The Face of the Sun by Nildrohain

He fell again. This was beyond humiliating; it was complete and utter mortification. Elves did not tire, he told himself, but nor were they this clumsy. And so, Legolas had to attribute his lack of coordination to something else other than fatigue; and looking up the hillside ahead of him, he found it no difficult task to pinpoint the cause of his embarrassment. Haldir was picking out foot- and handholds with ease, mounting ever higher up the steep incline, apparently with no more effort than as if he were strolling through the fields.

'But', Legolas convinced himself, 'Haldir is familiar with these paths. This is all well-known to him. How else could he set such a quick pace? Surely, there is no need for such a hurry!'

Behind him, Rumil spoke as if he had been reading Legolas's thoughts. "We told you he was a task-master."

Legolas grunted something incomprehensible, before answering in a more decipherable voice, "We have been moving for five days without sleep and scarcely a moment to eat. And I am absolutely certain that, wherever we are going, he has picked the most difficult path. Rivers, marshes, mile after mile of brambles and clinging weed, and now this! He saves this climb for the end and makes me look like a feeble elfling!"

Rumil chuckled softly. "Certainly not feeble. But all the energy you just put into that speech could be better used to get you up the hillside."

"I will make it, if for no other reason than to prove to him that I can. What a pace he sets!" Legolas groused.

"It is a test of sorts, but not just for you," Rumil said. "He wants to make sure all of us can carry our weight. Have you ever done such a forced hike before in Mirkwood?"

Legolas had to admit that he had not, adding petulantly, "But I am no slouch."

Rumil's voice still the ring of humor in it. "I am quite confident that Haldir does not consider you to be a slouch."

Several minutes of continued climbing passed, then Legolas asked, "Doesn't this weary you?"

"Not at all," Rumil replied. "But I have been doing this for many centuries. Don't forget, Legolas, that we are all very highly trained and conditioned. You shouldn't expect to be able to match us stride for stride."

That did it. Legolas knew a challenge when he heard one, even when the challenge was kindly meant. Very well, then . . . if Haldir was going to push him, and if the rest of the patrol was going to gleefully be party to it, then Legolas would show them what he was made of.

The patrol reached the top of the hill, and here there stood a circle of towering, shapeless boulders. Haldir called a rest as he moved to the northern rim of the hilltop and surveyed the land falling away before him. Legolas watched him but did not follow. Instead, he slid from his shoulders the light-weight pack that all members of the Wide Patrol carried, and sat down with his back against one of the boulders. Mythis sat down beside him.

"This is beautiful country," Mythis remarked. "I always enjoy when the patrol comes to this area. It's so wild and unpredictable."

"Does the patrol come here often?" Legolas asked.

"Fairly often," Mythis replied. "Haldir likes to come here. Some of the most ancient ruins in Middle Earth are in this area, and that attracts Haldir." He paused, and his look became dour. "But there have been reports of bands of evil things traversing these hills. We have never encountered any, but the Lord and Lady are vigilant and have directed us to keep an eye on the area."

"What sorts of evil things?" Legolas asked.

"Orcs, dark men, cloaked riders, and other things given to less description," Mythis replied.

"Will Haldir make camp in such a place?"

"He feels safe here. After all, from the top of this hill, we can survey the surrounding land for miles, as long as the weather is clear. I predict he will tell us shortly that we will pass the night here," Mythis said, rummaging through his own pack and withdrawing a vial of clear liquid- alumivira-from which he permitted himself a small sip. He held out the vial to Legolas. "Will you have some?"

Legolas accepted. "I had brought a bottle of Mirkwood's finest nectar as a gift to the Lord and Lady, and still it sits in Orophin's talan with the rest of the contents of my pack. For a full two weeks I reminded myself daily to retrieve the pack, and daily did I forget. I am not myself since coming here." It sounded like a half-hearted complaint, and so Mythis decided to have some fun with it.

"And why aren't you yourself?" he asked.

"I hardly know," Legolas replied with exasperation. "Perhaps it is because everything is so new to me. Perhaps it is because the joy I sense here is unlike anything I've ever felt before. I feel as if I am wandering around in wide-eyed wonder, like a gaping little thing who has never experienced the world before."

"Have you been out into the world?" Mythis asked curiously.

Legolas blushed slightly, scarcely noticeable against the red cheeks the prolonged hike had produced. "I have not."

"Then it may be that you are, in fact, reacting simply as you say, like one who has never experienced the world. And there is nothing wrong with that-"

"But that shouldn't make me awkward and forgetful," Legolas protested.

Mythis shrugged as he put the alumivira back into his pack. "Then it must be something else. You will have to think about it." His gaze moved to where Haldir was still standing on the far side of the stone circle, now in conversation with Ardamil. "In the meantime, just enjoy yourself. You've got the best teacher in all of Lorien at your disposal. Make good use of him."

Legolas felt a surge of inward laughter. Mythis was suggesting that he make use of the very cause of his distraction. Somehow, Legolas doubted that this would solve his problem. In fact, as the evening wore on, he was beginning to wonder if he wanted to be cured of his dilemma.

The patrol shared a meal in the fading twilight, and this was followed by singing and a very funny story from an elf named Pelvil about his first day in the Wide Patrol, in which he related how he had accidentally knocked Haldir out of a talan while sparring with another member of the patrol. Not far below had been another talan, where the preparations for a formal dinner had been underway. Haldir had landed in the midst of the culinary delights; and although he was uninjured, he had been covered in food, and his pride had taken a minor blow. Pelvil had ended up pulling extra duty in the kitchens for the patrol's entire time off and its week in garrison.

