The Face of the Sun by Nildrohain

The rain gave no sign of letting up. In fact, the storm seemed to be riding waves of intensity, each greater than the next. By early evening Haldir had decided that the patrol would stay in the cave for the night. He sent another mission of two elves out to bring more wood; and after a light meal, the elves settled down to various pursuits in the firelight.

Haldir approached Legolas right away. "Are you ready for another lesson?"

"That depends on what it is," Legolas replied, surprised at his own purposeful ironic tone.

Haldir regarded him without any appearance of puzzlement. "A language lesson," he replied, sitting down.

Legolas felt a strange tenseness arise in him as Haldir sat down. He felt guilt; but more than that, he felt almost threatened. A fear arose in him that Haldir's presence might, in fact, force him into an exhibition of emotion that would do nothing other than prove Lostilsil's earlier contentions.

'Mesmerized. He said I was mesmerized!' Legolas could not get Lostilsil's words out of his head. It had been a bold thing to say, and Legolas had spent the better part of the rain-bound afternoon trying to convince himself that Lostilsil had simply been seeing things, letting his imagination get the best of him. But now Haldir was sitting beside him, all warmth and friendliness; and as Legolas kept replaying that night at the fountain in his mind, the feelings he had experienced began to creep into his consciousness until he was hardly able to concentrate on what Haldir was teaching him, and even the briefest glance at his captain made him nervous and self-conscious.

'By Elbereth, what if it's true? What if Haldir is gaining some kind of hold over me? Was I so spellbound by his song that night? Ah, this is ridiculous! I'm worrying over nothing. I admire him, yes; so what is in that? It's expected that I would esteem my captain.

"Legolas, are you hearing anything I am saying?"

Legolas looked up abruptly and directly into Haldir's eyes. It had been nearly an hour since they had started the lesson, and yet it seemed as if only seconds had gone by. The blood rushed into Legolas's cheeks, but not due to Haldir's question. Suddenly, looking intently into Haldir's eyes seemed like inviting a hypnotist to work his magic.

"I'm sorry. I'm having trouble concentrating," Legolas apologized.

"Then why don't we take a break and hear some story-telling?" Haldir suggested.

From the other side of the fire, Lostilsil spoke up. "What about a song instead of a story? We haven't heard our captain sing since we set out."

Legolas shot a stricken, perturbed glance at Lostilsil. What was he trying to do, make Legolas more wretched than he already was? But a moment's consideration, and his ire was short-lived, for he began to consider that another song presented the opportunity for him to prove to himself that he was not succumbing to whatever power it was that Haldir was purported to exert over others.

"Very well," Haldir consented. "Stoke the fire first."

Legolas leapt to his feet. "I'll tend to it." He placed a couple more logs on the fire, then sat down on the opposite side of the flames from Haldir. The distance gave him a sense of safety, but only increased his fear that there was, indeed, something to hide from.

"Lostilsil, it was your suggestion for a song," Haldir stated. "Is there anything you wish to hear?"

"You know my favorite, Nikerym," Lostilsil replied. "I am always happy to hear it."

Haldir smiled. "Very well." There was a brief moment of silence, then he closed his eyes and began to sing. Once again, it was in the ancient tongue; but this time, without the instruments, it had an ephemeral quality that made disappear the rain, the cold walls of the cave, the warmth and brightness of the fire, the dampness of the earth, and the sounds of wild nature. In a matter of seconds, the only existences were those of the elves and the song, and . . .

. . . and something that Legolas could not put his finger on. Another reality abided in that space, and it was palpable, undeniable. Still, what it was precisely, Legolas did not know. Yet, that hardly seemed to matter at the moment. Something else was taking place in the cave, and it was this transformation that Legolas found himself swept up into.

