New Love by Mercutio

"Peregrin Took, where in the world have you been?" The voice of Pippin's mother was the first thing that Merry and Pippin heard upon entering Brandy Hall. "What in the world have..?" Her voice trailed off as she stared at the two muddy Hobbits. "Peregrin Took! Meriadoc Brandybuck! Explain yourselves!" Both Merry and Pippin winced. Merry decided to explain.

"We were walking back and it started raining and we fell down that muddy hill." Pippin's mother looked at them both reprovingly.

"Well," she said brusquely. "When the two of you have changed and bathed you can clean the hallway. Just look at the mess you made!" She proved her point by pointing at the doorway, where they'd just walked in and made a huge mess. "Then you can have your supper," she added. She shook her head and walked back toward the kitchen. The cousins waited until they were sure she was out of earshot and started laughing. Pippin smiled at his cousin.

"Let's go get cleaned up," he said. "I need a good soak." Merry nodded and they headed toward Pippin's room. Over the years Merry had stayed at Brandy Hall almost as much as he'd stayed at home so Pippin's room had two drawers of Merry's clothes as well as two of his own. They both got out some clean clothes and Pippin made the bath ready. He wasn't sure that he felt comfortable taking a bath with Merry. They'd taken baths together before, but earlier when Pippin had pinned Merry beneath him, he'd felt something he wasn't used to. He didn't know if being alone and naked with his older cousin was a good idea. What if he acted on those feelings and Merry didn't respond. Or worse, what if Merry got mad at him and refused to speak to him ever again? Pippin didn't think he could stand not having Merry by his side. Pippin shook his head. Another thought entered his mind: what if Merry felt the same way for him as he did for Merry? He turned when he heard Merry coming in and swore in his head when he saw Merry on with only a towel around his waist.

Pippin smiled shyly at Merry and turned his back. He walked into his room and took a deep breath. You can do this, he told himself as he got undressed. He pulled a towel around his waist and walked back into the room. Merry had his eyes closed and was leaning against the side of the tub. His wet curls were clinging to his forehead and Pippin felt a lurch in his stomach region as he watched a drop of water fall from a silky tendril and land on his chest, his mind tracing the drop's path down Merry's torso as it went down, finally dissolving into the rest of the warm water. Pippin shook his head to clear it, pulled off his towel and stepped into the bath.

"Hey Pip," Merry said softly. Pippin looked over at him. "We should do this more often, Pip." He sank down for a moment into the velvety water. Pippin sighed and leaned his head back against the tub, staring at the ceiling.

"Mmm," he murmured. "This is nice, Merry." Merry smiled and Pippin felt a warmth in the pit of his stomach. He impulsively reached out a hand and brushed a stray curl out of Merry's eyes. Merry moved his cheek into the touch and sighed contentedly. Pippin withdrew his hand and immediately missed the warmth. Merry looked at Pippin with a strange look in his eyes that made him shiver and lower his gaze.

Pippin began to wash himself with a damp cloth. He wasn't aware that Merry's eyes were following every dip and turn of the washcloth. Once he was finished he wet his hair again and began to wash that. This time he noticed Merry watching him with that same look in his eyes.

"Merry," he asked quietly. "Is something the matter? Do I have a huge clump of mud stuck in my ear or something?" Merry laughed at his naive cousin.

"No Pip," he said, his smile fading from his lips. "You're completely clean. I was just thinking." Merry's voice sounded sad and Pippin hated it when Merry was sad.

"I was thinking too," he said. Something flashed in Merry's eyes and Pippin continued, words spilling from his mouth. Words he meant to keep a secret. "I was thinking of how much I love you." Pippin's eyes went wide and he shut his eyes tight so he wouldn't have to see Merry's look of disgust. Tears spilled from his closed eyes. When Merry didn't say anything Pippin gave a strangled sob and tore out of the bath. He was struggling to put his clothes on when Merry came out of the bath and found his voice.

"Pippin," he pleaded softly. "Pippin, look at me." Pippin suppressed a sob and shook his head. He wrenched his arm out of Merry's grip when Merry tried to make him look at him. He ran out of the room and out of the house. He ran as far as he could and, finally, he collapsed against the very tree that Merry had been lounging under before it had rained. He curled into a ball and sobbed until his tears dried up and he fell asleep, his heart hurting terribly.