"And it was honestly a mistake!" Pelvil laughed. "I wasn't trying to push him off the talan! It was amazing though-running to the edge, I was terrified that he had been seriously injured, and there he was, lying in the middle of all that food, the kitchen maids scolding him!"

Haldir sat close to the fire, listening to the story, eyes bright with humor. At its conclusion, he stood up and crossed over to where Pelvil sat laughing and watching his captain's approach.

"As I recall, you had better success against me than against your opponent," Haldir challenged. "How do you feel about taking me on now?"

"I have no doubt that you would best me, Nikerym," Pelvil replied. "You have defeated me every time."

"This might be your chance," Haldir said suggestively.

"Are you insisting, Nikerym?" Pelvil asked, and although his words were meant to sound like protest, there was an anticipatory gleam in his eye.

"I am insisting," Haldir replied. He pulled off his tunic. "Come, take your chance. If you are going to tell that story, you must be prepared to pay for it."

Pelvil got to his feet and began to undress. When both elves were bare from the waist up, Haldir began to circle. "Let's see how much you've improved."

Legolas watched them circling each other in the firelight. He could not help but admire Haldir's body, solid and perfectly shaped, well-muscled and powerful. It was the body of maturity, as opposed to Legolas's own slighter, more sinewly build - the body of a youth. Pelvil was built more like Legolas, and just looking at the two of them opposed in the dancing light, it was clear to see that the advantage was on Haldir's side.

When the two elves closed with one another, Legolas found himself moving to get into a better viewing position. Haldir had Pelvil on the ground in an instant with the latter's arms leveraged behind him in Haldir's uncompromising grasp.

"You're not even trying!" Haldir accused, grinning wickedly. "Shall I make you resist?"

"No, no!" Pelvil was actually laughing, and he began to struggle with renewed vigor. He managed to roll onto his side, dislodging Haldir, although to Legolas's eyes, it appeared as if Haldir had permitted him the move.

It was exhilarating to watch them, limbs entwined in a contest of strength, bodies pressed close and rolling across the ground as each tried to claim supremacy. The sight of Haldir's fingers firmly gripping Pelvil's dust- and sweat-covered flesh filled Legolas's head with pleasant thoughts of belonging and acceptance. It was almost as if Haldir were affirming Pelvil's status as one of his own, even at the same time as they struggled against each other. And then it was over. Haldir had Pelvil pinned on his back, and there was no chance of his getting loose. Then Haldir did something that Legolas was not expecting. He closed his eyes and placed a tender kiss on Pelvil's forehead.

"My story-teller," he said in a soft voice. "Not today, but you're getting closer."

Something about this little exchange drove straight for Legolas's heart. His eyes darted to the faces around him to see if any of his companions betrayed any kind of reaction to the scene, but there was nothing in their gazes other than affection and humor. He then watched as Haldir got to his feet, helped Pelvil up, and brushed the vanquished elf's silver hair back from his face. There was incredible warmth in Haldir's eyes, which reflected back to him from Pelvil's happy countenance. After several seconds, Haldir turned his attention to the rest of the patrol.

"Everyone to sleep," he ordered. "Luredan, Henschel, you have first watch."

As the rest of the patrol shook out their sleeping rolls and took up places around the fire, Legolas watched Haldir, and if truth be told, he was half-expecting to see him disappear into the darkness with Pelvil. Legolas felt ashamed at the thought, but he could not stop it from pressing forward into his awareness. His expectation was only partially met, though, for Haldir did step outside the ring of stones and beyond sight. But Pelvil remained within, making a place for himself next to Ardamil and close to the fire.

Legolas did not prepare for sleep. Instead, he slipped outside the stone circle and followed its outer rim around to the far side where he had seen Haldir go into the dark. He moved a few paces into the wood before hearing Haldir's voice, chanting melodiously, once again in the ancient tongue. He moved as quietly as he could, coming at last to a small clearing, only a few yards across, and here under the moonlight, he came upon Haldir, still only half-dressed, down on one knee, his head bowed.

The rhythm of the chanting, the sound of the words, Haldir's mesmerizing voice: all of it conspired to hold Legolas in place. He did not even realize that the chanting had stopped until he found Haldir standing in front of him, a neutral expression on his face.

"Is there something I can do for you, Legolas?" he asked kindly.

Legolas stammered through the beginnings of some excuse, but at last decided the truth was easier. "I'm sorry. I was eavesdropping."

"And what did you hear?"

"It sounded like . . . a prayer or something."

Haldir nodded. "It was a prayer of thanks."

"It was very beautiful."

"You should have joined me."

"I was happy just to listen, "Legolas replied. "That was Primordial Elvish again, wasn't it?"

"You recognized it?"

Legolas nodded. "It's so lyrical, so . . . transcendent. I'm surprised I have never heard it spoken before."

Haldir began walking, taking a circuitous route back towards the camp. "It is only used for ceremonial purposes now . . . and even then, rarely."

"How did you learn it?"

"My uncle taught me and my brothers. Orophin and Rumil have a rudimentary knowledge of it, enough to follow the rituals and say a few basic prayers, but not enough to carry on a conversation," Haldir replied.

"Can you carry on a conversation?"

"I'm very fluent." A sad pause. "But there are not many with whom I can converse."