'Layta Heru, i Menel ar Valar Layta Heru, i Uri ar Isil Layta Heru, i Air ear Eleni Layta Heru, i Ur ar Nique Layta Heru, i Ross ear Nixe Layta Heru, i Aria r Dosme Layta Heru, i Domi ar B'rona Layta Heru, i Gala ar Mornie Layta Heru, I Oronti ar Fanya'

The song continued on and on, drifting up to encompass its listeners. It was an even more incredible experience than had been the song at the fountain; for here, the smallness of their company lent an intimacy that surpassed anything Legolas had known before. And in that moment, he did not care if he were falling under a spell or not; he only wanted more- more of the song, more of the feeling it wrought within him, more of the elf who was singing it. He looked at Haldir through the flames, which, although only seconds ago had seemed to vanish, now suddenly seemed to be burning with renewed vigor and brightness. Then, very slowly, all the things that had faded into the background of the song began to manifest themselves with greater vibrancy. And still the song continued. The wind and the rain grew fiercer. The thunder raged loud enough to shake the hillsides. Even the air seemed to vibrate.

And Legolas watched Haldir. Above all the tumult, his voice could still be heard, rhythmic and melodiously serene. The subtle glow that shone in the faces of all the Lorien elves was unmistakably of greater brilliance in Haldir's features as he sang. The very air around him shimmered. Legolas sat in amazement, wondering what this was that he was privileged to witness it. For a short few moments, he broke away from his trance-like stare at Haldir and looked over the rest of the elves. They appeared to be in the same rapturous joy that had enveloped Legolas. And Lostilsil, in particular, gazed openly at his captain with an expression that was nothing short of adoration.

At last, the song came to an end, and the surreal atmosphere began to fade.

Lostilsil was the first to speak. "Tremendous. It is always tremendous. I am ever in wonder at how you can do that."

Haldir, looking up from bowed head, spoke in a voice of fatigue. "It is not I. You know that."

"You are the one who asks," Mythis put forth. "It is almost frightening how readily you are answered." He drew in a deep breath. "I love that song."

"Yes," Haldir agreed quietly. "It is one of my favorites, as well." He lay back with his head on the ground, clearly but not utterly spent. "Someone else, then. Who will sing now?"

Ascalonn was next, and he was not half-way through his ode when Legolas noticed Dolenrod prodding Mythis surreptitiously in the side. Legolas followed their gaze, and it led to Haldir, who appeared to be asleep. Mythis grinned then motioned to Ascalonn to lower his voice. Ascalonn continued singing in a near-whisper-a gentle, soothing sound-almost, Legolas realized suddenly, like a lullaby.

When Ascalonn had finished, Mythis leaned over his captain, then nodded to the rest of them. "Time to call it a night." He cast a humorous glance at Lostilsil. "Of all the songs, you had to pick that one."

"I could not help it. Not only is it a favorite of mine, but of all of us, including Haldir," Lostilsil replied plaintively.

"Yes, especially Haldir. You know what that song does to him," Mythis said back to him.

Legolas moved over to where Mythis stood next to Haldir. "What has happened?" he asked, sounding more worried than he had intended.

Mythis smiled. "Nothing has happened, Legolas. He is asleep." A glance at Lostilsil. "That particular song drains him of almost all his energy every time."

Legolas took a closer look at Haldir. Already, he appeared to be in a deep sleep. "He told me after the song at the fountain that he was exhausted, that the song had taken a lot out of him. And here again, but a different song . . ."

"They are not just songs, Legolas," Dolenrod said, shaking out his own cloak and laying it over Haldir's body. "They are ancient prayers. When Haldir sings them, to us it is entertainment. To him, it is something entirely different."

"Prayers?" Legolas looked up with questioning eyes.

"He has been singing them for as long as I can remember," Dolenrod continued. "All of them do this to him, to a greater or lesser degree. This song has a very strong effect on him, as you can see."

"But why? How?" Legolas asked.

"Are you being genuine, Legolas?" Mythis asked. "Did you feel nothing during that song? Did you notice nothing?"

Legolas hesitated, then spoke carefully. "I must admit, it was an incredible experience. I thought . . . it seemed like everything was more intense while he was singing."

"Then you did notice it," Mythis said with a nod of approval. "I would have been worried if you had not."

"What exactly was going on?" Legolas asked.

