The Face of the Sun by Nildrohain

Legolas did not see Haldir the next day. In fact, three days passed without any word or even glimpse of the Captain of the Wide Patrol. Instead, Legolas spent most of his time with Orophin, making several more trips to the armorers and being led on tours through Caras Galadhon. He retrieved his pack from the fitters, only to leave it in Orophin's private talan, after having dined there on the very same evening in which he had regained it. Indeed, Legolas was beginning to wonder if there was something in the Lorien air that was making him forgetful. Only, there were certain things he did not forget . . .

"I have not seen Haldir since the day I arrived," Legolas said casually, as he and Orophin headed for the fountain on the fourth night of his stay.

"Haldir tends to be fairly private when we are not on patrol," Orophin replied. "But you will see him tomorrow. He and Rumil will join us for dinner."

Legolas found this to be good news, indeed.




Whatever Orophin was cooking (and he was very secretive about it), it smelled wonderful. This much Legolas had discovered over the past two days: that Orophin was a superb cook. In addition to his other assets-for Orophin was kindhearted, quick-witted and generous-he had served up several excellent dishes for his guest, and Legolas appreciated his efforts.

"I am really the only one of my brothers who has any culinary skill," he said, stirring the contents of the pot he was tending. "Oh, I suppose Rumil can boil water well enough, and Haldir can-"

"Haldir can what?"

Both Orophin and Legolas turned towards the voice, which had come from the doorway into Orophin's modest home, which was located on one of the lower flets and very near the patrol's talans.

Haldir and Rumil entered one after the other, their arms laden with meal-stuffs.

Orophin left the pot as his brothers drew near. A broad grin spread over his face. He leaned close and pressed his cheek to Haldir's, then he did the same with Rumil. It was an intimate greeting - and Legolas wondered if it would be extended to include himself.

Orophin took the two sacks from Haldir's arms. "Haldir can bring the bread and the wine. How very typical of you, brother."

"I dare not bring anything other," Haldir replied. "You and Rumil remind me incessantly that I have no skill in such matters." A mischievous glint showed in his eye. "Although, it sounded to me as if Rumil is not held in such high esteem either."

Rumil set down the two bowls he had brought on a nearby table. "I can boil water well enough, and that is more than can be said for you, dear brother."

Haldir cuffed Rumil playfully then drew in a deep breath. "You've made my favorite, Orophin," he said with a gleam in his eye.

"You know that I take care of you, Haldir," Orophin replied. "You would starve without me and the charity of others."

"You will have Legolas thinking that I am utterly helpless!" Haldir protested, then he turned his attention to the newest member of his patrol. "Legolas, you look well. I take it then that Orophin has been helpful to you. Has he been a comfort or a hindrance?"

"Very helpful, and very much a comfort," Legolas replied. "I have been to the fitters, the armorers, met most of the patrol, and I've been well entertained. Lorien boasts of many treasures."

Haldir nodded his approval. "And what are your plans for the next two days?"

Legolas looked at Orophin, who wore a look of expectancy, as if he knew what were coming next. It was Orophin who replied, "Tomorrow, we go to get his long-bow. The armorers are still crafting it, but it should be ready tomorrow early. After that, we have no plans."

"Then you will spend the time with me," Haldir said, placing an arm gently on Legolas's back and guiding him to the low chairs near the glowing brazier on the far side of the room. "That will give me the opportunity to go over the way things are in the patrol before we return to duty."

Legolas felt a warm flush of pleasure flow through his body. As enjoyable as Orophin's company had been, the prospect of spending time with Haldir was the greater desire. "Very good," he said with a subdued grin.

Haldir sunk into one of the chairs, leaned his head back and closed his eyes. He looked perfectly at ease, Legolas noted. Perfectly at home; and why not? These were his brothers, clearly adoring, clearly bent on an enjoyable evening. And apparently, Haldir felt comfortable enough around Legolas to relax and take dinner with him. This gave Legolas encouragement.

"I take it you have been busy the past few days. I have not seen you at all," Legolas prompted with practiced innocence.

Haldir opened one eye. "I have been enjoying some much needed solitude," he grinned. "Have I neglected you?"