"I should very much like to learn, if you be willing to teach."

Haldir did not stop walking as he cast a considering eye at Legolas. "I am willing, if your desire be genuine and fervent."

"It is, I assure you."

There was a brief pause, then Haldir nodded once. "We can begin tomorrow after the evening meal then, if you like. I have none of the scrolls or books, of course; but that will be little hindrance."

They walked on, Legolas noticed, in a wide circle around the outside of the stone ring. Haldir spoke again. "I have not been able to spend much time with you since the patrol set out. How are you getting on?"

"It has been arduous," Legolas replied honestly.

"Really?" Haldir sounded genuinely surprised.

"But nothing I can not manage," Legolas added quickly. "I was not expecting so long a journey in our first few days out."

"I only stopped here for the night because I enjoy this place. By tomorrow evening, we will have reached our patrol radius," Haldir replied. "Then, there will be a respite from all the marching."

"And what then?"

"The patrol will split into four groups and cover different areas for four or five days, gathering information on happenings in the area, scouting about for anything that seems new or amiss. Then we will regroup and move onto the next area and do the same," Haldir replied. "I will take you in my group, the first couple times at least."

Legolas smiled in the darkness. "I can hardly wait."




The next day's journey was carried out in much the same manner as in previous days. They came out of the mountainous country into a wide stretch of lowlands dotted with the villages of men. These villages, Haldir informed Legolas, were little more than watering holes along the main and lesser roads criss-crossing the region; but they were excellent places to pick up little bits of intelligence, and they offered many glimpses into the lives of men, and this, Haldir had to admit, was an object of unceasing fascination for him. For although Haldir cherished the safety and purity of life in Lorien, he was very fond of experience, one of the facets of his character that made him such an excellent patroller. It could not be said that he approved of all the things he found in the world of men, but he was well able to separate his observation of various evils from the action of embracing those evils.

And those evils were enumerated to Legolas in a fair amount of detail as Haldir led the way down into a broad, shallow valley that would mark the end of the patrol's common travel. After a few cautionary remarks and a determining of the regrouping time and location, the patrol broke into four pre-established groups. With Haldir and Legolas went Mythis and four other elves whom Legolas had met only briefly: Ascalonn, the patrol's second healer; Lostilsil, an odd combination of gentle boldness; Dolenrod, lighthearted and quickwitted; and Enthamis, the newest member of the patrol. Their destination was a town named Wayfare, and Haldir had quite a bit to say about it.

"It is not the roughest town I have been in, but nor can it be called safe. Many of the highway bandits take refuge here, and the establishments cater to them. They are not the sorts of men with whom I would wish to keep company, but they often have much to tell about the comings and goings on the highways," he explained as his group picked their way across the gorse-covered field south of the town.

"And they give their information freely?" Legolas asked, sounding doubtful.

"Several pints of drink loosens their tongues," Dolenrod replied. "Half the time it is impossible to get them to stop talking."

"The talking is not so bad," Mythis said. "They have many habits that are much worse. I hate coming to this town, especially after the beauty of the hills."

"What other habits do they have that are so awful?" This from Legolas.

"They are leering, groping creatures," Mythis answered, his voice rife with disgust. "Every time I come here, I feel like they are following my every movement and thinking indecent thoughts."

"They are," Lostilsil affirmed. "Do not forget-this was where Maynfeln was attacked. It is dangerous to let your guard down for even a moment."

"Lostilsil is right," Haldir said. "There should be no call for any of us to be found alone."

"Attacked? What do you mean, attacked? By whom?" Legolas asked.

It was Lostilsil who replied. "Some of the men outside one of the taverns - they attacked him out of lust."

"The men in these parts seem to find male Elvish beauty much to their liking," Dolenrod added.

"If it were not for Ardamil and Desmone, those men might have taken Maynfeln," Lostilsil continued. "They showed up just in time, and their rage was nothing the attackers wanted to confront."

"Was Maynfeln injured?" Legolas asked.

"Only a few bruises," Lostilsil replied. "As I said, luckily, part of the patrol showed up in time to stop them."

"All of which should call our attention to the exercise of caution," Haldir interjected, his voice strong and decisive. "We can not do our job of reconnaissance if we are timid like rabbits. But we must be vigilant when in the company of wickedness. No one is to go about alone. No one is to court confrontation. We are here to collect information; nothing more."

There was a general acknowledgement of this speech, and then the rest of the approach to Wayfare was accomplished in silence.




They procured lodgings in a barn on the outskirts of the town, Haldir feeling that it was safer to lodge with animals than the humans who patronized the various inns. Then, together, the elves walked towards the village center. Along the way, at Haldir's bidding, Lostilsil and Mythis broke off, then Ascalonn & Dolenrod, leaving Haldir, Enthamis, and Legolas alone to come at last to The Wayfarer's Hide, a derelict-in-appearance tavern that, from the sound of things, was anything but deserted inside.

Before entering, Haldir turned to the other two elves and reminded them, "We are here to gather information. All that is required of the two of you is that you listen and observe. Elves are not a common sight in this town. It has been more than six months since the patrol was last here. Enthamis, I am sure you have not forgotten the dangers." His gaze moved to Legolas. "Don't do anything provocative."

