Forbidden by Erandir
Summary: Centuries ago, the men of Numenor were banished from Mirkwood forever, because of the love shared between an elven prince, and the king of men. History is about to repeat itself. When a quest to save the word brings together the prince of Mirkwood, and the king of Gondor. This is their story.
Categories: FPS, FPS > Aragorn/Legolas, FPS > Legolas/Aragorn Characters: Aragorn, Legolas
Type: None
Warning: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 17253 Read: 65145 Published: December 20, 2011 Updated: December 20, 2011

1. Chapter 1 by Erandir

2. Chapter 2 by Erandir

3. Chapter 3 by Erandir

4. Chapter 4. History Lessons by Erandir

5. Chapter 5. Suffer in Silence by Erandir

6. Chapter 6. Hobbit Logic by Erandir

7. Chapter 7. I think I Love you by Erandir

8. Chapter 8. Stay away by Erandir

9. Chapter 9. Hope by Erandir

10. Chapter 10. Heart Hurts by Erandir

11. Chapter 11. Is This Love? by Erandir

12. Chapter 12. Finally by Erandir

13. Chapter 13. Jealousy by Erandir

14. Chapter 14. Beyond Hope by Erandir

15. Chapter 15. Survival by Erandir

16. Chapter 16. The Eve of Battle by Erandir

17. Chapter 17. The Sea by Erandir

Chapter 1 by Erandir
The first man I have ever seen I met today. For now he lives only because he is under the protection of Lord Elrond of Imladris. When he reaches manhood he will no longer be allowed past our borders, but he is still a child, no more than seven.

What they fear is not the mortal, but what might happen if someone of the royal family is allowed to become too close to the mortal. Nay, it is not Estel they fear, even if he were grown, it is me they fear. What it is about me they fear I have yet to comprehend. Would I fall in love with a mortal man and not produce an heir? But could I not just as easily fall in love with an elven man?

Or is it the death of the human they fear? That his death would cause me such grief that I would be taken by it...

They fear my death.

Estel is a kind child, I like him. It saddens me that he will not be able to return after this visit. I could visit him in Imladris, but father would never allow that.




"Legolas!" The blond prince was pulled from his writing as a dark haired human child tumbled into his room.

"Estel," Legolas smiled, "What are you doing?" He knelt down by the child, who sat on the floor.

The boy turned innocent gray eyes on him sadly, "Ada says we have to leave tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" questioned the elf, "I thought you were staying another week, at least."

"That's was Ada said, but he lied," Estel explained, "I don't want to go, Legolas, I like it here."

Legolas smiled sadly at him, the child looked on the brink of tears,

"Perhaps you will be able to visit again," he suggested.

"Could I?"

"Of course," The prince knew he was lying, but he could not bear to see Estel cry. All sign of sadness left the child's features upon hearing the promise, and he threw his arms around Legolas' neck, hugging him tightly.




Father does not even approve of my being friends with a seven-year-old human child. Almost as soon as Lord Elrond, Estel and the twins left he told me I was never to speak to him ever again. I still do not understand what is so horrible about mortal men. Estel is one of the kindest people I have ever met, human or elven.

He turns twenty today, I will never see him again. I have not seen him in many years, almost ten I think.
Chapter 2 by Erandir
Author's Notes:
This fic, from now on... is movie based, it used to be book based, and now it's not, because I know the movie better than the book, and this makes it much easier for me. Sorry last chapter was so short, just a bit of a teaser/prolouge thingie, so you know what's going on. This update is rather quick because I already had part of this chapter written when I posted the last one, the next update won't be so speedy.
After being forbidden from seeing Estel I am now being sent as a messenger to Imladris. Although I suppose I am a fool to hope, or even imagine, that Estel - or Aragorn as he is now called - I am a fool to hope that he would still live there.

It is a bit hard to believe that the child I met all those years ago is destined to become the King of Gondor. He sent me a letter, one I never showed my father, and one I hope he never finds. I got it a few weeks after his twentieth birthday, by the sound of it he was devastated, he said he did not want this, I kind of felt sorry for him. But this is why I am forbidden from seeing him.

Bloody stupid law if you ask me.

Well, I guess if he is there then I cannot speak to him, and if he is not... Then I have nothing to worry about.




The Prince of Mirkwood strode through the halls of Rivendell, so far there had been no sign of the mortal king. What luck.

He leaned against a railing and looked out at the gardens in the valley below. The sun was just setting behind the trees and hills, turning everything a warm golden red. Legolas smiled as he looked out at the breathtaking sight. The prince would always love Mirkwood, it was his home, but Imladris was one of the most beautiful places he had ever been.




Legolas thought he would only be in Rivendell a few days. Arrive, deliver the message, and leave, just like always. But Lord Elrond had other plans. The Lord of Rivendell had called a council, he would not tell the reason, only said it was important, and that Legolas' message could wait until then.

The council would be held in a few days, and Aragorn would be there, along with other men from Gondor.

The last of the blond prince's luck just flew out the window.




He had been stressing about the council for a good three days, but now that Legolas was there he found himself far more relaxed than he thought he would be.

Until he found out why he was there.

The Ring of Power, the One Ring, it had been found, and now it sat on a pedestal before the entire council. A council of elves, men, halflings and, much to Legolas' dismay, dwarves. In his mind dwarves could be almost worse than men, and that was saying something for an elf of Mirkwood.

"'Tis a gift, a gift to the foes of Mordor," Spoke one man, standing as he addressed the council, "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy, let us use it against him."

Aragorn stood abruptly and faced the man, "You cannot wield it, none of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone."

"And what would a mere ranger know of this?" The man said, spitting the word 'ranger' as if it were poison.

"This is no mere ranger, he is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your allegiance," the words had left Legolas' mouth before he knew what he was saying and he immediately regretted it.

The Gondorian man looked to Legolas for a moment, then turned back to Aragorn, "This..." he said, disbelieving, "Is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor," again, the words were spoken before he knew he had said them.

Aragorn's eyes turned to the blond prince, "Havo dad, Legolas." The elf sat swiftly, crossing his arms over his chest as he did so and turning a look of utter contempt on both men.

"Gondor has no king, Gondor needs no king."




And so I find myself on a quest. A quest with Aragorn. And that other man, Boromir I believe his name was. And a dwarf. We leave in a few days, and now I ask myself why, exactly, did I volunter to do this? This is the stupidest thing I have ever done, and I have done some fairly stupid things in my life.

But not this stupid.

I am not permitted to become friends with them, to speak to them. Hell, I am not even supposed to know them. And all would have been well and good if Aragorn had never come to Mirkwood as a child, or if father had not sent me with this message.

I wonder how he will react when he finds out I am journeying to Mordor with two men, a dwarf, four halfling and Mithrandir in order to destroy the One Ring and save the world.

He probably will not care.

He never does.

Or he will be furious... I have know way of knowing.




"Legolas."

The elf did not look up, he did not have to, "Aragorn," he said curtly, acknowledging the man.

The ranger frowned, it seemed odd that the elf would not greet him after so many years, "Is something wrong?"

"Go away, Aragorn."

The man blinked in surprise, "Why?"

Legolas sighed, "You know the laws as well as I do, I cannot speak with you."

"I know the laws, but I do not understand them."

"No one ever said you had to," the prince informed him, "Go away."

"We are not in Mirkwood, Legolas," Aragorn argued angrily, "Your father is not here, ignor the bloody law!"

Legolas spun around to face the man, blond hair flying into his face as he did so, he brushed it aside in annoyance, "Could it have occured to you," he spat, "That I do not wish to ignor said law?!"

Aragorn drew back a step, the elf's face was a mask of anger and hate, "You have changed, Legolas, you are not the elf I knew."

"No, Aragorn, You are the one who has changed," the prince growled, "You are no longer a child, I need not be kind to you, I need not pretend any more!" With that, the blond prince strode off down the coridor angrily, leaving in his wake a very confused and offended future king.
Chapter 3 by Erandir
The fellowship has been traveling for... At least a week, probably more, maybe two or three. I am not really counting.

Maybe this was a mistake. Perhaps I should just go home and forget about the ring, and the quest. I do not even know why I am here. The mountain Caradhras stands before us, and somehow we must cross it. Thankfully, how we do so is not my decision to make.




Aragorn is still attempting to figure out why I do not speak to him. Perhaps I should just tell him, for I hate having to hate him. If Aragorn knew the story behind the law maybe he would understand, maybe then he would leave me alone.

'Tis a worthy plan, I might as well. It could not possibly make matters worse, could it?




And so the elven prince had a plan, and he knew when he would perform said plan. Now all he had to do was pull it off, a task that was proving far more difficult than one would assume. But you know what happens when you assume.

His plan, if you could call it a plan, was to get Aragorn alone, explain to him the reason for the law, and if everything went correctly the man would stop bothering him.

But Aragorn turned out to be a really hard person to get alone. As they traveled the human was locked in conversation, either with Gandalf about the road they would take, or with the others, speaking of nothing in particular. Legolas did not want to ask the man to speak with him, lest he got the wrong impression. That was the last thing Legolas wanted, for Aragorn to think the elf would befriend him.




Legolas still will not speak to me, no matter how much I try he just seems to ignore me. I do not understand why he is acting this way, this is not how he used to be. And I get the feeling he does not want to hate me. He does not act like he hates me, he just does not pay any attention to me. Did that make any sense?

The elf just stands there. He does not sleep, he hardly eats, and he never smiles. Not at all how I remember him.




From where Aragorn sat by the fire he looked over at the blonde elf. Legolas stood at the edge of their camp looking up toward the stars. The moon was full, and the light of it seemed to cause the elf to glow. The ranger smoked leisurely as he watched Legolas, no he wasn't watching, he was staring. He couldn't tear his eyes from the elf, and as Aragorn studied him he realized as if for the first time just how beautiful the elf was. Legolas stood atop a small hillock just inside the firelight. Cerulean eyes traced over constellations and well known stars, but his mind was not focused on these things. He felt as if he was being watched, and he knew by whom. For a while the elf tried to ignore it, but soon enough that became difficult. Finally, Legolas looked over to Aragorn, silently acknowledging the ranger, who immediately looked away.

So the man still had this foolish obsession with him, though Legolas could not imagine why. It was then that the elf decided to tell him. Tell him everything he wished to know of Mirkwood laws and more.

With that decision he strode down the small crest of the hill towards the fire, and sat down next to Aragorn. The man did not look up, but made quite a show of ignoring the elven prince, pulling out his pipe and readying it to smoke. An awkward silence fell over the camp as neither of them spoke.

"Aragorn," Legolas said finally, "There is something I wish to discuss with you."

"I though you could not speak with me," the man snapped, lighting his pipe with the embers from the fire.

