My Princess by Major Clanger

Story notes: My first foray into LOTR fic which, compared to what I usually write, is very difficult. That one scene in The Two Towers (you know the one, where Legolas gives Aragorn the pendant) which was pointed out to me by someone else, is sooo slashy, this fic had to be written. Thanks to Gracie for the (sometimes brutal) beta, and the Doc and Delease for liking it.
The forest was silent now, as Legolas came to a halt at the edge of the small clearing. He was unsure of what to do next, and dithered uncertainly until Gimli caught up with him. They exchanged looks, but neither of them made a further move into the space before them. The last of the orcs had either fled or exhaled their last foul breath on the forest floor, and the smell of death hung heavily. In silence the two members of the fellowship looked into the glade.

Pale autumnal sunshine filtered through the canopy of green and golden leaves above the two men. It glinted off the metal reinforcements of their leather armour, and gave their skin an amber tint. A short distance away from the men, the decapitated body of an Uruk-hai spilled obscene, black blood over its bed of leaves. For once, Legolas did not mourn the loss of a life; he was glad that this tormented and twisted creature would not kill again.

Aragorn and Boromir were at the far side of the clearing at the foot of a large tree. Despite the gentle rays of the sun, Boromir's handsome face was pallid and his eyes betrayed his considerable pain and distress. His hands clutched convulsively at Aragorn's arms and he seemed agitated. Speaking pained him, but he clearly had something to get off his chest.

Legolas looked on as Aragorn suppressed the fear and worry of their journey and for the future of their kind. In keeping with the compassionate nature of a healer, he presented a calm presence to Boromir to ease his passage from this life to the next. Aragorn leaned over his comrade and pressed the hilt of Boromir's sword into the dying man's hand.

The man that had been Boromir, son of Denethor, was finally at peace.

Aragorn raised his eyes to meet those of his two remaining companions. Gimli gave a curt nod and stalked around the edge of the clearing to check for any living remnants of the orc band that had waylaid them. Legolas watched the dwarf move among the trees. Gimli kicked aside bodies and shuffled through piles of leaves. After a time, Legolas realized that in his despair over the loss of Boromir, he had paid no heed to the fate of the young hobbits.




They laid the dead man in one of the boats with his sword clasped in his hand. His shield was at his head and, apart from his torn and bloodstained tunic, he looked as though he were sleeping. The man, the dwarf and the elf kept their own council, said their own goodbye, as the river took Boromir home.

A splash and a rustle brought Legolas out of his silent contemplation and he gave a shout. He ran over to remaining boat and tugged it impatiently into the water. Aragorn stilled him, and shook his head – Frodo's path now diverged from theirs. As he stood on the riverbank silently gazing at the point on the opposite side where the hobbits had gone up into the trees Legolas pondered his own mortality. Death had become a grim reality since he had joined the fellowship.

Lost in his thoughts, it was a while before he realised that Gimli and Aragorn were speaking. Legolas abandoned his internal dialogue and listened. He agreed with them, in his current mood, hunting Orc was as good an occupation as any. He ran with them to the last place they could be certain Merry and Pippin had been. Aragorn seemed to have found some reserves of energy that had recently been lacking, and Legolas was glad for this. He had worried that the loss of another of the fellowship so soon after Gandalf would sap more of Aragorn's inner strength than he could afford to lose.

After they had searched the ground around the scene of Boromir's last stand, they ran in the direction that the orc raiders had taken, giving no mind to anything other than their current quest. Night fell quickly and yet on they ran.

Finally Aragorn, with uncharacteristic bad grace, gave in to the need for food and rest. Gimli ate his lembas bread without apparent enjoyment and sat with his back against a boulder. He held his axe at the ready and closed his eyes, in a few short minutes he was asleep. Aragorn took a few bites and a drink, then stood on a small rise apart from the others, gazing in the direction the Orcs had gone. It was clear he begrudged every minute they spent dallying.

Aragorn had his arms wrapped tightly around himself and stood with his shoulders hunched. Legolas watched, shocked, as he appeared to suppress a sob. He gave Aragorn a few moments to compose himself before going to stand beside him. Aragorn did not acknowledge his presence for a few minutes. He spoke without turning to face the elf. "We have failed them badly, and now we think only of ourselves when we should be seeking..."

Legolas cut him off with a light touch to his forearm, running his finger along the engravings on Boromir's bracer which he was touched to see that Aragorn now wore. "It will bring nothing if we are too weak to fight when we reach them." He swallowed before he added, "it is no more your fault than it is Boromir's that the Orcs took them."

Shaking off Legolas' hand, Aragorn turned angry eyes to his friend. "You know well that Boromir died to save them, that he fought his demons within and came out with honour intact."

