The Ties That Bind Us by Wilde Phyre

Story notes: Warning: This is going to contain quite a fair bit of Arwen bashing.
Legolas wearily surveyed the carnage before him. The battle of Helm's Deep had finally ended, but at what cost? His gaze scanned the plains, passing over the dead and dying, many of them his kinsmen, immortals who were not suppose to die. Then, like a pendulum, his glance swung backwards over the path it had travelled, backwards over the blood and gore, backwards to the inert figure of Aragorn.

Aragorn lay unmoving, his armour shining crimson with fresh blood. Legolas ran to him, to his Estel. Multiple wounds covered Aragorn's unmoving body, his breathing shallow, and his pulse erratic. "Estel" Legolas whispered softly, cradling the ranger's head in his arms.

Slowly, Aragorn opened his eyes, his once sparkling brown eyes now glazed over at the approaching of death. "Is it over?" he hoarsely asked, his pain evident in his voice.

"The day is won" Legolas replied, "but you my friend, do not look too well" he said, trying to keep the desperation out of his of voice. Legolas' hands moved quickly, tearing strips of fabric from his already tattered tunic in an attempt to bind his friend's ragged wounds. Aragorn weakly clasped his wrist, stopping him. "It's too late my friend," he whispered. "Please Legolas, return this to fair Lady Arwen with all my love, and tell her that I'm sorry". Aragorn painfully took the evenstar from around his neck and placed in Legolas' blood stained hands.

Muttering a curse, Legolas gave the elven jewellery back to his friend. "Tell her yourself Estel, for I promise you will live to see your fair lady again". So saying, the elf gently picked up the dying man and hurriedly made his way back towards the fortress, shutting out the groans and pleas for help from the dying, mindful only of the laboured breathing coming from the precious bundle he held in his arms.

You must not die Estel Legolas thought desperately, if not for me, then for Arwen, for your people. I promised that you would live to return to her. I do not care anymore if you never find out how much you mean to me. I'll let you return to her side, I won't complicate things by telling you, I'll won't be selfish anymore, I'll let the two of you live in peace, I'll do anything Aragorn, anything you want me to, as long as you don't die. Please Aragorn, please don't take my Estel away

Legolas rushed up the flights of stairs leading towards the great hall, carrying the unconscious ranger in his arms, his own weariness and pain forgotten. Upon reaching the now heavily guarded door of the great hall, Legolas kicked it open with a flourish and called for help.

Gimili's smiling face fell as he caught sight of the bleeding ranger. "Call for Gandalf and fetch all the supplies you can get your hands on Gimili", he tossed the words over his shoulder at the bewildered dwarf as he made his way towards the King's chamber.

Legolas laid Aragorn upon the bed and as gently as possible, began to strip the armour and bloodied tunic from him, exposing the horrendous wounds. Legolas gasped as he finally realised the full extent of the ma's wounds. Three deep gashes ran along Aragorn's chest, and a fourth across his belly. Dark blood was still oozing from these cuts and Legolas suspected that the blades had been edged with poison. He took the man's hand, which had become alarmingly cold and clasped it tightly, willing Aragorn to live.

Gandalf burst into the chamber, followed by Gimili and …owyn, carrying great jugs of hot water and bundles of healing herbs and strips of bandages. Gandalf knelt softly beside the elf. "How is he?" he asked, taking in the sight of the prone figure on the bed. "His wounds are yet to be cleaned and bandaged. His body is icy to the touch and I suspect some foul poison is now coursing through his veins, but he is breathing" Legolas answered wearily.

Gandalf picked out the necessary herbs from Gimilis' bundle and began to crush them, making a fine paste before smearing it onto Aragorn's bleeding body. Turning to …owyn, he said, "See to it that the Master Elf's wound is also dressed". Only then did Legolas notice the dull throbbing at his side where the path of an arrow had ploughed a deep groove into his flesh. Whilst …owyn was busily cleaning Legolas' wound, Gimili cleared his throat and asked the question which had been plaguing all their minds. "But what of Aragorn? Will he recover from these grievous wounds?"

With a sigh, Gandalf slowly shook his head. "I do not know what poison has taken hold of him, but it is evident that it's claws have dug deep. The paste containing Athelas does not seem to have any affect at all. His condition seems to be deteriorating before our very eyes. Only Lord Elrond has the power to heal him, but even if Aragorn is able to ride, we will not make it to Rivendell in time. Sending for Lord Elrond will only take more time, time we do not seem to have. Aragorn may not make it through the night."

"But surely Lord Aragorn cannot........." …owyn interjected, tears starting to stream down her face.

"There must be something we can do for him!!!" Gimili bellowed at Gandalf.

"There is nothing to be done" Gandalf replied gravely, speaking directly at Legolas, who was pale and withdrawn from the shock and anguish he was experiencing. "The best that we can hope is for Aragorn to slip peacefully away whilst he sleeps" Gandalf continued.

"He can be saved" Legolas said with conviction in his voice.

"Now, Master Elf" Gimili spoke up, terrified by the wildness he saw in the eyes of the normally placid elf, "You heard what Gandalf has just said, you must let him go". Ignoring the dwarf's words, Legolas looked directly into the old wizards' tired face. "There is a way" he spoke again.

Understanding slowly dawned in Gandalf's eyes. "I cannot allow it, Legolas. The thing you speak of is dangerous under normal circumstances. An immortals' soul cannot be bound to that of a mortal. Even if it can be done, Legolas, you will die when he leaves you to marry Lady Arwen"

"I do not care!!" Legolas exploded. "By binding my soul to his, Aragorn can use my healing powers to sustain himself until we reach Rivendell. I promised him that he would see his lady again, and if it involves my death, then so be it. It has been done before, it will be done again" Legolas said with an air of finality.