Impossible Circumstances by Syndarys

"OH-MY-GOD!"

As the other members of the fellowship slinked away, Celeborn's face filled with puzzlement.

"What is it?" Celeborn asked his wife cluelessly.

"He's-he's-he's..." Galadriel seemed to have momenterily lost the ability to form sentences, so she paused and took a deep breath. "He's pregnant."

Celeborn stared at her with a 'you're on pipe weed' look on his face, but once he looked at Legolas again, he realised it was true.

"But... how?" Celeborn asked in a shocked and amazed tone.

"Well, I was kind of hoping you'd tell me that part..." Legolas said, looking up at them hopefully through his eyelashes.

"I'm sorry Legolas," said Galadriel. The hope drained from Legolas's eyes, "But I'm as puzzled as you are as to how or why this has came to be, but I shall endevour to find out for you."

Aragorn let out a sigh of relief; Galadriel didnt seem to know, nor care about who the father of the child was.

"By the way Legolas, are you aware of who the father is?" Galadriel asked as she turned to lead him out to find some research material. Aragorn, who was about to follow, quickly stopped and turned around to walk away in the opposite direction while muttering curses under his breath.

"Well Galadriel, it is not of that much importance really - lets just focus on finding out how this is possible first before discussing the matter of who the father is," Legolas said trying to sound casual, but failing miserably and sounding quite nervous indeed. He really didnt need Galadriel finding out that Aragorn was the father - his father being severely angry he could deal with, even Elrond on his case he could handle - but an all powerful female Sorceress, who possesses one of the three Elven rings? No... that he could NOT deal with, nor did he have any desire to try to.

Galadriel eyed him suspiciously, but decided not to push him into answering. Being given one of the three Elven rings she could handle, learning that her daughter Celebrían was going to marry Elrond, she could deal with - but an annoyed pregnant male Elf? No, even a Sorceress has her limits.

"Okay, follow me," Galadriel said as she lead them out of the chamber, and up some stairs. She then lead them along a corridor. And then up some more stairs. And then down some stairs. And then around a corner. And then through a hidden passageway. And then down some more stairs. Needless to say, when they finally got to where they were going, they had no idea where they were, nor how to get back.

And where they were going was to the Library Of Lórien; one of the biggest libraries in Middle Earth, second only to the Library of Gondor infact. But, as none of you have been there, and so dont know how big that library is... lets just say it's pretty damn big.

When they entered the library, they were immediately approached by one of the librarians.

"Mae govennan!" the librarian greeted them, but upon noticing Aragorn, she reverted to the common tongue. She couldnt be blamed really - he was human, and she didnt know that he'd actually been raised by Elves, and therefore spoke Elvish fluently.

"Hello, my name is Alquawen, are you looking for anything specific in the library?" she asked in a sweet and bubbly voice.

Legolas and Aragorn were too busy staring up and around the large space that was the Library to notice Alquawen speaking. Galadriel nodded to her, "Books on Elvish biology and reproduction; we have a somewhat unusual problem that needs explaining."

Alquawen nodded with a slightly puzzled look, and lead the group of three (well, four really, if you include the baby) to the biology section of the Library. After a quick glance around the shelves, she found what she was looking for.

"A-ha!" she pulled a book from the shelf. It was a very big book; Alquawen needed to use both hands to lift it, and that was with her Elven strength. On the front of the tan leather bound book were the words "Advanced Elven Biology - Reproduction" written in Quenya (it's a very old book) in a fancy golden script.

"Ooohh, thats a pretty cover!" Legolas commented as he took a seat at one of the research tables. He sat still for less than 5 seconds. He was almost immediately fidgeting, and glancing around uncomfortably with a frown on his face. Aragorn gave him a funny look.

"What is it?" the man asked as he took a seat next to Legolas.

Legolas looked around once more before leaning over to Aragorn and quietly asking, "Do you know where the toilet is in this place?" Fortunately, he didnt ask it quiet enough in order for Aragorn to be the only person to hear it - Alquawen over heard him.

"Oh, the toilet is this way, follow me," the young Elf took Legolas by the hand, and gently pulled him to his feet. She then lead him off in the direction of the toilets, leaving Aragorn alone with Galadriel.

Galadriel scanned the shelves once more and pulled out a large book labelled "Unusual and Rare Medical and Health Problems." She then took a seat opposite Aragorn at the table. She handed him a book to read through.

Aragorn was half way down the second page when Legolas returned with a bounce in his step, and sat down next to Aragorn - though not before giving the human's shoulders a quick squeeze.

Aragorn raised an eyebrow at the bouncy Elf, "You seem... cheerful," he said in an amused tone.

Legolas just smiled and picked a book off the pile infront of him. He quickly scanned through the first few pages, barely reading a word, before lightly snapping the book closed and throwing it gently back onto the table. He then leaned back in his chair, and swung his legs around, and over the arm rest so he was facing Aragorn. He then moved his right hand onto his stomach and gently felt the slight bump.

Now, I feel there is a little explanation in order about Elven physiology. Elven pregnancies are MUCH shorter than Human ones; they're 2/3 the length. This means that Elven pregnancies last 6 months. Now Legolas got knocked up in November - it's now Febuary. So, although Legolas is actually 3 months pregnant, it's more like 4 and a half months pregnant in human terms.

Legolas frowned, "I'm going to need to go shopping," he stated.

"Why?" Aragorn asked, glancing up from his book having heard that word dreaded by males in this world and the next: "shopping"

Legolas rolled his eyes and pointed at his stomach, "Why do you think?"

"Ooohh, right," Aragorns eyes lit up with realisation. He also decided that not offering help and money would result in grevious bodily harm. "Do you need any money to buy the stuff with? And do you want me to help you carry what you buy?"

Galadriel raised an eyebrow, but kept quiet.

Legolas scoffed at Aragorns remark, "I am a Prince, Aragorn! I have plenty of money with which to buy clothes for myself, and clothes for the baby, but I do accept your offer of help." The Elven Prince smiled at Aragorn.

Aragorn smiled in return, and turned his gaze back to the book.

'Maybe Aragorn wont make so much of a bad father after all?' Legolas thought to himself. As soon as he'd done it, he knew he'd made a mistake. Legolas's fear filled eyes turned to Galadriel as his mouth opened as if to say something, though no sound was made. He was in deep trouble, though Aragorn was in much more - He'd thought about who the father was in the presence of Galadriel.

Galadriel's eyes widened in realisation, and her mouth dropped open in shock. Her eyes turned from Legolas's and met with a puzzled Aragorn's eyes.

"What?" the man asked cluelessly.

Legolas turned to him, his eyes bright blue eyes filled to the brim with fear, and he shouted "RUN ARAGORN!"