Legolas looked down at his lap, "I cannot, but I feel it necessary to explain to you why."

"Oh, I understand perfectly," Aragorn said sarcastically, "You have to hate me because your father is an imbecile, no offense, and has devised this law because he has something against humans."

"I do not hate you Aragorn," The elf replied instantly.

"Then why do you act like this?"

"Because I have to."

The ranger snorted and stated sarcastically, "Of course, how could I have forgotten."

"It is not my choice," the elf replied, growing annoyed with the man's arguing, "If you knew why then perhaps you would understand."

"Then by all means, please enlighten me, oh wise one!" The man encouraged, his sarcastic tone only escalating as the argument grew.

Legolas let out a frustrated sigh, as the man obviously had no intention of listening to him. So this would either just increase the human's annoyance, or lighten it.
Chapter 4. History Lessons by Erandir
Legolas and Aragorn sat in silence by the fire, the man silently fuming, and the elf lost in his thoughts. The elf sighed in frustration. Why had he ever agreed to come in this quest? It was proving more difficult to get along with the other members of the fellowship than to trek across Middle-earth. There was something wrong with that and he knew it. He cast a sidelong glance toward the human sitting next to him, Aragorn. The future king did not seem to want to understand anything Legolas would explain, he was just making things far more complicated than they should have been.

The blond elf stole a glance at Aragorn. The man sat no more than two feet away, and yet that seemed to Legolas an amazingly far gap. His gray eyes looked intencly into the fire before him, pointedly ignoring the elven prince.

Aragorn fumed, the elf was being extremely annoying, at least in his point of view. The ranger knew he was being stubborn, but he did not care. It wasn't his fault he was mortal, and if that meant he could no longer speak to someone who had been one of his closest friends... Well then he could damn well be angry couldn't he?

"It was millennia ago..."

Aragorn blinked. After so long in silence Legolas' sudden comment had startled him.

"The events that caused the banishment of men," Legolas said, explaining his earlier statement. He looked to the ground as he spoke, recalling the stories that had been told to him as a child. "A prince of Mirkwood, heir to the throne, met a human king, and fell in love."

Aragorn looked up now, though it seemed to him that Legolas would probably continue talking even if he did not listen.

"The elf's father saw no harm in this," Legolas continued, "And he allowed his son to go off and live with the man, and so he did. They were happy for a long time, but when the mortal king died the prince's grief was so much that..." the elf paused, "That he was consumed by it, he died. And so his father, grieved and angered by the news of his son's death, forever banished mortal men from his kingdom."

After Legolas finished speaking there was a long silence seeming to last for hours, yet was really only a few moments.

"I... I did not know," Aragorn said softly, and Legolas smiled faintly at him. "But It happened so long ago, surely it is not still relevant."

"My father thinks it is," the elf replied, "for the prince was his uncle."




I get it now. Now it all makes sense. I can see why Legolas' father would not want him to befriend humans. He does not want his son to have the same fate the other prince had.

And yet, I still do not like it. What right does Thranduil have to keep him from befriending us? What right does he have to say that Legolas cannot even speak with me? It is not fair to him, to anyone.

And it should not matter, especially in times like these. During this war he should be allowed to do as he pleases, to help where his help is needed, like in this fellowship. For in times like these the help of all kindred is needed, elves especially. Legolas will put this law out of his mind, I will make sure of it.
End Notes:
Sorry that was kind of short, but I wanted to get the story out, and I couldn't think of anything else really to add to this chapter. The next one should be longer, because we've gotten off the law topic and now Aragorn seems fairly determined to make Leggy break that law. Uh-oh... That could be bad. As always, reviews are needed to feed the muses, and muses are needed to continue writing.
Chapter 5. Suffer in Silence by Erandir
"Aragorn!"

The man was pulled from his thoughts and spun around in time to see the ringbearer lifted into the air by an enormous tentacle. That was not good. He rushed from the mines and toward the water, drawing his sword as he ran. Blindly the ranger hacked at the Watcher. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed two arrows fly past and imbed themselves in the creature's eye. It writhed in pain and lashed out at them, giving Boromir the opportunity to slice at the tentacle holding Frodo. The hobbit fell directly into Aragorn's arms, how handy.

"Into the mines!"

Aragorn was fairly sure that was Gandalf so he followed the order, dropping the ringbearer to his feet and rushing him into the mines. Turning around to make sure the rest followed, the ranger was confronted with the entire wall falling to rubble. He noticed Legolas run past him and suddenly there were hands on his shoulders. Even in the dark he could tell it was the elf as he looked over his shoulder, the faint natural glow that surrounded him made him stand out from the rest of the group, all just darker shadows in the lightless caverns.

His eyes met Legolas' and he froze. The elf was afraid. Really and truly afraid, Aragorn could not believe it. Then a dim light was cast across the area as Gandalf's staff was lit, and Legolas swiftly released Aragorn's shoulders and turned away.




It is dark, it is far too dark. I do not like it, I do not like it at all. I hate this place.

There is no light, no life, no wind. I can barely breathe, for the air is thick with the smell of death. Everything here is dead. I do not like it, I do not think I can stand it. All is death, and cold, and dark. I feel I am suffocating.

I do not think I can stand it any longer. I wish to be out of this horrid place as swiftly as possible. Why did we ever come here?




Legolas sat next to the fire, however small it was it provided him with some form of strength. His knees were pulled up to his chest, his arms wrapped around them. The mines were nothing but torture to the woodland elf. Three days the fellowship would be in the mines, three days of hell for the elf. It had already been one day, if one could call it a day, for the hours could not be counted without seeing the sun rise and set.

The elf's face was set in a mask, he tried to hide the fear and pain, but his eyes showed his feelings, and Aragorn noticed this. Ever since they had entered the mines, since he had seen the look of terror in the elf's eyes, Aragorn had been watching him.

Never when they were in the wild had the blond prince sat so close to their fire, he had always stood just on the edge of the light staring at the trees or the stars, or anything he pleased. Here there was none of that, no stars, no trees, no wind, no grass, no moon, nothing. That is what had Aragorn worried. To keep an elf cut off from nature was essentially to kill him, and the ranger knew that.

He rose slowly so as not to startle the elf, first sitting up and shaking off the last shreds of sleep. Then standing and stretching he looked over to Legolas and found the elf's eyes upon him. The blond prince looked away swiftly, embarrassed at having been caught staring. That only gave Aragorn more inspiration. He walked over to the elf and sat down next to him.

Legolas stared into the fire, trying as best he could to ignore the man next to him. He could not understand why Aragorn seemed so determined to make him break the laws of his father.

"Are you all right?"

The elf looked up upon being addressed, "I am fine," he answered without looking at the ranger.

"You do not look it," Aragorn told him, "You do not like it here, do you?" The elf did not answer, so he continued, "I understand how you feel, I am not as ignorant as you think."

"I do not think you are ignorant," Legolas said defensively, turning to the man.

The ranger looked at him for a moment, "Then I must tell you that you are a horrible liar." The blonde's eyes fell back to the ground. "Something troubles you, Legolas, I can tell," the man paused, waiting to see if the elf would speak. When he did not, Aragorn continued, "I know how this place effects you, I can see it in your eyes. You are afraid."

Legolas shook his head and replied meekly, "I am not afraid."

"You are, though," the man said, "I would gladly give you council, if only you would ask. I want to help you, Legolas."

There was a silence after Aragorn spoke, as there often seemed to be in their conversations. He watched Legolas worriedly, the mines were effecting him, that the ranger could tell, and he truly did want to help the elf, he wanted to befriend him. The silence seemed to stretch for eternity, and Aragorn was about to apologize and leave, when finally the elf spoke up, "It is this place," he said softly, his voice barely above a whisper and he did not look up from the ground, "I do not like it here, it is far too dark, and the air... The air is thick with death, I cannot stand it."




I knew it. Legolas was just to stubborn to admit, but the mines are hurting him. I am not as stupid as he thinks, I know how places like this effect elves, I was raised by them.

And I do feel sorry for him, he should not have to be put through this kind of pain. It is not healthy.




Legolas stiffened almost immediately as he felt an arm drape across his shoulders. He looked up to see Aragorn smiling down at him and blinked. What exactly was the man doing? "A-Aragorn?"

"You do not have to suffer in silence, Legolas," The man told him.

The elf sighed and dropped his chin to his chest once more, "But I do," he said softly. He wished he did not, it was a sign of weakness, and weakness would only hinder this quest. He had to be strong, after all, Mordor would be far worse than this, right? But then again, whatever does not kill you makes you stronger. Legolas sighed again.

Aragorn had not said a word, he simply sat beside the elf with an arm around his shoulders, lending silent support. He was not surprised when Legolas relaxed. He was surprised though when the elf leaned up against him, resting his head on Aragorn's shoulder.
Chapter 6. Hobbit Logic by Erandir
Author's Notes:
I know I said that this chapter would finish Moria, but I decided that nothing really important to the plot line of this fic happens right there, so I skipped it because otherwise this fic will go on forever and never end (it could be a novel, oh, I wonder if I could sell that...). Sorry this update took sooooo long, was gone, and then started writing a novel and got caught up in that.
More running, they were always running it seemed, running from something that is. First orcs, then a Balrog, now orcs again. The company stumbled down the side of the mountains toward the elven forest of Lothlorien that stretched out before them. If they reached it before nightfall they could outrun the orcs and reach safety. If not, well, Aragorn did not want to think about what would happen should they not make it. The ranger glanced behind himself to make sure the others still followed, and they did. Boromir was running in front, only a few paces behind, as was Legolas. The hobbits and Gimli were last, their short legs slowing them down, but they did their best to keep up knowing the consequences should they not.

Since that first night in Moria Legolas and Aragorn had not spoken, at least not at length. The elf seemed to be avoiding Aragorn even more now than before, and the man was rather confused. First the elf avoids him, then befriends him, then avoids him again. Hopefully something would get explained when they got to Lothlorien.


Legolas' heart was lighter now that they were in an Elven realm, he could finally let himself relax for the first time since the company had left Rivendell. Somehow during their journey through the mines he had made friends with the Dwarf, the race did not seem to be as horrible as he had once expected, and at least this was not forbidden by his father.

Now his mind was back on Aragorn, his thoughts seemed to be drifting to the man more often now. The blond prince wanted to be friends with the ranger, he really did, but he also did not want to disobey his father. Knowing his father if he found out his own son had broken a law Legolas could be thrown in the dungeons, disowned, or even banished forever. Needless to say that was not exactly on the prince's 'to do' list.

And if that one night in Moria had told him anything, it was that if he was around Aragorn he would probably have the urge to talk to him. So he avoided the man as much as possible, which was much easier now that he did not have to worry about straying too far from the rest of the fellowship. Yet it was still unimaginably hard.