Color leapt into Legolas's complexion. "I didn't mean it that way."

"I did not take it 'that' way. I only wanted to know if you felt neglected," Haldir replied gently, opening both eyes now and leaning forward slightly.

Legolas stared at him, struck by the intensity of the gaze now turned towards him. But it was more than the gaze itself; there was something behind the warm pools of blue that regarded him steadily and with expectation. There was a mysterious depth, but there was also a welcome, an invitation-but an invitation to what, Legolas could not discern. He had never encountered such a thing before. At the same time that it was perplexing, it was titillating.

"Should I take your silence as a confirmation?" Haldir's voice snapped Legolas out of his musings.

"No, not at all. You placed me in very good hands, but I shall be glad to spend the next two days with you," he replied.

Haldir gave a small chuckle. "I wonder if you shall still be so glad to spend time with me after six weeks of living together."

"Haldir, you are going to frighten him," Rumil chastised lightheartedly, bringing over three glasses and a bottle of wine. He held out a glass to Legolas and spoke to him as he filled it. "You must not let him mislead you. He would make himself out to be a troll, when he is really more of a task master."

"In truth, I have more experience with trolls than with task masters," Legolas replied with a laugh.

"I shall try to be as troll-like as I possibly can, then," Haldir replied, accepting the glass proferred by Rumil.

There followed a bit of small talk, then dinner, which was preceded by a sort of short speech in which all three brothers took part but which was in more of the ancient language and therefore, unknown to Legolas. After the meal, surprisingly succulent for a simple family meal, the brothers taught Legolas a game called 'bob-stones', something of a dice game, which they all three regretted when luck decidedly smiled on Legolas more than any of them. Since they played for mere sport, Legolas claimed his winnings by asking for a song, hoping that Haldir would accommodate his request. But it was Rumil who was prevailed upon, and Legolas was not disappointed.

Rumil's voice was exquisite, far superior to Haldir's. Yet, as much as Legolas admired and enjoyed Rumil's talent, he was not as moved as he had been by Haldir's song at the fountain. What captivated him as Rumil sang was the expression of peace and fondness that had settled over Haldir's face. The song was one of many tales of Gil-Galad and was hardly a peaceful bit; yet Haldir looked as if the melody had soothed over every remnant of the daily toil.

"Wonderful," Legolas complimented when the song ended. "I have never heard it sung so beautifully."

"I am not even the best," Rumil replied. "But I appreciate your words."

"I can not imagine a finer voice," Legolas said.

It was Orophin who replied. "You have not heard Ardamil yet. Once you hear him, you will not have to imagine a finer voice. You will hear it yourself. There is none better."

"Ardamil? Truly? I would never have guessed."

"Haldir calls him the patrol's song bird," Rumil replied. "But you will give him quite a run. I recall your voice was very good also."

Haldir stood up. "You may all debate the finest voice once we are on patrol," he said lightly. "But right now, I am retiring. It has grown late."

The rest of them stood and moved towards the door. Haldir turned to Legolas. "You are still in the patrol's talans?" Legolas replied that he was, at which Haldir informed him that he would come by to get him after the morning meal.

Orophin offered to see Legolas back to the talans, but Legolas deferred, preferring to go on his own. Certain images were still fresh in his mind, and he desired to indulge those images in solitude. Yet, he had not gone far when he heard a voice call out his name.

"Prince Legolas!"

Legolas turned to see one of the elves that had been with him on the way down from Mirkwood. The elf's name was Nenstil.

"Nenstil," Legolas greeted him cheerfully. "It is good to see you again."

"And you, as well," Nenstil replied.

"But you must not call me 'prince'," Legolas told him.

Nenstil nodded a smile. "I heard that you are pulling duty with the Wide Patrol."

"Yes, it was Lord Celeborn's idea," Legolas replied. "And I must say, it seems a good one."

"Have you met Nikerym Haldir yet?" Nenstil asked.

"Yes."

"And how do you like him?"

"Very much."

"He is an excellent captain. He will be able to teach you a great deal."

Legolas gave a nod. "So I have heard. I have not had much experience with him yet, but I will be spending the next two days with him before the patrol goes back on duty."

