My Fair Mortal by DragonStar

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: Beta: Many thankyous to Osprey, my charming beta.
Aragorn ducked under the tree branch, placing his feet so no sound could be heard when he walked. One hand remained on his sword hilt, as his ears strained for sound.

A crunch to his left alerted him to the prescence of another. He whipped around, peering through the bushy undergrowth to see if he could spot them. Suddenly, another crunch to his far right made his whirl around, only to trip over a piece of rope and fall flat on his back.

"I see the grace of humans has yet to be discovered." Said a voice from the tree above him.

Two elves wandered slowly from the underbrush, swords drawn. Another dropped from the top of the tree, landing mere centimetres from the man's head. All were tall, fair haired and green eyed, and all dressed in clothes of grey.

"Who are you?" the elf knelt next to him, holding his down with one hand on his chest, the other gripping a long knife. "Who are you?" he demanded yet again.

"Estel!" Aragorn cried as the elf placed his knife at his throat. "Estel of Rivendell!"

The elf laughed. His companions smirked, stepping in closer. Aragorn shifted as much as he dare, he had landed with his left arm beneath him, and the pain shot up in bolts as he moved. He swallowed heavily, not moving his eyes from that of his captors. Something cold reached his fingers, and he made a conscious effort not to let his surprise show. His knife had slipped from its' sheath, and now lay in his hand, flat against his back.

"Well, Estel," the elf said. "You shall come with us."

"I must return to Rivendell!" he cried. "You must let me go!"

The elves laughed. "We are taking you with us, and deciding your punishment for sneaking upon a camp of Elves when we return."

Aragorn tensed, the pain in his arm growing. "Let me go!" he ordered.

The elf struck him hard, across his face. He felt his upper lip split, and tasted his own blood as it filled his mouth. The elf had removed the knife, letting him roll towards the elf's knees and spit out the blood that was choking him. He kept the knife pressed firmly out of view, beneath his jacket.

"You will stay with us." The elf snapped. "Unless you would like me to discipline you further."

"Fine." Aragorn spat. The elf seized him by the collar and dragged him into a sitting position, their faces centimetres apart.

"Do as I say," the elf said. "Or you will not live to regret it."

Aragorn spat blood into the elf's face, and coughed when he pulled away, wiping the muck from his porcelain skin. He glared at the man, and then seized him again.

"We have ways of punishing..."

He broke off suddenly, feeling the cool steel point of the knife come to rest over the fabric covering his stomach. He paled as much as his already pale skin would allow, and stood slowly, dragging the man up with him.

He made to walk to his brethren, but Aragorn grabbed him and placed the knife to his throat. "Now, trouble me again when I have a quest to attend to in Rivendell, and you shall pay." He whispered, dragging the knife upwards slowly, cutting the skin in front of his right ear.

And with that, he gathered his things and took off, leaving the elf to clutch at his bleeding ear, and curse him loudly.


Aragorn sighed, removing his fingerless gloves and dipping his weary hands into the cool water, splashing both face and neck with it. With another, happier sigh, he leant back against a rock and put both hands behind his head and closed his eyes, drifting between consciousness and sleep.

"Vedui Aragorn." Said a voice to his right.

He smiled sleepily. "Vedui, Haldir of Lorien."

Haldir sat on his left, placing his weapons down. The Marchwarden sighed, staring out over the glassy river.

"My shift is over, I thought to come and talk with you for a while."

"I see. How go the borders, my friend?"

"Good. We have seen many orcs these past few days. Many, all heading through the forest to Isengard."

Aragorn opened his eyes, slumping his shoulders as he remembered Sarumans' betrayal. Haldir did not notice, for he still stared out over the river, watching the moonlight play on the surface. Aragorn watched him for a moment, his eyes surveying the Marchwardens' troubled face. He noted how Haldirs' hair was braided differently to that of Legolas, when his attention was drawn to a thin white scar that ran from the elfs' neck to the top edge of his ear.

"Where did you get this?" he asked, gingerly reaching out to touch the line. Haldir jumped at the touch.

"I was attacked." He said quickly, pulling from Aragorns' hand.

"I would say the same thing." Aragorn muttered, smiling wryly. He showed the elf the scar on his upper lip, and watched Haldir's reaction.

"How did you get that?"

"You hit me, I believe."

"I did what-?"

"You struck me nearly...fifty years ago? I was walking through Lorien, when I tripped over one of your brother's traps, and when I failed to comply with your demands, you struck me."

Haldir looked like he was going to speak, yet Aragorn continued gently. "It was you, wasn't it? I remember giving someone a scar like that. I do forgive you."

Haldir took a shuddering breath. "I accept it, Aragorn. I am truly sorry, my friend. I should not have fallen once again to my brothers' dares. I did not mean to hit you quite so."

Aragorn smiled reassuringly, and the elf smiled weakly back. He reached out and laid a hand on Haldirs' arm, and somehow the elf was comforted.

"I heard the others talking about heading to Amon Hen next," Haldir whispered.

"That is where we leave for in two days." Aragorn replied.

"Must you go that way?"

"We have no other option."

Haldir took a deep breath and sat back against the rock. Aragorn sighed, leaning back as well. He did not, however, remove his hand from Haldirs' forearm. Nor did Haldir seem to mind.

"Must you leave at all?" he said eventually.

"I swore to protect Frodo. I honour my oaths. Would you have me stay?"

"I would. If it were to keep you safe, and out of harm, then yes. I would have you stay. With me." Haldir added as an afterthought.

Aragorn sat up, staring sidelong at the Galadhrim. Haldir merely smiled sleepily.

"Did you...?"

"I did, I believe. And I do."

Aragorn made to speak, only to find he had no words. His cheeks were coloured, he felt the heat in them, and was thankful for the darkness. He felt Haldir shift slightly, then move in closer, until his lips brushed the man's ear.

"And I meant it." He whispered.

Aragorn felt a sudden jolt course up his fingers where they touched Haldirs' arm. He smiled softly when the elf move backwards to watch his face. He reached up a hand, cradling the back of Haldirs' head, feeling the smooth hair beneath his fingertips. Haldir leant his head back and closed his eyes, smiling. He opened them again when Aragorns' hand moved to his neck.

"Had I the choice," Aragorn whispered. "I would stay too."

And he pulled Haldir in, seizing his mouth with his own, and shared a warm kiss. The Galadhrim tasted of gold and sunlight, and of the Nimrodel waters. Haldir kissed him back fiercely, wishing for the moment never to end.

Aragorn pulled back reluctantly, gasping for breath. Haldir smiled softly, on hand on the man's cheek. He chuckled quietly to himself as he felt him lean into the touch, and then moved in for yet another kiss.

A movement nearby distracted them, and they drew apart. Another figure washed in the waters nearby, shaking long hair from his eyes. Haldir sighed, gathering his weapons. They could not risk being disturbed again.

"Come, melindo. I know where we will not be disturbed."

They left arm in arm, Aragorn resting his head on Haldirs' shoulder. Behind them, Legolas looked up from the river and smiled.