What is wrong with me? Ai, Elbereth, everything is so complicated now because of Ada. Because he enforces this law so severely I would be punished for even speaking with a human. Come to think of it, why does he despise them so much?

And Aragorn is quite determined to have me betray my father. He seems only encouraged by my actions in the mines, not that I can blame him. I was weak, and now I am ashamed, but I cannot help being afraid of the dark. I only wish that...

"What is wrong?" Legolas was pulled out of his thoughts and looked down the see the young ringbearer standing beneath the tree where he was perched and looking up. The elf made no move to answer and the Hobbit looked concerned, "Something has been bothering you," he observed.

"I am fine, young master Hobbit," The elf said, leaning down slightly, though not enough to hinder his balance on the branch, and smiling to the halfling, "Do not worry yourself with me, your burden is far worse than mine."

Frodo continued to look up at the blond elf, "It is Strider, is it not?" Legolas blinked, by the Valar, let it never be said that halflings were unobservant or slow on the uptake, least not this one. There was a moment of silence, Legolas' smile faded and he sighed. "Would you like to talk?" Frodo questioned.

He slid down from the tree and sat on the ground beside the halfling. There was a moment of silence. Legolas did not particularly want to talk about what was troubling him, but he also did not wish to seem mean to the halfling. Frodo seemed also to understand the elf's unwillingness to talk. As the somewhat awkward silence hovered about them the hobbit sat down beside him and waited for the blond prince to say whatever he wished. It took another few moments before Legolas had gathered the courage, and the right words to say what he wished.

"You are right... It is Aragorn," the elf said with a sigh, "I do not understand why he tries so hard to befriend me. He knows very well I would betray my father by doing so."

"Do you want to befriend him as well?" The question was asked softly, almost hesitantly, and Legolas answered with the same nervousness.

"Yes."

"Then why do you care what your father thinks?" Frodo asked, standing up once more, "Do whatever you think is right," The halfling smiled once more before turning and heading back to the camp.

Legolas remained where he sat for a long while afterward. Was Frodo right? Had not Aragorn said himself that he thought the law to be foolish and outdated? Did not Legolas hate it as well? For years it had kept him from the human, who he had thought of as a trusted friend. The elven prince wanted to ignore the law but he was afraid of what would happen to him if his father should find out. The elven king was known far and wide for his temper. Could Legolas risk being banished forever from the once place he called home? Maybe, just maybe.
End Notes:
Three cheers for Frodo's cameo! Huzzah! Ok, right, the hobbit everyone loves has had lines, now the world is at peace. Not to mention he was rather helpful in getting our dear, beloved, stubborn prince to show some emotion towards our wonderfully scruffy soon-to-be king. The plot progresses forward.
Chapter 7. I think I Love you by Erandir
Author's Notes:
Terribly sorry for the sever lack of updation in this little fic. The also rather sever lack of reviews might have something to do with this looks accusingly at readers I've also begun to notice that Legolas seems horribly out of character, I'll try to fix that, unless no one has a problem with it that is, then it can stay that way. He should start acting more himself eventually doesn't want to give away story.
Legolas was nervous, unbelievably nervous, perhaps more nervous than he had been in his whole life. It seemed strange to him that the cause of his nervousness was so small a thing as speaking. After the conversation he had had with Frodo, the blond elf had remained by himself for a very long time, contemplating the truth in the hobbit's words. In the end he kept coming to the same conclusion, he was going to have to speak with Aragorn. Still it confused Legolas that it should cause him such apprehension.

At the moment, the elf paced back and forth just outside the clearing where the Fellowship was being housed for the duration of their stay in the Golden Wood. He raked his brain for what to say to the ranger, everything he went over in his mind just sounded stupid, and it just kept getting worse. With a dejected sigh he stopped and looked up through the branches to the blue sky, how could he have come to this?

"Legolas?" The elf prince jumped in surprise and spun around. "I am sorry, I did not mean to frighten you."

"Aragorn..." Legolas stuttered and looked away, "'Tis fine, I just did not hear you approach."

The man nodded, though something in his expression said he did not quite believe the excuse, "Frodo said you wished to speak with me."

Legolas blinked, why would Frodo tell him that? He had never mentioned to the hobbit that he was actually going to speak to Aragorn. Actually, he had not even admitted it to himself, but now it seemed he was forced to. "I... uh..." he hesitated, what was he supposed to say? "I wanted to.. uh... apologize... for the way I have been acting toward you, it has been unkind." There, that sounded good, right?

"You need not apologize, Legolas," Aragorn replied, smiling faintly, though it seemed to Legolas not genuine, but almost bitter "I understand your wish not to disobey your father's orders."

The obvious biting tone hurt and Legolas spoke without thinking, "I have been thinking," the blond prince began, "Maybe you are right, maybe it is pointless, outdated. Besides, we are at war, many laws are broken for the sake of freedom."

Well, that was a change. One moment he's at my throat about having to uphold his father's law, the next he completely abandons it? This cannot be what he really believes, can it? Or has his chat with Frodo finally shown him the light? Well whatever caused this sudden change of heart, I am not complaining. Perhaps now things can go back to how they were before, when I was a child.

Aragorn smiled, "I am glad you feel that way, it would have been hard to go through this quest being unable to speak to you." Legolas nodded but said nothing and the two stood there in silence for a long moment, regarding each other. After a long moment Aragorn looked away, "I should.... uh... get back to the Fellowship." Legolas nodded again and his eyes fell to the ground, a slight blush tinting his cheeks.

"I am glad we had this talk, Aragorn."

The man smiled, "As am I."




The next days in Lothlorien went much smoother. Though the elf spent little time amongst his companions the tension between Aragorn and Legolas had lessened, making the whole Fellowship seem more relaxed. Both elf and man were also glad to have the issue worked out, it was a great weight off their mind, but with the newfound friendship they had unwittingly created a bigger problem, and a greater tension between them.

Legolas on the lowest branch of a tree near the Fellowship's camp staring up at the sky through leaves, one leg stretched out along the branch the other dangling below. He smiled, all thought of the ring and Sauron momentarily out of his mind as he enjoyed the peace of the forest. The peace that was shattered a moment latter as he nearly fell from the tree when someone tugged unexpectedly at his foot. The blond prince grasped onto the branch beside him to steady himself and panted softly after his heart skipped a beat.

He looked down to see who had startled him so only to find Aragorn staring up at him, smiling sheepishly. "Sorry," The man said, obviously embarrassed, "I did not mean to frighten you."

The elf nodded as his breathing returned to normal and he slowly released the branch he had been holding, realizing now, at the sight of white knuckles, just how tight his grip had been. "You seem to be doing that a lot lately," he replied, his voice still slightly shaky.

"And for that I apologize," The ranger said again, "I have never known you to be caught off guard as much as you seem to be lately. Does something trouble you?"

There was a short moment of silence as Legolas considered his answer, "I am fine, just thinking."

"About what?"

"Nothing important," Legolas smiled back down at Aragorn briefly before looking up toward the sky again.




Valar he is beautiful. I know not how I did not see it before, but he outshines the stars. I feel a stirring in my heart I have not felt since I was a boy living in Rivendell. Come to think of it, the last time I felt this way... It was toward Legolas. I did not understand it then, but I do now. I think I am in love.

I am in love.

I am in love with Legolas.

This is not right, I should not feel this way, not toward him. He is... He is. He would never feel that way toward me anyway so it does not matter. And even if he did, what would his father think? His father would tear us apart or worse. No, it is best I do not act on this, only harm can come of it.

Dear Valar I wish I could. He is gorgeous.

But he is an elf, and an elf would never bind himself to a mortal. It can only mean death for them, and I would not bring that upon him. I would never bring that upon him. And I cannot see him bringing it upon himself; he deserves a full life. To enjoy his time in Middle-Earth and then to sail West with his kin.

I will not deny him that. Even if he does feel for me.

Which I highly doubt anyway.
Chapter 8. Stay away by Erandir
Author's Notes:
Again, sorry updates take so long. I'm just now finishing up with the school musical, which takes months out of my social life and leaves me with little to no free time. And then there's the writer's block, which hits me at the beginning of every chapter. Hopefully things will go smoother from now on. And as always, thanks bunches to my loyal reviewers, you inspire me to update, because I won't if I don't think anyone is reading.
The fellowship's days in Lothlorien grew swiftly to weeks, which grew longer and longer as one by one they stopped counting the days. Each day drawled on just like the one before, with little to do but enjoy oneself. It was a nice life, but left many wondering when they would leave the golden wood and continue their journey. In particular Legolas was worried, he wanted the quest to be over with so he could return to Mirkwood and no longer have to worry about a certain human.

Since their truce, Aragorn had attempted to grow closer and closer to Legolas, who was rather uncomfortable with the whole idea. And more and more often Legolas found the man's eyes upon him, swift glances he supposed the elf wound not notice, and lingering stares when he thought Legolas was not looking. It was disquieting, and made the elf want to leave the woods as soon as it was possible just to be rid of the constant attention.

As the looks grew more frequent, so did Aragorn's attempts at closer friendship. Legolas could understand why he had wanted it to begin with, trust was essential if their quest was to succeed; but did it need to go this far?

Legolas sighed as he heard the man approach. He would arrive in a matter of moments. The elf looked up from the unfinished crown of flowers in his lap and stared hard at the man as he walked closer. "What do you want?"

The man looked almost offended at the elf's harsh tone, "Only to speak with you," he said, "Is that a crime?"

"Actually it is."

Aragorn looked down, realizing his mistake and embarrassed by the slip up, "I apologize," he muttered, "But there was a matter I wished to discuss with you."

"And what is it?" Legolas asked, his voice void of any emotion, "I am rather in the middle of something."

The ranger eyed the crown of flowers that Legolas held up for his inspection, "You may continue that while we speak if you want." Legolas raised an eyebrow but made no comment so Aragorn continued, "I wish to speak with you about our departure from the golden wood."

"Ah, yes, I too have wondered when that would come about," the elf stated sarcastically, almost scathingly. Aragorn inwardly winced at the tone.

"Do you know how long we have been here?"

Legolas began working on the flower crown once more, "I would venture to guess near a month."

"That is what I supposed as well," Aragorn agreed, "Though I lost count of the days, but however long it is the quest has been delayed too long. We must continue soon."

"I agree wholeheartedly Aragorn, but why do you need to speak with me on this matter? You are leading us now."

The man looked down again, "I suppose... I suppose I wanted to assure myself that I was making the right decision," he answered lamely.

Legolas nodded in understanding, "If you wish I will inform the Lord and Lady of our plans to depart."

