Natul Poika (Becoming Pure) by Nerwen

The next day Thranduil woke up very relaxed and feeling somewhat rejuvenated. He and Terrance had talked late into the night while sharing a bottle of wine, and he greatly enjoyed catching up with his dear friend which more often than not Thranduil had been neglecting as of late. He felt lighter and happier than he had in quite some time. He usually did after he had cleansed and decided that a walk through the forest would be nice, granted he would stay to the outskirts but it was quite and it allowed him to collect his thoughts.

He walked keeping his eyes on the floor, but he wasn't watching his feet he was watching the earth, he and his people lived in caves, and Mirkwood's earth had many caves already and the earth, Mirkwood held stone's as large as castles. Thranduil's palace was actually one of those hallowed out stones. But this earth was not like that of his homeland, it was soft and it sunk slightly when he would press down with his foot.

This place was so beautiful and welcoming, he felt at ease and calm. He briefly wondered why he avoided this place with such urgency as he used to.

"It's good to see you are an early riser today like myself Lirimaer."

A voice spoke from behind him making Thranduil remember why he avoided this place.
Thranduil gave a heavy sigh, irritated to no longer be alone, but even so turned to slightly bow to the other elf "Maer aur." He said with little emotion.

"The morn fairs...I have seen better mornings, normally when my bed is not empty." Glorfindel said.

"Oh? Did your wonderful charm fail twice in the same day? You make it sound like a first, although I find that hard to believe." Thranduil said.

Glorfindel scoffed, he liked this elf's cocky attitude towards him. "I chose to make it an early evening, I wanted to catch you and I usually sleep late for I stay up during the night to...entertain." He said.

"You are rather vulgar, and I find your company most repellant...why you are even wasting your time with me, I'd like to know. You are arrogant in yourself...and self-confidant enough and by that I assume that you have no trouble filling your bed...if I am right, then why are you pursuing me? What have I done to make you think I'm even the slightest bit interested in you?" Thranduil asked not wanting to spend his remainder of the ceremony in confrontation with this one.

"I pursue you because you are the only one who has ever refused me before, not to mention you challenge me, most would bend over backward if they thought it to please me but you don't..."

"I won't." Thranduil said correcting him with a strong voice.

"You see? Right there is why I pursue you...you are bold and do not fear me, I like that about you." Glorfindel said pausing a moment. "And I want to break you of that, force you to bend to my wishes if I must, make you surrender to me completely without resisting me, if I must bind you hand and foot trust me when I say that I will."

Thranduil frowned. "You would take me against my will?"

"Hardly, I would never force myself upon another, I have a strong moral against that...you realized already though that I have never had a challenge like you, so my method of persuasion might be a bit violent...but you'll want it long before I even start." Glorfindel said watching the other closely for a reaction, seeing only small perplexed frown, but he took it as piqued curiosity.

Terrance's voice broke them both from their thoughts "I doubt he would take kindly to that method...and nor would I." He said taking a place next to Thranduil his protective nature toward his friend showing obviously.

Glorfindel only smiled. "I suppose you are his escort?" He asked.

A small smile from Terrance confirmed this. Glorfindel took a moment to study this elf. His hair was an odd shade; it was a burgundy almost red color that reached a little past his shoulders, his eyes being a deep forest green color. His stature was tall and obviously strong, you could see the well-trained muscles under the fabric of his clothing. But there was something amiss his left arm was completely concealed by a long glove and he allowed his hair to cover most of the left side of his face, he couldn't see exactly what it was the other was hiding but they appeared to be...scars? Glorfindel shook his head of Terrance, that elf was not his interest as Glorfindel took a step closer to Thranduil causing Terrance to give him a venomous stare making Glorfindel smile.

"...Or are you his lover?" Glorfindel asked turning fully to Terrance catching him off guard.

"...No." Terrance said. "I...I am his escort...his friend." Terrance said, hesitant in his words of what Thranduil meant to him. "I will ask you politely to leave him alone, no doubt he had already asked you himself yet you continue to harass him, but I suggest you heed my word." Terrance said. He looked to Thranduil a moment who obviously appreciated Terrance's words and protectiveness.

"I doubt mere words by you will intimidate me, very little does. I will do as I want. Moreover, by the rules of the ceremony, as long as I do no harm I am free to pursue whomever I please, and I have yet to even touch him." Glorfindel said.

"You would do well to keep your hands to yourself, if I find you have touched him in an inappropriate way you will answer to me." Terrance said.

"You have quite a protective friend here Lirimaer...maybe we could settle things now?" Glorfindel said. "A match against your escort, if I win you will spend a day alone with me...and if he wins I will stop my chase of you." He said.

Thranduil glared angrily at Glorfindel. "No. I will not be set as a prize over a foolish game! I am not some trophy to be passed to the next contestant who finds me desirable, and I will not be fought over!" This was very stressing and that was what Thranduil wished to avoid in all this.

