Gollum's Revenge by Deutzy

Merry, Frodo, Sam and Pippin were sitting on one of the lawns of Rivendell. It was a lovely summer's day, and all four of the hobbits were just lying there, chatting and trying not to overheat.

Sam and Pippin were still with them. A few days after they had told Merry and Frodo of their plans to leave, they had found out that Arwen was pregnant, and neither of them wanted to leave without seeing the baby. Aragorn hadn't stopped smiling ever since they had announced it, and was acting like a young child during the run up to Christmas.

The announcement had been 7 months ago, and the baby was due any day now (naturally, Arwen and Aragorn didn't tell everyone the second they found out themselves).

'I'm hot.' Pippin mumbled, unbuttoning his shirt.

'Well, go inside then, and stop complaining.' Frodo replied.

'It's boring inside!'

'Then don't complain!' Sam said.

'I wasn't complaining,' Pippin said, more to himself than to anyone else.

The four hobbits could hear hurried footsteps going across the courtyard. They all looked up out of curiosity, as elves were nearly as unlikely to run as Ents, who were very slow creatures.

They immediately recognised the blond elf as Elriong, one of the elves who was helping Frodo.

'What's he in a rush about?' Merry asked no one in particular.

'I don't know.' The other three replied.

Elriong disappeared into one of the buildings, or to be more precise, the great library of Rivendell. He returned a few minutes later with Aragorn running along next to him.

'Ah.' Sam said. 'I think he's about to become a dad.'




Sam had been right. Arwen had given birth to a baby girl, whom they had named Thraviel. She had blonde hair, like Elrond, and deep brown eyes. Though technically she was a half-elf, she looked just like a baby elf, and acted like a baby elf. Frodo, Merry, Sam and Pippin had been allowed to see her when she was a few days old.

They all thought she was the cutest thing ever. They were all allowed to hold her, and were all very reluctant to give her back to Aragorn and Arwen. Sam and Pippin found it slightly easier than Merry and Frodo, who would have gladly kept her forever.

Sam watched as Frodo took Thraviel in his arms, and Merry stood at his side, tickling the baby elf with one hand, while his other arm was around Frodo. It seemed unfair that even though these two hobbits were so deeply in love, they would never be able to have children. This was also what was going through Arwen and Aragorn's minds, and Merry and Frodo's.

Eventually, Frodo handed Thraviel back to Aragorn, who tried to be sympathetic as he took his daughter. 'Any time you want to come and see her, you can.' He said, hoping that that would at least be some consolation. Frodo and Merry nodded.




'Right, you're going to make it today, Frodo.' Elvéndir said, standing at the doorway of Frodo and Merry's room. 'You are going to get outside, from here, without any help, on staircases or anything.'

Frodo nodded determinedly. 'I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it.' He kept on saying to himself.

'I'll see you outside,' Elvéndir said, leaving the room.

'I'm staying with you, in case you fall.' Merry said. With that, Frodo walked from his room, down to the end of the corridor, and down the first two flights of stairs. He was now on the second floor. He went down the third flight of stairs, and wobbled slightly as he reached the bottom. Merry was there to catch him if he fell, but he managed to steady himself. He got to the bottom of the fourth staircase, and could see Sam, Pippin and Elvéndir outside. He carried on going, and made it to the door, and down the few stairs to the courtyard.

'I did it!' He said, sitting on the bottom step.

'You did it!' Merry said, and gave Frodo a huge hug and kiss.

'You did it!' Sam and Pippin said, hugging their friend.

'You need no more help, Frodo.' Elvéndir said. 'If you can do that, you can go anywhere in Rivendell. So long as you keep walking every day, you won't need anyone to steady you at all.'

'Thank you.' Frodo said. 'Thank you all.'

'Hey, what are friends for?' Pippin said, sitting on the bottom step, with Sam next to him.

Frodo smiled and turned to Merry, taking Merry's hands in his. 'Thank you, Merry. Thank you for standing by me.'

Merry said nothing in reply, but the look in his eyes said more than a thousand words ever could...

From the moment I met you
I just knew you'd be mine
You touched my hand
And I knew that this was gonna be our time

I don't ever wanna lose this feeling
I don't wanna spend a moment apart

'Cause you bring out the best in me
Like no one else can do
That's why I'm by your side
And that's why I love you

Every day that I'm here with you
I know that it feels right
And I've just got to be near you
Every day and every night

And you know that we belong together
It just had to be you and me

Cause you bring out the best in me
Like no one else can do
That's why I'm by your side
And that's why I love you

And you know that we belong together
It just had to be you and me





Sam and Pippin were running around their room like headless chickens, trying to sort out their rooms, and packing up all the items they had acquired during their time in Rivendell.