They left the street and entered the tavern. It was a dim place, dank with the smell of alcohol, as if the very floor and walls breathed the stuff. Torches smoked in the corners, candles burned on the tables, and lanterns lung from the ceiling. From one end to the other, the main room was filled with the sweating, stinking bodies of men and the painted bodies of the women that entertained them. There was much going on: drinking, laughing, singing, gaming. The arrival of the three elves occasioned only a brief lull in the intensity of the evening's pleasures as most eyes regarded the strangers with dull interest. They certainly stood out among the tavern's patrons, but Haldir was so casual, so confident that very soon he and his companions were seated at a table and attentions had shifted back to their original occupations.

Haldir ordered three mugs of ale, with the warning that, "You must not drink very much of it. It is foul stuff, but it looks better to have it before you than to simply be seen watching."

Legolas tasted the mug's contents. "I find it rather agreeable," he announced.

"That is your Mirkwood palate," Enthamis poked.

They talked quietly among themselves, but always they were listening for any interesting tidbit, any worthwhile piece of news. At length, Haldir motioned them close, and they leaned across the table to listen to him.

"I am going into the dark rooms," he said, his eyes darting towards a door in the back of the tavern, covered by a heavy curtain. Throughout the night, a steady stream of men and women had been seen going through the doorway. From their fulfilled appearance upon coming out from the 'dark rooms', it was clear what was being carried on inside. "You are both to stay here at this table until I come back. I do not want to have to go searching for either one of you."

Haldir saw the expression of surprise-near horror, in fact-that appeared on Legolas's face, and he knew that the Greenleaf was contemplating Haldir's participation in the activities that went on in the dark rooms. "The humans behind those curtains are the best sources of information," Haldir said glibly. "And an elf doesn't have to do much to gain that information." He did not linger long enough to see that his comment had done nothing to ease the concern and disbelief. Instead, he made directly for the curtain and disappeared behind it, leaving Legolas too stunned to speak for several long seconds.

But it was Enthamis who spoke first. "It is not possible that he would subject himself to such attentions simply to extract some little piece of news. That would contradict everything I know about him." His words betrayed the fact that he was not completely clear on what Haldir was doing behind the curtain.

Legolas shook his head, dumbfounded. "It would be . . . shocking," he admitted.

The two of them sat there, pondering. As the minutes passed without either of them saying anything, Legolas began to feel a strange sense of anxiety. What was Haldir back there? What information could he possibly be gathering, and what was he doing to get it? His mind was rapidly filling with ghastly images of Haldir entwined in the sordid arms of those who awaited in the darkness, giving their pleasures to any and all comers, so long as there was a bit of pay to be had in the deal.

He fought his anxiousness as long as he could, but after nearly an hour, he could bear it no longer. He got abruptly to his feet. "We should go back there. He may in trouble," he stated forcefully, although possible 'trouble' played no real part in his concerns.

But Enthamis was not moved. "No, that is not a good idea," he disagreed. "The captain can take care of himself."

"But it's been an hour," Legolas persisted. "No one else has stayed back there that long. Any news he was trying to get, he should have gotten by now. There's no reason for him to be back there so long."

"He may be working on more than one-" Enthamis began, but Legolas cut him off with a mournful groan that almost sounded as if the Prince of Mirkwood had been wounded.

"Say no more!" Legolas cried. "We must go back there and get him!"

Enthamis also now got to his feet, just as a heavy hand fell upon Legolas's shoulder. A throaty voice spoke in slurred syllables. "Why all the commotion?"

Legolas turned to see a broad, red-faced man with yellowing eyes and dripping forehead regarding him with an expression of drunken interest. Nearby, several more men had turned their attention in the elves' direction.

"It is a matter of private business," Legolas replied, stepping out from under the man's hand.

"You're not making it very private," came the response. "Looks like you're distressed. Maybe I can do something to help." He sucked on his lower lip and his eyes slid down the length of Legolas's body.

Enthamis drew back his cloak to reveal the sword at his side in an obvious gesture of intimidation. "Thank you for your offer, but we require no assistance."

A second man, large and feral in appearance, approached from the scattered onlookers. "Where's your leader?"

Enthamis moved to stand in between Legolas and the two men. "He is not far."

"You're right about that," the feral man sneered. "I think I saw him go into the back room, didn't I? I'm sure he's engaged in his own business. And if he's enjoying himself, why shouldn't you pretty things enjoy yourselves?"

Enthamis's right hand went to his sword hilt. "We are perfectly content in each other's company. Depart from us, now, for we wish no trouble."

"We wish no trouble, either," the first man replied. He took a step back, coaxing his companion to retreat with him, until they faded into the crowd.

Enthamis and Legolas sat back down.

"Do not do anything to draw any further attention to us," Enthamis warned quietly.

"But what about Haldir?" Legolas demanded, although he kept his voice low. "I don't like what that man said . . . I'm afraid something may have happened to him."

"We will wait a few more minutes. If he does not come out, we will both go back there to look for him," Enthamis replied. "But in the meantime, we can not afford to get into a scrape."

Legolas accepted this grudgingly. He found himself looking every few seconds at the curtain, hoping to see Haldir emerge. But while patron after patron came through the opening, Haldir was not among them.

"Enthamis-" he began, about to insist that they had waited long enough. But at that moment, there came the sound of a great excitement from the street. Both Legolas and Enthamis turned their attention towards the doorway, through which many of the tavern's occupants were now pouring out into the street to see what was happening.

Legolas heard a low voice at his ear. "Your friend is out there, and he's in trouble." Legolas turned to see one of the tavern's harlots walking away. It was she who had spoken.

