The Face of the Sun by Nildrohain

The gathering of information in Potterspot was an enjoyable experience after the horrors of Wayfare. The village green was a popular gathering spot for the women in the morning, coming to draw water and trade their wares. And in the evenings, the men came to draw ale and trade stories.

Haldir and his elves were present for both the morning and the evening gatherings. In addition to hearing many rumors and gossip, they came across some useful bits of information. They were treated with great kindness and respect; and partaking in the evening ale swill did great things for their popularity, which was already considerable.

It was on the second evening of the elves' arrival in Potterspot that the rest of the patrol arrived, each group arriving within an hour's span. They met on the green amidst the evening's pleasures, and Legolas was happy to see them. If there was anything to be said for strength in numbers, it was that Legolas could not help but wish that the likes of Ardamil and Henschel and Orophin had been present in Wayfare. Their presence would have been deterrent enough to prevent any kind of confrontation.

Legolas watched as Haldir greeted his brothers in the usual manner, cheek pressed to cheek. His eyes then followed Haldir as the latter went through and welcomed all the members of the patrol with a warm clasp on the shoulder. Haldir came last to Ardamil, and to Legolas's surprise, extended the same manner of greeting to Ardamil as he had to his brothers. And there was no mistaking the look of peacefulness in Ardamil's countenance, as the two elves lingered in contact a little longer than would have seemed customary.

As Ardamil drew back, his gaze moved up to Haldir's forehead. "You're injured," he said.

"It will be healed in a day or two," Haldir replied carelessly.

"How did it happen?"

"We had a little contest," Haldir told him.

Ardamil regarded him dubiously. "I see. Did you win?"

Haldir gave a one-sided shrug. "Naturally. Or rather, I should say that among competitors, I won." His gaze shifted towards Legolas. "Of course, there was one non-competitor who managed to slip in ahead of me."

Legolas adopted an innocent expression.

"He bears watching-this one," Haldir went on, with a smile of affected suspicion.

Ardamil narrowed his eyes. "I think you're right."

Haldir approached Legolas and put his hand on his shoulder. "So, I will have to keep both eyes on you."

Legolas merely smiled. Over Haldir's shoulder, he saw Ardamil watching him. A peculiar expression was on the subaltern's face. It was not quite sadness, but more like a deflation of joy. Legolas caught only a glimpse of it before it was replaced by pleasant serenity as Haldir turned back to Ardamil once more.

"Come along, then!" Haldir said vigorously, putting an arm around each elf's shoulders. "We'll fetch an ale, and then we can all trade tales of our adventures."

The evening faded into night and the green came to even more vibrant life as the women and children joined the men. An ensemble took up place on a raised platform in the center of the green and began to play a set of jigs.

The elves joined in the entertainment, dancing with the village maidens, joining in the ensemble, and even singing several odes from both human and elvish repertoires.

Haldir stood with Joanalind, her husband Arnturo, and a handful of other outlying farmers' families. They told him of good harvests; the difficulties of bartering with the villagers of Dell, another village several miles to the north; and the sudden abundance of good horses for trade in Millstock. Haldir listened with polite interest, for the topics did, in truth, appeal to him; yet his attention frequently was directed towards the center of the green, where the dancers twirled and spun and laughed. A good number of his elves, many of them still grimed and wearing the signs of their travels, were among those taking part in the dancing. And Legolas was of particular notice. Haldir decided it was the Mirkwood blood that made Legolas so well able to spin and bounce and leap and jump with such reckless abandon that he might be mistaken for a human, what with his total disregard for grace, preferring energy over finesse.

"Your new lad, ee's a good type, aren't ee?" The sound of Joanalind's voice drew Haldir's attention.

"Legolas, you mean?" he asked.

"Ai, Legolas. Look at all 'em lasses," Joanalind replied. "They near swoonin'. Why, even pretty Mythis warn't so well received. You have some competition."

Haldir chuckled. "He is a good addition to the patrol, if perhaps a bit headstrong."

"Ah, then 'ee larnt it from you."

"There, you are mistaken. He was already well-instructed in obstinancy before he ever set eyes on me," Haldir corrected. "He is eager-to-please."

"An' does 'ee desire to please you?" Joanalind asked.

Haldir did not reply right away. He knew the answer to that question, and he knew he must proceed with caution. At last, he replied, "He does, very much."

"Then it should all be good," Joanalind said, sounding satisfied.