"No, that is fine, I shall, it is my duty as leader after all," Aragorn said, but made no move to do so. He remained rooted to the spot he stood, eyes fixed on the elf before him.

His gaze made Legolas uneasy. The ranger was now staring unabashedly at him, eyes running up and down his form, knowing full well that the blond elf was aware of it. Why did the man stare at him so? As though Legolas were some mythical being to be wondered at. He fidgeted nervously under Aragorn's gray eyed stare, wondering when the man would leave.

But he did not leave.

"Is there something else I can do for you?" Legolas asked nervously.

"Actually there is."

The answer Legolas had been dreading, he looked up to see Aragorn advancing on him, a strange look in his eyes. Legolas put the flower crow on the ground beside him and stood up cautiously, "What is it?" The man made no response, but continued to advance on Legolas, forcing the elf to back up warily, "Aragorn?" he asked, a slight fear in his voice.

"There's something I want you to do," Aragorn said mysteriously, reaching out a hand toward the elf.

Legolas took a step back, only to find his back pressed against a tree. His eyes darted about the area, looking for a means of escape if he should need one. "What is it?" he asked again. Aragorn did not speak, but reached up to cup Legolas' cheek. The action caused a jolt to run down the elf's spine, making him shiver slightly. The man smirked slightly and caressed the elf's cheek with his thumb, watching his companions strange reaction. Legolas first made to pull away, but as the warmth of the ranger's hand spread through his body he found himself leaning into the touch. "Aragorn," he asked fearfully, "What are you doing? What is it you want me to do?"

"Do not worry, it is nothing you would not want."

That statement worried Legolas even more, "Aragorn, what are you talking about?"

In response the man pressed his lips softly to Legolas', but the elf pushed him back fearfully, "What are you doing?" he asked, looking confused, scared, and disgusted, "What is wrong with you?"

"Noting is wrong," the ranger said, smiling, "You have no idea how long I have wanted to do that."

"Aragorn, you are not yourself."

"I assure you I am very much myself," Aragorn argued, "Just now I am brave enough to show it. I love you, Legolas."

The elf gasped, shocked by the words, and Aragorn seized the opportunity. He pressed his mouth swiftly to Legolas', before the elf had time to react, and slipped his tongue into the sweet cavern. Legolas struggled violently against the intrusion, pushing back against Aragorn's chest with all his might, but the man grabbed onto his wrists and merely pushed them away as he continued to plunder the elf's mouth. Legolas struggled more violently until finally Aragorn pulled back from the kiss and smirked at him. "What are you doing?" Legolas growled in a most un-elf-like manner, "Let go of me this instant!"

"Why do you deny yourself something you so obviously want?" Aragorn asked, moving to press kisses along the elf's jaw.

"I do not want this," Legolas argued, "Stop it and release me," he demanded, though his struggles lessened and he tilted his head up slightly. Aragorn only smirked and continued his ministrations, placing a kiss at the tip of Legolas' pointed ear, watching contentedly as the elf shuddered in pleasure.

"You do not want it?" Aragorn asked skeptically as he continued down the elf's neck, releasing his wrists as he tugged at the clasps on Legolas' tunic.

But still the elf struggled weakly, "Aragorn you are not yourself," he insisted, "You are not thinking straight, this is wrong. Do not do this Aragorn." By now the man had Legolas' shirt unclasped and open, revealing the pale skin of his perfectly sculpted chest. Aragorn ran his hands down Legolas' chest, watching as the elf sucked in a breath sharply. The hands that had been pushing at Aragorn shoulders fell to his forearms, ceasing their struggles. "Please Aragorn, stop, this is wrong, do not-" He gasped sharply as the man captured one of his nipples in his mouth, "Valar..." he breathed, arching into the feeling.

Aragorn smirked, "Still do not want this?"

"Oh, Valar... Aragorn..."




They lay together in the aftermath, a tangled heap of arms and legs, hard to tell where one ended and the other began. Legolas sighed contentedly, his head resting atop Aragorn's chest as the man absentmindedly played with his golden hair. He closed his eyes, listening to the soothing sound of his new lover's heartbeat. Everything was perfect at that moment, he wished it could be this was forever.

But then he remembered.

The elf bolted upright, pulling himself out of Aragorn's arms and sitting perfectly straight, a look of sheer terror on his face.

Aragorn's brow furrowed in confusion, "Legolas?"

"What have I done?" the elf asked, his voice barely above a whisper. His eyes darted fearfully about the clearing as if the surrounding trees would give him an answer, "What have I done?"

"Legolas?" Aragorn sat up as well, feeling a growing worry at the elf's strange behavior. But when he reached out to take Legolas back into his arms the elf pulled away, blue eyes wide with fear as he scrambled back.

"No, no stay back," Legolas warned, holding a hand out in front of his chest, "Do not come near me Aragorn," he said, scrambling to where their clothes had been discarded carelessly.

"Legolas, what is wrong?" Aragorn asked in growing confusion. He watched as his lover dressed, all the while casting fear filled glances in his direction, and wished desperately that he could hold the elf in his arms and sooth away his fear.

"This was wrong Aragorn, it never should have happened. Please, just... Stay away from me," the golden prince all but begged as he picked up his boots and tunic and fled into the forest.
End Notes:
I'm not entirely happy with this chapter. It defies the writing style of the whole story, no looking into the character's minds in this one. Oh well, You get what you get. Tell me what you think, and remember, reviews give fuel to the muses.
Chapter 9. Hope by Erandir
Author's Notes:
Going back to the old writing style with this one. ^^;;
What have I done?

I should not have done that, I feel horrible now. He trusted me, as a friend. Did I need him that much? What was I thinking? I... I... Seduced him. No, no seduced is not a good word, it sounds bad. But then again, what I did was bad. At the time he may have consented, but now I know he regrets it. He is never going to trust me again. I all but forced myself upon him.

I should go and apologize... But he told me to stay away. He told me never to talk to him again. Not to touch him again.

What am I going to do?




Aragorn's heart nearly broke at the thought of never being able to touch his beloved elf ever again. To be forbidden from touching him, holding him, loving him.

The man let out a heartbroken sigh and hit his head against the tree behind him, he had been such a fool. He had completely ruined everything he had worked so hard to earn, Legolas' friendship, his trust... His love.

His love?

Did Legolas even love him back? Or had he simply lost his mind in a moment of passion? Like Aragorn had. The ranger sighed again, it was hopeless, Legolas would never even look at him again let alone give Aragorn a chance to prove his love.

He brought a hand up to his head and rubbed his temples. He should at least talk to him, apologize, explain himself. Aragorn nodded, yes, that's what he would do, explain himself. But what was there to explain? He loved Legolas more than he had thought it possible to love anyone. So far he was not doing a good job of showing it, so why would Legolas believe him now?

But he had to at least try.




"Legolas?"

The elf looked up and gasped. He scrambled to his feet swiftly, reaching a hand out in front of him as Aragorn approached, "I told you to stay away from me," he said, his voice almost panicked.

The man froze instantly, not wanting to offend the elf any more than he already had. "I just wanted to apologize," he said, bowing his head to look at the leaves beneath his feet. "I do not know what I was thinking, and I realize now I should not have coerced you into it." He chanced a look up a the elf who stood as far away from him as possible. "I understand if you no longer wish to see me. You have every reason to hate me now after what I did last night, but I ask you one thing..."

Legolas looked at him suspiciously, remembering vividly what had happened the last time Aragorn had asked something of him, "What?"

Aragorn took a deep breath before continuing, "I ask you only to realize that I was not myself last night, but still, I love you with all my heart. I know what I did was wrong, but Legolas, please understand that I love you more than I thought possible," He paused, waiting to see if the elven prince would say anything, when he did not Aragorn spoke again. "I would hold no grudge against you if you chose to discontinue the quest from this point. It would not be dishonorable for you to remain here, or return to your home. Your father need never know of this, I will tell no one. I understand completely if you no longer trust me. Your choice is your own, but if you wish to continue with us, we will be leaving on the morrow."

With that said, the man bowed slightly to Legolas and left him, never expecting to see him again.

So, needless to say Aragorn was surprised to see Legolas waiting with the rest of the fellowship the next day as they bid farewell to the Lord and Lady of the Golden Wood.

The elf stood by the boats, speaking amiably with the hobbits as they packed their belongings for the downriver journey. He looked up as Aragorn approached the river where the boats waited. Their eyes met, and for an instant the ranger thought he saw something there, not hate, nor fear; but Legolas turned away before Aragorn had a chance to identify it.

The rest of the day left Aragorn constantly wondering why the elf continued to travel with them. Legolas had volunteered for the quest, but had every right to leave if he wished. The man dared not even think that perhaps Legolas wished to continue because of him, it was a foolish hope. Be that as it may, he could not help but hope, and it was not until that night that he spoke with the elf again.

He had just had a rather disconcerting conversation with Boromir about the direction of the quest. Aragorn now sat at the bank of the river staring blankly as the moonlight reflected off the dark waters. He did not even notice the elf's approach until Legolas sat down next to him. He looked over at the elf in surprise as he sat down.

"I pledged myself to the quest Aragorn," the prince said, his eyes never resting on the man beside him, "I cannot leave until it is finished, no matter what you say." There was a long silence as both stared out at the open water, then Legolas spoke again, "My father will never hear of this, he will kill you and disown me if he does. All the same, I will never forget it," he turned and placed a chaste kiss on the ranger's stubbled cheek, stood and left.

Aragorn froze for a long moment, and by the time he regained control of his mind to look after the elf he was gone. He blinked once before a grin spread slowly across his face. There was hope.
Chapter 10. Heart Hurts by Erandir
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long period between updates, the story will progress slower because I now have absolutely nothing planned plot-wise until Helm's Deep, and there's a hell of a lot of time in between then and now, so this could take a while.
Aragorn spent the entire next day's trip, every second he could spare, with his eyes glued to the blond elf's back as they traveled down the river. Though the elf's words had been unclear, the ranger had a pretty good idea of what he had meant.... He loves me back. He has not outright told me, but I know it is true. Why else would he act this way? Shun me one moment love me the next? He says he fears his father's reaction, that is his excuse for everything. Legolas is an adult, he should be able to make his own decisions, Thranduil should not dictate his life. If he loves me he should act on it... If not then... Then he should tell me, and not play with my heart this way.

Or maybe he is scared because... Aragorn shook his head. No, the spark of hope had been lit, and he would not let it burn out.The fellowship camped that night on the banks of the Anduin for the last time, in the morning they would cross the river and head East toward Mordor. It was not something any of them looked forward to. As the hobbits set about making camp Aragorn hauled the boats up onto the shore and looked to the Eastern bank, mentally preparing for the next day's journey.