Without a word to Enthamis, Legolas rushed towards the door, pushing through the mass of reeking bodies. In the center of the dirt road, he could see a tight knot of at least a dozen men, moving in agitation and excitement.

Back inside the tavern, Enthamis stood in confusion for a moment. He called after Legolas but to no avail. Then he caught sight of the woman who had whispered into Legolas's ear. She was falling into the arms of a man at the bar and laughing, then she and the man moved towards the door, intent on viewing whatever it was going on in the street.

Enthamis did not go outside. Instead, he went to the curtain, pushed it aside, and went into the dark rooms.

Outside, Legolas headed for the men in the road. He was almost upon them, when the circle opened up to reveal the two men who had confronted him and Enthamis inside the Wayfarer's Hide. Haldir was not among the group, and as Legolas cast a shocked glance back over his shoulder, he saw that he was now surrounded by a maliciously anxious cordon of men. His arm flashed up to snatch an arrow from his quiver, and he managed to take down three of the men, before he was overcome by their numbers. He was passed roughly from man to man, their hands grasping and reaching, until he found himself in the steely grip of the feral man.

"Here's a bit o' fun, then!" the man laughed. "Elf warriors are prettier than our own maids!" His companions joined in the laughter. "You all can take your turns after me!"

Legolas twisted violently, but his struggles only fueled his captor's lurid excitement. The man was trying to force him to his knees, and he was succeeding.

"Enthamis!!" Legolas shouted. "Enthamis!!"

But it was not Enthamis's voice that answered.

"Release him!"

Legolas looked up and spotted Haldir through the cluster of bodies around him. The Captain of the Wide Patrol was standing in the center of the road, his bow unslung, an arrow in position. The power of his voice rose above the commotion, drawing everyone's attention. And while his presence made some of the assaulters quail, others were less squeamish.

"Why don't you come and get him, Elf?" the feral man replied, twisting around and holding Legolas in front of him.

"Release him or I will kill you," Haldir said with impeccable calm, but there was no doubting the seriousness in his voice.

"Then kill me! But be careful not to hit him!" the man laughed. He had barely finished his sentence when an arrow struck him in the shoulder. He roared with pain and rage, his hold on Legolas broken. Legolas dove away from him as Haldir let fly with another arrow, this time catching the man in the other shoulder.

Legolas rolled to safety at the edge of the road, his head coming up just in time to see a horseman approaching Haldir from behind, sword raised.

"Behind you!!" he cried out, scrabbling to his feet.

Haldir turned but instead of getting out the way, he stood his ground as the horse drew near. Legolas's voice erupted in a scream as the animal bore down upon Haldir, but then he found himself staring in awe as Haldir suddenly swung in front of the animal and up onto its back, knocking the rider from the saddle in the same maneuver. Legolas was still looking on in shock as Haldir plowed through the rest of the attackers, riding them down and scattering them into the darkness, just as Enthamil arrived with Ascalonn and Dolenrod, all three of whom had their bows ready. Within seconds, the crowd had dispersed, deciding that all the tales of the sorcery and trickery that surrounded elves were true, and that to confront even one was to court disaster.

Haldir slid from the saddle and approached Legolas directly. "Are you alright?" he asked, taking gentle hold of Legolas's arms and eyeing him closely.

"Yes," Legolas replied quietly. "Just a little shaken."

"How did this happen?" Haldir asked as Enthamis, Ascalonn and Dolenrod joined them.

"There was a ruckus out in the road, and one of the women said you were in trouble-" Legolas began, but he stopped when he saw the look in Haldir's eyes. It was a frightful expression.

"I told you to stay in the tavern, at the table."

"I know that, but I couldn't just sit still when I thought you might be in need of help," Legolas replied.

"And was I in need of help?" Haldir's voice seethed with quiet rage.

Legolas blanched. "No. It was a trick."

"A trick to lure you outside," Haldir expounded, and Legolas shrunk slightly away from the look of anger that accompanied the voice. "Did you listen to nothing that I said when we approached this village? Did you think we were all speaking warnings for our own benefit? We have experience here! We do not talk to amuse ourselves or to have you ignore our words."

Ascalonn put an arm around Legolas's shoulders in a gesture of comfort and with the hope of deflecting some of Haldir's ire, but he did not speak.

"I thought I was doing the right thing," Legolas insisted.

Haldir turned sharply to Enthamis. "Why did you not stop him?"

"I am sorry, Nikerym. I thought only to find you," Enthamis replied, looking Haldir in the eye.

Haldir grunted something unintelligible, then spoke more clearly. "Well, find me you did. I suppose that is something. And you did well in finding Ascalonn and Dolenrod. Come, we are going back to the farm. The night's work is over. Dolenrod, go fetch Mythis and Lostilsil."

"Yes, Nikerym," Dolenrod replied. He winked encouragingly at Legolas as he left.

Haldir led the way back towards the outskirts of the town. Ascalonn followed, then Legolas beside Enthamis.

"I am sorry I got you into trouble," Legolas whispered.

Enthamis grinned in the moonlight. "Don't be sorry. Just be careful. Even if you get out of a dangerous situation, you still have Haldir to contend with."

"As I noticed," Legolas replied. "Will he ignore me now?"

"Hardly." Enthamis almost laughed. "He will wait until his anger cools, then he will torment you relentlessly until you have decided that you will never again do anything so foolish as to disobey even the slightest of his wishes."