Haldir's gaze returned to the field of dancers, where the realm of Mirkwood, all exuberant gaiety, now held centerstage. "That is my fervent hope," he replied quietly, and although he spoke with confidence, he was not so sure himself, the direction things would take. And this was what Haldir most feared and despised: uncertainty.




"You have not danced once all night!"

Haldir regarded Orophin with a placid expression. The latter had hardly stopped dancing all night, and now he was taking a pause, but only long enough to accuse his brother of dullness.

"You are more than making up for my absence," Haldir replied.

"Capricious elf!" Orophin said, shaking his head. "You love to dance, so why are you standing here, so aloof?"

Haldir gave him an arch look. "They have played an unending succession of jigs and reels. When they come to something with a bit more elegance and reserve, then I shall be glad to dance."

"Rubbish!" Orophin rejected. "I've seen you jigging and reeling with the best of them, brother. You are just being difficult. Very well. I shall go and request something dull and insipid, and then I shall expect to see you dance." He did not wait for a reply before heading for the musicians.

The very next song was called 'The Mountain Kings', and Haldir could not deny that it met his requirements for "elegance and reserve". Orophin had done an excellent job of identifying a song that Haldir could not refuse. But instead of asking any of the maidens who had been clamoring after him for a dance all the night, he asked Joanalind to do him the honor of standing up with him. It was a very formal dance, very structured, and as Haldir led Joanalind out to take their places, he was very aware that many eyes were upon them.

One set of eyes, in particular, followed the pair's every move with heightened interest. Legolas was well aware that this was his captain's first excursion into the night's dancing, and he decided to sit this one out so as to procure better viewing.

The music began, slow and majestic. Legolas remarked to himself that the song seemed to be tailor-made for Haldir, whose movements were characterized by a fluidity and grace that would have marked him as being of royal blood, had Legolas not already known otherwise. The Captain of the Wide Patrol carried himself with high chin and elegant posture, easily comparable to the exhibitions of those of high blood.

Legolas suddenly became aware that he wanted very much to see Haldir engaged in the more vibrant dances. He wanted to see the letting down of the guard, to hear his laughter, and see that powerful, perfectly self-controlled body let loose to the lilting tune of a country jig. The beauty and serenity that flowed now before his eyes was enchanting, but he did not want enchantment. He wanted to see that slightly wild edge again. In fact, he was longing for it.

"He is graceful like a swan." The sound of Ardamil's voice startled Legolas, and he turned to regard the subaltern, who was standing beside him in a relaxed manner.

"Yes, yes, he is," Legolas replied evenly.

"I thought he would go the whole night without dancing," Ardamil went on, "which would be unusual for him. He so enjoys the pastime."

"Does he?"

"Indeed."

"The lively ones as well as the formal ones?"

"All kinds," Ardamil replied. After a brief pause, he changed the subject. "Dolenrod told me there was some excitement in Wayfare."

"Excitement is a good word for it," Legolas replied. "I think I caused quite a bit of trouble."

"It is a good thing no one was hurt," Ardamil said, but his voice was not accusative.

"Several of the men were hurt," Legolas replied. "Not to mention, my pride."

Ardamil grinned. "Was Haldir hard on you?"

Legolas returned the smile. "He made his point."

A knowing expression gleamed in Ardamil's eyes. "He has ways of making sure his point is felt. And where you are concerned, I fear he has more than enough reasons for fretting over your safety."

Legolas's smile wilted. "And your meaning?"

"He can hardly afford to let anything happen to you," Ardamil replied. "That would do no good for relations between Lorien and Mirkwood. And it would land Haldir in all sorts of trouble. Thranduil trusts our Lord, and our Lord trusts Haldir."

"Does the entire patrol know now who my father is?"

"Was it supposed to be a secret?"

Legolas frowned. "A secret, no. But I did not want anyone treating me like a prince."

"Has anyone been treating you like a prince?" Ardamil asked.

Legolas considered. "To be truthful, no. They are treating me . . . like one of them. Haldir said once that in the back of his mind, he is always aware that I am a prince. But he has not spared me his reprimand or correction." He drew in a pensive breath. "He has been very good to me."

"And he will continue to be so," Ardamil said assuredly.

Legolas could not help but like Ardamil, for here was an elf who was as open and guileless as Legolas himself. And so, he felt comfortable speaking his thoughts. "He is unique," he said slowly. "I am never sure what to expect from him."

