Fair Bit of Crying by Brianna

Sam shook with despair and fear. Frodo was in trouble-the ring had taken him again, and here, of all places-the end. His eyes had darkened and taken on a black look of malice and hatred; his voice had changed, somehow-a bit raspy, the tone not at all reminiscent of the Frodo Baggins Sam knew so well and held so dear. It sounded more like someone else's voice-familiar....Gollum. As the realization hit Sam, as the full truth of what was happening came, a great cry-of anger, of sadness beyond reckoning for all things that had been lost and all things about to be lost-tore through his very being, echoing through the chasm of spitting flames before him. The fire of the cursed mountain lit the whole of the place with a livid, wavering, unwholesome light. The droning roar of the vast flames pounded through Sam so violently, along with the staccato of his heart, that it seemed like it would crush the life out of him if his despair did not. Frodo walking, saying that he would keeping the Ring for himself-"It's mine........my precioussssssss...."

Sam heard him as if from far away, the sound of the fire and his heart deafening him so. Frodo glared down at Sam as he crouched on the ground (unable to support himself in the noise, the bleakness of what was happening), cruel loathing carved purely and deeply onto his usually luminous, elvish face, twisting it into something ugly. The bright redorange flames danced across his pale cream skin as he stood at the edge of the chasm of the flames. Sam tried, in vain, to form some sort of an idea, some sort of thought. Tears and sweat came instead, wetting his face, leaving clean tracks and splotches on his grime-covered cheeks. Frodo's face was similarly dirty as he gazed down at the ring.

Sam wished that he could do something, but he couldn't. It was if his mind had been severed off from the rest of him, leaving him without control over his body. He wanted to reach out to Frodo, to draw him away from the chasm, the Ring, EVERYTHING-and bring him back to his Sam. To his great surprise, Sam's arms suddenly reached out. Frodo's head snapped up-he had sensed Sam's movements. He glared at Sam with his now black eyes, pure, raw hatred flashing in them. Tears dripped off of Sam's chin onto his arms.

"Get away from me, you disgusting, FAT thing. You're nothing, you miserable little filth. You make me sick. You'll die, and soon, and then I won't have to look at you anymore."

Sam let out a hoarse sob of agony. Why? Why Frodo? Why was this happening? No, no, nnnnnnooooooooo! With a jolt, Sam realized that Frodo had shouted this last out loud. Sam saw that Frodo's gaze was focused behind him. Before he could turn and follow Frodo's gaze, Sam was ploughed into from behind, sending him roughly, face-first into the ground. He was immersed in soot, dirt, and Elbereth knew what else. Sam shoved himself back up as he blinked and brushed the mess out of his eyes, the instinct to protect Frodo tearing through him as he did. The sight that greeted him as he squinted, trying to see Frodo and what was happening, horrified him. Gollum was back-and wrestling with an invisible figure. Sam knew right off that it was Frodo, and that he had of course put the ring on, hoping that Gollum couldn't see him. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work.

Sam leapt up, anger flaring up inside him. But as ran at his master and that foul Gollum, he realized that he could do no more than simply watch-Gollum was too strong, and he couldn't see his master. He let out a cry of dismay as Gollum suddenly wrapped his overlarge hands around some part of Frodo and lifted it to his mouth. A howl filled with pain and anguish echoed through the cavern, and Frodo suddenly appeared. His hand was bleeding profusely. Gollum spit the remains of Frodo's right ring finger to the dirty ground and made to put the ring on.

Frodo cried out again and launched himself towards him. Sam dashed after them, but before he could reach them, Frodo had shoved Gollum over the edge of the chasm and into the gaping fire below. Sam caught his master's hand in his, but it slipped away as Frodo was pulled into the chasm by Gollum. Sam tried to catch him again, but Frodo fell and Sam could do nothing but watch as his beloved Frodo fell into the fire, terror alight in his eyes and an anguished wail distorting his face......Sam let out a scream...... And suddenly woke with a start, wrenched inside some dark green sheets and a brown comforter.

He struggled loose, panting, as his memory came back to him......Frodo hadn't fallen into the fire. Frodo was alive. So was Sam. Along with the rest of Middle Earth. Sam let out a deep sigh. A moment afterwards, he heard the sound that had woken him up-Frodo yelling away in the next chamber. Sam leapt up and ran out his door, slipping on a sheet as he did. He picked himself up, cursing his clumsiness, and flung Frodo's door open as he reached it.

His master was on the floor, tangled in a blanket, twitching and crying out. Tears made his cheeks shine, even in the dim light of a candle near the door. His eyes were closed but flickering away. Sam realized with a sigh that he was asleep. Having a nightmare, more likely than not. Sam walked over to Frodo and gathered his body into his arms. He hefted him into his bed, and sat down next to his master.

"Frodo?" he asked quietly, recalling him from the throes of his latest nightmare. Frodo was now having them almost every night..... Sam gently shook his shoulder, and Frodo jumped awake in surprise. His huge blue eyes flitted around the room as he worked out where he was. Then his eyes fell on Sam, and flung himself at his dearest friend.

"Oh, Sam! Sam!" he whispered in a shaking, unsteady voice full of distress. "They had you tied onto a table. They held me right next to you as they......as they........."