"Aragorn." The man looked up, pulled from his thoughts by the familiar voice. Legolas stood further toward the trees, looking over his shoulder at the ranger. Aragorn headed over to his side, concerned about the worried look on the elf's face. "Aragorn I do not think we should stay here."

"We have no other choice," Aragorn replied, confused by the elf's words, "Orcs will be patrolling the Eastern shore."

"It is not the Eastern shore that worries me, Aragorn," the elf continued, meeting Aragorn's eye with a troubled expression, "A shadow and a threat have been growing on my mind."

Aragorn opened his mouth to reply, but before he could Sam noticed, "Mr. Frodo?" the gardener looked about worriedly for his master, who was nowhere in sight. Aragorn looked around as well and was the first one to notice that Boromir was gone as well. So this is it, this is what we have come to. Frodo gone and Boromir... dead. Before this quest I did not know death would be so painful, but maybe it is not Boromir's death that is making me feel this way. Maybe it is the way that Aragorn crouches above him, speaking to him softly as the man of Gondor breathes his last. Maybe it is because he kissed his brow when he was gone.

He kissed me like that once... "You mean not to follow."

It was more a statement than a question, and Aragorn knew better than to answer it as he strapped on his weapons. Frodo and Sam would have to make it to Mordor alone, right now Merry and Pippin needed them more. He looked up to Gimli and Legolas, his eyes meeting the elf's for a brief second, and in that second he all but lay his heart on the floor. Still weary from battle the three hunters would set off to find the last of their companions. The ones who could be saved.

"We shall make such a chase as shall be accounted a marvel among the Three Kindreds; Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Forth the three hunters!"
End Notes:
Had to put that last quote in there from the book, I'm a purist at heart I think. Well there you have it, the end of FotR, next chapter we shall move on to TTT, hope you have enjoyed the journey thus far. Review.
Chapter 11. Is This Love? by Erandir
Author's Notes:
Again, sorry for the long wait for this chapter, and again, I still have absolutely nothing planned up 'till... Well... I have a vague idea for something in Edoras, but nothing solid until Aragorn falls off that cliff. I need help, please help. I have to say though, considering I pulled both this chapter and the previous one out of my arse... They are surprisingly good. Ah, the things you learn in religion class - how to completely BS your writing. The three hunters had been running for days; days and days and days, and nights too, with very little rest and still they were not gaining on the Uruk-hai. In fact, it seemed the creatures were even drawing further away. They ran as though their very lives depended on it, and perhaps they did. Who knows what Saruman would hold in store for them when he found out that the Halflings brought to him did not carry the ring. It was something neither Elf, nor Dwarf, nor Man wanted to think about for too long.
It was on one of their all-too-rare stops that Gimli began to notice something was wrong. The Dwarf woke in the middle of the night to find Legolas sitting at the edge of their campsite merely staring up into the stars. Judging by the position of the moon it was well past midnight, and yet the Elf had taken first watch. Gimli glanced over at Aragorn's bedroll, but the Man was still asleep. Legolas was supposed to wake him for his watch hours ago. Confused, and slightly concerned, Gimli forced himself up and trudged over to his Elven friend.

"Elf," He called, as neither of them ever called each other by their actual names, "What are you doing?"

"I am standing watch, master Dwarf," The Elf answered without turning around, "I would think that rather obvious."

Gimli huffed as he came to stand beside his friend, "I can see that, but you were supposed to wake Aragorn hours ago."

"Was I?" Legolas questioned, looking over at the moon, "I must have lost track of the time."

"I can see that. Well, go wake him now, he will be furious with you if he finds out you took his watch."

Legolas looked past his Dwarven companion to where the Man slept still, huddled amongst his blankets to help ward off the chill night air. The two had not spoken often after the incident in 'Lorien, but since the chase had started they had not exchanged a single word. It was almost as though Legolas was afraid to. He was afraid what he would do, what he would say, and so he spoke as little as possible. Of course, he had not spoken that much to begin with, and so Gimli thought nothing of it. Until now. At the thought of having to wake Aragorn, having to interact with him, a look of uncertainty crossed his face. The Elf was worried again. Worried, afraid, and confused.

For a long while Legolas merely stared at the man, and then he simply turned away, looking back at the stars. Gimli raised an eyebrow questioningly, a look that the Elf failed to notice once his back was turned. "Fine then, I will wake him," The Dwarf resigned, turning and heading away muttering, "Crazy Elf." I do not understand these emotions that plague me. Why am I so reluctant to go to Aragorn. I forgave him for what happened in Lorien because... Because I enjoyed it. Because he was gentle with me, he was kind and loving; and yet passionate at the same time. And I have never known that before. I have had male lovers before... Well, a male lover. I thought I loved him, but with Aragorn... With Aragorn it is different. I have never felt this way before. It is something I cannot explain, something far stronger than anything I have ever felt before.

I know that if he were and Elf I would not hesitate to throw myself into his arms and claim him as my own. But I cannot.

Adar would kill me. Or worse: He would kill Aragorn.

I do not think I could stand that.

Every time he is in danger I feel my heart lurch, and my chest tighten in worry. My stomach ties itself in knots as I continually worry for his safety. Only when the battle is over, and I see him alive and well, can I relax once more. When he is hurt I want to soothe him, when he is sad I want to comfort him, when he is in danger I want to protect him.

Is this was love is supposed to feel like?

And if it is, what am I supposed to do? I cannot love him.

Ai! Fate, why do you conspire against me! Do I reject Aragorn and go on with my life, forever holding an unrequited love? Or do I go to him, and risk my father's rage; possibly losing him forever?

Whichever way I chose I am bound to grief.

Yet, depending on which way I choose that grief could be lessened.

No. I already know what it is like to be with him, to lie with him, to be held in his arms. I already know what it is like to love him. I may as well resign myself to my fate. I cannot reject a love I know I want, and I know he wants. I am bound to grief no matter what I choose. So I may as well chose to have some joy until the time when we are torn apart. I may as well let myself love him.

Who am I kidding? I already love him. It happened a long time ago; I do not know how, or when. But I have always loved him. I was just too afraid to admit it to myself.

Well, not anymore.

I am in love with Aragorn.
End Notes:
End Notes: That's short, I'm sorry. But you guys did say update faster, so be happy with what you are getting. The plot of this is being written as we speak, meaning, I don't know what's going to happen until it happens. This is so short because when I got to the end of Legolas' monologue, it was such a finite ending point that I couldn't write any more after it. It made a good chapter ending. Aragorn loves Legolas, Legolas loves Aragorn; this is established now. All we need, is for them to get together. This is the hard part. This I have not yet figured out. Hmm... Help?
Chapter 12. Finally by Erandir
Author's Notes:
Another chapter I pulled out of my arse. No thanks to you guys. I ask for help and what do I get? Two reviews, both saying 'UPDATE FASTER!' I thought I explained why this was not possible. 'Help' does not mean: 'I kind of have an idea, maybe I can make it work', it means: 'I don't know what the hell I'm doing!' Email me, review for me, tell me what YOU think is going to happen next. Hey, maybe I'll even like what you have to say and it WILL happen. Exciting. It's just like one of those choose your own ending books from like 2nd grade. Sorry if that sounded as though I was bitching at you guys, you know I love you.


On a lighter note. I have received notice that this fic has actually corrupted someone into the world of slash! That is the biggest compliment that I could have ever received! Wow, thank you to whomever wrote that review, I will love you until the day I die!
As the days went on Gimli watched the interaction between his two companions. Or lack thereof. He had noticed Aragorn attempt to speak to Legolas on a few occasions, but the Elf would avoid him like the plague. There was obvious tension between the two, tension that was not doing them any good on their quest. The day before they had encountered Eomer, Marshal of the Mark, and now camped under the boughs of Fangorn Forest. Gimli himself was tense in this place, but the energy that flowed between Aragorn and Legolas was not the same kind of tension.

It seemed to the Dwarf that every time the two looked at each other a visible spark traveled between their eyes, and then they would look away again. They would not speak to each other, though it seemed more that Legolas was not speaking, for though Aragorn would try often the Elf always shunned his advances.

Gimli was growing frustrated.

Either his two friend did not realize what was going on between them (highly unlikely) or they were too shy to admit they had feeling toward each other. This last option was probably the most likely. For though they tried to hide their feelings, it was obvious to anyone who cared to look. And Gimli cared to look.

They could not go on like this, Gimli could not go on like this. Sometimes the silence between them was so thick it could be cut with a knife. He had to fix this, he had to make them realize what fools they were being.

Gimli's task proved harder than expected.

His original plan had been to talk to each of his companions separately to find out if either of them knew what was going on between them. This plan had failed before it even began. He had spoken to Legolas first, and though he had tried to be subtle the Elf had only given him cryptic answers and strange looks. It was not helping, so he gave up. Now he needed a new plan.

Gimli's new plan was to smack them both over the head and tell them to figure out what the problem was, since the subtle approach had not been working. Or maybe he would just lock them in a room together. The latter was a bit harder as he did not have a room at the moment. Although there were trees. Lots and lots of trees. Too many trees. The Elf liked the trees, though, so at the moment Gimli was willing to give the both of them a break (seeing as the trees did not seem to like him very much, and it might not be good to make the Elf angry, because then the trees would know it was his fault, and then they would attack him. Wait, that did not make any sense.).

So, Gimli's plan could not progress further. He would just have to wait until they were somewhere they could be locked in a room. This proved to be sooner than expected.

Not long after the three hunters had entered Fangorn Forest, following the tracks of Merry and Pippin, they stumbled upon Gandalf. At first the Maia's changed appearance had made them fear he was Saruman, but fortunately they were wrong, and now they were headed back across the plains in the direction of Edoras.

They arrived in the city after two days of uneventful travel to find that Eomer's words had been true. The king's mind was poisoned, but all that had been remedied now thanks to Gandalf. The remaining members of the Fellowship had been given rooms for the duration of their stay. Unfortunately there had only been three rooms, and before Legolas had been able speak up and offer to share with Gimli, Aragorn had claimed that they would room together. Much to the Elf's chagrin. "Why do you keep doing this, Aragorn?" Legolas demanded as soon as the two were alone.

"Doing what?" The man asked, beginning to pull off all unnecessary articles of clothing.

"Do not play innocent with me, Aragorn. You know of what I speak."

The ranger sighed and turned to his companion, "Did Gimli's words completely elude you?" He asked in exasperation, "This problem is not our own anymore, it is effecting how we fight. If Gimli has noticed it is likely that Gandalf has as well. We cannot go on like this."

Legolas turned away. Aragorn was right, and he had decided that he was not going to deny his feelings any longer. "I know," He muttered, "But I am afraid."

"Afraid of what?"

"Of my father," The Elf answered, "You know what will happen if he finds out about us."