"You can always expect the truth," Ardamil replied, "even when it is painful."

"Is that meant to comfort me?" Legolas asked with a smile.

"It is," Ardamil said. "And you can believe me when I tell you that as the weeks go by, you will come to realize just how much a comfort it really is to know that, no matter what else may befall you, there is always one who is willing to speak the truth to you, and that he will always speak the truth in love."

At that moment, in a turn in the dance, Haldir's gaze fell upon the two elves. A very pleased look crossed his face, before the next step redirected his gaze.

"I can very easily believe that," Legolas said. "He is like no other elf that I have ever met. I would rather endure his anger than learn under anyone else."

"You are beginning to understand," Ardamil said softly.




That understanding grew over the ensuing weeks. Three more times, the patrol split into groups, and each time Legolas was in Haldir's squad. The more time he spent with him, the more Legolas was convinced that Haldir was something exceptionally rare and exquisite. He was also perplexing and, at times, downright infuriating. Haldir had a standard, and it was not simply a standard of performance. It was a standard of behavior. There were certain things he expected and other things that he would tolerate under no circumstances. Integrity was expected; dishonesty was not tolerated. Loyalty was expected; disobedience was not tolerated. Fraternity was expected; bickering was not tolerated. Team work was expected; laziness was not tolerated. And above it all rode an unwavering fairness-Haldir was impeccably just. He corrected, scolded, and reprimanded when needed. But grudges were unknown to him, and more often than not, he could be seen praising his warriors and working to improve their skills. He had forged a team-but it was more than a team. It was a family.

And for Legolas, it was a welcoming family. The Lorien elves treated him to a fair amount of good-natured ribbing about his princely background; yet they held him to the same standard to which they held themselves. There was no lack of challenges, and the members of the patrol were quick to issue and accept challenges, from who could tell the best story to who ran the fastest to who was best wrestler. Indeed, it seemed an unplanned wrestling match materialized almost every other day, and Haldir was involved in at least half of them. Legolas noted with interest that his captain did not win every match; yet, those matches that Haldir lost struck Legolas as fraudulent, except that he knew that Haldir detested duplicity. The losses seemed indicative of something much different than defeat. If Legolas had to make a judgment, he would have believed that Haldir was letting his warriors beat him in order to prove a point, although the point itself was a mystery.

Not that Legolas was left much time to ponder mysteries. The Prince of Mirkwood had raced, sang, told stories, demonstrated his archery prowess, climbed trees, walked single strand river ropes, canoed, and, to his great amusement, tended to the keeping of several heads of hair-all activities which involved a degree of competition within the patrol, as nearly every activity was subjected to some manner of rivalry. Yet, the one thing he had not been singled out for was wrestling. There had been times when he had been sure of an engagement, only to be disappointed by the other party's reluctance. He could not imagine why his would-be opponents pulled back at the last moments, other than the fact that they must be under orders of the 'don't injure the prince' type. He even went out of his way to provoke one or another of them from time to time to see if they would take him on; but as much as they apparently enjoyed responding to him with teasing and return provocation, they never drew him into a match. And the fact that Haldir had, by the end of the patrol, indulged in at least one engagement with three-quarters of his warriors only added to Legolas's sense of frustration. Haldir was keen to teach him many things: the ancient language, tracking skills, riding tricks, how to fashion a make-shift bow out of the branch of a sapling, and how to inquire of the various woodland creatures. Truthfully, Legolas could not complain about Haldir showing him a lack of attention. Yet, the one attention he sought was also the one attention he had not received; and as the weeks went by, it occurred to Legolas why the matter weighed so heavily upon his mind: the wrestling was a sign of inclusion, an affirmation of the bond between warriors; and despite all the other kindnesses shown to him, this was the one thing he wanted above all else.

And as the patrol neared the end of its six weeks beyond the borders, Legolas frustration took on the form of youthful petulance. He did everything he could to lure Haldir into a match, but Haldir met the challenge with steadfast equanimity and a subtle sense of humor at the whole matter, for it was clear to the guardian what his guest was attempting.

The patrol returned, at last, to the northern borders of Lorien on a day of clear and sweltering sunshine. By the time the patrol reached the Nimrodel in the peak of the afternoon, they were all hot, weary, and ready for a respite. Haldir called a halt on the river's bank.