"This could turn in your favor, it's not as if I would make you do anything you did not wish too...I already told you I would not force you." Glorfindel said.

Thranduil looked to Terrance who looked at him. "If you wish it, I will do as you ask." Terrance said.

Thranduil shook his head, "I will not place you against one another and I will not be a reward..." Thranduil said before turning to Glorfindel. "I will spend an evening with you if that is what you desire so terribly bad..." Thranduil said with a slight hesitation.

Terrance looked at him concerned, not wanting Thranduil to spend any type of time with this elf especially not alone. But Thranduil seemed to know what he was doing and Terrance had to respect that his friend was intelligent enough.

"That is less than I desire...but it will suffice for now." Glorfindel said. "May I meet you for the midday meal...here?" He asked.

"I had plans to go to the sword-play tournament later, meet me there." Thranduil said as Glorfindel bowed giving Terrance a challenging look before walking away.

Once Glorfindel was out of sight and earshot Terrance turned to Thranduil. "You plan on seeing your eldest." Terrance said knowing the crown prince was just as protective of his father as he was himself. "Good enough strategy to possibly turn him away."

"What else was I to do? I was not about to watch you two fight over me. Promise me you will do nothing so foolish for me." Thranduil said and Terrance frowned.

"You must understand that I have dedicated myself to protect you and your family, if I must fight to protect you I will, so I cannot promise that I will not be foolish...especially when it comes to you my lord." Terrance said with a soft smile.

Thranduil couldn't help but smile back at him. "Your dedication is remarkable to me...and I am grateful to you, you will always be my cherished one Terrance, never forget that." Thranduil said shocking Terrance for a moment for actually using his name as he began to walk away apparently heading for the tournament that would take place after the midday meal.




Thranduil watched with satisfaction and delight as his eldest son, Valandil, fought with many elf's that wished to challenge him, as of yet he was undefeated. Thranduil knew he was skilled with a sword but did not know how well his skills were defined, he was remarkable, and Thranduil felt himself filled with pride at simply watching him. As he watched his son he realized just how much the prince resembled his own father Oropher, the same color hair and eyes, athough Valandil had a more silver color to his eyes and hair rather than the grey color that Oropher had, but nevertheless his build, the way he held himself...it was so much like Oropher.

Valandil was currently battling with an older elf, but he still overthrew him as he smiled running a hand through his short silver hair with a smug look upon his face. He was becoming arrogant in his success, but he had the right to be prideful...at least for the moment.

Thranduil's watch of the games were inturupted by Glorfindel. "You seem quite interested in the current champion of this game...he is quite skillful if I do say so myself though." Glorifndel said.

"Do you have any skill with the sword?" Thranduil asked turning his eyes back to his son for a moment caught his gaze and flashed him a brilliant smile.

Glorfindel frowned at the smile exchanged between the two, they obviously knew one another. "I do...but unless it is necassarry I prefer not to pick one up, I have had my fair share of battles in life and I do not thirst for more." He said catching Thranduil's gaze.

"I agree with that, but I doubt the ones in the tournament thirst for battle, it is a simple game intended for fun...and it's harmless. I enjoy seeing others having a good time...it allows me to belive that good times are still to be had." Thranduil said.

"I'm sure of that." Glorifndel said gracing a hand against Thranduil's cheek who pulled away instantly from the touch and gave him a venomus stare. This action did not go unnoticed by Valandil who, as stated beore, was very protective of his father.

"You will maintain your distance good-elf." Thranduil said sarachasim dripping form his words.

"Come now Lirimaer, I barely caressed your cheek...is that too forward?" Glorfindel asked.

"Stop calling me Lirimaer, and please do not touch me. I do not know you well enough to accept such advances in grace or calmness...it makes me nervous." Thranduil said looking away, noticing his son no longer on the tournament field.

"Very well." Glorfindel said to Thranduil's surprise that he accepted his request. "Although I must call you something besides elf...since you do not wish to be called Lirimaer...what should I call you? Pen-neth? Poicaquen?" Glorfindel asked smiling at Thranduil's expression.

"I have told you before that I am not as young as I appear." Thranduil said. "There is much you have yet to know about me and..." Thranduil said stopping mid-sentence as he smiled seeing Valandil walking up to them. "My son, you were doing so well in the tournament, I am disappointed in seeing you leave them so soon." Thranduil said.

Valandil smiled at his father. "There will be more later, I am surprised to see you here though father, I half expected not to see you again until the end of the ceremony...and it's even more surprising to see you without your escort." Valandil said.

Glorfindel was for a moment taken aback, this elf had children...or at least a child. Did that mean he already had a mate? No, he couldn't be attached, elf's that were already wedded or bonded would attend the ceremony together, and it was rule that had to be followed. However, he was obviously involved with someone at one point in time and undoubtedly female, he might not be interested in males...Glorfindel had a whole new set of questions he wanted answers too at the meeting of his son.

