk? I have no desire to be hit with anymore cakes."

 

"I have already apologised for that," Haldir said stiffly.

 

"Yes, I know." Legolas skipped merrily down the stairs laughing as he did so. "You are so funny."

 

"Oh, how?"

 

"You are so stiff and formal that throwing cakes is probably the only way you can let your hair down. It was probably the highlight of your day."

 

"Really? So what do you do for fun? Tie kittens to arrows and see how far you can make them fly?"

 

Legolas turned and gave his widest smile. "Hey! You said something funny. Even though it was sarcasm at my expense, I still found it amusing."

 

Haldir ignored him. "My most favourite place is Mithlond, so I can hardly take you there. Have you seen the sea? It's awesome. Really huge. I never saw anything like it. I heard it was amazing but it literally took my breath away. I spent six months doing extended warrior training there and nearly stayed."

 

"Ada is taking me to Mithlond in a year's time. I am looking forward to seeing the sea. Ada said that huge birds circle the towers and also the ships leaving the harbour. I would love to see a ship. I have seen them in paintings but never in life."

 

"I went on a ship for a short trip, just around the harbour. Círdan believes that warriors should have some appreciation of what sailors do. He runs a job exchange programme and the elves there are regularly rotated, so no one gets bored in their jobs."

 

Legolas' eyes lit up. "You went on a ship?"

 

Haldir nodded eagerly.

 

"What was it like?"

 

They left the tree steps and joined the elves walking through the clearing. Most were passing through, whereas a couple climbed steps to their flets high up in the trees.

 

"I stood on the deck of the ship and it was quite smooth until they unfurled the sails. They were so impressive, great white sheets filled by the wind. The ship sailed out and swayed a bit, but it was all right. There is no experience like it."

 

"Have you ever been to Imladris? I went there when I was young. Lord Elrond's advisor is really scary. His name is Erestor. According to Ada he doesn't suffer fools gladly and he says there is nothing wrong with that. I think Ada really likes Erestor because they write to each other quite often."

 

"I went there as part of my training as well. I saw Erestor emerge from a dark corridor. When he spoke from the darkness I nearly jumped out of my skin. Do you think he was nice to you because you are a prince or because he is a friend of your father?"

 

"Probably a bit of both."

 

"Would you like to go to the art gallery? There are several paintings of ships and seascapes."

 

"Yes, of course." Legolas' eyes sparkled. "I would love to."

 

"This way." Haldir unconsciously took Legolas' arm. "The gallery is this way."

 

They walked through the next clearing and into what looked like a lane made of two rows of mallorns. Up above, the trunks were dotted with various shops and even a small fruit and vegetable market.

 

"These trees are amazing." Legolas craned his head back to look upwards and added that he could not see the tips of the trees because they were so high.

 

"We could go for a climb afterwards," Haldir suggested.

 

"I would love that. We cannot climb the trees at home because of the spiders. I have always dreamed of going up so far that I can look over the forest canopy and see for miles around. Have you ever done that?"

 

"We have gardens high up in the trees where we grow plants in the collected rainwater. We could visit them on the way up."

 

"This is a wonderful place." Legolas looked at Haldir, eyes filled with joy. "This place is so safe and it is filled with golden light. I feel disloyal saying this but I could stay here forever and not go home."

 

Haldir wondered how bad Mirkwood must be for Legolas to say such a thing. He has heard stories about the darkness of the forest and the huge spiders, not to mention other dark creatures. He supposed that the place must be very gloomy and filled with dangerous shadows. He couldn't imagine what it must be like not being able to climb trees.

 

"Maybe one day where I live can be this beautiful."

 

Haldir felt proud of his home when Legolas said that, but he also felt a pang of compassion for him not being able to enjoy the beauty that all elves crave. "We should do things that give you wonderful, light filled memories for when you go back home." Haldir's voice took on a softer tone. "Sometimes memories are all we have when we are in darkness, and they carry us through."

 

"When were you ever in the dark?" Legolas looked surprised and sounded slightly scornful. Surely Haldir did not speak from experience?

 

"When I was ninety our patrol was overwhelmed by a group of orcs. They outnumbered us five to one and some of us were captured, including me. I will not tell of their torturous treatment of us, but it took me a long time to recover both physically and mentally. I doubt I would have survived without my Lady's help. I succeeded in outwitting our orc guards and was able to rescue the others. We made our escape, but many of us were not able to walk properly or had limbs missing, so the more able bodied carried the others. A couple of the group were blinded, so we tied strips of material to their waists; that way we could lead them and help carry the more seriously injured as well. The most important thing about surviving was remembering the golden trees and other places that we loved. Sharing our memories helped us to carry on and gave us strength when all seemed lost. In the end, we were spotted by a patrol and rescued. They came just in time."

 

"I wondered how you could be the leader of an elite unit at your age and now I know why. I assume I am right?"

 

Haldir smiled and nodded. "Let's enjoy ourselves today. We will surround ourselves with happiness and beauty, for today we will lay memories away for our future, which may not always be so filled with light."

 

"You have already proved that," Legolas said softly. "I have never yet been caught by the enemy, but it could happen, after all they attack us on a regular basis. If they do catch me I will remember my time here and how beautiful this place is, plus I will take inspiration from you if circumstance leads me into darkness greater than we already endure."

 

"I hate to think of you enduring darkness," Haldir said softly, partly because he still felt shy but also because people were walking nearby and he felt their conversation was personal.

 

"It is how we live," Legolas said simply. "One day, when the evil is defeated, we shall live in the light again. Every day is a constant battle for us. You went on patrol for half a year on the borders; I am guessing that you will now spend six months working here, although I expect you will get some time off to recover from your long stint. We never get that luxury in Mirkwood. Every day we face danger from terrors unimaginable to most elves, although I think you have some idea of them."

 

Haldir nodded. "You, more than anyone, need to fill your mind with light and wonderful memories. You need the hope it brings."

 

"You understand."