Love Letters: A Frodo Investigates! Mystery by Kathryn Ramage

In the morning, as they were preparing for their journey to Frogmorton, there was a knock on the door. Since Sam was busy packing a bag for Frodo, Rosie went to answer it.

She returned to announce, "There's somebody to see you, Mr. Frodo. I told him you was about to leave, but he begs a minute of your time before you're off. He says it's most important."

"Very well. I suppose I can spare a minute, if it's urgent." Frodo went to the door to find his visitor standing in the front hall, waiting for him--a hobbit-lad of about his own age, perhaps a farmer or tradesman's assistant by his clothes, but no one Frodo knew.

"You're Frodo Baggins, the famous detective?" his visitor asked.

"Yes, that's right." Frodo had to smile at 'the famous detective' appellation. "I believe you wanted to see me?"

"I thought as you'd like to see me, Mr. Baggins. I've got sommat to give you." The young hobbit reached into a pocket of his worn tweed coat and brought out a packet of letters, tied with a faded blue hair-ribbon; Frodo could see that the topmost envelope was addressed to 'Rolo'. "I heard you was looking for these, for Cammie Bilbury--or, Stillwaters, I should say, though I won't ever be used to calling her by that name."

This was an unexpected turn. "Are you Rolo Bindbole?"

His visitor nodded. "I expect Cammie's told you about me, if she's asked you to get these back for her."

"She did." Frodo wondered what sort of game this Rolo was playing. Did he mean to sell the letters he'd just bought? At what price? There was only one way to find out. "Please, Mr. Bindbole, won't you come in, so we can discuss this matter?" The necessary conversation would be better held someplace more private than the front hall. He guided Rolo down the hallway in the direction of his study, then popped his head into the sitting room to call out, "Rosie, tell Sam to stop packing. We won't be going to Frogmorton today."

"You were at the Polwygle Inn yesterday," Frodo said once he joined his guest in the study. "You bought those letters from Betula Root and her friend, the stable-lad."

"That I did," Rolo answered. "They cost me quite a bit too, but I expect the lad thought I could make more money from them, through Cammie or her family. If you want to know, I was still at the Inn last night when your friend was there, though I didn't see him, nor learnt what he was after 'til he'd gone. It was the stable-lad who told me." He grinned. "He came to me and wanted to buy the lot back. I wouldn't, not for the same as I paid for 'em, and when he offered me more'n that, I got suspicious of what he was up to. I finally got it out of the lad that the famous detective from Hobbiton had agents out looking for 'em and was giving out a big reward. Gold. So I thought as I'd come to you myself."

"I see." It was just as Frodo had suspected. "I'll be happy to compensate you for your trouble, Mr. Bindbole," he said dryly. "And there is, of course, the question of a reward. How much do you expect those letters are worth?"

"More'n all the gold in the Shire to Cammie," said Rolo, "but I don't want your money, Mr. Baggins, nor any of hers."

"You mean, you've decided not to sell Mrs. Stillwaters' correspondence?" Frodo asked, surprised.

"I never meant to," Rolo answered. "I'm giving 'em to you." He put the packet of letters down on Frodo's desk.

Frodo didn't know what to make of this. Until Rolo had come here, he'd been fairly certain that Camellia Stillwaters' former love was behind the theft of her letters--perhaps, had asked Betula to steal them for him, and she'd taken them away with her instead--but he couldn't believe so now. Why would Rolo go to the effort of stealing the letters only to return them?

"I see what you think, Mr. Baggins," Rolo said, without rancor. "I don't blame you, not if Cammie's told you tales of how her family said I was after her money--but I tell you it an't so, and never was. I don't want a thing from her, and I wish no harm to her. She's made her choice, and I hope she'll be happy in it." There was a note of bitterness in his voice, but Frodo thought he meant it; Rolo wasn't after revenge any more than money. "When I learnt how this maid as worked for Cammie had the letters I wrote her, I bought 'em back. I knew she wouldn't want 'em passed around for anybody to read. I was planning to send 'em to Cammie myself, but when I heard how she'd hired you to find 'em, Mr. Baggins, I thought I'd do better to bring 'em to you. Cammie might refuse a package from me if she saw my handwriting on it, or else her husband might get hold of it and put her in just the trouble she wants to avoid. You'll do what's right--send 'em to Cammie, or burn 'em yourself."

"Yes, I will." Since Camellia had requested particularly that her letters be returned to her, Frodo would send them. "Would you like me to tell Mrs. Stillwaters the part you played in this affair?" he offered, rather ashamed of his uncharitable suspicions and trying to make amends.

Rolo shook his head. "Thank you, Mr. Baggins, but no. It wouldn't be fitting."