Natul Poika (Becoming Pure) by Nerwen

Story notes: This story is about a growing and blossoming relationship between Glorfindel and Thranduil. There is an OC character by the name of Terrance who is Thranduil’s military council, general, and dear friend. I also portray Thranduil having three children including Legolas. Elvin word definitions are displayed at the end of the chapter in the order they appear. The rating will change each chapter because of the many different moods the fiction displays. Check the rating before you proceed please.
Thranduil breathed in the fresh clean air around him as he looked about the beautiful forest from his Talan balcony. It was the Clarity Sacrament, a ceremony that took place every three hundred years, where who you were and what you did didn't matter. It didn't matter if you were the king of a realm or a peasant stable attendant; here you were just an elf, nothing more or less. Enchanting songs were carried on the wind and laughter and love were abound, it was a time when all was well and all would be well.

This was his first time; Thranduil had actually decided to stay for the duration of the ceremony. He would usually accompany his children to the forest where the ritual took place; a secluded woodland far from any accompanying realms, for it belonged to all elf's. But Thranduil never stayed, he had his duties, and his wife, he didn't feel the need to attend. Attendance wasn't mandatory and normally the kingdom was quiet and peaceful while the ceremony took place. He didn't need the ritual to spend quality time with the one he loved. He loved his wife, he met her when he was very young and never felt the need to be with any other. Also with his realm being peaceful and quiet during this time, he had time to reflect and cleanse his soul; he didn't need to travel to do so.

Unfortunately at the birth of their third child Legolas, she didn't survive very long afterward. She had always been rather weak for an elf, and although she had a strong heart her body just couldn't take any more than it already had endured. She was happy to give her husband the children, she loved him and would never regret giving him a family, and her only regret was leaving him.

Thranduil took the death of his wife harder than most expected, she was always his light at the end of the tunnel guiding him and caring for him, and he did love her immensely. It wasn't just a formal marriage although it was an established relationship by his father, they were truly and honestly in love, no matter what his father wished, he could not pretend to love another, Thranduil's love was always true and absolute. Most thought their young king would fade from a broken heart, but Thranduil gathered all the strength and courage he could to survive, for his children. He knew what it was like to be so suddenly thrust into the throne, and he didn't with that for his eldest who was still too young to assume the throne. Not to mention his youngest son Legolas...he didn't want Legolas to live without knowing either of his parents, no he would survive.

Legolas looked very much like Thranduil, same blonde hair and blue eyes. Legolas' eyes were a beautiful clear blue color, like fresh rain. He had a lithe frame with straight and long hair that glowed beautifully whenever the sun captured it, and was past his shoulders reaching his mid-back. His lips resembled pink rose petals and have been claimed to feel the same, although very few would actually know. Legolas' personality was one of a free spirit and one who had a profound love for life.

Thranduil's second son Lenwë had the look of his mother, he had dark hair that resembled raven feather's, exactly like his mother had, that reached just between his shoulder blades. He had quite an exotic look about him as well with his red lips and innocent hazel eyes. He was also much like his mother in demeanor and personality. He was very studious and enjoyed staying in and reading, more than riding horses with his brothers.

Thranduil's first son Valandil, and crown prince, was very much like his grandfather Oropher. He had silver hair, not to be mistaken for platinum blonde it being more a greyish color and he wore it short rahter than long like his siblings and father. He also had intense mithril eyes that had almost a predatory look about them. He was strong and willfull and would one day be a great leader of Mirkwood, he enjoyed his duties of protroling and had profound skill with a sword. One day he would make Mirkwood proud but for now Thranduil still held the throne.

Thranduil himself was also very unique in appearance, haivng long golden hair that reached his waist, and bright blue eyes that actually changed their color from different arrays of blues and greens. His appearace was honestly very unusual for Sindarin elf but stunning nonetheless. He had a slender yet well built body and many regarded him to be of the fairest in middle earth, his beauty rivaling that of the Lady Galadriel, although he had always been quite modest. Thranduil was usually absorbed in work but enjoyed the simple things in life such as walking among his gardens in calm serenity and quietly reading as opposed to the fast paced and demanding lifestyle he was forced to lead as the cause of his position as a King.




