Green and Silver Leaves by Chaotic Binky

 

 

 

"Valar! I could have done without seeing that!" Celeborn remarked, covering his eyes quickly. Haldir went scarlet and Galadriel merely grinned.

 

The mirror showed two elves in bed. They kissed before throwing the covers off, revealing their naked bodies. The decor matched that of the flet used by important visitors to Lothlórien.

 

"The mirror does not filter events, so we will wait for the next vision." She looked at Haldir. "I could warm my hands on your red face."

 

Before he could come back with a reply the water clouded over again. This time a wedding was being celebrated. The two elves looked familiar and as the waters cleared further Haldir started in surprise.

 

"One of those visions that will not come true," Haldir remarked. "His father would never allow it."

 

"No, he wouldn't, but it's a possible strand for the future"

 

"Besides, we do not love one another."

 

"All of the visions can happen," Galadriel told him. "Do not be so quick to dismiss what you see. Love is the most intangible of emotions; it can appear suddenly with a rush so furiously overwhelming that one cannot imagine ever having been without it. One minute there is just an affectionate liking, and then everything changes."

 

"Well, his father would never allow it. That is a fact. He has already chosen a bride for him." Celeborn sighed, wondering why the mirror would forward such an unlikely vision.

 

"Does he love her? Can the mirror tell us if he does?" Haldir asked, feeling a sense of loss. "I wonder why he never said anything."

 

"They have never met." Celeborn told him. "King Thranduil considers her a suitable match because she is born of a high family and wealthy in her own right. She lives in Mithlond, and they are due to meet for the first time next year when she will be old enough to marry. He will do his duty and produce an heir, whether he loves her or not."

 

"That is the life of a royal heir," Galadriel said sadly.

 

For the next few days, Haldir carried on as he normally did when newly returned from patrol. He went to the tavern with his friends, visited his parents and brothers, and generally relaxed until it was time to keep up with his training and complete any outstanding paperwork.

 

He spent the next few months immersed in teaching the junior warriors the skills they would need to survive and planning strategies with the more experienced ones. He took opportunities to do bonding exercises with his team and complete various scenarios with them. In all, he kept himself busy, as he always did, trying not to think about that one day which seemed more magical every time it came to mind. No word came from Legolas, which heartened Haldir because word would have certainly reached the realm if he had come to harm. Perhaps Legolas was busy, or maybe he did not need the clothing he had left behind. He could not think it might be that Legolas did not look back upon their shared day with fondness.

 

After six months in Lothlórien, Haldir went on patrol. It was the usual circuit around the perimeter of the realm and the area just beyond. To the northeast he imagined he could see the mountains of Mirkwood. Beyond, past the Black and the Forest Rivers, was where Legolas lived.

 

'I am being silly. It was just one day,' Haldir thought, not for the first time, yet he could not stop himself.

 

The patrol ended after six months. During that time they saw hardly any action. They joined up with other patrols and shared provisions, telling stories and singing songs that reminded them of home. Even though they joked of killer rabbits and savage wood mice, while sitting around their camp fires, they always kept an ear out for strange noises, the rustling of leaves when there was no wind or the snap of a twig. Either could mean the drawing of weapons and a possible battle.

 

On the way home they spotted a band of orcs on the other side of the Anduin, heading away from them, probably back to Dol Guldur. They were beyond the patrol's reach so they did not pursue them, but it needed reporting when they arrived back. Haldir thought it was likely they were heading off because they had spotted the Lothlórien patrol. Orc parties tended to do that after the severe thrashings they had endured in the past off the Marchwardens.

 

They arrived home late at night. Haldir reported to Celeborn that a party of orcs had been spotted over the other side of the river but were heading away from them.

 

"Go to your flet and have a good night's sleep," Celeborn told him. "I will tell my wife. We suspect that the orcs will not always head back home when they see one of our patrols. Trouble is brewing in Dol Guldur."

 

"Indeed," Haldir agreed. "In the future our patrols will become more dangerous, but they will have more meaning because of that." He bowed and wished his Lord a good night. The other Marchwardens would be in bed by now; it was too late for visiting the taverns.

 

Under the full moon he made his way to the mallorn tree that held his flet, walking along platforms and walkways and climbing many steps. His pack weighed heavily on his back, but he was looking forward to sleeping in a real bed that night.

 

"Hello beautiful," a voice shouted from a mallorn the other side of the clearing, just as Haldir reached his flet.

 

Such joy filled Haldir's senses. "Legolas!" he cried. "You are back!" His joyful exclamations were cut short by a volley of cream puffs, some of which hit the door to his flet. However, quite a few hit him as well, splatting cream over his chest and face. Haldir took one of the cream puffs and threw it back. Legolas ducked.

 

"Ha ha! Can't hit me!"

 

Haldir ran down the steps and along the walkways and crossed the clearing while Legolas yelled that he had more cakes and wouldn't hesitate to use them.

 

"Right! Throw cakes at me will you?" Haldir stood before Legolas, covered in cream and bits of sponge. Before Legolas could answer he hugged him tight. "I like to share."

 

"I wanted you to hug me with cream all over you." Legolas chuckled as Haldir laughed.

 

"How long are you staying?"

 

Legolas shrugged before giving Haldir a warm smile. "I can stay as long as I like. My father is recovered, and I did a wonderful job of running his realm. This is my reward for having done so well. I went back to a realm shattered by tragedy, but now we have hope; quite a few babies have been born and in a few years our numbers will be back up to what they were. I feel that I can leave for a while and know they will be all right." He chuckled to himself before looking at Haldir.

 

"What?"

 

"I was betrothed to marry Lady Miniel. We were going to visit Mithlond this year so we could marry."

 

Haldir stiffened. "Yes, Lord Celeborn told me."

 

"Her father called it off after hearing about the tragedy. He wrote that his daughter refused to live in such a dangerous place. I cannot say I am disappointed, although her portrait was exquisitely beautiful."

 

"Betrothal portraits cannot be trusted," Haldir said quickly.

 

Legolas smiled. "I wanted to be with you."

 

Haldir's lips met those of Legolas'. As they kissed they thought of nothing, both enjoying the closeness that neither had dared to think would happen in any future that they might enjoy. As their tongues touched they knew they were in love, all doubts swept away by the thrill of deep desire and adoration. Neither would have been anywhere else at that instant. This was the moment they had waited for all their lives and now it was really happening.

 

Overhead, the full moon shone down, bathing them in a cool white light. For a brief moment the moonbeams were intensified by a Silmaril beam from a ship riding high above the Earth, before dimming again. Both elves knew they had been blessed with meeting the one they would always love forever.

 

"I love you," Legolas said softly, his bright eyes shining and his cheeks flushed above kiss swollen lips.

 

Haldir smiled widely. "I love you too."

 

They kissed again, while edging their way through the door of Legolas' flet. Once inside, the door slammed shut. For all I know they might be kissing still.