Legolas liked the challenging sound of Enthamis's words. "Is that so?"

"It is," Enthamis replied with certitude.

"Are you speaking from experience?"

"I am. Even though I am still fairly new to the patrol, I have had my share of dressing-downs over things I should not have done." He leaned close and lowered his voice even more. "But the others tell me that such is Haldir's way, that he makes such a fuss only because each individual warrior is important to him. It is almost a mark of affection."

Legolas's eyes narrowed with interest. "Indeed? I am not quite sure I believe that, so I will have to take your word for it."




The barn was comfortable. Haldir had known it would be. He detested sleeping in the travelers' inns - the cramped rooms, the infested mattresses, the abiding smell of urine, the incessant noise of other travelers. He much preferred the sweet smell of straw, the quiet of the barnyard, and the much greater safety that removed lodgings afforded.

He lay now deep in the warmth of the piled hay with his sleeping roll behind his head, absorbed in thought as the rest of his small patrol tended to their weapons in the glow of the lanterns or engaged in quiet conversations of their own. He was not surprised to find that this thoughts centered on the events of the evening, and particularly on Legolas. There was definitely an impetuous edge to the Prince of Mirkwood, and that could prove dangerous if left uncorrected. Only how was Haldir to correct a prince without ruffling the feathers of diplomacy? It seemed clear to Haldir that while Legolas was kind and fun-loving and eager-to-please, he was also pampered and used to doing things his own way, and those ways apparently had never been questioned. His charm and beauty had made his actions acceptable-even the most reckless and irresponsible of those actions. Haldir could sense it even within the patrol: Legolas had only to smile, utter a few words of contrition, and his wrongs would be reshaped into inexperience, mistakes, or doing what he thought was right. Why, even Haldir could feel himself being worked upon! This last fact worried him more than anything else, for Haldir liked to consider himself above such superficial attractions as a quick wit and a pleasing face. Still, he could not deny that he found Legolas to be a likeable and entertaining elf, and he knew that he had been assigned this task because his Lord thought highly of him and trusted him to look after Legolas, certainly with the expectation that a positive report would be sent back to Mirkwood on the hospitality of the Lorien elves, not to mention their warrior prowess. And so, although Haldir had not chosen Legolas to be in his patrol, in the patrol he was; and Haldir was determined to appreciate his presence at the same time as molding him into an elf worthy of being in the Wide Patrol.

A movement in the corner of his eye caught his attention, and he turned his head to see Legolas standing next to him.

"You said you would teach me Primordial Elvish after the evening meal," Legolas said. "We got a little sidetracked, so I was wondering if you would teach me now."

'So nonchalant,' Haldir observed inwardly, but aloud, he replied with a simple, "Certainly." He sat up as Legolas sat down.

"The first thing I shall teach you is 'Enyeren'," Haldir began.

"Enyeren," Legolas repeated , eyes bright with curiosity. "What does it mean?"

"It means, 'I'm sorry'," Haldir said smoothly.

Legolas's curiosity softened into an expression of forgiveness. "You don't need to apologize, Haldir. You were angry, and justifiably so."

Haldir stared at Legolas in dumbfounded silence for a moment. Legolas had completely missed his meaning. It was amazing that Legolas could even imagine that Haldir was apologizing for something that was so clearly Legolas's own fault.

"I was thinking you might have much occasion to use the phrase," Haldir said evenly. "But perhaps I was wrong. I now think that it would be the last thing to come to your mind."

Legolas mulled over these words. Haldir's face was placid and the words were spoken without malice, but Legolas discerned that a lesson was in the making. "What makes you say that?"

"Probably because of the fact that I have yet to hear you say it," Haldir replied.

"I did what I thought was right," Legolas protested.

"We all are guilty of doing what we think is right, even after we have been instructed otherwise," Haldir countered. "You thought you knew better than those with more experience."

"Someone told me you were in trouble. What should I have done?" Legolas's tone was one of contained defiance.

"You should have deferred to Enthamis's judgment," Haldir replied. "He knows better than you how to handle such a situation-"

"He is not much older than I am, and he is only a recent addition to the patrol," Legolas interrupted.

"Recent being measured in years, Legolas," Haldir stated emphatically. "He is more experienced than you are, and this evening's events bear that fact out. He went to see if he could find me instead of rushing out into trouble. He knows me well enough to know that it is extremely unlikely that I would be caught out by a crowd of drunken men."

Legolas was still defiant. "But I don't know you that well, so I did-"

"That is precisely the point. You don't know me that well, and so you acted without consideration. I concede that your actions might have been appropriate for a new patrol member who found himself without the benefit of another with more experience; but that was not the case tonight," Haldir chastised. "You can not always lean on your own understanding. There are times when the only sensible course of action is to defer to someone else's judgment."

This was an argument Legolas knew he was not going to win, and in truth, he did not want to win if it meant angering Haldir, because there were still things on Legolas's mind that he intended to pursue, so it would be senseless to aggravate the one elf capable of answering those questions. "Enyeren," he said.

"You are forgiven." Haldir's words were spoken with sincerity, and a mild smile broke over his face. "I have no plan as to how to teach the language to someone. You are the first to ever ask me, other than the odd query from my brothers every now and then. But I will start with something I think you might enjoy." He then recited several lines, slowly and rhythmically. As he spoke, he looked Legolas straight in the eye, seeing the flicker of the lanterns reflected there. When he had finished, he asked, "Did any of the words sound similar to words you know?"