Merry and Frodo were just standing in a corner, being of no help whatsoever. They were more interested in each other than helping their friends pack. Sam and Pippin were leaving for the Shire the next day, and were totally unorganised.

There was going to be a small ceremony in the church that afternoon, to accept Thraviel into Rivendell, which all four of the hobbits had been invited to. It was the elven equivalent of a christening. Sam and Pippin were staying for that, and then going the next morning.

They finally managed to tidy the room, and put all their belongings in their packs, just as the bell in the courtyard outside their window chimed for lunch.

'Yey! Food!' Pippin said, running from the room. The other three hobbits laughed at the youngest of their companions, before making their own way to the great hall in a more dignified fashion than Pippin.




That afternoon, they made their way to the small elven church they had gone to for Arwen and Aragorn's wedding. Gandalf and Legolas were outside, waiting for Frodo, Merry, Sam and Pippin. Once they had all met up, they made their way inside the church.

Frodo recognised most of the people inside the church. There was Arwen and Aragorn, of course, and Arwen was holding Thraviel. Elrond was at her side, and talking to them was the same priest that had married Arwen and Aragorn - Delil-Gariand. Frodo recognised two female elves that were sitting together, chatting, as two of Arwen's closest friends – Hadriedien (the one who Legolas had a crush on) and Eäriolindë, a very young elf with short blonde hair. On the other side of the aisle, three male elves sat. Two of them all four of the hobbits recognised as Elvéndir and Elriong, and with them was another elf with long, gingery hair. This was Elran, one of Aragorn's closest elven friends, and a tutor to the young elves of Rivendell. He had taught Frodo a bit of Elvish, and had been teaching Sam about the ways of the elves as well.

The ceremony was short. Delil-Gariand took Thraviel, and blessed her, and said a few lines about being accepted into Rivendell. Then, just like in a christening, a small bit of water was put across her forehead before being given back to Arwen.

There was a great party that night, just like the night of Arwen and Aragorn's wedding. Frodo enjoyed this party much more though, as he was up and about, and he and Merry didn't have to hide their relationship. They didn't leave until the early hours of the morning.




The next morning, Sam and Pippin were given two elven ponies, so that they could ride back to the Shire. Their packs were put on their ponies' backs, and after saying goodbye to their friends, rode off.

There were tears in Frodo's eyes as he watched them go. 'I'll miss them.' He said to Merry.

'Don't worry, Fro, I'm sure that isn't the last we'll be seeing of them.'




Several years passed. In Rivendell, Thraviel grew into an adorable little elf, and gained a younger brother, who was named Elvér. Elvér looked like an elf, but had the eyes and hair of his father.

Legolas finally plucked up the courage to talk to Hadriedien, and they had become lovers almost immediately. They were now engaged.

In the Shire, Pippin remained single, while Sam had married Rosie Cotton. Both Sam and Pippin kept in close contact with Merry and Frodo, sending letters frequently, much to the annoyance of the local hobbit postmen, who kept having to go on journeys to Rivendell and back.

Sam had found it hard to tell Frodo of his latest news in his last letter. Rosie was pregnant, and he was going to be a dad. He knew that that was one thing that Frodo really wanted for himself, and couldn't be. But he also knew that if Frodo found out, and he hadn't told him, Frodo would be offended.

As expected, Sam had received a letter back, and Frodo kept on saying how lucky Sam was, and how dearly Frodo would like a child of his own. Sam sighed, and put the letter away with all the others from Frodo.




Sam and Rosie were both shocked when Rosie gave birth to twins. 'I can't cope with two children at once, Sam!' Rosie cried, hugging her husband soon after the babies had been born.

'We'll think of something,' Sam said, 'We'll work it out.' He already had a plan in his mind...




On the same day that Sam's first children were born, Merry and Frodo were walking by one of the lakes in Rivendell. They both considered it to be one of the most beautiful and romantic places in Rivendell.

Merry and Frodo had their arms around each other, and Frodo was resting his head on Merry's shoulder.

'Fro?' Merry asked.

'Yeah?' Frodo mumbled.

'I need to ask you something...'

'Go on.'

Merry stopped walking, and fell to one knee. Frodo gasped in surprise. 'Frodo...' Merry began. 'Will you... will you marry me?'