Thranduil shook away those thoughts, he was here to relax and retire himself to simply lounge about, and catch up on some much needed rest. Thranduil and his sons quickly separated and Thranduil found himself a talan on the outskirts of the forest, far from any others, which he desired. His life long friend and most trusted advisor was the only one he allowed to disturb him.

Thranduil's advisor was Terrance; they had known each other since they were mere elf-lings and there was no other that Thranduil trusted more; Terrance became his military council and head general of Thranduil's army. Terrance was also a former lover although they had moved past that stage in their lives. Terrance insisted that he accompany Thranduil, for no matter what age an elf was if it was their first time attending the ceremony they would need an escort, and Terrance volunteered. Thranduil felt slightly bad that his friend would not be enjoying the ceremony to it's fullest since he had obligated himself to watch after Thranduil but once Terrance decided something he rarely changed his mind.

The ceremony lasted for about six to seven months. Everyone had their own way of commencing the ritual, but after the initial cleanse was finished they released themselves from all burdens and did what pleased them most for the remainder of the ritual. Thranduil wished to relax which would bring him much pleasure, while some would find pleasure in others. Many elf pairs were made during this time, but what struck Thranduil odd was that many pairs did not last past the ceremony, the pair would separate even before the ceremony was over.

Thranduil sighed, if they wished to find pleasure in the flesh that was their prerogative, but it wasn't his. Besides the matter of his deceased wife, another reason was the pleasure some chose to indulge in, Thranduil did not attend the ritual for a good few reasons. He did not wished to be approached, and while most would leave him be as long as he declined, and expressed his want for solitary, it was still irritating to be asked not to mention the persistent ones who didn't take rejection lightly. He chose a talan on the outskirts to limit his interaction with others.

Thranduil grabbed, and put on, a light and absorbent robe and gathered a few oils and supplies.

"Going out? It's getting closer to Twilight...do you require me to accompany you?" Terrance asked.

"That won't be necessary, I prefer to cleanse now, and I need solitude to do so. Although I appreciate your desire to protect me mellonen, I believe I can handle myself." Thranduil said.

"I know you can, but I have watched over you much of my life, you are my Taurelasse...many will wish to pursue you at first glance, and I fear losing you to someone else." Terrance said with a small smile, he was enjoying his position as being Thranduil's protector during this time.

"You exaggerate my friend, I doubt I am as wanted as you say." Thranduil said with a soft smile he never found himself very desirable regardless of what others said. Thranduil turned to face Terrance. "You know...you didn't lose me when I married and I have no desire to be with another, I wish simply to relax, reflect, spend a little time with my children and of course you." Thranduil smiled. "I love you very much Terrance, and you couldn't lose me if you tried." Thranduil smiled affectionately at him before venturing out.

Terrance smiled for Thranduil's sake, but it was somewhat of a sad smile. They had been lovers once, and when their love broke off it was not out of free will, it was the will of Thranduil's father and he even separated them until Thranduil found love in another and married and while Terrance knew Thranduil loved his wife he always wished for Thranduil to return to his arms one day...even now with his wife gone Thranduil still would not hold Terrance in the same regard as he once did. It struck Terrance strange that nothing could wedge between them now and yet Thranduil did not wish for anything more than friendship...as if the feeling of love could never be rekindled once more.




Thranduil traveled a little closer to the center on the forest. The forest was littered with large and small hot springs, cool mineral springs, and small lagoons. Thranduil started the ritual with a cleansing of the body followed by silent meditation and prayer. He later would relax his muscles with exercises and stretches until his entire body was loose and more flexible. Doing all this he hoped to unify all aspects of himself, and benefit his mind, body, and spirit.

He was happy when he found a hot spring blessedly free of other elf's as he removed his robe and eased himself into the warm water. He allowed the hot spring to loosen his muscles so he wouldn't have to stretch so much before his exercise. Thranduil smiled upon noticing the Lissuin soap placed upon a stone tablet near the spring. He grabbed one of the oval shaped bars inhaling the scent with a contented sigh before lathering the soap and running it along his finely toned body.

After he bathed and relaxed a moment in the water he pulled himself out of the hot spring and dried himself off. He knelt giving a short silent prayer before he began his meditation and exercise, his entire being felt more relaxed as he cleared his mind and moved his body.