"And you know that is not what I meant, Aragorn." Legolas folded his arms across his chest. "None of us could have known what would happen, the Ring did not call only to the Son of Gondor." This was said without reproach and Aragorn bowed his head in acquiescence. Legolas nodded towards the dwarf and lowered his voice. "He will not admit it, but dwarves are built for stamina not for speed. He has the heart of a horse, but even he must rest and if we are to save the halflings we must join him."

"It grieves me to think of what they suffer while we tarry here."

"And it grieves me to know that you will run yourself into the ground, and still Merry and Pippin will be delivered to Saruman." Legolas gave Aragorn a gentle push. "Rest, I will take the first watch."

Aragorn tried to read the elf's expression, but Legolas kept his face deliberately bland and after a short time Aragorn submitted to his will. He lay in the lee of Gimli's boulder, wrapped in his cloak. Legolas sat beside him for a while, singing softly under his breath until he knew that Aragorn was asleep. Carefully, Legolas stood and walked over to where Gimli slept. He looked at the dwarf with interest; his long, coarse beard and the axe rose and fell with every breath. Legolas continued to sing softly, his eyes and ears alert for any sound that might indicate danger.

Finally, sure that they had not been followed, he sat cross-legged on a small patch of grass a short distance from the other two. He finished his song, and before he sank into the open-eyed sleep of the elves looked around once more. Legolas was surprised to meet Gimli's gaze.

"Harumph. My heart is stronger than that of a horse," he muttered after his eyes had closed again, but not before he had seen Legolas' answering smile.




Before dawn spread its pale fingers over the dark sky Aragorn roused himself. Legolas stood on the rise, scanning the horizon, Gimli was where Aragorn had last seen him, apparently oblivious to the world. Legolas sang an ancient song, that Aragorn had never heard before, to greet the new day. When he had finished Legolas spoke with quiet confidence. "We will find them."

Once more it was long after dark when they stopped, this time Legolas feigned the need for rest to force Aragorn to agree to a break of a few hours. Aragorn grumbled while he chewed his lembas, standing on a boulder to look out into the blackness in the vain hope of sighting the hobbits.

Following their routine from the previous stop, immediately after their meal Gimli settled himself, leaving the others to come to whatever arrangement they chose.

"You said you were in need of rest, so rest," Aragorn glared at Legolas. "I will take the first watch."

"And you know that I need less rest than you."

Aragorn lay down and wrapped himself tightly in his cloak. He looked up at his companion, who hesitated before sinking down next to him. They lay on their backs in the light of the yellowish moon that hung low in the sky. Legolas shivered. It was too cold to sleep outside but they had no choice, Aragorn moved closer, and muttered something about preserving body heat. Legolas began to sing. His voice was low and soothing, the song helped them to relax towards sleep.

"I am not a child, Legolas, for you to comfort after a nightmare."

"I know, Aragorn, but I am sorely pressed to help heal your wounds."

"Some wounds can never be healed. Do you have such wounds, Legolas?" Aragorn's voice was muffled by the cloak. His face was mostly obscured and Legolas could not read his expression.

Legolas gave the merest hint of a shake of his head.

"Perhaps it is better that way."

"Perhaps. Rest now." He watched as Aragorn was taken over by sleep. "The wounds are already there," he murmured in Elvish.

Now Legolas tried to clear his mind and sleep but Aragorn's proximity made it impossible. Since they had first met Aragorn had never been far from Legolas' mind, buried as much as he could bear, but a constant presence nevertheless. As if he could sense what Legolas was thinking Aragorn shifted, rolling onto his side to face away from his companion. Legolas spooned up behind Aragorn, telling himself it was to share body warmth, but knowing that he simply craved the closeness. He did not want to examine his feelings for the man because he was afraid of what he knew he would find. More than that – he was afraid of the consequences.

Legolas was confused by his feelings. He had always assumed that he would eventually find a mate, and it had never occurred to him that she would be anything other than a female elf. The feelings that Aragorn had awakened in him were intense and frightening because Legolas had no idea why he should be so attracted to him. After all, he was nowhere near as fair as an elf, male or female. He was passionate about what he believed in, a brave warrior and a skilled tracker. All things that Legolas admired. But was that enough reason to love him?

Aragorn moved again and Legolas' heart jumped. He felt a stab of guilt and then a sudden and unexpected flash of jealousy. He had watched Aragorn sleep before while he had been on watch. Legolas imagined that now, as then, Aragorn slept with his hand tightly clasped around Arwen's jewel. He felt a pang as he realised that even now Aragorn would be thinking of her. Legolas hoped it gave him comfort and forced himself to sleep.




