Waiting For The Dawn by Toni, Aronoded

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: Sequel to the fiction called "The Kiss."

Finally, after a year and a half of wondering what could have been with my RP with Venya, my inspiration has returned. This is completely my interpretation of what happened between our two favorite elves and the best battle on screen to date. Read and review, if you'd like. Enjoy!
"Legolas..."

It was there they were interrupted by the sound of clanking metal running down cobble stones. The night was growing darker, as the rain outside beat down upon the unfortunate beings caught in it's storm. Legolas kept eye contact with Haldir, his breathing quickening in anticipation. It was now or never, he knew. Whatever Haldir was going to say, had to be said now or it never would be. Eyes searching, nerves growing more tense. Still there was nothing. All right, fine! If Haldir wouldn't say what he felt, then he would. He wouldn't waste what precious seconds they had left. He wanted to say what he was feeling. It was on the tip of his velvet tongue. He had but to open his mouth and then the whole world would know what he truly felt and desired towards the closest member of his kin.

Parting petals, a tongue swept over them in nervousness. Here went nothing...just then two guards came to a stop at the end of the tunnel. Catching his breath, one man in suited armor said "Emissary, the King request your presence immediately." Haldir was the first to break eye contact, turning away to nod to the men, "I will follow. Tell the King I am coming." With a bow and a nod, the two soldiers retreated back down the tunnel, up the stair case and out the door, leaving the two of them alone. Together. Their moment completely shattered.

Legolas took a step forward, grabbing the warden by the back of his head, then pulled him down for another kiss. Haldir was completely startled, withdrawing at once, eyes wide. "Legolas, we cannot do this."

Legolas furrowed his eyebrows, not understanding. Only moments ago this is what they fought for their lives for. A chance at true happiness. For the silver lining of clouds and the bright rays of the sun. For the many children that had a life left to grow, and many lessons which to learn. In hopes for the brooks to gurgle their sad songs and the trees to go ever taller and their leaves to change many a color before fading in death. This is what war was about. Fighting to see another glorious day. For all the people and plants and animals they'd all grown up with and to preserve their diverse natures. But as he had thought, the moment was shattered. Those few stolen minutes had passed and their fate was sealed.

Pulling Haldir close, Legolas stared intensely at his friend of many ages. "Haldir, do you know what this means? We go out there looking for death. Yet, you cannot wait to be embraced by its cold touch. It is madness and for that, I fight the harder. For our friends, our kin. For the future of Rohan and all of Middle Earth." Haldir was silent for a few moments, taking the princes words to heart. How he wanted to reply with such heated passion, but he could not. So regretfully, he pulled away once last time. Taking the younger elf's hand into his, stroking the gentle digits that rest entwined, he spoke no more than a whisper, but stern nonetheless. "You will see another day, my Prince. Stay safe and well and may Eleberth shine down on you."

Then with a flourish of darkened red silk, he was gone. Down the tunnel and out of his life. Tilting his head down, ocean blues wide with sorrow and fear, doubt and grief. He looked to he hand his deepest love had held but moments before and a pain shot threw his hard, quicker than any arrow ever could. He had missed the most opportune moment that he'd learn to regret for the rest of his life. Yet, what Haldir left unsaid still plagued his mind too. The look of seriousness had made him go into high alert mode in seconds. Whatever he wanted to say was important, and he wished he knew what it was.

Taking a deep breath, he steeled himself for the battle to come. His presence was probably missed and was needed on the wall aside Gimli and the other elves. Going to the wall, he gathered his weapons, slinging his bow over one shoulder, quiver in the other hand. With that, he began to make haste down the hall when he caught noises not far off. They were murmured whispers of a foreign tongue -- elvish. Now he was curious. Creeping along the hallway, he spotted a wooden door that was shut, and the whispers grew from behind the door. Glancing about, he double checked the area was clear, before leaning close to the door.