Legolas sat down on a moss-covered mound of rock, slipped off his pack, and allowed himself to savor the feeling of not having his muscles engaged. Around him, the rest of the patrol were already casting off their weapons, packs, and uniforms. But Legolas's eyes were focused near the water's edge, where Haldir moved languidly as he stripped down to the bare flesh. Again, as before, Legolas admired his captain's fine build, all strength and supple agility. He watched as Haldir strode up behind Ardamil, who was testing the water with his foot, and promptly pushed him in.

"None of that dainty stuff!" Haldir laughed heartily. He turned and surveyed the rest of the patrol. Most of them were in various stages of undress, but Haldir's attention was immediately drawn to the fully dressed Prince of Mirkwood, still sitting smugly on his perch.

"Do Mirkwood elves melt in the water?" Haldir asked with a mirthful gleam in his eye.

Legolas displayed a well-executed, contrived simper. "You certainly won't have an answer to that today."

"Do you believe that?" Haldir crossed his arms over his chest.

The simper curved into a grin. "I have no intention of going into the water."

"I have every intention of putting you there," Haldir replied. "Did you honestly believe that you would make it through the entire patrol without even one contest."

The rest of the patrol looked on in amusement. They knew their captain very well. They had witnessed his efforts to make Legolas feel welcomed, to integrate him into the patrol. They had observed his quiet assessment of Legolas's abilities and skills. And they saw his readiness to take whatever measures were necessary to ensure Legolas's safety. But now they saw something new in the way Haldir was addressing Legolas. It was something they had all experienced themselves-the move from trial to acceptance, from acquaintance to family. And coming from an elf such as Haldir, it was one of the most satisfying feelings any of them had ever known. Seeing it occur with other elves, new members of the patrol, only brought back the initial elation that each had felt at his own crossing of that threshold.

"I am outnumbered. This is hardly fair," Legolas said coolly, although his heart pounded with joy at the unexpected imminent fulfillment of the very thing he had most desired.

Haldir feigned perplexity. "I am one. You are one. What is unfair about that?"

Legolas was now truly in a good humor. "You will attempt to take me by yourself?"

Haldir took several steps closer. "I will take you." He looked perfectly at ease. "But I would advise you to remove your weapons. I would not see them ruined."

Legolas looked about him as he began to disarm. The rest of the patrol was watching with interest, expectant grins spread across their faces. A short burst of laughter broke from Legolas's lips. "I feel like a lamb among wolves! Is there no one who will come to my defense?"

"I would suggest you agree to go in the water," Rumil replied. "Haldir is never outdone."

Legolas looked back at Haldir, who was very close now. "Yes, I have heard that many times."

Haldir's expression was the mastery of arrogance. "There's always a first time. You may take your chances."

"I recall hearing you say that to Pelvil, and you defeated him," Legolas said mindfully.

"Yes, but even so, Pelvil took his chance. You might surprise me," Haldir replied.

"As you are now, you're at a distinct disadvantage," Legolas stated, gesturing to indicate Haldir's nudity. "You're rather vulnerable."

"You, more so," Haldir replied cryptically, then with a smugness that even Legolas could not duplicate, he asked, "Do you want to get your clothes wet?"

Legolas hardly knew what to say. It was clear that Haldir intended to take him into the water in one way or another. He could go of his own accord, but after such posturing, it would seem dull. He wanted very much to test himself against his captain, although he was quite certain that he was no match for Haldir. That hardly mattered in any event, for Legolas wanted this contest. He wanted it very much.

But in the next moment, his predicament resolved itself most unexpectedly.

Ardamil had climbed out of the water and now led the patrol rushing suddenly forward. At first, Legolas feared that they were coming for him, but his fear turned instantly to hilarity as Haldir was engulfed and dragged, roaring with laughter and protest, toward the water and cast into the river.

He bobbed to the surface, his voice erupting in pleasure. "This-this is how you treat your beloved captain?!?"

"It's precisely because we love you, Haldir," Ardamil replied before diving in himself.

Legolas came to the bank and to the handsome march warden, glowing with the effulgence of unfettered joy. He said simply, "I feel like a swim now."

It was not Haldir who answered. Rather, it was Rumil's voice, close at hand. "I should say you do."

Before Legolas could even think, he found himself plummeting into the water. He came up laughing and moved towards the shore. "You are all treacherous!! Every one of you!" he cried between laughter. He pulled himself out of the water. "My clothes! Look at me!"