"You will be happy, then," Nenstil said assuredly. "Haldir has a way of making his warriors feel very much loved." He paused and regarded Legolas with a mildly appraising aire. "And you will suit him well. Yes, your placement in the Wide Patrol must be highly agreeable to him."

Legolas found Nenstil's manner rather odd, but there was nothing unkind or caustic in his words, and so Legolas inclined his head graciously and replied, "It is highly agreeable to me, as well."

"I am sure it is. There are many who would envy your position," came the grinning reply. "Haldir is very particular about those whom he chooses to be members of his patrol. It is considered a great honor to be selected by him."

Nenstil was still speaking with ease and friendliness, but this last remark make Legolas wonder if, perhaps, Nenstil was speaking of himself when he referred to those who might envy Legolas's easy induction into the Wide Patrol. "He did not select me," Legolas stated, feeling somewhat embarrassed. "But I do not imagine he would question Lord Celeborn's decision. I can only hope that I bring no dishonor to either of them."

Nenstil's smile seemed to waver for an instant, but then it was back in full force. "Look at you. You could not possibly bring dishonor. In fact, it is more likely that you would bring honor to those who are not deserving of it."

Legolas stared at him. "What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing in particular. It is just a general observation. During our journey from Mirkwood, it did not escape my notice that you have a great many talents and a certain charisma. I am quite confident that you are admired wherever you go," Nenstil replied. "And therefore, others would be admired by association."

Legolas gave an uncomfortable laugh. "This is news, indeed. I have never thought of myself in those terms."

"Not to worry," Nenstil replied. "Haldir will ensure that you feel your own importance. You will be cherished as only Haldir can cherish." He gave a slight bow. "A good night to you, Prince Legolas."

Legolas watched him go.




Haldir was punctual. No sooner had Legolas finished the morning meal in the patrol's common mess than Haldir appeared in the doorway, dressed simply in Lorien woodland colors and without weapons. Several of the elves present in the mess greeted him and there was some conversation, which Legolas listened to with feigned interest. At last, Haldir determined that it was time to go, and Legolas accompanied him from the mess.

Legolas had been expecting to head directly for the armorers in order that he might check on his long-bow, but Haldir had other ideas.

"I think you should get to know the lay of the land," he said as he led the way towards the main gate. "I will take you beyond the borders, but only to the other side of the river. There are some key checkpoints with which you should be acquainted."

Legolas went along with him as they spent the greater part of the morning heading south through the woods, coming to the main launchings of the Celebrant. Here, they crossed in a punt to the east bank and took up horses. And all the while, Haldir pointed out various signs in their surroundings that only a tracker would notice. A bent blade of grass. An impression in soft ground. Indentations on the sides of moss-covered trees. He also noted landmarks and pathways, both on the ground and overhead. But what amazed Legolas most was Haldir's uncanny ability to feel the woods around him.

"You learn more from the mood of the trees and the talk of the birds than you do from any of the signs," he remarked as they went along the eastern shore of the Celebrant, where the sun cast a dappled mosaic on the grassy path beside the water, sheltered by trees that waved slightly in the morning breeze.

"And what is the mood?" Legolas asked.

"Everything is peaceful and in order," Haldir replied, then he turned a curious eye to Legolas. "Can you not feel that at all?"

"I can see that everything is peaceful," Legolas replied. "But I can't feel it."

"That comes as a surprise to me," Haldir said thoughtfully. "I always believed Mirkwood elves were very sensitive about such things - especially given the wicked things that have dwelt in your forests."

"I am willing to learn, if such a skill can be taught." Legolas tried not to sound to eager.

"It can be taught to a certain degree. But beyond a rudimentary level, it requires a natural predisposition to it in order to be effective," Haldir explained. "You will have much opportunity to learn and practice it during the patrol."

They came to a clearing adjacent to the river bank, and here they dismounted, Haldir announcing that it was time for the midday meal. He had brought a small satchel, and from this he carefully laid out the meager contents and allowed the horses to graze freely. Haldir said a few words in the ancient language and then invited Legolas to help himself to the meal.