They ran until their lungs and legs protested. They ran with a desperation born of the sense of the futility of their search. They continued to run when their bodies shouted at them to stop and pressed on with their unrelenting pace.

Legolas wondered if Gimli was homesick for the deep caverns of his people, this was no terrain for one of his kind. The dwarf stumbled over tussocks and hidden rocks, and grumbled most of the time, but he kept up with the others, and they knew that his complaints were his way of getting through the day.

That day their exhausting hunt was rewarded when Aragorn found one of the brooches that had been gifted by Galadriel trodden into the mud. Gimli and Legolas agreed with him that it had not fallen by chance, which lifted all their spirits. Legolas quashed his fear that if they were wrong the omens boded ill for the hobbits He preferred to believe in Aragorn's skill as a tracker.

They sat beneath the protection of a rocky outcrop with their backs against the boulders and took some refreshment. Gimli only ate little of the lembas then collapsed, exhausted into sleep. Aragorn and Legolas moved away from Gimli and sat together in uncomfortable silence. Aragorn tried to make eye contact with Legolas, who steadfastly refused to meet his gaze. "Legolas, we have to speak of that which is distressing you."

"It is nothing with which you should concern yourself, Aragorn," Legolas tried to move away, but with a swift movement, Aragorn grabbed his wrist and prevented his flight.

"Legolas, please, don't... to see you like this..." Words failed him, he moved closer and put his arms around Legolas. Aragorn spoke quietly in Elvish, his mouth against Legolas' fine hair. Legolas was torn between his need to take the comfort that Aragorn offered and his guilt at wanting what belonged to another. "We cannot choose who we love, Legolas."

Legolas freed himself from Aragorn's embrace and moved out of reach. He perched on a rock and schooled his face into his usual detached mask.

"Legolas... I... we will be together for a long time. Maybe we will die together," the harsh words provoked no reaction and Aragorn was surprised at the anger this stirred in him. "I do not think you would wish to die with this unresolved between us," Legolas' flinch gave Aragorn a guilty twinge, but having pushed in the dagger he twisted it, "I would not wish to die with this unresolved between us."

Legolas opened his mouth to reply, but whatever he might said went unspoken. They both jumped to their feet as Gimli approached. "Yet again the dwarf is ready whilst you sit in idle chatter." If he noticed a frosty atmosphere he gave no sign. Gimli clapped Legolas on the back and tugged at his cloak before setting off at a fast jog. He did not check if his companions followed. Legolas sprang to his feet and ran past the dwarf with his hair and cloak streaming behind him.

The elf set a hard pace, stopping occasionally to let Gimli and Aragorn almost catch up before running off again. After many hours it registered with Legolas that the puffing, panting and grumbling behind him had subtly changed in tone. He came to a stop and looked around guiltily as the others caught up with him. Yet again they sought shelter and took out their now dwindling lembas supply, chewing in silence as they recovered.

On this occasion Legolas remained standing and gave every indication that he was ready to resume their trek. Aragorn resolutely refused to move, discreetly inclining his head towards Gimli, who was nodding over his axe.

Jolted by his selfish behaviour, Legolas walked over to Gimli and touched him lightly on the shoulder. "Gimli," he crouched down and whispered conspiratorially, "I think Aragorn should rest a little. I'll watch. If you sleep I think he would too." Legolas glanced over at Aragorn out of the corner of his eye. Aragorn gave him a nod of approval.

Without waiting for Gimli's reply Legolas took up a position where he had a good view of all approaches to their location.

Legolas was singing. His plaintive song ended abruptly and he stiffened his already almost impossibly straight spine as Aragorn approached.

Aragorn ran a hand across his face and took one step towards Legolas' rock. Legolas could feel his stillness, like a hunter stalking a quarry. "Legolas, we must talk."

"We have no need to talk."

"Legolas..."

"No, Aragorn. What we do now... Frodo and Sam... Gandalf and Boromir's deaths... these things are more important. Tomorrow we will reach Rohan. Perhaps we will..." His voice petered out. Instead of his usual loose-limbed cross-legged position, Legolas sat with his knees drawn up to his chest and his ankles crossed. His arms were clasped tightly around his legs. His whole being screamed 'leave me'. Aragorn nodded, turned and walked away. Legolas watched as he wrapped himself in his cloak and closed his eyes. He could not tell if the man was asleep or not.

Legolas sat where he was for a long time before he lay down. This time he made sure that Gimli was between them. Unable to sleep, he lay with open eyes and a heavy heart.

The new day dawned and because Aragorn was impatient to be on their way, they ate as they ran. It was the only time that Gimli had run in silence, but Legolas was not in good spirits, and did not make any comment at this. Aragorn led the way by tacit agreement, Legolas did not wish to feel the man's eyes on his back while they ran.