"If any of us could explain it, we'd tell you; but we've been witnessing it for centuries and are no closer to understanding it than we were in the beginning," Mythis replied. "We at least know the prayer he sang tonight and what it means, having heard it so many times. We ask for it a great deal, probably more than we should and for all the wrong reasons. It's very simple. He implores the hills and the fire and the rain and the stars, on and on the list goes-he implores them to sing praise. And then . . . they do." Seeing Legolas's stunned expression, he went on. "The fire burns higher, the stars shine brighter, the wind blows harder . . . you can actually see and hear and feel the difference. It's one of the most fascinating experiences any of us have ever had."

"But-but he is only a Captain of the Galadhrim," Legolas protested. "He doesn't have the ability to work miracles."

"Indeed not," Mythis replied. "Even the Lady Galadriel can not work miracles. But Haldir has never claimed to be responsible for the things that happen when he sings the prayers. He says it is all the Valar's doing, carrying out the will of Aluvater in response to his prayer."

"Aluvater . . . but that . . . that sort of worship is long over. How does he know these prayers?"

"Not so long over as you imagine," Mythis replied. "But he learned them from his uncle. More than that, I will leave him to tell you himself. Right now, we had better turn in. I will take the first watch."




The following morning dawned under a drizzling sky. Haldir deemed it was fair enough traveling weather, and the elves made ready to depart their shelter.

"Could you not prevail upon the clouds to disperse that we might travel under the sun?" Ascalonn asked Haldir as they stepped out into the fine, dampening mist.

Haldir put a hand on Ascalonn's shoulder. "Would you have me fall out again? That would require another song, and I am barely recovered from the last one. I sometimes believe that the only reason any of you ask me to sing for you is because you are trying to put me to sleep. What sorts of nefarious activities do you all get up to when I am made unconscious by your own requests?"

"We go cavorting with dwarves and wizards," Ascalonn replied.

"Of this, I would not be surprised," Haldir said.

"Shall we continue on to Ambling, Nikerym? Or shall we make directly for Potterspot?" Lostilsil asked, preparing to take the lead.

"We lost the whole day yesterday," Haldir replied. "So, I think we may bypass Ambling and go to Potterspot. The other patrols will be expecting to meet up with us the evening after next. Yes, straight on to Potterspot."

It took four hours to reach Potterspot, a picturesque village nestled in the vale between two arms of low hills reaching down from the Misty Mountains. Unlike Wayfare, Potterspot was rural and peaceful, its residents preferring quiet isolation to the hubbub of the towns closer to the highways.

Here, Lostilsil led them to a beautiful, rustic house set off in the wood just beyond the village's northern border. Instead of a barn, they were shown into the house by a short, stout woman by the name of Joanalind, whose round cheeks were red-splotched and whose graying hair was gathered into a ball on the top of her head.

"My elf-lads!" she proclaimed, ushering them into a large, open sitting room and tugging at their packs. "I were wonderin' when you boys a' be coming back. Is been o'er six months, at leas'."

Haldir bowed elegantly. "Seven months, good lady-"

"Don't 'good lady' me!" Joanalind refused, waving a shooing hand at him. "I may be good, but I'n a not any lady. No high blood in these veins!"

"Then I shall call you a good woman," Haldir replied. "Have you room enough for us tonight and tomorrow?"

"I would make room you," Joanalind said. "Best vis'ters ever been under this roof." She herded them towards a long, heavy, wooden table with matching benches. "Sit, sit! You mus' be starved, and don' tell me you been eatin' that elf stuff. Ain't no way to feed grown men." She saw the wry look Mythis gave her. "Eh, and you, Mr Pretty Face, I'll call you a man, if I feels like it. Sit down and I'll serve you up somethin'll put some meat on those skinny bones."

An hour later, the table was buried beneath empty plates and carafes, mugs and clean-picked bones. Joanalind had spent the greater part of the hour talking and asking questions without waiting for answers. She fussed and fretted over her guests, scolding them for going about in damp clothes, for stopping in such a wicked town as Wayfare, and for having been away for so long. By the time she had finished, the sky had cleared and the sun came streaming through the warped glass of the windowpanes.

Haldir moved to the window and looked out. "It looks like it will be a fine afternoon. I fancy a hike up to the Bird's Eye."

A collective groan rose from the group of elves.