They spoke very little as they ate; and when they were finished, Haldir lay back in the grass, his arms spread wide, his face turned sunward, his eyes closed, a contented smile curling the corners of his mouth. After a few seconds, he spoke softly. "Do you hear the horses?"

"The horses? They're over by the edge of the glade," Legolas replied.

"Yes . . . but do you hear them? They're talking to each other."

Legolas listened. He could hear quiet snorting sounds, but they meant nothing to him. "What are they saying?"

"They are going to play tricks on us." Haldir's smile had grown larger.

"Oh?"

"You will see. Melthea is very playful." A pause. "But not yet. There is still time for a bit of rest. The sun feels very good today."

Legolas looked at him for a long time. He felt no awkwardness at the duration of his gaze, for he had always been an admirer of beautiful things; and the more he saw of Haldir, the more he was convinced that he was beholding one of the finest creatures in Middle Earth - and it was not merely a question of physical beauty. Haldir seemed to possess a trademark peacefulness that surrounded him like a friendly, enveloping heat. There was something open and artless in his manner, and yet somehow, he managed to maintain a certain distance, which made him appear mysterious; and this, Legolas found to be very enticing. Still, Legolas felt that his fascination with Haldir was nothing unusual, so when Haldir opened his eyes to regard him lazily, Legolas did not look away.

"You should take advantage of the moment," Haldir said, his voice rolling languidly into the bright midday.

Legolas pondered this comment with a smile. A pleasant image entered his head of a wrestling match under the watching sun, as such encounters were common among Legolas and his brothers, wrestling both for fun and to establish the order of dominance among them. But he was forced to admit to himself that this was not likely what Haldir was proposing. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"The sun and the quiet. Why don't you lie back and relax?"

Normally, Legolas would have been concerned for safety, but this time, there was no thought at all in his head of dangers. Lorien was a safe haven, and even though he and Haldir were just beyond its borders, he felt perfectly secure. Having Haldir next to him increased his reassurance. He lay back, resting his hands behind his head.

Neither of them spoke for a long time. There was no need of words. The moment was very close to perfect. At last, Haldir sat up, filled his lungs and stretched. "And now for the contest."

Legolas sat up as well. "What contest is that?"

"Watch and you will see," Haldir replied, then added, "I must advise you that my dignity will be greatly tarnished in the next few minutes."

"And you will permit me to witness such a thing?" Legolas grinned.

"Unfortunately, I have no choice. Melthea will have her fun." He paused and a thoughtful joy came over his features. "But I don't mind. She loves me, and this is how she shows it." With that, he began walking leisurely across the glen in the direction of the horses. He had come within a few feet, his hand reaching out invitingly, when both animals trotted off in opposite directions. Haldir went after Melthea. He did not run or even show any sign of excitement or perturbation. He spoke more of the ancient language, calling after his errant mount. But Melthea tossed her proud head and continued to move away from him. After an impressive show of prancing and neighing, she circled round very close to Haldir, clearly tempting him to try and catch her. Closer and closer she came on every pass, until at last, Haldir sprang towards her, and missing, landed face-down in the grass. It would have been the demise of his dignity, as he had warned, but for the sound of his laughter, which rose from the grass and filled the glen with a child-like joy. He was on his feet again quickly, still laughing, and now his movements were more oriented towards pursuit. He chased after Melthea, bursting into mirth anew at each failed attempt to capture his quarry. Melthea would issue forth a long string of sounds that seemed to urge Haldir on and to which he replied with his own incomprehensible ancient replies.

Legolas looked on in amazement. It was like watching two children playing. He would never have been able to imagine Haldir so uninhibited-nearly wild . . . until now. He felt he could spectate such a display for hours on end. But just as this thought crossed his mind, Melthea passed a little too close to her tormented would-be rider, and Haldir, in one powerful, vaulting movement, leapt up onto her back with a cry of victory. In the next moment, he leaned forward and wrapped his arms around her neck, pressing his cheek against the coarse hair, fully lost in the simple happiness of the moment. It was an expression of love, after which Melthea dutifully bore him to where Legolas was standing.

"That was quite a spectacle," Legolas remarked.