Legolas had to answer truthfully that he heard no similarity.

"Listen more closely." This time Haldir sang the words, and Legolas recognized the melody. Suddenly, the words had a familiar sound-so much so that Legolas was stunned that he had not noticed it before.

"Anhumat!" Legolas cried out in pleasure. "It is the song of Anhumat!"

"Precisely. The very one you sang that night at the fountain. Listen again, then try to sing it with me," Haldir instructed.

Opposite them, Ascalonn and Mythis looked on unobtrusively. A knowing smile passed between the two of them as they noted Legolas's enthusiasm at Haldir's instruction and Haldir's gentle tutelage-far removed from the scolding he had delivered upon his language student only moments earlier. This was their captain at his finest; he had made his point in correcting Legolas's behavior, and now he was assuring not only Legolas, but everyone else, that the moment was over and that things were as they should be.

Haldir busily explained the meanings of words, various conjugations, and sentence structure; and Legolas drank in every word, never taking his eyes from the face of his tutor. Haldir noticed this fixed attention, and he was pleased by it, until his conscience informed him that his pleasure was nothing other than his pride being fueled.

It was early in the morning when Haldir ended the session, stating that at least a little bit of sleep was required. The rest of the patrol had already turned in for the night, except Enthamis, who had the watch.

Legolas made a place for himself near Haldir, who had already wrapped his cloak about him and settled deep into the straw. And although Legolas agreed that sleep was a good idea, he simply was not interested in it. "Haldir?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Did you find out anything when you went into the dark rooms?" Legolas's voice was almost timid.

"A few things," came the casual reply.

"Anything of consequence?"

"Perhaps. It is never easy to tell until the information has been verified," Haldir answered, sounding completely disinterested.

But Legolas was not ready to give up. His mind would not disengage from conjecture over what had happened earlier that night when Haldir had passed into the dark rooms. He had been suppressing his ever-increasing desire to know the truth of Haldir's dealings ever since returning to the barn. Now, he was ready to probe for some revelation.

"I suppose you have regular contacts here that provide you with information," he prompted.

"I wouldn't call them contacts as such," Haldir replied. "They are used to seeing me on occasion, and things come up in our conversation that may be useful. They have no idea that I am reconnoitering, nor would they care even if they did know."

"I imagine they must be very willing to talk to you," Legolas continued. "And in the dark rooms . . . well, I think there must be a lot of loose tongues behind that curtain."

"Some are looser than others, but as I said earlier, it doesn't take much to get any of them to talk," Haldir replied. "It is one of my more subtle skills."

Legolas felt a surge of disgust and disappointment course painfully through his body. The thought of such a 'subtle' skill and its less-than-honorable uses being thrown away on beings who could not even begin to appreciate its giver distressed Legolas in a way he could not begin to fathom. The idea that Haldir would abase his own self, his worth, and his dignity by trading his body for information . . .

The thought was unbearable. But Haldir's next words were enough to drive Legolas to retreat.

"You will learn how to do it, as well."

Legolas's innards twisted into knots. "It is unlikely," he replied, his voice uncharacteristically cold. He rolled onto his side, away from Haldir. "Good night."




Haldir led his elves out of Wayfare the following morning. There were two more towns on their route before they were to meet up with the rest of patrol. They did not travel along the roads, Haldir being wary of highwaymen and other more sinister eyes. Instead, they kept to trails that ran along the edges of woods, beneath the eastern shadows of the southern reaches of the Misty Mountains.

The morning's pace was leisurely, although the sky was growing dark and heavy with cloud. By early afternoon, thunder could be heard bounding over the plains to meet the foothills, and the smell of rain was in the air. At this point, Haldir quickened the pace. There was a series of caves less than a league away, and it was still possible that their cover might be reached before the rains began to fall.

Haldir trotted along at the front of the group, following a faint trail just inside the wood's edge. Above and around him were the sounds of the wood; to his right, the sounds of the open fields. But from both quarters came tittering expressions of excitement and laughter from the wild creatures, urging the band of elves to make haste, for a storm of considerable anger was coming. Haldir had the impression that the creatures were wagering amongst themselves as to whether or not the elves would make it in time.

Ahead of him, a brightly plumed hebeke flitted from tree to tree, like a woodland guide, giving the repeated assurance of, 'Not much further! Not much further!' At last, the first of the caves was reached just as large drops began to fall through the thin canopy of leaves overhead.

"You timed it perfectly, Nikerym!" Lostilsil proclaimed, turning in the mouth of the cave to see the heavens open their floodgates. "You do this sort of thing to make us even more in awe of you, is that not so?"

Haldir grinned. "It would not bother me for you to think that." He cast off his pack and quiver, then stood beside Lostilsil, admiring the storm's sudden fury. "I think we shall be here for some time. Our business is not urgent; there is no need to travel in the rain."

"It is a cold rain, and I imagine we will want a fire soon. Do you suppose there's a single piece of dry wood still to be had out there?" Lostilsil asked.

"Of course, there is, and you know where to find it," Haldir answered.

Lostilsil frowned with great drama. "Can we not ask for volunteers?"

Haldir slapped Lostilsil on the back. "Volunteers to go with you."

"If I must," Lostilsil conceded, then to the others, "Who will come with me?"