Haldir turned a challenging eye on them. "Do you fear a bit of competition?"

"You always win. There is no competition," Lostilsil replied.

"Come now . . . after agreeing to virtually put myself to sleep last night in order to please all of you, now you will not even return the favor by agreeing to please me?"

"You are our captain, Haldir," Lostilsil said. "Even if we disagree, we must still do as you ask, so our willingness is of little matter."

"I would rather have you go willing," Haldir replied.

Legolas interjected at this point. "What is this all about?"

Haldir answered, "Come! You will see. All of you, come!"

Joanalind planted her chubby fists on her ample hips. "Don' you run them boys into the ground now, Mr Captain Elf. I'm a make a fine supper, and you make sure you be back in time for it. An' don' come tracking in alls the dirt!"

Haldir gave her a wink and then was out the door, trailing a grumbling gaggle of elves behind him. He led them through a vegetable garden to a gate at the far end. From here, they crossed a narrow expanse of long, waving grass, coming to the edge of a wooded uphill slope; and here, they stopped. Haldir turned and faced them with a bright glint in his eye. His gaze fell upon Legolas.

"We are going to race, Legolas," he said. "Try to keep up with us." Then to the rest of them, "To the pool."

No sooner had he spoken the last word than the elves broke from their places and began racing up the hill through the forest. Legolas followed Dolenrod, who had gotten the latest start; but he soon discovered that Dolenrod was outdistancing him, overtaking first Enthamis, and then Ascalonn, at which point, Legolas followed Ascalonn, for Dolenrod was soon far ahead.

In front of Dolenrod, Mythis was close on the heels of Lostilsil. And beyond them, Haldir had a good lead of almost twenty yards. Legolas watched as Dolenrod overtook Mythis, then Lostilsil, and at length, came within arm's reach of Haldir. Dolenrod reached out an arm, snagged the cowl of Haldir's cloak and pulled.

Haldir dragged on a few more yards, then fell to the ground under Dolenrod's persistent hold. As Dolenrod tried to then run past him, Haldir shot out his hand and grabbled Dolenrod's ankle. In an instant, both elves were on the ground, each enmeshed in a battle to keep the other one down. As they struggled in boisterous laughter, Mythis passed them and took the lead, until Lostilsil, following Dolenrod's example, tripped him up and took the lead himself.

Such was the progress of the elves up the hill. There were feints, dodges, wild sprints, and intense, brief wrestling matches every ten or twenty yards. Legolas was the only one left unaccosted, and he was beginning to feel that he was missing out on something very important to the camaraderie of the patrol.

At length, as he stood watching Mythis, who was now engaged with Ascalonn, like two rams butting heads, he noticed, for the first time, the sound of running water. To his right, thirty or so yards into the wood, he saw the sparkle of sunlight on water. A stream ran down the hillside between alternately high and shallow banks, cascading heavily over boulders and low falls after the prolonged rain.

'To the pool.' Those had been Haldir's words.

Legolas followed the course of the stream uphill with his eyes. There was a broad, wooded plateau not too far up; and a wide plume of water poured through a fissure in the plateau's edge. 'A perfect place,' Legolas thought smugly, 'to find a pool.' He followed the stream up to the plateau and found that he had been correct. A deep pool lay before him, fed by a shallow waterfall, bordered with a grassy verge, dotted with boulders and large flat rocks. It was not a large pool, perhaps ten yards across and twenty yards wide; but the blackness of its water betrayed its depth.

"This must be it," Legolas said under his breath, nodding appreciatively. It was a beautiful spot. He stood at the edge of the pool and put his fingers in the water, drawing back quickly. The water was very cold, not surprising after all the rain. He then sat down on the grass and waited.

It was not long before Haldir burst over the top edge of the plateau with a proclamation of victory. He noticed Legolas just at the same moment that the Prince of Mirkwood spoke carelessly, "You can only claim second place, Nikerym."

Haldir dropped onto his knees, breathing heavily. "Your-win-is not recognized."

Legolas got up, walked over and hunkered down in front of him. "I tried to keep up with you, but that became impossible once I overtook you," he grinned, then noticing a scrape on Haldir's forehead, he said, "Your forehead is bleeding a little bit. They were pretty rough on you, weren't they?"