"...it's what the lady showed him before we set out. It's his business and his will to tell whom he shall," said an elf, with a stern resolve.

"...but don't you think he should know? You know how close they are."

"I suppose it would bring them some fleeting moments of happiness."

"But what of the end result? He would surely die from heart ache. "

"At least then, they'd both know where their hearts had laid silent for so long. They'd finally be reunited!"

"...we cannot tell him! Don't you understand? He would be crushed!" the other voice was now saying feverously.

"Then what would you have us do, Rumil? Ruin the one chance at a better life they might have made? You know as well as I do, that he loves him. With more than just his heart and soul."

"I know that, as well as you do, Orophin. But what then? What if Haldir had told him? Would you condemn them both to death?! I cannot stand this any longer!"

"No! I would not want to see Legolas stricken with grief, to he was beyond sick enough to move. He is one of our close kin as well."

"Then you understand why we must bite our tongues, and speak naught of this terrible burden hanging over our shoulders. If Legolas were to find out..."

"It would crush him." There was a heavy silence that fell over the room. Legolas mind was reeling. Something terrible seemed to on the rise of this war. Even if they should last the night, what of Haldir? The tone in which his brothers spoken chilled him with a new found fear.

"But what if..." He couldn't take any more of this. He would go mad from the curiosity he was feeling. He need fresh air and knew the rain would be welcomed once again. His skin was on fire beneath the layers of cloth and armor he sported. Shaking his head in an attempt to clear his thought, he fled. In his haste, he forgot to shut the door. Around the corner he went and a loud thud was heard, leaving the elves back in the tunnel to themselves.

At the resounding thud of the door, Orophin held up a hand. "Quiet. Someone is here." Rumil turned to the door, then back to his brother. With a nod, he crept over to the door, wagering a glance out into the hallway. When he didn't see anyone, he gestured for Orophin to follow. So quietly they went into the hallway, checking around for visitors, or a sign that someone might of been there.

"I don't see anything," said Orophin. "Let's head to the wall. War shall be upon us soon."

Rumil nodded, then spotted something in the far corner of the tunnel. "Wait," he called to the retreating back of his brother.

The older elf turned to him in question. "Over there," he pointed. Furrowing his eyebrows, Rumil went down the hall, until he was near a backdoor. Opening it some, he spotted a grove of secluded trees near a corner and the rain now falling hard. He then looked to Orophin. "Did you see that?"

"Yes, I did. The perfect grounds for two to slip away unnoticed..." he was hinting.

"Orophin, do you think...?"

"It would explain where our dear brother had been when we needed him."

"Then maybe Legolas and he..."

"Maybe so. One could only hope."

"But what of?"

"Time will tell, brother."

Rumil glanced down, nodding. There was that glimmer again. Allowing the door to close itself, he went towards the gleaming object, gasping some at what he saw. There lying against the wall, was a long shafted arrow, yellow feathers and elvish inscripture shining in the golden torch light. Reaching down, nimble digits grasped it gently, bringing it closer to inspect. Turning some, he showed it to Orophin, who also had realization spread across his face. "It's a Mirkwood arrow."

"Belonging to the Prince Legolas, no doubt."

"So they did get a few words in."

"This would be our proof."

A horrible guilt washed over Rumil at this realization. "That means Legolas was in the hallway, and over heard us talking about him and Haldir..."

"Sweet Eleberth..." Orophin whispered. This wasn't good at all. What if Legolas had heard them speak of Haldir's undying love for the younger elf or that Haldir's death would come at the latest hour of this battle? That really would caught the elf to die from a broken heart. Shutting his eyes tight, he spun on heel and began marching down the hallway.

"But Orophin! What do we do with this?" He held up the arrow for infosys.

Orophin didn't even glance back. "Let is rest where it has fallen. I fear the hour of judgment has begun."

With that, Rumil ran to catch up with his brother, and out into the battlements they went, preparing to join their kin along the wall and wait for the battle that would determine the rest of their lives.