Green and Silver Leaves by Chaotic Binky

 

 

The trees rustled and Galadriel cocked her ear. "My trees tell me there is a messenger two glades away and fast approaching. He is nearly here and will seek leave to talk to you, Legolas."

 

Alarm spread across Legolas' face. He jumped up and quickly dressed, pulling his hair into a rough ponytail. "How long will it be before he arrives?"

 

"A few minutes. Put your clothes on Haldir!"

 

"Yes, Galadriel." Haldir shot up and dressed quickly.

 

The messenger arrived a few seconds later. "My Lord Legolas," he panted. "King Thranduil, your father..."

 

"I know what relation he is to me, Faelben," Legolas barked. "Get on with it!"

 

"A terrible tragedy has occurred." Faelben handed a scroll to Legolas.

 

Legolas snapped the seal and unrolled the scroll. His face turned ashen. His father's writing scrawled across the sheet, as if he was writing with his left hand or in pain when he had written it. "Nana." He turned to Galadriel. "Nana is dead." His lips sucked inwards as he tried to hold himself, but the tears flowed anyway. "How did it happen?" Haldir moved forward, as did Galadriel and Celeborn, and all three held onto him.

 

"A group of unusually large spiders invaded our defences and ran amok in the ballroom. Your father was dancing with your mother at the time. He is terribly injured and requires that you run the realm in his stead. At the last count fifty elves are dead but many more are expected to make their journey to the Halls." Faelben was filled with grief; Legolas felt there was more to come.

 

"What happened to my mother and how were so many overcome?" Legolas asked, already slipping into the role of ruling prince.

 

"They were unarmed. The servants went to collect the weapons and came back swiftly while the elves in the ballroom fought with their bare hands. Your father ordered your mother to flee to safety and pushed her through a door with the other women who were with child, but a spider was lurking above and fell through the ventilation hatch." Faelben could hold himself no longer. "My wife was directly underneath, so after this errand I will leave for Mithlond to sail. One day we will be reunited and I will meet my child."

 

"I am so sorry," Legolas said softly, trying to clear his head for the journey back. "My mother was only two weeks with child. It was little bigger than a seed, but its loss is no less painful for that. My grief is double and it will take time to fully sink in." He looked at his hosts. "I will leave immediately. Thank you for your hospitality; I hope one day to visit again under more pleasant circumstances. I will, of course, assure my father of your friendship and will actively encourage strengthened relations between the realms."

 

Legolas walked over to Haldir, who felt he should withdraw somewhat because of what had happened. "Thank you so much, Haldir. You have given me one of the most carefree days of my life. I hope that we have a firm and fast friendship from now on." To Haldir's surprise Legolas kissed him briefly on the lips before hugging him hard.

 

"I will miss you. We did indeed have a lovely day."

 

Legolas turned away. "The warriors who accompanied me here need to be informed."

 

Galadriel called for one of her attendants waiting by the tree. They were so elusive that Legolas' keen eyes hadn't seen them until then. "Inform Prince Legolas' warriors that they are to be ready to leave within the hour."

 

"I ask that we may leave our possessions here and only carry our weapons for speed," Legolas looked around at Haldir. "We will return to collect them when this is all over, and perhaps we could go swimming again."

 

"You can visit whenever you want." Celeborn took Legolas' hands and held them fast. "You are our friend."

 

"Yes, you do not need a reason," Galadriel agreed.

 

"Will you be able to get back safely?" Haldir asked, ready to accompany Legolas if need be. He asked Galadriel if he could take a band of Marchwardens to help.

 

Faelben answered for Legolas. "The forest is once again at the level of peace it had before. The giant spiders have been destroyed and their body parts hung at the perimeter of the forest bounds as a warning to other creatures not to invade our part of The Mirkwood. Normally such measures are effective until the shells rot away and fall to the forest floor."

 

"They usually try to invade the caves in winter," Legolas said. "I wonder why they came so early this year."

 

"King Thranduil is wondering the same thing, My lord."

 

"My Lord, My Lady, I will take my leave. I hope in the near future to complete my visit. Until then." Legolas' eyes softened a moment before taking on the light that he would need to run a realm and save it from further attacks.

 

Haldir watched Legolas and Faelben leave. His heart felt bereft. When would he see him again, he wondered. Surely not for months yet, given the terrible tragedy that had occurred. Before walking away, he silently prayed to the Valar that Legolas arrived home without incident.

 

"Haldir, come with me," Galadriel said. He turned back and she took his hand, something she had never done before. "We will go to the mirror. Your heart feels loss, just as Legolas' does."

 

"He has good reason, My Lady."

 

"As do you."

 

Haldir said nothing further. He walked beside Galadriel and Celeborn accompanied them.

 

They entered a private glade. No one walked there, as if an invisible barrier denied access. In the middle stood a white marble column with three carved branches at the top, supporting a simple stone bowl. Galadriel held her hand over the empty bowl and the water rose upwards. By the side of the column stood a small golden jug filled with water. Haldir noticed that as the bowl filled with water the level went down in the jug; however, the volume of water in the bowl did not seem to match that of the jug. It was an enigma which he would pursue, but not today.

 

"My mirror shows what has passed, what is now, and what may come. Do not be afraid of anything it shows, for future events may not happen, or indeed they may." Galadriel trailed her fingers lightly through the water and tiny sparkles crackled around the sides of the bowl. Her hand left the water and they waited, peering at the surface as the last of the sparkles diminished.

 

At first nothing happened. Celeborn remarked that perhaps they should get a new bowl as this one seemed to be faulty because it was taking longer to show visions than when first moulded. Galadriel told him to be quiet and added that there was nothing wrong with the bowl. After a few more seconds the water clouded over before clearing again.