Frodo dissolved into fresh tears as he rocked and shook in Sam's arms. Sam hadn't expected that-this was a new nightmare. And it's got me dear in a right state, it has. Curse these terrible visions! I can't seem to do anything that would stop them! Ah, Elbereth, haven't you done enough to poor Frodo here?! Sam tightened his arms around Frodo and kissed his forehead.

"Frodo, Frodo me dear.........It's all right. It was a nightmare. Sam's here. He's got you. Just you cry your heart out, it's all right. No need to hide anything from me."

Tears began in Sam's eyes, borne of frustration, sadness, and helplessness. This is horrible. Won't these nightmares ever let him be? Frodo doesn't deserve 'em any more than he deserved that whole quest. Frodo sighed and sniffed against Sam's chest as he gave him one last squeeze. Then he looked up at Sam, into his eyes. Sam looked down at him and met his gaze. For a few beats they simply looked into eachother's eyes. Frodo finally glanced away, looking at Sam's chest instead. He let out a mighty sniff and looked back up at Sam with a shaky smile.

"I've ruined your nightshirt Sam.......I'm sorry."

"Oh, never you mind, Mr. Frodo. Surely a good wash will take care of it." Frodo's smile grew a bit steadier as he nodded and settled himself down onto his bed.

"Lay down with me a bit, Sam? I'm sorry, it's just......."

"Of course your Sam will lie here with you, Frodo. No need to ask it. 'Till you fall asleep, then, me dear?" Frodo smiled and wriggled over on the bed to make room for Sam in answer. Sam lay down and shifted around awkwardly, unsure of how to position himself. Frodo grinned at this shyness.

"No need to be shy, Sam. There's a pillow. Now, come here." Sam scooted over and into Frodo's open arms, his face somewhat hot. Their eyes met as they faced each other. Frodo's brow furrowed suddenly.

"Sam-you've been crying."

"Oh, yes, well......I guess it was just because you were so upset and all and I couldn't help but be sad too. Besides, you've done a fair bit of cryin' yourself, Mr. Frodo, if you don't mind." Frodo's face softened at these words, and his eyes were all of a sudden very bright. My dear, sweet Sam. I don't deserve your kindness, I think. But maybe.....maybe I could try. Show you how much I care about you, how grateful I am that you're with me....

"Oh, Sam......" With these words, he leaned forward and kissed Sam underneath his left eye.

His tongue flicked out as he lapped up Sam's tears. So soft. His skin's so soft-and warm. As Frodo moved along Sam's face, his tongue-feels like velvet, like....darted out between his soft, moist lips and sent tingles along Sam's spine. I don't rightly believe this is happening. I think maybe I'm the one that's dreaming he thought as Frodo kissed his nose, feather-light. Or maybe Frodo's really cracked.....or his nightmare was so terrible that he needs comfort from anyone, even the likes of me as Frodo cupped his face with one hand and grasped one of Sam's with his other. Their fingers curled around one another. I can FEEL his heart.....it's beating so loudly....if only I could hear that sound forever, maybe I could sleep....Frodo mused as he realized that he and Sam were pressed together at the chest.

I wonder if he can feel mine.He moved along Sam's face until all the tear remnants were gone. Frodo's cheeks were pink as he looked up at Sam to gauge his response. Sam was slightly pink as well. He cleared his throat after a few seconds.

"Frodo.....that-that was right nice of you. D-do you think maybe......maybe I could clean you up a bit, too?" Sam's face went redder as he asked. Frodo let out a breathy laugh.

"I think that would be wonderful, Sam." His eyes crinkled with happiness as he moved his face slightly to a better position. Sam started silently as he realized that they were both trembling. Please, don't let me muss this up.....Sam prayed as he brushed Frodo's eyes closed with his lips. He moved down along one of Frodo's hot cheeks, shyly licking the salt away. Sam, Sam......always with me.....never leave me....I'm afraid of what might happen if you do..... Sam moved to Frodo's other cheek. He tugged him closer as he did, pushing their chests together again as he did. He's trembling....his heart's going so fast.....Am I really doing this? Is this really happening? Sam thought, amazed and wondering at the thought. They were wrapped together. Before either one knew what they were doing, their lips met tremulously. Sam gasped, and Frodo tasted salt on Sam's lips. They parted as quickly as they had kissed when they realized simultaneously what was happening. Sam was red, sure that he had overstepped his bounds and was about to hear it from his Mr. Frodo. Frodo's eyes stared up at Sam, bigger than ever and gleaming; he was afraid Sam was going to leave him in disgust.

"Mr. Frodo, sir, I-"

"Sam, I-" They both looked away, embarrassed. Sam broke the silence a moment later.

"Mr. Frodo, sir, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to. If you want me to pack up and leave like, I'd understand. And I'm sorry." Sam's heart was in his throat and thundering in his ears as he looked at Frodo and waited for his response. To his utter shock, a wide smile came across his master's face.

"Sam.....I don't want you to ever leave me. I don't know how I'd.....survive......if you did."

A tremor of fear went through Frodo as he confessed this to Sam. Please, Sam....understand.....I love you......

"Well, Frodo," said Sam in a quiet voice, "you'll never have to worry yourself about that. I couldn't ever leave you. I.....I-I think I love you, Mr. Frodo."

With a cry, Frodo pulled Sam to him and kissed him.