"I was not aware that there was an 'us'," Aragorn replied, a hopeful note in his voice.

Legolas looked up again, and was surprised to find Aragorn standing only a single pace away from him. He was close enough that the prince could reach out and touch him. It was closer than they had been since that night in 'Lorien. "You are right," he said softly, barely loud enough for the man to hear, "We cannot go on like this. I cannot go on like this." A sigh escaped his lips, and he looked away again, "I told myself not to deny my feelings for you, but it has only made things harder. I want to love you Aragorn, but I-"

The blond Elf stopped abruptly as his companion's fingers suddenly touched his lips. He looked up to meet Aragorn's eyes, finding that the man had closed the gap between them, and stood now mere inches from Legolas. "You say you want to love me," he murmured, "So let yourself."

"But my father-"

"Never has to find out," the ranger interrupted, though there was a hint of sadness in his voice, "You said yourself that things change during times of war, that laws are broken for the greater good. So break this one, Legolas."

"I-" Legolas began breathlessly, staring up at Aragorn in hesitation. His voice stopped suddenly, and he reached up a hand to stroke the man's cheek. He met his companion's eyes, and saw nothing but love in them. A faint smile crossed his lips then, "I... I love you."

And then Aragorn's lips were on his; warm and gentle, not demanding as they were in Lothlorien. The man's arms wrapped around his waist, and Legolas melted into the strong embrace. This was right. Every fiber of his being told him that this was right, told him that he belonged in Aragorn's arms, and that he should never leave them again. Finally.

Finally he is in my arms, and I can have him forever. I have waited so long for this moment, and I cannot believe I did not realize it soon. I belong here. I belong with him, in his arms and in his heart. They say rules were meant to be broken, and I could not agree more.

I love him.

And Adar be damned if you try and tear us apart.
Chapter 13. Jealousy by Erandir
Author's Notes:
People requested a lemon for this chapter, and I thought about it, and I started writing it. Then I realized it was not relevant to the plot, and would just make the fic drag on forever (and it has been dragging on long enough). However, I do promise you one after Helm's Deep. Cross my heart and hope to die. You'll see why I could not put one in this chapter, even if it had been a continuation of the last chapter. If you're looking for a lemon go read 'Aphrodisiac' on size=1 width=100% noshade>Who does she think she is? Fawning over Aragorn like that. Can she not see that he shows no interest in her? Does she truly believe that she has a chance with him? She does not. Though, I admit, Aragorn does nothing to spurn her advances. I do not believe he is ignorant to them, but if this continues then she will get the wrong idea. I cannot let that happen.
I am jealous...

I know I should not be, but I am.

Aragorn wants to keep our relationship hidden, at least for now, and I agree. We both know that it may well fall apart when he takes the throne. I do not want it to, I do not want to leave him, but I will likely have to. I either have to give up him, or abandon my people. I doubt I will make Adar understand. That is a decision I do not wish to make.

Still, that does not give Aragorn the right to lead her on... Especially while I am here. "What was that all about?"

Aragorn looked up in confusion as he entered the room he shared with Legolas. His lover stood before him, glaring at Aragorn with his hands on his hips. "What?"

"Do not play innocent with me, Aragorn, you know of what I speak."

"You mean Eowyn?" Aragorn asked.

"Who else?" Legolas asked accusingly, "Why do you lead her on?"

"I have done no such thing," Aragorn was taken aback, "You know I have no interest in her."

"Do you? You have given no indication of that, I doubt she knows!"

"I have made no move to return her advances," Aragorn said defensively.

"You have made no move to spurn them either!"

"Legolas..." the man stepped forward and took his lover's face in his hands, staring into the Elf's blue eyes, "You have nothing to be jealous over. I have no interest in Eowyn, she will figure that out soon enough."

The Elf was nearly crying with frustration at this point, "And what if she does not?" he demanded.

"I will make sure of it," Aragorn vowed, pressing his lips to Legolas' briefly, "You have nothing to worry about."

Legolas pulled away from Aragorn's grasp, "Then make sure of it. There is enough doubt in my life without have to be jealous as well." With that he brushed past his lover and out the door. Aragorn stared after him in confusion, he had thought these fights would stop after they had admitted their feelings, he was wrong. Legolas stormed out of the Meduseld, he would not let his anger show however, he would never let his feeling show. He moved to the far corner of the stone porch and stood staring out across he plains. Needless to say he had never been quite comfortable in this city, especially since he seemed so out of place. He wanted to leave, but Aragorn was determined to help the people here, and he would not leave his lover's side.

Yet since before they had become lovers Legolas had had his doubts.

"Oi, crazy Elf." Legolas looked over his shoulder to see Gimli approaching. "What are ye doin' out here all by yourself?"

"Aragorn and I had a fight," the Elf answered.

"Again?"

He could not help but smile faintly at that, "No, this was not like before."

"A lover's spat, then?"

Legolas blushed faintly and turned away, "Aye, you could say that. I fear I am jealous of the Lady Eowyn, Aragorn shows her more affection than he does me."

"But Aragorn does not love her, that is clear enough," Gimli reasoned, "And have you both not agreed to keep your relationship quiet?"

"We have," Legolas said with a resigned sigh, "But I cannot help being jealous. Gimli... I cannot stay with him forever. He will be king one day, and he will need an heir. I... I cannot give him that."

The Dwarf nodded sagely and looked up at his odd companion, "Have you told him this?"

"We have never spoken of it," Legolas admitted sheepishly, "But he knows I cannot have children."

"I would think that obvious," Gimli said dryly, "Unless there is something you are not telling me."

The Elf could not help but smile, "Nay," he said softly.

"Then you should speak to Aragorn about this, he will want to know."

"You are right, Gimli. Thank you."

"Any time, crazy Elf." This should not make me so nervous. I am just going to tell him things he already knows. Maybe I am afraid he will confirm my fears, we did say my Adar would never find out. But that would mean leaving Aragorn, and now that we are together, now that I finally have him... I do not think I can do that.

Do I betray my heart, or my people? Or do I do neither and watch Aragorn marry someone else? Can I watch him marry someone else knowing how we both feel?

Ai, Elbereth, why do you make my life so difficult! Legolas had made up his mind to talk to his lover that day. To make up with him before anything else happened, but when he returned to their room Aragorn was not there. He thought for a moment about going to find the Ranger, but then realized he could not speak to him about it in public. Not after their agreement of secrecy. Letting out a dejected sigh he began to pack his few belongings for the long trip to Helm's Deep.

He would have little to no chance to be alone with his lover on the trip, and now regretted parting ways so harshly. He would now have to wait days to speak to him again, unless he could find him this night.

But Legolas never did find his lover that night, for the Ranger never returned to their room. This worried the Elf, and when he spoke to Gimli about it the Dwarf told him that Aragorn had appeared in his room around midnight. The man had said he was unable to face Legolas until he had fulfilled the Elf's wishes. This made Legolas regret his actions all the more, and though he tried and tried he never managed to get Aragorn alone.

Through the days they traveled the prince watched him from afar. Then, at night, Aragorn would take no watch and head immediately to his bedroll. And though Legolas tried with all his might he could not manage to get the Ranger alone.

It worried him, and it hurt. Why would his lover not talk to him? Why would he ignore him? He was beginning to understand how the man must have felt before. It was horrible, but Legolas knew it was his fault, because he was jealous, and that made it all the worse. And he knew there would be no way to apologize until they reached their destination.

Then the unthinkable happened.

Legolas walked at the head of the company, keeping his distance from Aragorn. He had been lost in his thoughts when he heard the agonized scream coming from the two scouts ahead. He ran to see what was wrong. Aragorn, hearing the scream as well as seeing his lover dash toward it, set off running after him. His worry proved unnecessary though, for when he arrived the Elf had already disposed of the Orcish scout.

Not sparing a second glance Aragorn spun and ran back toward the refugees with the warning: "We're under attack!" Though Legolas had tried to keep an eye on his lover throughout the battle the task proved harder than expected. He often had his back turned on the man while fighting, or the enemy obscured his view, and eventually he lost sight of Aragorn in the chaos.

When the battle was over he looked around, but there was no sign of the man. "Aragorn!" Legolas called out, fearing his lover to be injured, but there was no response. "Aragorn!" he called again, but still there was nothing. "ARAGORN!" Now Gimli joined in the search, sensing the desperation that his companion would not let show.

But there was no sign of Aragorn.
Chapter 14. Beyond Hope by Erandir
Author's Notes:
It took me forever to type this up. I wrote during Creative Writing class, and at home I have to work on college applications dies. Sorry, I wanted to use some of your ideas, but none of it turned out. See, in class we are not allowed to stop writing, the pen always has to keep moving to keep the idea's flowing. Oh well, we're back on the plot I had planned from the beginning, and there are some scenes I've been dying to write since forever. Finally I get to write them. I'll need your guys' help again in a few chapters, never fear.

The promised lemon (NC17 rated scene for those who don't know the term) has also been written already, it's after Helm's Deep and probably in the next chapter, if not, the one after that. I swear.
No.

No this cannot be happening. This cannot be true. He cannot be gone. Not now, not when the world needs him the most. Not when I need him the most.

Mandos why do you do this to me? To us? What did I ever do to deserve this? He did not deserve to die. The world needs him still, we cannot win this war without him!

I do not know what to do. What am I supposed to do? How do I go on without him?

He was right there, I could have saved him. I looked away for an instant and then... Then he was gone. Why wasn't I there? I should have been there for him. I could have saved him.

Valar, he cannot be dead. I need him. I love him. I cannot live without him. I know I am being selfish, but I need him with me. Please, if for my sake alone, please bring him back.

Aragorn... Please do not leave me. Legolas angrily swiped at the tears that leaked from his eyes. He had fallen to the end of the long line of refugees bound for Helm's Deep. No one knew of his and Aragorn's relationship, and Legolas wanted to stay true to his lover's wishes even though the Ranger was gone. But though he was the last in line he was still not alone.

"Are you alright, laddie?"

Legolas nodded and wiped at his eyes again. "I am fine Gimli, do not worry," he said softly, not trusting his voice to go any louder without breaking.

Gimli was worried, however. While the Elf had always silent he had never been this withdrawn before. He patted Legolas gruffly on the shoulder, hoping it would provide some comfort. "Aragorn is strong. He would not let something like this kill him."

"I hope you are right, Gimli." The arrival at Helm's Deep was a solemn one; all the refugees were shocked to see how few survived the warg attack. The remaining soldiers trudged half-heartedly into the stone fortress, carting their wounded behind them. Their numbers were significantly down, giving the citizens of Rohan even less hope of surviving the attack they all knew was coming. Eowyn was the first to ask where Aragorn was, and Gimli's confirmation that he had fallen was too much for Legolas to handle. Grasping Arod's reins he quickly lead the horse toward the stables. By the time the animal was settled Legolas could feel the tears beginning to flow again.