Haldir gingerly fingered his forehead. "It will heal soon enough."

The rest of the elves came up over the ridge, looking no better than Haldir. They were filthy. The ground had still been wet from the rainfall, and now the elves were streaked with mud, their hair dotted with leaves and twigs-they looked very . . . un-elflike. Their usual pallid complexions were now filled with high color. Legolas found their appearance at the moment to be intriguing, nothing short of exotic.

Seeing them, Haldir went on dramatically between breaths, "And yes, they were rough! They get more cut-throat every time. I am afraid I am creating a band of ruffians!"

"This, from the chief ruffian!" Lostilsil cried as he collapsed onto the grass, panting and heaving.

Legolas dabbed at Haldir's forehead with a corner of his cloak. "I think Lostilsil is right."

Haldir looked at him with an innocuous expression. "Are you already being swayed by these miscreants? I am far from being a ruffian."

Legolas felt a tremendous and sudden fondness grip his heart as he locked gazes with Haldir. "That is exactly true," he said softly. "You are no ruffian at all."

"Nikerym?"

Haldir looked up. It was Mythis who had spoken. His eyes swept from Haldir to the pool, then back to Haldir. Around him, the rest of the patrol was looking hopefully at their captain.

Haldir made a gesture of concession. "Yes, you may."

Within second, the elves had stripped off their garments and were in the chilling water, with only Haldir and Legolas remaining fully clothed on the bank.

Haldir watched them for a short time, then announced, "I am going up to the Bird's Eye. I will fetch you all on my way back down."

Legolas watched as he disappeared further up the hillside. He considered the pool, looked back up the hill, then followed Haldir. He caught up with him a hundred yards or so into the forest.

Haldir turned as he approached. "You'd rather go with me than take a swim?"

"It looked cold," Legolas replied. "And I wasn't quite as in need of a swim as the rest of them. Although you look like you could use a swim."

Haldir grinned. "I could, but there is something I wish to do first. Besides, Joanalind makes a splendid hot bath. She will have one prepared for me when we return."

"Did you wish to go on alone?" Legolas asked.

"No, your company is welcome."

They picked their way through the woods, moving ever higher. Legolas let several minutes go by before speaking what was on his mind.

"I wanted to ask you about the song you sang last night."

Haldir's silence invited him to go on.

"Are you aware of what happens when you sing that song?"

"Yes," came the simple reply.

Legolas had been hoping for more, but clearly, he was going to have to draw out any answers on this particular matter.

"Don't those events strike as rather . . . remarkable?" he queried.

"Yes."

"Have you an explanation for them?"

"I have," Haldir replied, and he stopped walking. He looked at Legolas with a serious, penetrating gaze. "Faith."

Faith?"

Haldir began walking again. "Faith. I do not know any other explanation for how such things can take place."

Legolas was puzzled. "Faith in what? The Valar?"

Haldir smiled. "In the Valar, yes. But even the Valar have their master."

Legolas began to understand. "Mythis told me you worship Aluvater."

"Mythis told you the truth."

"That is where your faith lies," Legolas concluded.

Haldir inclined his head in a gesture of acknowledgment.

Legolas considered for several seconds. "But that does not explain the effect the song has on your listeners. And not just the song last night-the song you sang at the fountain the first night I was here . . . it's as if a spell is being cast."

Haldir smiled. "I do not deal in spells. I would say, however, that in every elf, there is a part of the soul that, even though it has been asleep for thousands of years, recognizes the sound of praise being rendered to the only One who deserves it." A pause. "After all, you did not know what I was singing. You could not understand it. Yet, the songs moved you, as they move every elf that hears them."

Legolas pondered this explanation, but he was not convinced that this was the answer at all. Or it if were, it was not the answer he was seeking. He wanted something more concrete, less mysterious. But then perhaps he had been asking the wrong question.

"They moved me, yes," Legolas replied. "But I must admit that, upon hearing them, my thoughts were not of Aluvater or the Valar or anything so lofty."