Glorfindel and Haldir talked quietly among one another as they walked the forest floor. They each knew who the other was, having seen one another on countless occasions, but through the duration of the ceremony, and stay, their names were not used. Friend, partner, companion that was how they addressed one another so that their station would mean nothing.

The two continued their conversation until Glorfindel suddenly cut short his sentence and gazed to his left stopping his walk.

Haldir frowned and stopped as well. "What has caught your notice so well mellonen that is should carry one in my pocket to better hold your attention myself?" He asked following his sight his eyes falling upon the ethereal beauty laid before them.

Haldir found his breath caught in his throat for a moment, Glorfindel having a similar reaction to the elf a good few yards away form them.

Thranduil's golden hair spilled over his shoulders when he pulled his head backward his back arching, legs extended, and arms supporting his weight. His chest was bear and he wore nothing but a tight pair of leggings, not even a sandal was present on his feet. They could clearly see the muscles beneath his skin flex under the strain, his chest tightened and stomached flattened. His body glistened in the twilight and his hair danced with the hues and glows as the sun caught it. The steam ascended from the pool and off Thranduil's body, he shifted and changed positions the cool wind drying his body sending goose bumps over his skin.

Haldir smiled. "Trust only you to find one so enticing." Haldir said knowing exactly what was running through his friends mind as he gazed upon the delectable body and striking features this elf possessed.

"And what might you mean by that?" Glorfindel said lowing his voice just enough so not to alert the elf they watched and disturb the performance, which in its innocent's was actually quite erotic.

"Are we playing ignorant? But a few yards away is one of the fairest elf's I have ever seen, nor do I recall ever seeing him before...that type of beauty I would remember...you were never to leave one such as him alone, have we changed our stripes?" Haldir teased. He knew where Glorfindel's tastes ran and this elf was hitting the bull's-eye dead on.

"You know me far to well Meldir...he is awfully attractive isn't he?" Glorfindel said content with just admiring the elf from afar at the moment before turning his eyes to Haldir.

"Attractive is an understatement, although I'm curious as to why I've never seen him before and he is alone...I would suspect him to catch many eyes just walking into the forest. Surely he didn't enter unnoticed." Haldir said.

Glorfindel simply shrugged. "Lucky me then, no other to interfere...how I will love conquering this one." He said giving a slightly impious smile to Haldir.

Haldir rolled his eyes. "I wish you luck then, I have my eyes already set to another. I will catch up with you later, tell me how this goes for you." Haldir said walking away.




Glorfindel turned his eyes back to the scene at hand but was slightly disappointed to see the beautiful elf pulling on a robe that concealed his form almost completely. Glorfindel frowned being a little disheartened wanting to catch him without so much fabric in his way but shrugged it off and approached the other before he walked out of sight.

"Excuse me..." Glorfindel said once in earshot of the other as the elf turned to meet Glorfindel's eyes. Thranduil's eyes held a slightly green undertone beneath a bright blue that in the right light were astounding, this elf's eyes alone almost took Glorfindel's breath away yet again.

Thranduil looked behind himself turning to see a blonde elf in a simple black tunic and tanned legging with sandals. His eyes were a deep blue, like the sea, and he was obviously a warrior considering his stance and well built body. After a moment Thranduil frowned noticing this new elf wasn't speaking at all. "Yes? Were you speaking with me?" Thranduil asked.

His voice was just as beautiful as the rest of him Glorfindel thought absentmindedly. Glorfindel shook himself from his stupor, chastising himself slightly for staring so obviously at the other. "That I was." Glorfindel said flashing him a brilliant smiled as he walked up to him but was careful not to get too close. He didn't know if this elf would be put-off by being too bold and he wasn't about to make the wrong move with him. He decided to gauge this one's personality a little. "I was curious as to why a pen-neth, such as you would be out so close to nightfall." Glorfindel asked.

Thranduil was slightly insulted to be called young, but honestly he was used to it as well, most thought him younger than he truly was. Also the charm in the other's voice was easy to detect Thranduil decided two could play at this game. "If you consider me to be so young...why not tell me why an Pen-iaur would be trying to charm an elfling? Wouldn't you be better off with your own age?" Thranduil asked a small smile upon his features.

