Once in a Lifetime by Silvertoekee

The day was very beautiful and birds sung happily outside, and yet one elf paid no attention. Lord Elrond gazed distractedly at the papers in front of him but didn't see it. He had hoped that his son Estel would finally have that talk with Glorfindel and everything would be settled. But in the end it hadn't worked out that way and things were getting worse.




Elrond watched as his as the party approached Imladris and could tell something was amiss. Estel looked very upset and yet tried to hide it. Gazing at the messenger he had a sinking idea he knew what it was and it didn't bode well at all. Greeting the messenger of Lothelorien, he asked for Glorfindel to show the other elf to his room. Walking over to his son, he placed a comforting hand on Estel's shoulder and smiled sadly at him.

"I take it your confession to Glorfindel didn't go to well?"

He watched as his son looked at him in astonishment and a little fear. Letting out a sigh, he pulled his son into a hug and held on tight.

"You didn't think I had known my son? Remember I have raised you since you were a baby and I can always tell when you are hiding something from me."

Estel sagged against him and let out a sigh. "I am sorry father that I didn't tell you but I was afraid."

Elrond hugged his son closer and kissed the top of his head. "No matter what you do or the trouble you get into, I will always love you my son."

Holding his son at arms reach he gazed into sad silver eyes and smiled with reassurance. "Don't give up on confessing to Glorfindel, Estel. It is better to know how he truly feels then to always wonder."

A smile blossomed on Estel's face and he nodded. "That is true and I will tell him soon ada."





Letting out a sigh, Elrond rubbed his eyes and gazed out the window. He had thought that his talk with his son would get him to confess but it didn't work. The elf Saliader was constantly around Glorfindel and it appeared that his seneschal didn't mind. And if Elrond guessed right then he knew that Estel thought that Glorfindel liked the other elf and was afraid that he would be rejected after his confession. It was a horrible situation and didn't appear to be getting better. Estel was becoming more withdrawn and sadness shown in his silver eyes. If something wasn't done soon then he was afraid his son would waste away or worse. Standing up he decided to find Estel and have a talk with him. Stepping out of his study, he strode down the hall and slowed to a halt. Golden blonde hair caught his attention and he wondered what the other elf was doing.

Glorfindel gazed out over the land of Imladris in irritation and leaned against the balcony. The past few days had been hellish with Saliader flirtations and Estel's cold silence. It had all started since they had met the elf on the road and escorted him to Imladris. The other elf was attractive with his long brown hair, green eyes, and pale smooth skin. Normally he would have been attracted but for some reason he wasn't. He still couldn't figure out what was bothering the boy and why he was giving him the cold shoulder treatment.

"Glorfindel?"

He turned around and blinked in surprise. Elrond stood a few feet away and was regarding him curiously.

"What is it Elrond?"

The elf lord wondered at the irritated expression on his friend's face and gazed at him worriedly.

"What troubles you so my friend?"

Leaning against the balcony, Glorfindel let out a half hearted sigh. "Just about everything my lord and it's driving me crazy."

"What do you mean by that?" Elrond asked curiously.

"What I mean is that Saliader and Estel are driving me crazy." Raking a hand through his hair Glorfindel gazed moodily at his feet. "Your son is giving me the cold shoulder treatment and that messenger keeps trying to seduce me."

Elrond began to chuckle and Glorfindel glared at him. "I do not see what's so funny my friend."

"This is the first time I have ever seen you so upset that another elf is chasing you and or even wants you." The elf lord said laughingly. "Usually you are very happy when this occurs or even chase them yourself.

Glorfindel smiled ruefully and shook his head. "That is true but I do not want this elf and hoped he would get the point when I avoided him. And now what is wrong with your youngest Elrond? I almost found out the other day what was wrong but ever since Saliader has appeared he won't speak to me."

Elrond almost laughed for joy at hearing those words and sighed in relief. He was terribly glad that his friend didn't care about the other elf and now maybe he could get his son to confess.

"I am not sure my friend but I am sure you will find out."

Grinning at the bewildered expression on Glorfindel's face, Elrond bid him goodbye and went to find his son.

Glorfindel watched the elf lord stroll down the hallway and could almost swear that the other was about to skip. Shaking theses thoughts aside, he gazed back at the window.

Saliader walked down the hallway and regarded Glorfindel with a hungry gaze. He had longed for the seneschal ever since he had come to Lothelorien so many years ago. The elf was just what he wanted in a lover and whatever he wanted he got. He had noticed that the other elf had no one currently and this was a golden opportunity for him. Taking a few steps forward, he gently touched the seneschal on the shoulder and watched him turn around.

"Good day my Lord Glorfindel."

Closing his eyes in frustration, Glorfindel pasted a polite smile on his face. "Yes Saliader?"

The Lorien elf stepped forward and smiled warmly at him. "I was wondering if you could show me more of Imladris before I leave tomorrow."

Several reasons why he couldn't flew through Glorfindel head but he decided to humor the elf. Besides after tomorrow he would be rid of the annoying elf and hopefully things would be back to normal.

"Yes I can."

He almost groaned in annoyance when the Saliader latched onto his arm like leach. Glorfindel hoped he wouldn't regret this and let the elf drag him away. He didn't see the predatory like smile on Saliader lips or else he would have been highly suspicious.