Coming Home by Aglarien

[Reviews - 1]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Aragorn stayed in the healing hall, talking softly with Elrond and Gandalf as the master healer worked on the hobbit, and helping where he could. In the days since he had found the hobbits he had grown inordinately fond of them, especially Frodo, and he was strangely reluctant to leave the Halfling, even to Elrond’s care.

Erestor stood in the doorway and watched his foster son. Aragorn was scruffy, unshaven, and none too clean, but more importantly, he looked exhausted. The elf could only imagine what the Ranger had gone through to bring the hobbit safely to Imladris with his burden. It had probably been days, if not weeks, since he had been able to sleep more than a few hours, and he looked thinner than the last time he had visited his old home. Even so, Erestor could see that Aragorn was concerned for the hobbit and was hesitant to leave him. “Estel,” he said softly, “your part in this stage of the hobbit’s journey is now ended, and Elrond’s begins. Come with me.”

Elrond looked up from his work and smiled softly at Erestor, then said to Aragorn, “Go with Erestor, my son.”

Aragorn sighed and placed his hand on Frodo’s brow for a moment. He would not tell Elrond to take care of the hobbit for him, for he knew that Frodo was in the best of care. Nodding, he followed Erestor out of the room.

Erestor wrapped his arm around the Ranger’s waist and led the man towards Aragorn’s old rooms.

“I need to check on the other hobbits, Erestor,” the Ranger said.

“I have already done so,” Erestor replied. “Lindir has them well in hand, and they even stopped protesting about being made to leave Frodo once food and beds were offered. I believe there was even a mention of ale.”

“The way to a hobbit’s heart,” Aragorn chuckled tiredly. “I did not see Glorfindel leave. I will thank him more fully later. I do not know how I would have managed getting the hobbits here without him.”

“Melpomaen came and bore him away for his own food and rest,” Erestor said as he opened the door to the Ranger’s rooms. Erestor’s assistant had been nearly frantic with worry for his mate while Glorfindel was out searching for Frodo, knowing that the Nine were abroad. The counselor went at once to the bathroom, rolling up the sleeves of his robe as he walked, and began to draw a bath.

Aragorn stopped and watched the lithe elf bend over the tub, sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and was carried back to a day when a small, laughing, muddy boy was unceremoniously dumped into the tub and scrubbed clean.

“Why do you stand there, child?” Erestor said. “Come, off with those filthy clothes and into the tub.”

Aragorn smiled. Nearly eighty-eight years of age, he would be considered ancient in the world of men, but to Erestor he would always be a child. “I have missed you, Ada Erestor,” he said softly, and pulled the elf closer to plant a gentle kiss to the top of the counselor’s head.

“I have missed you too, my son,” Erestor said, genuinely pleased and touched to hear the Ranger call him Ada once again. He gave Aragorn a quick hug, and then said, “Now off with those clothes and into the tub with you. I will find you something clean to wear.”

Aragorn removed his travel-stained clothes, tossing them in a corner, and sank into the hot water as Erestor left the room. After dunking his head, he reached for soap and began to wash.

Erestor returned to the bath to find Aragorn with his face and neck covered in soap lather and scraping a sharp blade down his cheek. “Hand me that,” he said quietly. “You are so tired you will probably cut yourself.”

“You are undoubtedly right,” Aragorn said, handing the knife to Erestor with a grin.

“Arwen is here,” Erestor said as he knelt and began to shave his foster son. “I do not want her to see you cut and bleeding.”

Aragorn’s grey eyes sparkled, but he held his head still. “The time has come, Ada Erestor,” Aragorn said when the elf has finished. “I feel it.”

“Yes,” Erestor replied. “The time you have prepared all of your life for is here. When the hobbit is well, Elrond will hold a council, and Elves, Men and Dwarves will decide how we will face this threat and deal with that which Frodo bears.”

“I fear failure, Ada,” Aragorn whispered. “Even Isildur had not the strength.”

“You will not fail, Estel,” Erestor said firmly. “You will not fail. I know it in my heart.”




Erestor rose as Elrond wearily entered their rooms. “How fares the hobbit?” he asked. “Will the wound heal?”

Elrond shook his head, uncertain in his answer. “He is not yet out of danger, but I do not know why. Something about it troubles me. It is an evil wound. I have nearly exhausted myself attempting to heal him, and must rest before I try again. Where is Estel?”

“In his rooms, resting. Arwen watches over his sleep.” Erestor drew Elrond into an embrace and the Elf-lord rested his head on the shorter counselor’s shoulder for a moment.

“I fear the time has come,” Elrond whispered.

“We do not yet know what role he will play, but he will not fail,” Erestor answered. “We must have hope. The time has come to reforge the sword, Elrond.”

The Elf-lord nodded. Cupping Erestor’s face in his hands, he said earnestly, “I love you, Erestor. I do not know what I would ever do without you. You are my strength, my heart and soul.” Leaning down, he captured his mate’s mouth in a fervent kiss.

When they were forced to part for lack of breath, Erestor gazed into Elrond’s sparkling eyes, his heart overflowing with love for his perfect husband. “I love you, Elrond,” he whispered. “So very much. There is not a day that passes that I do not sing my gratefulness to the heavens for your love.” Placing a tender kiss on Elrond’s lips, he said, “Come and rest now. I know you will return to Frodo before many hours have passed, and you must restore your strength. Have no fear, Elrond. You will heal him. I know it in my heart.”

After helping Elrond remove his heavy robe, Erestor held his husband and watched over him as he slept until it was time for him to return to the hobbit. What Erestor said was true: he knew in his heart that neither Estel nor Elrond would fail.

And he was right.