"I will," replied Legolas, speaking for the first time that morning, drawing everyone's attention. He had made the journey that morning in brooding silence, angry at Haldir for throwing virtue into the grimed hands of Elbererth knew how many partakers, angry at the rest of the patrol for letting him do it, and angry at himself for not being able to figure out why it should matter to him so much anyway. But now, he wanted nothing more than to be away from his companions, if only for a short time, in order to recollect himself.

"Very good, then." Lostilsil pulled his hood over his head, drew his cloak around him, and nearly shouted, "Follow me!"

Legolas followed him through the dripping rain. Within the wood, the wind lost its force and what was a driving rain turned into a sploshing rain, pouring cascade-like, towards the forest floor. Lostilsil was very fast, and after only a couple minutes, he had led them to a second cave. Here, they found a fair stock of wood and kindling stored neatly and dryly inside.

Lostilsil threw back his hood and gave a good-humored grin. "Well, now that I am wet clear through, I have a good mind to build the fire here and force the rest of them to come to us!" When Legolas made no reply, Lostilsil looked at him intently. "Are you unwell, Legolas?"

"I am fine," came the terse answer.

"You haven't said a word all morning," Lostilsil noted. "You are not disturbed about what happened yesterday, are you?"

Legolas almost gave another brush-aside, but he thought suddenly that perhaps here he might get some answers. "That depends on which event you are referring to," he said.

"The men," Lostilsil replied.

"The incident with the men did not distress me," Legolas replied. "I am more afraid that I will never be able to understand the way things work in the patrol."

Lostilsil eyed him curiously. "What do you find difficult?"

"I am troubled by the manner of collecting information," Legolas replied.

"What, in particular, troubles you?"

Legolas answered with a question. "Have you ever been in the Wayfarer's Hide?"

"Many, many times," Lostilsil replied.

"And have you been into the dark rooms?"

Lostilsil eyed Legolas with interest. "I have." He saw the distressed look on Legolas's face. "That disturbs you?"

Legolas hesitated. "I must admit that it does."

"Why is that?"

Legolas turned a surprised expression to him. "It was not something I expected."

"What were you expecting?"

"I was not expecting my captain to-to use his body to draw out information," Legolas admitted.

Lostilsil stared dumbfounded at Legolas. "Is that what you think?"

"It was clear what was going on in those rooms," Legolas replied. "When Haldir went back there, what else could he have been doing?"

"Haldir has only to turn a certain glance upon a person or another elf, and there comes over them a willingness, even a desire, to give him whatever he wants," Lostilsil said. "All elves have, to a certain degree, the ability to prevail upon men; but Haldir is an exception even among elves. He has a powerful allure. He doesn't have to use his body, and he would never allow any of us to do so, either."

"But then why would he go back there?" Legolas persisted.

"It affords more privacy, for one thing," Lostilsil replied. "And it offers a better opportunity to focus our attentions without drawing too much notice." He cocked his head and regarded Legolas curiously. "Did you really think Haldir was trading his body for information?"

Legolas felt the warmth of shame come into his face. He did not answer, but Lostilsil continued regardless.

"You still have much to learn about him if you would entertain such an idea." His words were spoken amiably. "He is the last elf who would compromise himself-in any matter or form."

"I feel very bad now," Legolas groaned.

"You needn't feel bad. Does Haldir know what you were thinking?"

"No, I didn't tell him," Legolas replied.

"Then don't fret over it. Now you know the truth, and you won't be as suspicious when you see the captain do things that seem odd or contrary," Lostilsil said.

Legolas nodded unconvincingly. He still felt the weight of a guilty conscience, and he wondered why he had been so sure that Haldir would participate in such activities, when now it seemed clear as the light of day that he would not. Indeed, now the very idea struck him as ludicrous.

Lostilsil began piling wood into Legolas's arms with no indication that their discussion was any more on his mind, yet his comments had raised new questions in Legolas's mind.

"Has Haldir ever won you over with just a glance, as you say?" he asked.

An expression of fond remembrance settled on Lostilsil's features as he continued to load the wood. "More times than I can recall."

"He really has that ability?"

"You've seen it yourself," Lostilsil replied. "That night at the fountain, you experienced it first-hand."

Legolas colored. "What?"

"It is nothing to be ashamed of. It has happened to all of us," Lostilsil replied.

"I am not sure I understand what you are talking about," Legolas said cautiously, although in fact, he had a very good idea what Lostilsil was talking about.

"Just the sheer joy of being in his company," Lostilsil replied casually. "You were very happy to be around him."

This, Legolas saw no sense in denying. "That is true. I do enjoy his company. But beyond that, I still do not comprehend your meaning."

Lostilsil cast him a studied glance. "You asked me if Haldir has ever won me over by a glance. I answered yes. I told you that you had witnessed him doing it first-hand that first night at the fountain. If you tell me you did not sense anything in yourself or those around you, then I will take your word for it; but I will claim that you are quite unfortunate. It a great thing, indeed, to feel what Haldir has to give." He stepped to the mouth of the cave, drawing his cloak over his bundle. "You are in a unique position, Prince of Mirkwood-"

Here, Legolas drew up in surprise, for he had not realized that anyone else in the patrol other than Haldir and his brothers had been told of his royal status.

Lostilsil went on. "He has been specifically appointed to look after you during your time in Lorien. He will do an excellent job. You should take advantage of the gift that has been offered to you." He did not wait for Legolas's reply, but stepped out into the rain. "We had better hurry, before they come searching for us!"

Legolas watched him for a moment, contemplating his words, before following his lead back to where Haldir was waiting.