"I told you she would leave my dignity in tatters," Haldir replied, sounding anything but tattered. "She teases me."

"You tease back," Legolas replied, and Haldir smiled broadly.

"I do," he agreed.

"That was some mounting maneuver," Legolas said. "If you had misjudged the distance, you might have been trampled."

Haldir shrugged carelessly. "I've never misjudged, and I've never been trampled. That wasn't even a difficult move. When we are out on patrol, I will take you to visit some of the towns of men. Their horses are saddled. Now, there is an opportunity to learn some very impressive techniques."

"I would be happy just to learn this one," Legolas said.

"I will teach you, but not just yet. Later, in safer environs, when a healer is present," Haldir replied, "Just in case of an accident."

"But you said it wasn't a difficult move," Legolas challenged.

"Comparatively speaking," Haldir countered. "There are much harder and more dangerous maneuvers, but even this one poses a challenge for beginners-" he fixed Legolas with an authoritative eye, "-which is what you are."

"And do you not think of your own safety?" Legolas asked.

Haldir's countenance softened. His answer surprised Legolas. "What good captain does?"

"I would think you no less a good captain if you looked out for your own protection," Legolas stated as he mounted his own horse, which had returned of his own accord.

Haldir's smile was almost paternal. "That is why I am the captain and you are not," he said gently.

Legolas arched an eyebrow. "What do you mean by that?"

"Only that a good captain need not look after himself; his warriors will look after and protect him," Haldir replied. "That is something you will learn."

"Do your warriors protect you?" Legolas asked, realizing how ridiculous this question was even as it dropped from his lips. He had seen how admired Haldir was among the members of the Wide Patrol. Orophin had even admitted that they protected him.

"Lest I sound too boastful, I will refrain from answering," Haldir replied, his voice light and pensive. "You would do better to ask them." Then, he could not help but add, "But I have been in many dangerous situations, and I am still here. I do not owe my survival to my own abilities."

Legolas was quiet for a moment. At length, he spoke in a serious voice. "But it IS due to your own abilities. For they would not protect you and feel a loyalty to you unless you inspired their trust and confidence."

Haldir gave a small laugh. "Are you joining ranks with my brothers and Ardamil and all the rest of them? It seems there is a conspiracy to make me appreciate myself far too much, and I am already the victim of an inflated pride."

"I detect no such unwarranted pride in you," Legolas replied, feeling that he had a princely right to speak on such matters. "On the contrary, you seem to hold yourself as being of no account at all."

Haldir looked baffled. "You are grossly mistaken, Legolas. When you have spent a significant amount of time with me, you will be in a position to form an opinion. And I dare say that it will be a fair revision from what you are saying now."

"Your brothers have known you all their lives, and many of your warriors have known you all YOUR life. My opinion of you is in close accord with theirs," Legolas persisted.

Haldir actually appeared stumped by this statement. At last, he said, almost mumbling, "Yes, well, none of them are a prince." He wheeled Melthea around, but Legolas followed.

"Am I supposed to have a different opinion of you because I am a prince?" Legolas asked.

"None of my warriors come from royal blood," Haldir replied. "My brothers and I are low born. There is nothing impressive about the members of the Wide Patrol except their skill and loyalty to each other, my loyalty to them and theirs to me. I want you to be a part of that while you're here, Legolas. I told you that I would not treat you like a prince, and I meant it. But you will understand if, somewhere in the back of my head, there is a constant quiet reminder that you ARE a prince, an honored visitor, and . . . from much higher bloodlines than any of us."

"Are you saying you don't think I can fit in?"

"I'm not saying that at all," Haldir replied, and he was unmistakably flustered. "I am only trying to tell you that . . . that I . . . I am not as . . . humble as you think. Or as humble as I try to be." He shook his head resolutely, as if the action put a firm end to the conversation. "But this is pointless talk. There is still much to show you. Let us continue along the river."

Legolas did not press any further. Indeed, he would not have known in which direction to pursue. Haldir, it appeared to Legolas, was every bit as enigmatic as Orophin had hinted. And, if anything, Legolas's curiosity was growing. He wondered what surprises were in store during his stint with the Wide Patrol.