Valandil turned to Glorfindel. "A friend of yours father?" Valandil asked taking in Glorfindel for measure.

Glorfindel frowned, this beautiful elf had planned this, he intended him to meet this obviously protective son and be put off. It was working for a split second but he quickly composed himself he would not let this elf win so easily.

Glorfindel smiled. "I was granted the divine pleasure of sharing the evening with your father, we are slowly getting to know each other better." Glorfindel said knowing he would have to tread softly around this one. His escort was a completely different matter; between an escort and a son...there was no comparison.

"Father, me and my brother are meeting for supper later, he expressed wanting to see you, would you please join us?" Valandil asked.

"I will attend, is it my youngest who wished for me?" Thranduil asked.

"I have not seen the little one since we arrived, I believe he is enjoying himself with those closer to his own age, although I know he is going to join the archery tournament in a few days time. Can I expect to see you there?" Valandil asked.

"I do not know as of yet...but I will try." Thranduil said. "Where do you wish to meet?" Thranduil asked.

"It will be near the arrival plot, you will not be able to miss it father." Valandil said giving one last warning look to Glorfindel telling him with his eyes that should anything happen to his father by Glorfindel's hands he would answer to now two elf's, his son and his escort.

Thranduil smiled as his son walked away and looked at Glorfindel. "You seemed slightly surprised in meeting him." Thranduil said.

"I did not know you had children, was it three?" Glorfindel asked.

"Yes, three sons." Thranduil said beginning to walk away form the busy tournament field and further into the quiet forest area.

"If you do not mind me asking, where is your mate? You understand that if you are bonded you must attend the ceremony together correct." Glorfindel asked wanting make sure that this elf was no longer attached.

"My wife passed away long ago, shortly after the birth of my third child. I know of all the rules of the ritual, I would not break them especially not on my first visit." Thranduil said.

"I am sorry for your loss..." Glorfindel said knowing that this elf had to have been bonded before, considering he had children, and if he was alone now that meant that the mate had to have passed or sailed to the Valloir. "Forgive me, but why did you two never visit the ceremony together, this being your first time its concluded she didn't attend either." Glorfindel said.

"We didn't need to travel to be together, and the realms of all elf's are quiet during this time...most are here. We didn't need or want a special ceremony to re-affirm our love or cleanse our souls. We were...happy just being with one another, we needed no one else." Thranduil said a small pain in his chest as he spoke of his wife.

"You speak so splendidly of her...you must have loved her very much." Glorfindel frowned it was obvious this elf was one that loved with absolute abandon...his love was a true love that would never falter. It was quite possible that he didn't know how to love without laying his heart on the line." Glorfindel sighed. "You still love her don't you? She still holds your heart...and that is why you shun others, except for your children and your friend."

"That is not it...not exactly...I know she is dead, I am not deluding myself to think otherwise, but why would I ever want to forget her? To simply indulge myself in pleasure? She deserves more than that and I refuse to dishonor her by taking a lover I have no intention of staying with, above all when they have no intention to stay with me either." Thranduil paused. "I owe her that much at least."

Glorfindel nodded, he understood this elf's position better now. It wasn't so much him, Thranduil simply wouldn't feel right being taken or taking, he still felt he owed his wife...he looked into the beautiful sapphire eyes Thranduil had. "You still yearn to feel that you belonged to her, although you know as well as anyone else you never truly have belonged to anyone...I can see that clearly in your eyes, you loved her yes and bonded to her I'm sure, but that sense of belong was never accomplished with her, and you still yearn to feel it...but she has departed, you must fear getting close to another and never feeling complete...that sense of belong can be reached with another you know." Glorfindel said.

"Of course, but I am not like you...I cannot have a fleeting moment of love and I will not indulge myself in lust." Thranduil said.

"I understand that." Glorfindel said truly understanding him now, although even more intrigued by him, he was just as beautiful on the inside as he was on the outside.

"If you do then please...I beg of you to leave me be." Thranduil said.

"Why would I do that? Every time we meet I become more and more infatuated with you, you've proven to me now you are worth all the trouble in the world...should you allow me close to you, whatever the cost, I believe it would be worth it in the end." Glorfindel said.

"And after you claim your prize?" Thranduil asked still skeptical.

"Prize? You said so yourself you are no such thing...I will not treat you as such either, you are worth more than a fleeting night. You are a privilege of which I should be honored to even be near, beautiful and pure...in love if nothing else. You are a dying breed lirimaer...and I would cherish you like no other would, for I see and understand what they do not, what they will not...you opened yourself up to me and I see your heart." Glorfindel said leaving Thranduil speechless for a god few moments.

"...But I have yet to see yours..." Thranduil said.
Chapter end notes: [Lirimaer] - lovely one
[Maer aur] - Good Morning
[Pen-neth] - Young one
[Poicaquen] - Pure one