"Oh?" Haldir said. He was not looking at Legolas, but Legolas could sense that his captain had grown suddenly uncomfortable.

"My thoughts were of you," Legolas went on. "That is the truth."

"I am sure you are mistaken," Haldir replied, although he did not sound so confident.

"Mistaken? No, I don't-"

"There have been others who have made the same error," Haldir replied, trying to sound indifferent, but he had no talent for duplicity. "Because they can not see Aluvater or the Valar-the ones who are truly responsible for any miracles in nature or emotion-they mistakenly look at me as the one who deserves their devotion."

"That is not the case with me," Legolas said. "I meant only that my attentions were focused strictly on you as you sang. You said you do not deal in spells, but that is how it seemed to me. My thoughts were completely taken up by you. I do not believe I could have broken loose, even if I had tried."

"You underrate your own self-mastery, Legolas," Haldir replied.

"I am not the only one," Legolas went on. "The rest of them-Lostilsil, Mythis, all of them-they have all spoken of the . . . the effect you have on them."

"I am supposed to have an effect on them. I am their captain." It was a weak reply, and they both knew it, but Haldir was determined that the conversation should end. "I shall say that there is a bond between me and the other members of the patrol," he said with greater strength. "I shall admit that it is not an accident but rather something I have worked for centuries to create. And that, if there are other sentiments besides loyalty and friendship that come into play, then I shall not attempt to define them. If that does not satisfy your curious mind, then I am afraid you are forever doomed to be frustrated."

Legolas could not suppress a chuckle at this pronouncement, but it was clear that Haldir would entertain no more probes into the matter; and so Legolas changed the subject.

"Then I shall accept frustration," he conceded. "But perhaps you will finish telling me about how you learned the Ancient Language. You began to tell me that night at the fountain. You said you learned it from your uncle."

This topic seemed to threaten Haldir less than the other, and he answered readily. "There was a tradition in certain families of the first age that the learning and preservation of Primordial Elvish would be entrusted to the first-born son. That first-born son would then be responsible for teaching it to the first-born sons of his brothers and sisters. My Uncle Hevereth was the first-born of my father's family. I am the first-born of my father, so my uncle taught me."

"But I have never heard it spoken before," Legolas replied. "It seems to me that there should be many elves speaking it."

"And there are, but not in Middle Earth," Haldir said. "In Valinor, you would find many, including my uncle. He left these lands half a century ago." Haldir's voice took on a melancholy tone. "I am the only one left in Lorien. I believe I may be the only one left in all of Middle Earth."

"But how is that possible?"

"The families have grown smaller," Haldir replied. "In some cases, there were no first-born sons to teach. Multiply the shrinking numbers by centuries, and we have the situation as it stands today."

Legolas grinned playfully. "Hadn't you ought to get busy then and find an elf-maiden with whom to settle down and bring forth your progeny?"

Haldir returned the grin. "Marriage is not in my future. I will that to my brothers. It is they who must get busy."

"You do not intend to marry?" Legolas asked.

"I have already made my commitment," Haldir replied.

"What are you committed to?"

Haldir hesitated before answering. "The patrol," he said at last, but his voice betrayed a holding back. There was more; but for whatever reason, Haldir was not willing to give it out. And Legolas decided not to push- for once.

Shortly, they came to a small grotto in the hillside. There was a shapeless mass of lichen-covered stone resting on a pedestal; both stone and pedestal had fallen backwards and were leaning against the wall.

"What is this?" Legolas asked.

"An old shrine. Men used to come here to offer prayers." He turned and looked out through the trees at the land below. "They call it the Bird's Eye now, because it affords such an excellent view of the countryside." He cast a glance at Legolas. "You'll excuse me for a bit now. I require some privacy."

"Oh-yes, of course," Legolas replied, slightly surprised. "I'll just look around." He walked up the rise on the side of the grotto and stopped on top to survey his surroundings. And then, from below he heard the sound of Haldir's voice, chanting softly.

Legolas sat down on a rocky outcropping and listened. It was his own private performance, and he was more than ready to savor it. He was beginning to think that he could never hear enough of this voice.

And for the first time, that idea did not frighten him.