"Take them off and set them in the sun," Orophin said. "They will be dry by the time we are ready to move on."

Legolas peeled off the clinging uniform and set it in a splash of sunlight. He returned to the water's edge, searched for Haldir among the elves in the water and spotted him in the middle of the river, treading water and laughing at something Henschel was saying.

Legolas dove into the water like a seabird, glided beneath the surface out to the middle of the river, and grabbed hold of Haldir's ankle, pulling him briefly under the water. They came to the surface together to the sound of Henschel's laughter.

Legolas shook the water out of his eyes. "So, you were going to throw me into the water?!" he grinned.

"And I was looking forward to it," Haldir replied. "You have Ardamil to thank for saving you . . . that is, until Rumil took things into his own hands."

"I didn't want to be saved," Legolas said, his voice mildly suggestive.

Haldir cocked an eyebrow at him. "Really? You were certainly acting like it."

"Far from it," Legolas replied with an impish grin before diving back under the water and swimming to join Lostilsil and Dolenrod on the far side of the river, leaving Haldir to look after him with a rising sense of humor, so obvious was Legolas's intent. Haldir was finding it rather good fun observing Legolas's attempts to draw him into a confrontation; but at present, there was another elf who had earned a certain come-uppance; and Haldir already had his eye on him.

After nearly an hour of playing and relaxing at the river, Haldir ordered the patrol out of the water; but while the rest of them began dressing, Haldir went up to Ardamil.

"I think you've earned a reprimand," he said with a recognizable gleam in his eye.

"I beg to differ, Nikerym. You pushed me into the water first," Ardamil protested.

"That's a quibble," Haldir replied, and in the next instant, he had Ardamil in a headlock. But Ardamil was not a young, inexperienced elf. Strength-wise, he was an even match for Haldir, and stepping back, he flipped him over his shoulder and fell upon him. From there, it became truly a test of strength over skill.

The patrol gathered round, cheering and hooting. They were enjoying this match more than any other they had witnessed during the entire six weeks, and Legolas could see why right away: Haldir and Ardamil were evenly matched. There would be no 'throwing' this match. But there was something much more than an equality of ability that added allure to this competition: the way the two elves clung to and enfolded each other gave their sport the appearance of a lovers' enounter. And when Ardamil pinned Haldir beneath him, it was not a false victory. It was genuine and it was earned.

And to Legolas, it was one of the most tantalizing scenes he had ever witnessed. The sight of Haldir's beautiful body, fully naked, subdued beneath Ardamil's weight made Legolas's breath catch in his throat. The two elves were panting from exertion, their faces only inches apart. Legolas saw the look in Haldir's eyes, and a surge of envy-even jealousy-shot through Legolas's body, especially as the look was reflected back in Ardamil's countenance.

"Do I win?" Ardamil asked.

"You win," Haldir replied.

Ardamil did not get up right away, and Legolas could not blame him. How could he blame him for savoring that moment of ownership, that moment when he could claim Haldir as his own, the prize he had won? When Ardamil did finally get up, Legolas felt the pain of the separation of the two bodies as if it were happening to himself.

Ardamil pulled Haldir to his feet. "I think I need another swim now."

Haldir agreed. He turned to Orophin. "Lead the patrol back to Caras Galadhon. We will follow shortly."

Orophin nodded. "Yes, Nikerym."

Haldir followed Ardamil into the water as the rest of the patrol formed up and moved off into the forest. Legolas followed at the rear, his thoughts completely filled with images of the bodies of his captain and subaltern wound about each other; but even more insistent was the recollection of the expression in Haldir's eyes. Legolas felt he would have done anything to have that expression turned his way.

"Legolas."

The sound of Rumil's voice startled him. He blushed slightly with the peculiar thought that Rumil could read his mind.

"Where are your weapons?"

Legolas halted, dumbfounded. Immediately, he knew where he had left them, but retrieving them would entail a return to the river, and he was torn about this. A certain part of him was aching to play the voyeur, but another part of him was not certain he had the heart to bear what he might observe. And it did not escape him that it was perfectly possible that the same part of him that wanted to see Haldir and Ardamil together might have had some hand in the forgetting of his weapons.

"I left them back at the river," he replied.

"You had better go get them," Rumil replied. "And you had better be stealthy about it. Haldir will skin you alive if he finds you left your weapons. I hope he has not found them already."

