Impossible Circumstances by Syndarys

Later that day, having resumed their travel, the company arrived at Nimrodel. Legolas was in a particularly good mood, having been reassured before hand that they would get some food when they got to Lothlórien. This resulted in Legolas speeding up quite drastically, and having to be called to a halt a dozen times during the day's walk.

Legolas looked at the stream and felt light hearted and happy. The smallest of things was effecting his mood now; a remark taken out of turn would result in tears, or a violent responce, and slight smells would result in him pining for food. Even he was getting irritated by his behavior. Once the company had cross the stream, Legolas turned back to it.

"Ah, I feel like singing one of the songs of the maiden Nimrodel, an Elven woman who lived beside the stream long ago," Legolas opened his mouth to sing, but suddenly the urge to throw up over whelmed him. His eyes widened, and he clapped one hand to his mouth, gesturing wildly for everyone to get out of his way with the other. He moved quickly to the side of the stream, and promptly threw up in it. Everyone else grimaced and turned away.

"Uurrgghhh," Legolas groaned as he stopped throwing up, and rinsed his face with some of the clean water.

He stood up, and motioned for everyone to continue. And they did, with the grimaces still fixed on their faced.

After a short while, they came across Haldir and his brothers, and climbed up some trees to spend the night there.

"Whats wrong with you?" Haldir asked Legolas, "You look like death warmed up!"

"You'll laugh if I tell you," Legolas said.

"No I wont! I promise." Haldir replied.

"Okay - I'm pregnant." answered Legolas

The sounds of Haldir's laughter filled the woods, causing Legolas to hold his head in his hands.

"See, I did say 'You'll laugh if I tell you,' but did you listen? Nooo..." Legolas was in full on moaning and complaining mood now, "My god its uncomfortable in this tree - dont you have any cusions?" he asked.

Haldir raised an eyebrow at him, "You're telling the truth," he stated a-matter-of-factly as he stared at Legolas.

"Of course I am! Why would I lie about being pregnant?!" Legolas hissed at him.

Haldir flinched, "Sorry, didnt mean anything by it," he quickly appologised, "it's just that, y'know, guys dont usually end up pregnant."

"Yes, I know that," Legolas rolled his eyes, "I'm hoping that Galadriel will be able to help me."

Haldir nodded, "Well, best get some rest for tonight; we'll head out tomorrow to take you all to see the Lady Galadriel."

Then, everyone went to sleep... well, all except Aragorn that was. He was wide awake, and biting his nails. Galadriel was going to seriously kill him; even more so than Arwen was. He was going to have the entire Elven population of Middle Earth after his blood. He was in no mood to sleep thanks to those prospects.




The Follwing Morning

Legolas yawned, and stretched out in a very cat-like way. He sat up, and rubbed his eyes slightly. He was in a very good mood for a change; he didnt feel sick as he usually did in the morning, infact, he felt absolutely fantastic. He smiled brightly and climbed down the tree, to find the Hobbits sitting there cooking some food.

Legolas frowned at them, "You know, you could burn yourself while cooking; why not let me do it?" he volunteered.

The hobbits turned at stared at him.

Legolas made his way over, and ushered the four Hobbits away from the fire. "It's very dangerous having open fires like this, boys," he sat them down in a row 2 foot away from the fire. He then turned back, and started to cook the bacon, eggs and bread that the Hobbits had obviously kept hidden from him while in Moria.

When he was done, he dished the food out to each of the Hobbits, making sure they had fair shares each. "Careful now, it's hot!" he warned them.

"Uhm, Legolas?" Frodo asked, as he glanced up from his food.

"Yes Frodo?" Legolas said with a smile.

"You know I'm 51 dont you? I'm not a child..." he said slowly, eyeing Legolas to make sure his words werent causing offence. "You dont need to look after us all like this.. we can.." Frodo stopped as Legolas's face turned upside down and tears began to form in his eyes. "It's not that we dont appreciate it, really!" he said, trying amend the damage before it was too late. Unfortunately, it was too late.

"You dont care about me!" Legolas said, beginning to sob again, "I'm only trying to help, trying to make sure you're all safe, but no..." he paused and blew his nose, "You just reject me!" he started to cry again.

All the Hobbits looked at eachother. Then Frodo made the mistake of putting his arm on Legolas's shoulder in a comforting move. Before he knew it, the poor Hobbit was being crushed to death in one of Legolas's extremely powerful hugs. He was also being covered in tears and having his shirt used as a tissue.

"He-lp," Frodo managed to breath out to his friends, "Ca-nt br-ea-the". The other Hobbits looked at him with sad faces, and shrugged. Sam mouthed 'sorry' to him.

Luckily, at that moment, Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, Haldir and his brothers appeared from their trees, and pried Frodo from Legolas's tight grasp. Frodo thanked them profusely, and decided to make sure he kept a good distance from Legolas for the rest of the day.