Glorfindel scoffed a little, this elf's tone of voice removed the possibility of him being too young, and he was well past his majority. Although most elf's compared to Glorfindel were young anyway. "Forgive my assumption, your features are rather fair and fooled my better judgment, you must fool many." Glorfindel said taking a step closer making Thranduil take a step back, which confused him but continued the talk. "But why are you alone? Most here like company of others, yet you choose to be alone."

"I keep my company limited...I like my privacy is all. Now if you'll excuse me." Thranduil said turning his back to the other and intending to return to his talan.

"You like your solitary so much I can't even have a conversation with you?" Glorfindel asked, usually his charm made others react the way he wanted, or at least what they thought he wanted.

"That is not it...although it is late and I am tired." Thranduil said looking at the forest floor, for some reason he felt almost inferior to this bold elf in front of him and while he would never admit to it...the other probably knew.

"Then...by that standing, may I see you tomorrow?" Glorfindel asked.

Thranduil sighed heavily, he wasn't an idiot and it was clear to see what this elf wanted from him in the long run but Thranduil didn't want to encourage anything by agreeing to meet with him tomorrow. "I must graciously decline." Thranduil said turning to leave once again, but Glorfindel stepped in his path preventing him.

Glorfindel stepped in front of him. "Come now Lirimaer, we have just met...why must you part from my company so soon." Glorfindel was usually very charismatic but with this elf it seemed to only roll off his shoulder.

Thranduil sighed, now a little irritated with the other, such forward remarks and body language were the exact things Thranduil was trying to avoid, he figured he might as well put a stop to this one's advances now if he wished to be left alone.

"You assume very much to think your charm and charisma effect me good elf. I suppose it works on the inexperienced and curious...but I am neither and am not to be so easily seduced by a few charming words and empty flattery." Thranduil paused at the blanched expression the other wore before he continued. "You seem to be the type that's played this scene over many times before..." He leaned close to the other and whispered. "What makes you think it would work upon me?" He said looking straight into Glorfindel's eyes as if trying to find an answer for his question.

"My, my aren't we taxing?" Glorfindel said the charm in his eyes and voice changing into something more animalistic and raw. Glorfindel was not so easily put off, although this elf was something new all together, beautiful, intelligent, and challenging and how Glorfindel loved a good challenge. "Do you push this hard against anyone who approaches you? Most take the hint and leave you be I'm sure...what makes you think it would work upon me?" He asked back not letting this one go so easily.

Thranduil glared at the other menacingly. He knew it wasn't having the effect he intended though. "I spend my time during the ritual alone, surely you can respect that?" Thranduil said. "And I'm sure your charm would work upon any other, go conquer them for I am not interested in becoming just another tally mark on your roster."

"Only if I wanted to...and deliberately or not you've made yourself ten fold more alluring than before by seeing straight through my normal act. Had you fallen under it my interest would soon be lost but no, your smart enough to know it for what it truly is." Glorfindel smiled seductively at this other elf who watched him so carefully now. "Do not worry, I will leave you be for tonight, I have no patience for a chase right now and the night is still young...but I intend to catch you later pen-neth...and I will make you scream." He said startling Thranduil a bit at his choice of words as he walked away.

Thranduil stood shocked for a moment as he stared at the wake of the bold, and as much as he hated to admit it, enticing elf. None had ever been so brave as to talk to him in such a way before and it sent shivers down his spine. He found it odd he actually liked the tone of voice being so raw accompanied by rough words, it left him flushed and breathless...and it made him want to hear them again. He had never been talked to like that, because of his position, as King of Mirkwood but this elf didn't know whom he was so it was a little refreshing to be treated as an equal...although this elf did not really treat him in such a way, this elf regarded him as young and as a subordinate to him. Thranduil smiled slightly, oh how wrong he was.

Terrance broke him form his thoughts, "My friend?" he said as Thranduil turned to face him. "I brought food up to our Talan and wine, let us share a cup." He said.

"I would like that." Thranduil said following Terrance back to their Talan.
Chapter end notes: [Mellonen] - My friend
[Taurelasse] - Forest Leaf
[Meldir] - friend
[Pen-neth] - Young one
[Pen-iaur] - Ancient one
[Lirimaer] - lovely one