Legolas backtracked through the woods, slowing his pace as he drew near the river in order to practice Rumil's recommendation of stealth. The sound of voices directed his attention to the moss-covered rock where he had sat earlier and where now Haldir had bent down and was retrieving something from the ground. He straightened up, Legolas's bow and quiver in his hands.

"I believe these belong to the Prince of Mirkwood," he announced.

Ardamil grinned. "I believe they do."

"I will have to punish him severely for leaving his weapons," Haldir said, and despite the threat, his voice was cheerful.

"Somehow I do not think he would mind that," Ardamil replied.

Haldir laughed. "He does everything but ask for it, that is true. But you stole it from him earlier. Why did you inveigle them into dragging me into the river? I was looking forward to matching with Legolas."

Ardamil took the weapons from Haldir's hands and set them on the ground. He placed his hands on Haldir's shoulders and guided him to sit on the rock, then he moved around behind him and began to knead his shoulders. "Because I wanted to match with you," he replied honestly.

Haldir sat still and let Ardamil massage his muscles. "I see. If it makes you happy, I will tell you that you wrestled well," he said casually. He could not see the grin that crossed Ardamil's face.

"I should hope so. I had been preparing for that since the beginning of the patrol," came the somewhat cocky reply.

"Oh?" Haldir prompted.

"It had been many years since we last wrestled," Ardamil said, and the tone of his voice had softened. "I missed being close to you."

Now it was Haldir's turn to smile. "I missed it, too. But you know you can be close to me any time, Ardamil. You do not have to wrestle me for it."

"Ah, but I enjoy wrestling with you," Ardamil replied.

"Yes, so I observed."

"Then my victory was an honest one?"

Haldir nodded. "An honest one. You earned it." He paused. "I wonder that you did not renew your seal on me."

Ardamil continued working the tight muscles beneath his fingers. "I intend to. I only . . . I wanted to wait until we were alone."

Haldir reached up with one hand and took hold of Ardamil's wrist. "Come here, where I can see you." Ardamil came around and stood in front of him. Haldir looked up at him. "We're alone. Will you renew your seal?"

Ardamil's expression was one of sincerity. "It has been almost a millenium since I first bestowed my seal on you. Since then, there have been countless hundreds of renewals, and yet my original seal was never broken. But I-would I be out of place to remind my captain that it has been many decades since he last renewed his seal on me?"

Haldir looked momentarily stunned then pained. He got to his feet. "Ardamil . . . my dear, good Ardamil . . . forgive me."

"I have not held it against you," Ardamil replied.

"Then I hold it against myself," Haldir replied, reaching up and clasping Ardamil's shoulder. "I promise you that my seal is still whole and unbroken, but I will gladly renew it." He leaned forward and pressed a kiss to the corner of Ardamil's mouth. "Where would I be without you?" he said softly.

"In the same place you are now, bestowing your allegiance on some other more deserving elf," Ardamil replied.

"There is none more deserving," Haldir countered.

Ardamil kissed his forehead, permitting his lips to linger on the porcelain skin. When he spoke at last, his voice was protective. "Be careful, Haldir."

"You worry very much," Haldir said gently, easing back and indulging himself with a careful examination of Ardamil's classically handsome face, made all the more exquisite by the look of loving concern thereon.

"There is reason to worry," Ardamil replied. "You are too good, too trusting."

"Ardamil-"

"No, hear me," Ardamil insisted. "You can sense the danger of an orc attack before it happens; you can read the weather from the conversation of trees; you can even charm a fish into believing it has wings. But after all these centuries, you are still vulnerable; and you know what I mean. Not every story can end as happily as ours. Not every elf is able to remain in the patrol, and you know why."

Haldir waited patiently until he had finished, then he spoke with the ease of confidence. "Am I then to treat every elf as if he presents a threat?"

"Of course not," Ardamil replied. "But I might recommend caution to my captain."

"Are you jealous of Legolas?"

Ardamil shook his head slowly. "No, Nikerym, I am not jealous. I am quite fond of him, in fact. And it is clear that the entire patrol is taken with him-yourself included." He placed an almost paternal hand on Haldir's cheek. "I only advise caution, Haldir. Already, I can see that Legolas is one whom you would not wish to lose. If you are not careful with him, that is precisely what will happen. I have never been wrong about such things."

Haldir smiled. "And again, I ask, where would I be without you?"

Ardamil enfolded him in warm embrace. "You will never have to worry about that. I will always be here."