As though sensing his master's distress, Arod nuzzled his master. The Elf smiled sadly and patted the horse's nose, "You are worried about me, aren't you?" he murmured in Elvish, "I will be fine though."

Arod snorted, shaking his head as though in disbelief. Legolas could not help but smile.

"Talking to your horse again?" The Elf looked up, surprised to see Gimli in the stables. But he had forgotten to wipe away his tears. The Dwarf frowned in concern, "You have been crying."

The blond looked away in shame, "Do not worry about me, Gimli," he insisted, "I will be fine."

"Crazy Elf," the Dwarf growled, "What good are you to us if you are consumed by your grief?

"I just... I miss him already," Legolas said softly, "I cannot believe he is gone."

"Then do not believe it," Gimli replied, walking over to his friend's side, "Just hope that he lives, and never believe otherwise."

Legolas turned and looked down at his strange Dwarven companion, a sad smile on his face and tears in his eyes that he would not let himself cry. "I am glad you are here, Gimli," he murmured, and turned away again; his voice was so soft Gimli could barely hear him, "I have never been this scared before. What if - What if he never comes back?" Legolas never left the stables that night. He sat in the straw, curled up against the wall in the furthest corner, his legs pulled up to his chest and he face buried in his knees. His entire frame shook with silent sobs as he cried for the lose of the only man he'd ever loved. He cried and cried, until there were no tears left to shed, and only then, well after Ithil had reached it's peak, did he fall asleep.

And that's exactly where Gimli found him the next morning: curled up in the straw, his hair a mess and his face streaked with tears. He had never known the Elf to cry, but it was fairly obvious he had done just that. It seemed a crime to wake him, as he looked so peaceful in sleep; more peaceful than he had in days, and definitely happier than he had been since Aragorn's fall.

The Dwarf stared down at him for a while longer, feeling sorry for his companion's plight. If what they said about Elves dying of grief was true, then Legolas would not survive long if they received no news of Aragorn's well being. Gimli hoped it was not true, and hoped even more that Aragorn would return so he would not have to find out.

Arod snorted suddenly, causing Gimli to jump. He had been so lost in his thoughts that he had forgotten about the horse's presence. But the animal did not sound merely annoyed, but worried too. Worried for his master, Gimli supposed, though he doubted the animal knew what was wrong.

Gruffly patting the horse on the nose Gimli left the stable, willing to let his Elven friend sleep in peace a little while longer. It was only an hour after the Dwarf had left that Legolas was awoken by shouts from the keep and Arod nudging his shoulder. He groaned softly as he forced himself awake and onto his feet. It seemed he had slept longer and deeper than he had in ages. Aragorn's death was effecting him worse than he had thought.

Unconsciously he raised hand to straighten his braids and fix his hair before looking out of the stall to see what all the commotion was about. The people he could see seemed oddly excited, even hopeful. It was a change from the day before, that was for certain, and Legolas wondered what had brought it on. Curious now he patted Arod on the nose and left the stall. The Rohirrim who passed him barely cast the Elf a second glance, so he supposed he would have to leave the stables to find out what was going on.

Slowly his feet directed him toward the main keep, where all the excitement seemed to come from. But there were still no clues as to why the people were suddenly more cheerful.

It was not until Legolas stood atop the stairs that lead down to the gates that he saw what all the commotion was about. At first he did not believe his eyes. It could not be true. Aragorn was... Alive. It was more than he had dared to hope for. It seemed impossible, and yet there he was. Alive and more or less well. Legolas did not even mind the mud, or the smell that hit him before the Ranger noticed him, none of that mattered now, because his lover was alive.

Aragorn did not, in fact, notice him until he had to stop in order to not run into the elf. Legolas was momentarily lost for words; too many emotions flooded through him for his brain to function properly. The only thing he wanted was to throw himself into the man's arms and never let him go, he but couldn't do that. Instead, he said the first thing that came to mind: "Lle naa abdollen." The man stared at him for a moment, before a grin spread across his face; and by that time the elf managed to regain control of himself. He let his eyes trace over the Ranger's body, and grew worried. "You look terrible..."

Aragorn could not help the faint smile smile that formed on his face; he felt terrible too. He clapped a hand to his lover's shoulder, trying to convey how sorry he was for making the Elf worry. Legolas seemed to understand. "I am sorry," the man whispered in Elvish, so that only his lover could hear, "For everything."

Legolas simply smiled back. It was easy for him to forgive the Ranger. "As am I," he replied, just as softly. They embraced briefly. Just enough to assure each other of their forgiveness, and for Legolas to assure himself that his lover was alive. Then they pulled apart quickly, though each would have gladly clung to the other for dear life given the chance. But they did not have the time, or the privacy for such matters at the moment. The war headed toward them, and they needed to prepare for battle.

There was no telling if either one would survive the night.
End Notes:
Remember to review. Comments and critiques are always welcome. They help feed the muses, and without food the muses will die. You don't want that.
Chapter 15. Survival by Erandir
Author's Notes:
Again, serious lag on my part. But no one complained, so whatever. Please remember to review for this, the muses need their food.

Warning: This chapter contains a scene of a graphic nature which is rated NC17. If you do not wish to view it feel free to skip over the last scene, as it is of no import to the plot. Thank you. I cannot see a thing. The rain is so thick it blocks out any form of light from the stars and moon. Any form of torchlight was immediately extinguished as well. It is as thought the Valar have plotted against us, and are doing everything in their power to make this difficult.
I think I ran out of arrows, but I have not had time to check. Arrows would be useless now anyway.

I lost sight of him hours ago, though I thought I caught a glimpse of him near the wall. It is to difficult to tell in this weather. The torrent of rain turned the ground to mud before the battle even started, and now we may as well be fighting in a lake. The mud grows ever thicker as it is mixed with the blood of Orcs and Men... and Elves. I won't pretend I'm not thankful for Haldir's arrival, but now I find my attention split three ways.

I lost sight of both of them. Where they are now I do not know. I just hope they are safe. I tried to find them again, but I have not been able to. I fear they were lost in the breach...

Now is not the time for such thoughts! Just because I cannot see him does not mean he is... When this night is finally over, when the fighting is done, I will find him. "Fall back!"

The order rang out clear and true in both Elvish and the common tongue. "Fall back to the keep!"

Legolas had no idea how many of his kin were left alive. It seemed he had watched them die one by one the whole night. But it was Aragorn who called out the Elvish order to retreat, and that gave the Elf a small amount of hope. At least his lover was yet alive.

The Elf sheathed his knives as he ran back up the stairs. Discovering he had an arrow left he pulled his bow free and fired it down into the flood of invading Orcs. Then he was locked into the keep, the heavy wooden doors slammed shut behind him. Looking about the room he was horrified to see how few soldiers remained. Not one of his kin was standing within the stone fortress. If any were left alive they would not be for long.

But Aragorn was there. His eyes met with Legolas' own for a split second, but in that moment a thousand things passed between them. Courage, strength, hope, reassurance, and fear.

Aragorn was frightened. Legolas could not remember seeing that since the man had been a child. It scared him just thinking about it. If Aragorn was frightened, then there was a very good reason behind it. The few soldiers left alive gave Legolas a good idea as to what that reason was: they were doomed. There was very little chance that they would survive the night. Legolas was now acutely aware of this fact.

He heard King Theoden talking of hopelessness and doom, and then Aragorn arguing there was a chance. Legolas wondered at this. How could Aragorn think there was still a chance for victory when he had seemed so frightened before?

"Ride out with me."

Legolas looked up, his surprise mirrored by the remaining Rohirrim. That was suicide. There was no possible chance at victory. They were so vastly outnumbered that they would be struck down the minute the door opened.

But Theoden agreed with the plan, if only because it offered an honorable death; and Legolas would be damned if he let his lover ride out alone. So they saddled the horses and unblocked the door, and rode out head on into the flood of Orcs. They had won. Legolas still wasn't sure exactly how they had won, but they were alive and the Uruk-hai had fled. Gandalf's appearance had been their saving grace. Without his added reinforcements they would have perished for sure.

But they had survived, and right now all that mattered to Legolas was that both he and Aragorn were alive and well. That is, if he could find Aragorn. The Ranger had gone missing soon after the battle's end, as had Gandalf, Eomer and Theoden. They had been in council about the next move, and though Legolas did not want to interrupt he loathed the idea of spending even further time separated from his lover.

So he waited outside the keep, pacing impatiently from time to time. Gimli waited with him, the only one who knew the true reasons behind the prince's actions.

Finally, after what seemed hours of waiting, the door opened. Legolas' pacing stopped immediately and he turned toward the doors. Theoden's advisors emerged first, then the king himself along with Aragorn. The two were still discussing, but Aragorn noticed the Elf as soon as he stepped outside and stopped mid-sentence.

In confusion, Legolas heard Theoden ask what was wrong, but Aragorn merely brushed him off, saying that there was something important he had just remembered he needed to do. Without another word he took Legolas by the arm and lead him off, ignoring the looks thrown after him. NC17 warning The two lovers went in silence until they were sure that no one could see them. Legolas willingly allowed the Ranger to drag him along.

"Aragorn...?" he murmured when they had stopped.

The man didn't respond, but turned to face his lover. They stared at each other for time, ages it seemed. Then suddenly, without warning, Aragorn pushed Legolas up against the stone wall and slammed their lips together. The Elf gasped in surprise, and Aragorn's tongue was immediately in his mouth, plundering it ruthlessly.

Legolas moaned, twining his arms around his lover's neck. Their tongues tangled together, battling for dominance, and then the kiss broke, leaving them both panting for air.

"Aragorn," Legolas breathed, his face flushed, lips swollen in passion.

"Shh," the Ranger replied, pressing his fingers to the Elf's lips. Legolas quieted obligingly, and the man removed his fingers only to again soundly kiss his lover.

Hands tangled in hair and tore at clothes, unable to be rid of the fabric quick enough. The small alcove was soon filled with gasps and soft moans of pleasure. The Elf's pants were soon discarded, and then Aragorn's fingers were inside of him. He winced at the initial intrusion, still unused to the sensation, but soon he relaxed as his body adjusted to the penetration. Another finger was pushed in and the Elf moaned softly, pushing downward against it. Aragorn pushed another finger in and crooked it to the side, drawing a gasp and a loud moan from his lover.

"Aragorn..." the Elf moaned again, wrapping one leg around the Ranger's waist. The rest of his plea was cut off, though, as the man's lips slammed into his own once more. He clung to the man as though his very life depended on it, muffled moans escaped his mouth into Aragorn's.

The man pulled his fingers out, eliciting a soft whimper of loss from the Elf. Their kiss broke briefly as Aragorn tugged down his own pants and easily lifted Legolas up to his hips. The Elf wrapped both legs around his human lover and the man entered him in one smooth motion. Legolas cried out sharply, letting his head fall back against the stone wall..

Aragorn pushed fully inside, then began to slowly rock his hips against Legolas', coaxing other soft moans and cries from his Elven lover. The Ranger's lips attached themselves to the Elf's pale neck, Legolas buried his fingers in the man's hair.

Incomprehensible Elvish flowed brokenly from the blonde's swollen lips as Aragorn's thrusts became harder and faster, pushing him harder up against the wall. "Aragorn... Meleth," Legolas moaned, his breath coming in short gasps, "Saes - Estel!"

The blond prince cried out sharply as he found his release and slumped, boneless, against his Human lover.

Feeling the Elf's muscles tighten and clench around him, Aragorn felt his climax approaching. With one, two, more thrusts he moaned loudly and spilled himself inside his lover.

Legolas whimpered faintly. Only then did Aragorn realize how tightly the blond Elf was pressed up against the wall. Gently he lifted the Elf off of his hips, slowly pulling out in the process. Legolas sighed softly, dropping his legs back to the ground and leaning heavily against his lover. The man was forced to hold him up for fear the prince's legs would fail him.

"I love you," Aragorn murmured.

Legolas smiled and lifted his head off the man's chest to kiss his chin softly, "I love you, too."
Chapter 16. The Eve of Battle by Erandir
They were back in Edoras now. The battle was over, the Hobbits were safe, and the warriors had a small moment of peace before they had to leave again. Rohan faced no further threat with Isengard destroyed, and the citizens had little to worry about anymore. But Aragorn knew better.

He would have to leave for Gondor eventually. His people faced the largest threat, with Mordor practically on their doorstep. And however much Aragorn was loath to accept it, he was their king. Minas Tirith would need him before the end.




What have I gotten myself into? I am no king. I have no desire for power. Yet, Gandalf tells me I must claim my birthright before the end. I must become the king I was born to be. I wish it were not so; I do not want to be king.




The Ranger sighed dejectedly and looked up at the nearby mountains. No matter how many times he thought it over, there was no way he could avoid his fate. It was then, as he stared up at the frosty peaks, that he noticed it. A fire, a huge bonfire.

Aragorn leapt to his feet, spilling the bowl of stew he held and dropping his pipe in the process. Without a second thought the man sprinted up the stairs toward the king's hall. he burst through the doors, no doubt interrupting, but he didn't care. "The beacons of Minas Tirith! The beacons are lit!" he called, skidding to a stop before the king, "Gondor calls for aid!"

The hall was silent, all it's occupants stared at him. Then all eyes turned to Theoden, awaiting his decision.

"And Rohan will answer."




So again we've found ourselves rushing off to join a battle that we are ill prepared for, and in which we shall be hopelessly outnumbered. There is little chance for victory; but I suppose, since that did not stop us last time, Aragorn and Theoden will not let it stop them this time. Perhaps the miraculous victory at Helm's Deep has gone to their heads.

Even if every citizen of Rohan were to head into battle we would still have no hope of breaking the lines of Mordor. It is hopeless; we are going to our deaths.

I dread leaving tomorrow, and yet, all the same, I want this war to be over so badly I would do almost anything to end it. I would follow him to my death if I had to. And right now, it looks as though I may do just that.




"Aragorn?"

The man looked up from packing his bag to see Legolas standing at the entrance of his tent. Aragorn wondered how long he had been standing there. "What is wrong?"

The Elf hesitated, biting his lip and looking down at the floor. "I am worried," he admitted.

"About what?" the Ranger questioned, standing and crossing to his lover.

"Us," Legolas murmured.

This concerned Aragorn. He had thought their misunderstandings had been cleared up. He gently ushered the Elf into his room and checked to see if anyone had noticed, but there was no one out this late; especially on the eve of battle. "Tell me what is wrong," he urged, sitting the Elf down on the floor.

Legolas would not meet his eyes, but kept his gaze firmly locked on his lap. "I am worried," he repeated, his voice barely above a whisper. "What will happen when we arrive in Gondor? You will claim the throne, and I understand your choice to so do. It is yours by birthright, but... What will happen to me?"

Aragorn, truly, had not given it much thought. That time still seemed so far away. The Ranger was still unsure if they would win this war, but Legolas was right to worry, he realized, because that was a possibility. Slowly the man knelt down before his lover. The Elf's crystal blue eyes flickered to his for an instant, then fell again. "Truthfully," Aragorn began, "I have not thought much of it. We had agreed that your father need never know."

"But Aragorn," Legolas started, and then s topped. He seemed hesitant to speak what he wished to say. "Estel, I do not know if I can do that anymore." He looked up again, this time locking his blue eyes with the Ranger's gray, "I do not think I can leave you when this is all over... I love you, Estel. More than I thought possible."

The Ranger stared at his lover. He had not known how much he wanted to hear those words spoken aloud. "I do not want to leave you either," he replied softly, "But could you stand your father's banishment?"

"I do not know," Legolas murmured, brushing a stray lock of hair out of his face as he looked down again, "I am so confused, Aragorn." When Aragorn took the Elf's face in his hand's he could see the tears forming in his lover's eyes, and it made him sad as well. Knowing that in the end he must chose between his love for the man and that for his family must be tearing him apart. "I cannot imagine life without you, Aragorn... But I cannot bear never seeing my home again. What am I supposed to do?"

Aragorn quickly moved to sit beside his lover. They both knew there was little hope of swaying Thranduil's opinion of humans. Even Aragorn's position as king would have little import to the strong-willed Elven king. So the man merely wrapped his arms around the blond prince and held him close. "It will all work out in the end, I promise."

"How?" Legolas choked on the tears he was holding back as he sank into the man's embrace. "I know Lord Elrond was here, and that he spoke to you," he said softly, "I do not know what he said, but I can tell it was grave." The man stiffened for a moment, and this worried Legolas. Had he said something wrong?

Aragorn was silent for a long moment, then pulled away from his Elven lover. "I will take the Paths of the Dead."

"What?" the Elf exclaimed, looking up at him worriedly.

"It is our only hope for victory," Aragorn insisted, "Rohan alone will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor, not when they have reinforcements on the way."

"But you cannot expect to make it out alive."

"I can," the man assured, "The dead will follow the Heir of Isildur if it means they can finally rest in peace."

"Then I will come with you," the Elf decided.

"No," Aragorn replied sternly, "You will stay here and ride with the Rohirrim."

"I will not leave you Aragorn," Legolas argued.

"You will," the Ranger insisted, "It is too dangerous."

The Elf huffed in annoyance, "You think I cannot take care of myself?"

"No, that is not it, Legolas," Aragorn assured, "But-"

"I am going, Aragorn," the Elf interrupted, determined, "And that is that."
End Notes:
Oh, we're getting to the end! Finally! Actually... there will be a few more chapters after the war ends, so I suppose we're only 3/4 or 2/3 of the way there...
Chapter 17. The Sea by Erandir
Author's Notes:
Slowly, but surely we're getting to the end. I've already started writing the sequel (which is really sad, considering I haven't finished writing this), so look for that as soon as Forbidden reaches it's end.

Beta'd by the loverly Empath, who wants me to make longer chapters. Sorry, hun.
That may well qualify as the most nerve-racking experience of my life. Must make note never to confront dead army ever again, even if I have to in order to stay by Aragorn's side. There are some things I never want to relive, and that was one of them.

Face death in a battle where we are hopelessly outnumbered or fight giant spiders, of course, but no more ghost armies or Balrogs for me. I am done with supernatural things.




Legolas was shaken by their experience in the Paths of the Dead, the man could tell, and being so close to the sea was not helping him at all. Aragorn had watched him stare off the back of the ship as they moved further upstream, and hoped desperately that it did not mean the Elf would leave him when the war was over. It would solve all of Legolas' problems, for he would not have to choose between Aragorn and his father anymore; but it would leave Aragorn alone. And now that he had had the blond prince, the man was not sure he would be able to handle that.

Slowly, the man walked over to where his lover stood by the side of the boat, looking back the way they had come. As he came up to the Elf he wrapped his arms around the blonde's waist and kissed his neck. "You have been staring downriver since we captured the boats, what is on your mind?"

"The sea," Legolas replied softly, his gaze never moving from the horizon. "I can still hear the sea birds, and when the wind blows I can smell the salt spray."

Those were just the words Aragorn had dreaded hearing. "Will you heed its call?" he forced himself to ask, steeling himself for the worst possible outcome.

The Elf was silent for a long while, so long, in fact, that Aragorn was tempted to ask his question again. When he opened his mouth to speak, though, Legolas cut him off. "No," he said simply, "I would not join my kin in the west if it meant I must be parted from you."

"You may be parted from me anyway," Aragorn murmured solemnly. It was something they had both spoken of, at length. Aragorn would take the throne at the end of the war; after all this time, Gondor needed something stable so it could recover. In that case, the man would need to marry someone who could provide him with heirs, and Legolas, to the best of their knowledge, was unable to do that.

There was also the problem with the prince's father. Thranduil would be anything but happy to hear that his son had fallen in love with a mortal. Legolas was not the first in line for the Mirkwood throne, so Aragorn thought it should not matter who he chose to spend his life with, but the Elvenking was known to be stubborn in his beliefs. And Legolas had broken a law by giving his heart to Aragorn, a law who's consequence was banishment. It would be hard to convince Thranduil to overlook the law and have it not appear a favor for his son. It was proving harder by the day for the two lovers to imagine a future together.

"Please do not remind me, Aragorn," Legolas murmured, turning slightly to look at the man over his shoulder. "I would prefer to be happy with you right now, than worry about the future."

Aragorn smiled faintly and kissed him, "Then we will worry about it when the time comes."




All too soon the three hunters arrived at Pelennor and were sucked into the heat of battle. Everywhere they looked were orcs and Haradrim swarmed, completely outnumbering their forces. It was tiring and blinding. Dust was kicked up by the soldiers and few horses who remained standing with riders on them and made it hard to see what one was attacking.

Then it was over.

Almost as suddenly as they had been pulled into the battle, the three hunters ran out of things to kill. They had won. Somehow miraculously they had emerged victorious.




All I really want at this moment, is a bath, and a nap.

It seems forever since I have been able to relax long enough to actually sleep. Not to mention that I am filthy and still smell like cave and death.

Where is Aragorn? He could use a bath as well.


TBC...
This story archived at http://www.libraryofmoria.com/a/viewstory.php?sid=2745